inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Facebook start becoming less popular among teens?

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/10/18 at 12:51 pm

I remember when Facebook started becoming very popular around the 2008-2009 school year and by late 2009 it was definitely the most popular site among teens. But nowadays, it seems like older adults are on it, and all the teenagers have moved on to Snapchat and Instagram (myself included ;D) But when do you think this transition happened?

In my area, 2013 seemed like the last year when teens still using Facebook wasn't considered an oddity. Although by late 2013 a lot more teens were using Instagram and it was definitely in full swing by 2014. I would personally say the 2013-2014 school year was the first school year when Facebook was no longer popular with teens.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: When did Facebook start becoming less popular among teens?

Written By: unicornic on 03/10/18 at 12:59 pm

I’d say by 2014. 2010 was the peak year for Facebook.

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 1:01 pm

Around 2013 is when I stopped using it as much because I thought it was lame. I got back into it in 2018 though because old.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/10/18 at 1:03 pm

I stopped using it a short time after high school. Maybe 2013 but I was 20 years old then.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/10/18 at 1:03 pm

Around 2013 is when I stopped using it as much because I thought it was lame. I got back into it in 2018 though because old.

So because old you got on Facebook again? ;D ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 1:05 pm

So because old you got on Facebook again? ;D ;D

Yes :D

I don't mind my older relatives anymore. Before, I thought they were embarrassing :P

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/10/18 at 1:06 pm

Yes :D

I don't mind my older relatives anymore. Before, I thought they were embarrassing :P

So the word "old" made you get on Facebook again.

That makes so much sense. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 1:14 pm

So the word "old" made you get on Facebook again.

That makes so much sense. ;D

Yes I'm one of the olds now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/10/18 at 1:15 pm

Yes I'm one of the olds now.

True. You're ancient history.

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 1:18 pm

True. You're ancient history.

My neck, my back...

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/18 at 1:23 pm

I say by 2014 as well. That's when I heard more people talk about Instagram and Snapchat instead of Facebook. Oh, and I would also extend the group to college students too because around the same time, they stopped going on FB too.

Written By: ofkx on 03/10/18 at 2:34 pm

2014-ish. But I think 2017 was the first year the anyone acknowledged that not a lot of young people use facebook anymore.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/10/18 at 2:40 pm

My neck, my back...

Lick my lollipop and eat my snacks.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/18 at 3:07 pm

Lick my lollipop and eat my snacks.

;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/10/18 at 8:36 pm

Haha ... whenever the parents and Grandparents start to use something .... you can be sure the teens will stop using it.

Written By: prodanny288 on 03/10/18 at 8:44 pm

Haha ... whenever the parents and Grandparents start to use something .... you can be sure the teens will stop using it.

This

Written By: ofkx on 03/11/18 at 6:34 am

This.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/11/18 at 11:38 am

In 2010 people were constantly posting what they were thinking about, and what they had for dinner. The posts were in third person too. I finally deactivated my FB this year.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/14/18 at 8:09 pm

I definitely agree with this. Facebook was to 2010 as to what Snapchat and Instagram are to now. Instagram actually came out in late 2010 so it wasn't even a thing for the majority of 2010.
IMO the 2009-2010 school year was the peak school year for teens going on Facebook.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/18 at 8:16 pm

I definitely agree with this. Facebook was to 2010 as to what Snapchat and Instagram are to now. Instagram actually came out in late 2010 so it wasn't even a thing for the majority of 2010.
IMO the 2009-2010 school year was the peak school year for teens going on Facebook.

I think 2011-2012 was the peak year. Instagram came out late 2010 but didn't get popular until late 2012.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/14/18 at 8:25 pm

I think 2011-2012 was the peak year. Instagram came out late 2010 but didn't get popular until late 2012.

Maybe, but I'm leaning more towards 2009-2010. I've noticed people I know on Instagram as early as 2012 actually, even though Facebook was still popular that year.

The reason why I picked the 2009-2010 school year is that it was the school year Myspace was officially no longer that popular, but at the same time the apps that teenagers use now, like Instagram and Snapchat, weren't out yet. Instagram came out during the 2010-2011 school year and Snapchat came out in the 2011-2012 school year.

Now I'm not saying everyone started using those apps once they came out, I just think it makes sense as to why the 2009-2010 school year would be the peak year for it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/14/18 at 8:31 pm

I would say mid 2012.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/14/18 at 8:33 pm

2012 was the last year of Facebook's peak, before apps such as Instagram and Snapchat started taking over.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 8:36 pm

Facebook went to complete sheeshe when Trayvon Martin happened. It hasn't been the same since.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/14/18 at 8:37 pm

2012 was the last year of Facebook's peak, before apps such as Instagram and Snapchat started taking over.

I guess that is partly why people say 2012 was the last 100% millennial year.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/18 at 8:39 pm

Facebook went to complete sheeshe when Trayvon Martin happened. It hasn't been the same since.

That was before Facebook News/Trends wasn't it?

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 10:26 pm

That was before Facebook News/Trends wasn't it?

I'm not sure but it was when people started giving their opinions on incredibly sensitive matters online despite their identity being public.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/14/18 at 10:38 pm

If you got a Facebook back in 2009 or 2010, you're probably still using it to keep in contact with a lot of people but some may deactivate it if they want to. If you're a teen in high school right now, it's unlikely that you're using Facebook or a lot of your friends aren't using it period. Simple as that.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/14/18 at 10:39 pm

Yeah I agree. 2012 was the year Twitter and Instagram exploded everywhere.

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/15/18 at 11:25 am

Facebook really declined in 2014 with my teenage friends. Many of them stopped posting after the 2013-2014 school year. I still post and comment but Instagram and ESPECIALLY Snapchat are my main methods of Social Media. Twitter is very good for keeping updated on current events and trends.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/18 at 11:48 am

It's become a political/social justice battleground. Before that it was just drama about personal issues. I didn't care for that either, it seemed like everyone is always in your business.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/15/18 at 4:35 pm

I joined in 2011 at first.
up until late 2012 and then deleted it.
Rejoined since early 2014 and noticed a difference in it when I rejoined.

2014 was pretty much the year many grown- ups joined Facebook and the whole focus of it shifted from being a fun novelty for teens and to more as a way of life. Although it could have happened in 2013 but then again I wasn't on it that year!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/15/18 at 6:02 pm

Yeah, I agree. 2012 was the year Twitter and Instagram exploded everywhere.
I agree with Twitter, but Instagram exploded more like in late 2013 or 2014 unless you're specifically talking about teens and college students for 2012.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/15/18 at 7:09 pm

Who could blame teens for steering clear of Facebook? There are far too many aunts there now just sharing chain posts and right-wing memes.  :D

I think it was around late 2012 when Facebook declined in popularity among teens. I remember reading a former college classmate's post from late 2012 saying that none of her classmates were on Facebook anymore.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 03/16/18 at 5:12 am

I'm getting a little nostalgic reading this thread. My friends and I used to flood each other's Facebook walls with dozens of posts, and spam the comment section with our conversations, and then constantly overflow our posts with tagged pictures such as the one uploaded below. I would actually do it so much that my friends got annoyed by me.  It was like my social outlet since I was really shy in middle school and high school. I made a new Facebook account because my first one that I ever made was back in 2010, I was only 13 and I still have all my embarrassing messages and posts saved on that account because it still remains deactivated to this day.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/17/18 at 11:06 pm

I would say around 2013 as a ballpark. But people started getting tired of Facebook before that like in 2011 and 2012. When Google Plus came out, I remember me and my friends thinking it would replace Facebook and make Facebook the new MySpace and we were very excited for it for all the cool new features like the circles (as Facebook was having privacy issues). It looked really appealing and promising. But that prediction ended up being completely wrong lol.

The early 2010s as a whole was like a transitional period between the classic desktop computer based social media platforms of the late 2000s (Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter) to the mobile app based social media platforms of today (Snap Chat, Instagram, etc. and the mobile apps of the legacy social media platforms like Facebook). I know UltraGamingDog will disagree and not like me to say that because he thinks Facebook and Twitter only started to get popular in the early 2010s lol.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/18 at 1:47 pm

I would say around 2013 as a ballpark. But people started getting tired of Facebook before that like in 2011 and 2012. When Google Plus came out, I remember me and my friends thinking it would replace Facebook and make Facebook the new MySpace and we were very excited for it for all the cool new features like the circles (as Facebook was having privacy issues). It looked really appealing and promising. But that prediction ended up being completely wrong lol.

The early 2010s as a whole was like a transitional period between the classic desktop computer-based social media platforms of the late 2000s (Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter) to the mobile app based social media platforms of today (Snap Chat, Instagram, etc. and the mobile apps of the legacy social media platforms like Facebook). I know UltraGamingDog will disagree and not like me to say that because he thinks Facebook and Twitter only started to get popular in the early 2010s lol.
They were? I understand for 2014, but 2011 and '12? That seems too early for people to move on from that site. That was practically the only social media most people had that time. Very few people had Twitter and Instagram those two years.
When did I say that Facebook became popular in the early 10s? ???. It was already mainstream before that but mainly among high school and college folks. The adult population didn't really begin using FB until 2013-14. BTW, I'm not the only one disagreed with you on when Facebook and Twitter began. So did some other users as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 1:50 pm

They were? I understand for 2014, but 2011 and '12? That seems too early for people to move on from that site. That was practically the only social media most people had that time. Very few people had Twitter and Instagram those two years.
When did I say that Facebook became popular in the early 10s? ???. It was already mainstream before that but mainly among high school and college folks. The adult population didn't really begin using FB until 2013-14. BTW, I'm not the only one disagreed with you on when Facebook and Twitter began. So did some other users as well.

Did you read my post? Yes they were. If you read my post you wouldn't have to ask that question. Google Plus was out and everyone wanted to jump ship as they were tired of Facebook in 2011, not 2014. Lol and there you go again claiming Twitter wasn't popular in 2011 when it was already hugely popular in 2009 along with Facebok and I told you that countless times with actual evidence. Very predictable response. Ridiculous  ::) I'm not doing this again with you.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/18 at 2:00 pm

Did you read my post? Yes, they were. If you read my post you wouldn't have to ask that question. Google Plus was out and everyone wanted to jump ship as they were tired of Facebook in 2011, not 2014. Lol and there you go again claiming Twitter wasn't popular in 2011 when it was already hugely popular in 2009 along with Facebook and I told you that countless times with actual evidence. Very predictable response. Ridiculous. ::) I'm not doing this again with you.
I did. Did you read mine though?

Anyway, I disagree that everyone was tired of FB by 2011. By that statement, that meant it would have been dead like Myspace except it didn't.

Oh, and are you aware of who the audience was using those sites at that time or do you think everyone used them? ::)

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 2:12 pm

My mom got FB in 2010. I think 2009/2010 was when it started to become popular among the general population.At my school (and in Canada in general) Facebook got popular in 2007 though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/18 at 2:23 pm

My mom got FB in 2010. I think 2009/2010 was when it started to become popular among the general population.At my school (and in Canada in general) Facebook got popular in 2007 though.
That's what I was saying in the first place. Here, Facebook was popular in the late 00s among high school and college students. By the early 10s though, then the adult population got one although they wouldn't take over for another 3/4 years.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 2:26 pm

Honestly, the entire appeal of Facebook was that it was very clean and mature and not kiddy and annoying like MySpace. Adults went on it the same time teens did, generally in the late 2000s, because it was targeted at adult in the first place.

In the early days, people were mostly sharing pics and notes and doing those little quizzes. Around the 2012 election, and also around the time smartphones and iPads took off, EVERYONE was on it it got political and old people kept sharing their nonsense right wing memes, that's when it went downhill.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/18/18 at 2:33 pm

Honestly, the entire appeal of Facebook was that it was very clean and mature and not kiddy and annoying like MySpace. Adults went on it the same time teens did, generally in the late 2000s, because it was targeted at adult in the first place.

In the early days, people were mostly sharing pics and notes and doing those little quizzes. Around the 2012 election, and also around the time smartphones and iPads took off, EVERYONE was on it it got political and old people kept sharing their nonsense right wing memes, that's when it went downhill.

This. I created a Facebook around 2011 when I was going on 18. I was extremely reluctant to sign up because it seemed to target older people. That is exactly what I said when my classmates began using the site. At the time, I still preferred Myspace because FB didn't have any of the flare MySpace had. In short, I was "forced" to migrate to FB because MySpace was dead.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 2:38 pm

I only signed up to Facebook in 2017 just so I can get prizes from app games just for following their Facebook.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 2:55 pm

This. I created a Facebook around 2011 when I was going on 18. I was extremely reluctant to sign up because it seemed to target older people. That is exactly what I said when my classmates began using the site. At the time, I still preferred Myspace because FB didn't have any of the flare MySpace had. In short, I was "forced" to migrate to FB because MySpace was dead.

Exactly. I've been thinking about this and I don't think we can say teens were ever the pioneers of Facebook. Teens hung onto MySpace for dear life, which is how both MySpace and Facebook managed to be concurrently popular in 2008/2009.

The entire appeal of Facebook was that there weren't many teens on it. At first, you needed an .edu email to get on it. That locked out every teenager right from the get go. By the time it registrations opened up around 2006/2007 is when you started seeing some teens on it, but for the most part it was people in their 20s and 30s on it, and that's the image Facebook advertised: MySpace for mature people.  It hit critical mass in the late 2000s, but the older generation that isn't good with computers (like 50+) didn't get on Facebook until 2011/2012 or so when the iPad got popular (and we know how much senior citizens love their iPads :P) that's when virtually everyone was on it. With apps to compete with like Instagram and Snapchat, Facebook started to lose its allure to teens around 2012/2013.

I think this is the timeline of people joining Facebook, from a teenager's perspective.

2004/2005: My older sister at university is on it.
2005/2006: My working older cousins (25-34) who've graduated from university have it.
2007-2009: Me and my friends are on it.
2010/2011: My parents are on it.
2012+: My grandparents are on it.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 3:41 pm

Exactly. I've been thinking about this and I don't think we can say teens were ever the pioneers of Facebook. Teens hung onto MySpace for dear life, which is how both MySpace and Facebook managed to be concurrently popular in 2008/2009.

The entire appeal of Facebook was that there weren't many teens on it. At first, you needed an .edu email to get on it. That locked out every teenager right from the get go. By the time it registrations opened up around 2006/2007 is when you started seeing some teens on it, but for the most part it was people in their 20s and 30s on it, and that's the image Facebook advertised: MySpace for mature people.  It hit critical mass in the late 2000s, but the older generation that isn't good with computers (like 50+) didn't get on Facebook until 2011/2012 or so when the iPad got popular (and we know how much senior citizens love their iPads :P) that's when virtually everyone was on it. With apps to compete with like Instagram and Snapchat, Facebook started to lose its allure to teens around 2012/2013.

I think this is the timeline of people joining Facebook, from a teenager's perspective.

2005/2006: My working older cousins (25-34) who've graduated from university have it.
2007-2009: Me and my friends are on it.

Facebook was my first social media site and I signed up for it in 2008 when I was 13. It was hugely popular among young teens at that time and I was actually one of the last people to get it at my school. I actually signed up for MySpace afterwards in 2009.

MySpace really started to die off around the 2009 - 2010 school year. In 2011 it was completely dead. It tried to make a comeback in 2012 with Justin Timberlake trying to revive it but it didn't work and it remained dead.

Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook are the three classic social media sites that took off in the late 2000s. Instagram and Snap Chat are like the next generation of social media that took off in the mid 2010s. I predict the next generation of social media after the mobile app generation will be something involving virtual reality and this will probably take off in the early 2020s.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 4:08 pm

Facebook was my first social media site and I signed up for it in 2008 when I was 13. It was hugely popular among young teens at that time and I was actually one of the last people to get it at my school. I actually signed up for MySpace afterwards in 2009.

MySpace really started to die off around the 2009 - 2010 school year. In 2011 it was completely dead. It tried to make a comeback in 2012 with Justin Timberlake trying to revive it but it didn't work and it remained dead.

Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook are the three classic social media sites that took off in the late 2000s. Instagram and Snap Chat are like the next generation of social media that took off in the mid 2010s. I predict the next generation of social media after the mobile app generation will be something involving virtual reality and this will probably take off in the early 2020s.

It needs to be mentioned that there's a country difference here. MySpace was never as big in Canada as it was in the US, so Facebook got popular here in 2007 while it didn't reach that position in the US until 2009. I remember arguing about this in forums in the late 2000s, and people would say MySpace was an American thing and everywhere else people used MSN or Facebook (kind of like how today Americans use SMS/iMessage when the rest of the world is on WhatsApp).

I found this map from August 2007. It's in French but it gives you a good idea of what was the most popular social media website in each country/continent.

https://img.labnol.org/images/2008/02/social-networks-popularity.gif

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/18/18 at 4:11 pm

^^^ Right. I was going to mention that you two are from Canada. The U.S. always seems to catch on to the latest technological advances years after than Canada. I had no idea what Facebook was in 2007 and 2008. No did I know what Twitter was then.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/18/18 at 4:52 pm

I do seem to remember that a lot of people rejected and hated the 'Timeline' layout that came about at the very end of 2011 same with the new chat at the time. (It now goes up the side of the screen instead of being a tab that pops up from the bottom ever since) I remember people signing petitions saying bring back the old chat and old Facebook layout! I think some people at the time thought that Facebook was being ruined even as early as 2011!

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 5:26 pm

Yeah no doubt that different countries do catch on to different things at different times. But you can't deny American YouTubers such as iJustine had Twitter in 2009 and American celebrities sang songs about in in '09 as well. And Micahel Jackson's death blew up on Twitter in summer of 2009 as well. I posted those videos countless times in other threads (iJustine making a video about Twitter in '09 and asking her fans to follow her there and the Twitter Songs that was released in 2009)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/18 at 5:26 pm

In the early days, people were mostly sharing pics and notes and doing those little quizzes. Around the 2012 election, and also around the time smartphones and iPads took off, EVERYONE was on it and it got political and old people kept sharing their nonsense right wing memes, that's when it went downhill.

The entire appeal of Facebook was that there weren't many teens on it. At first, you needed a .edu email to get on it. That locked out every teenager right from the get-go. By the time it registrations opened up around 2006/2007 is when you started seeing some teens on it, but for the most part, it was people in their 20s and 30s on it, and that's the image Facebook advertised: MySpace for mature people.  It hit critical mass in the late 2000s, but the older generation that isn't good with computers (like 50+) didn't get on Facebook until 2011/2012 or so when the iPad got popular (and we know how much senior citizens love their iPads :P) that's when virtually everyone was on it. With apps to compete with like Instagram and Snapchat, Facebook started to lose its allure to teens around 2012/2013.

2007-2009: I and my friends are on it.

It needs to be mentioned that there's a country difference here. MySpace was never as big in Canada as it was in the US, so Facebook got popular here in 2007 while it didn't reach that position in the US until 2009. I remember arguing about this in forums in the late 2000s, and people would say MySpace was an American thing and everywhere else people used MSN or Facebook (kind of like how today Americans use SMS/iMessage when the rest of the world is on WhatsApp).

I found this map from August 2007. It's in French but it gives you a good idea of what was the most popular social media website in each country/continent.

https://img.labnol.org/images/2008/02/social-networks-popularity.gif
That's true though. I knew a few teachers who had it at that time, but most I knew that had one were young folks.

Oh. I remember those. I saw tons of people making notes and doing those quizzes. Oh, and don't forget Farmville. That was one of the biggest games people play on there too.

I agree too. Both sites were definitely popular concurrently for them at that time with Myspace being dead by the 2010-11 year.

I'm glad that was specified. It could have saved us from those heated arguments in the first place. Yes, it's correct that MySpace was here first and then Facebook became well-known after that a few years later. And I also concur with the timeline. Honestly, it sounds like that Facebook was originally for Gen X rather than Millennials (except the .edu email) considering they were the ones who were past college age as that site expanded.

This. I created a Facebook around 2011 when I was going on 18. I was extremely reluctant to sign up because it seemed to target older people. That is exactly what I said when my classmates began using the site. At the time, I still preferred Myspace because FB didn't have any of the flares MySpace had. In short, I was "forced" to migrate to FB because MySpace was dead.

^^^ Right. I was going to mention that you two are from Canada. The U.S. always seems to catch on to the latest technological advances years after than Canada. I had no idea what Facebook was in 2007 and 2008. Nor did I know what Twitter was then.
I felt the same way. In 2009, I asked a few of my friends they had a myspace so I could add them and they told me it would be better to make an FB and add them on there. I ended signing up later on in 2010. However, I knew about that site early on in 2007 due to a girl in one of my classes telling me about it when I asked her if had a MySpace.

I do seem to remember that a lot of people rejected and hated the 'Timeline' layout that came about at the very end of 2011 same with the new chat at the time. (It now goes up the side of the screen instead of being a tab that pops up from the bottom ever since) I remember people signing petitions saying bring back the old chat and old Facebook layout! I think some people at the time thought that Facebook was being ruined even as early as 2011!
This! I recall that too! Luckily though, people weren't forced to have the timeline format until sometime in 2013. Before that, it was optional. I will say that the old Facebook layout was not only much better but also simple. These days, it seems like the timeline format, FB is much slower than it should be.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 5:31 pm

This! I recall that too! Luckily though, people weren't forced to have the timeline format until sometime in 2013. Before that, it was optional. I will say that the old Facebook layout was not only much better but also simple. These days, it seems like the timeline format, FB is much slower than it should be.

Again, people started rejecting Facebook as early as 2011 and the timeline thing was just another example of that. As I stated from my other comment from before that you read. 2013 was not the year all the sudden people started jumping ship. It happened gradually starting around 2011. You can use 2013 as a general ballpark however. But it started earlier around 2011.

Just like how YouTube started getting worse in 2010 when they changed their layout. I remember everyone was annoyed by that. The quality of the content also started getting worse around 2010. 2007 - 2009 was YouTube's golden years. It just got bad around 2010.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/18 at 5:40 pm

Again, people started rejecting Facebook as early as 2011 and the timeline thing was just another example of that. As I stated from my other comment from before that you read. 2013 was not the year all the sudden people started jumping ship. It happened gradually starting around 2011. You can use 2013 as a general ballpark, however. But it started earlier around 2011.

Just like how YouTube started getting worse in 2010 when they changed their layout. I remember everyone was annoyed by that. The quality of the content also started getting worse around 2010. 2007 - 2009 was YouTube's golden years. It just got bad around 2010.
The timeline began at the very end of 2011, but it was still optional before it would become the official format later on. I remember people still hanging on to the old layout.

In what ways did YouTube change their layout and begin having terrible quality in 2010? I used that site all the time then and I saw very little complaints about it.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/18/18 at 5:43 pm

I agree!

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 5:46 pm

In what ways did YouTube change their layout and begin having terrible quality in 2010? I used that site all the time then and I saw very little complaints about it.

You don't think YouTube went bad in 2010 as well? Everyone complained about the layout change. No more star system and just likes and dislikes and the layout was much worse from 2010 onwards. It was no longer calssic YouTube. There were MANY complaints. It also was no longer "Broadcast Yourself" in 2010 and 2011. YouTube removed that slogan. YouTube became more of a money-making machine with bad quality YouTubers at around 2010. The site really sucked in the early 2010s. It was best in the late 2000s.

YouTube in 2009:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RFD66VZFteA/maxresdefault.jpg
http://dailyexhaust.com/images/youtube_feather_layout.jpg

YouTube in 2011:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bP5CABclkSo/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/heUvDu545Ok/maxresdefault.jpg
YouTube in 2009 was still classic and A LOT better than in 2011 (and 2010). 2011 YouTube looks downright modern. It was bland. The layout was much worse and the complaints were common.

So I have no idea what you are talking about now. You're claiming YouTube was still good in the early 2010s as well and there were no issues? Lol

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/18 at 6:19 pm

Don't you think YouTube went bad in 2010 as well? Everyone complained about the layout change. No more star system and just likes and dislikes and the layout was much worse from 2010 onwards. It was no longer classic YouTube. There were MANY complaints. It also was no longer "Broadcast Yourself" in 2010 and 2011. YouTube removed that slogan. YouTube became more of a money-making machine with bad quality YouTubers at around 2010. The site really sucked in the early 2010s. It was best in the late 2000s.

YouTube in 2009:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RFD66VZFteA/maxresdefault.jpg
http://dailyexhaust.com/images/youtube_feather_layout.jpg

YouTube in 2011:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bP5CABclkSo/maxresdefault.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/heUvDu545Ok/maxresdefault.jpg
YouTube in 2009 was still classic and A LOT better than in 2011 (and 2010). 2011 YouTube looks downright modern. It was bland. The layout was much worse and the complaints were common.

So I have no idea what you are talking about now. Are you claiming YouTube was still good in the early 2010s as well and there were no issues? Lol
No. Not at all. Youtube didn't become corporate especially with all the ads until sometime in 2013-14. Just because the slogan disappeared doesn't mean people didn't broadcast themselves. They still did. As for the rating system, I like both, so I didn't have an issue with the change. As for the layout, I don't really see a difference in the photos. It was basically still the same. The content that was there in the late 00s was still there in the early 10s. I don't see what's the big deal.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 6:23 pm

No. Not at all. Youtube didn't become corporate especially with all the ads until sometime in 2013-14.

LOL so wrong yet again. Look it up. Advertisments started long before that and the YouTube partner program was a thing in the late 2000s. It seems like you always resort to 2013 - 2014 for some reason when these changes began way before that. Yes, YouTube went downhill and wasn't the same around 2010. Yes, the layout looks clearly different in the 2011 picture and more modern with a different colour scheme and rating system and it is not part of the same classic layout. Yes, Google bought YouTube all the way back in 2006 so it has already become corporate and the quality went down in 2010. This is all fact so deal with it. Everything you wrote is is so wrong it's actually funny. YouTube was not about broadcasting yourself in 2011. That was back when YouTube first started in 2005 and 2006. And if you don't see any difference between the two pictures you are obviously blind. That's like me saying there is no difference between today's layout and the 2005 layout.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/18/18 at 6:30 pm

LOL so wrong yet again. It seems like you always resort to 2013 - 2014 for some reason when these changes began way before that. Yes, YouTube went downhill and wasn't the same around 2010. Yes, the layout looks clearly different in the 2011 picture and more modern with a different colour scheme and rating system and it is not part of the same classic layout. Yes, Google bought YouTube all the way back in 2006 so it has already become corporate and the quality went down in 2010. This is all fact so deal with it. Everything you wrote is is so wrong it's actually funny. YouTube was not about broadcasting yourself in 2011. That was back when YouTube first started in 2005 and 2006.

Whether or not YouTube went downhill is actually based on your opinion, it's not a fact.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 6:31 pm

Whether or not YouTube went downhill is actually based on your opinion, it's not a fact.

I know but the fact is that the layout did change and he said he doesn't notice any difference. It's also a fact that advertisments and the YouTube partner program started in the late 2000s/early 2010s, but he denies that too saying it didn't start until 2014 Lol.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 6:35 pm

YouTube went totally downhill when it started to copyright strike and demonetize random people between 2016 and now.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 6:40 pm

YouTube went totally downhill when it started to copyright strike and demonetize random people between 2016 and now.

There were certainly different periods of when it got worse and worse. 2016/2017 is another point when YouTube got even worse. But ever since Google took over in late 2006, it slowly gradually declined. It had so much more potential if the original creators wouldn't have sold it off.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 6:42 pm

Just looked it up. The YouTube partner program (advertisments) actually started in December of 2007. UGD you're way off it wasn't in 2014 lol.

https://sites.google.com/a/pressatgoogle.com/youtube5year/home/history-of-monetization-at-youtube

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 6:57 pm

People complain about site redesigns all the time, but they still use the website. It doesn't mean the site is dying. That goes for both Facebook Timeline and the various YouTube redesigns, and that recent Snapchat snafu.

Basically these are the kind of people who raise hell over minor site changes.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--uJYUJ7W2--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Written By: Lyndialy on 03/18/18 at 7:14 pm

I don't go on Facebook as nor my friends do. It's generally my family, like parents and grandparents, who go on it. With that said, my older cousin used it when he was a teenager back when Facebook was the hottest thing with teens. Now, it's Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/18/18 at 7:16 pm

I don't go on Facebook as nor my friends do. It's generally my family, like parents and grandparents, who go on it. With that said, my older cousin used it when he was a teenager back when Facebook was the hottest thing with teens. Now, it's Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

How old is your cousin and when did he start using it if you know?

Written By: Lyndialy on 03/18/18 at 7:19 pm

How old is your cousin and when did he start using it if you know?

20 years old. I can't pinpoint exactly when he used it, he must've been in his early teens.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/18/18 at 7:22 pm

20 years old. I can't pinpoint exactly when he used it, he must've been in his early teens.

So I'm assuming he was born in either 1997 or 1998, so most likely sometime in the early 2010's. From what I can remember, Facebook was popular among teens for the entirety of the early 2010's (January 1st, 2010 - April 30th, 2013) It wasn't until late 2013 was when I noticed teenagers moving onto Instagram and Snapchat. Twitter seems to be one of the few social media sites that has an equal amount of adults and teens and has been popular throughout this whole decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 7:23 pm

People complain about site redesigns all the time, but they still use the website. It doesn't mean the site is dying. That goes for both Facebook Timeline and the various YouTube redesigns, and that recent Snapchat snafu.

Basically these are the kind of people who raise hell over minor site changes.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--uJYUJ7W2--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

I didn't mind it too much although I did feel annoyed and already missed the old YouTube and wanted it to go back to how it was before 2010. I remember videos being made in 2012 on how to hack the new layout and somehow bring the old layout back but they turned out be fake. No doubt YouTube's best years were from 2007 - 2009 and even 2005 and 2006 it was great though there was not a lot of content out.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 7:27 pm

I didn't mind it too much although I did feel annoyed and already missed the old YouTube and wanted it to go back to how it was before 2010. I remember videos being made in 2012 on how to hack the new layout and somehow bring the old layout back but they turned out be fake. No doubt YouTube's best year were from 2007 - 2009 and even 2005 and 2006 it was great though not a lot of content was out.

I can see what you mean. They had more funny short original videos back then and more home videos, nowadays most the popular videos are 20+ minutes and professionally produced. But TBH I was never too vested in it and I still use YouTube for much the same thing. There was some good things about early 2010s YouTube like Heyeahyeah (He Man), Nyancat, Duck Sing, Luv u 5ever and Harlem Shake. ;D

Written By: Lyndialy on 03/18/18 at 7:28 pm

So I'm assuming he was born in either 1997 or 1998, so most likely sometime in the early 2010's. From what I can remember, Facebook was popular among teens for the entirety of the early 2010's (January 1st, 2010 - April 30th, 2013) It wasn't until late 2013 was when I noticed teenagers moving onto Instagram and Snapchat. Twitter seems to be one of the few social media sites that has an equal amount of adults and teens and has been popular throughout this whole decade.

**Late 1997 since his birthday hasn't passed yet. Anyway, I didn't use social media until about 2014 or so and by then teens using Facebook were in the minority.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 7:34 pm

**Late 1997 since his birthday hasn't passed yet. Anyway, I didn't use social media until about 2014 or so and by then teens using Facebook were in the minority.

I have a brother he was born in January of 1997.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 7:53 pm

The only Social Media I used was Google+ in 2014 and then I started to use Instagram in early 2016 and used Twitter in Mid 2015.
Snapchat is probably something I will never wanna use.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/18/18 at 7:53 pm

The only Social Media I used was Google+ in 2014 and then I started to use Instagram in early 2016 and used Twitter in Mid 2015.

So you never used Facebook? Wow.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/18/18 at 7:54 pm

Well, he certainly isn't missing anything by not using it lol.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 7:55 pm

I didn't use Facebook until 2017 and I only signed up on there for prizes from app games you know how you have to follow app games Facebook pages in order to win awards?

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 7:56 pm

Well, he certainly isn't missing anything by not using it lol.

I don't even use it but I have an account lol.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 7:57 pm

But Google+ was pretty much the only thing I actively used 24/7 more than any other social media sites.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/18/18 at 7:57 pm

I didn't use Facebook until 2017 and I only signed up on there for prizes from app games you know how you have to follow app games Facebook pages in order to win awards?

I signed up in March 2012. My dad kicked me off of Facebook a few months later for cussing on Facebook at age 10. Though I did end up making another one a year or two later.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 7:58 pm

I signed up in March 2012. My dad kicked me off of Facebook a few months later for cussing at age 10. Though I did end up making another one a year or two later.

Yeah I never got punished by my mom for cussing on a site but she know that I shouldn't be doing it.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 8:02 pm

Before I started using social media I used a site called kidzworld.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 8:30 pm

First social media account I got was Habbo Hotel in 2002 (unless you count MSN in 1999 as social media).

My cousin sold his Habbo account for $700 recently wtfff. Times like this I wish I didn't give my password to my friend who got me banned by having cybersex using my account.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/18/18 at 9:23 pm

First social media account I got was Habbo Hotel in 2002 (unless you count MSN in 1999 as social media).

My cousin sold his Habbo account for $700 recently wtfff. Times like this I wish I didn't give my password to my friend who got me banned by having cybersex using my account.

Oh yeah I used Habbo Hotel too. I forgot about that. Good times. My favourite was that Much Music Headquarters room and those pool rooms.  8) I started using that in 2005 if I remember correctly. I think you had to be 13 to use it? But I lied about my age. My brother sometimes went on my account and trolled and I got so mad. I also used Coke Music at this same time. I remained on Coke Music all the way up until around 2008 when they shifted the the 3D look and improved the graphics to make it look more modern.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 10:18 pm

Oh yeah I used Habbo Hotel too. I forgot about that. Good times. My favourite was that Much Music Headquarters room and those pool rooms.  8) I started using that in 2005 if I remember correctly. I think you had to be 13 to use it? But I lied about my age. My brother sometimes went on my account and trolled and I got so mad. I also used Coke Music at this same time. I remained on Coke Music all the way up until around 2008 when they shifted the the 3D look and improved the graphics to make it look more modern.

If you were under 13 you had to use your parents email when signing up, which I actually did lmao.😇 I made alt accounts lying about my age though.

The Much Music room was fun. In the public rooms, I like hanging out at the pool and at the game room where you played Battleships. But mostly I was in the private rooms playing falling furni and Kick Wars ;D

I played from 2003-2006 mainly. In 2006 I moved onto iSketch, which isn't social media exactly but it was a game with a chat room and I added people from there on MSN.

Written By: ofkx on 03/19/18 at 12:07 am

Facebook is currently under fire. Lots of people are threatening to leave. If someone wants to make a facebook-like platfrom and be successful, now’s the time.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/18 at 5:39 am

YouTube just wanted a new change and I understand many people had hated the new improved layout but as years rolled on, I started to like the new system.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/19/18 at 12:10 pm

Facebook is currently under fire. Lots of people are threatening to leave. If someone wants to make a facebook-like platfrom and be successful, now’s the time.

I think Facebook has been past its peak for a quite a while now.  It's mostly a platform for sharing (usually fake) political articles these days.  The platform inherently is geared towards college students/young adults and its original target audience is aging out of that demographic.  Meanwhile the younger generation currently in high school and college are using other platforms.

Facebook is doomed and it will be as dead in the 2020s as MySpace is this decade.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/19/18 at 12:51 pm

I think Facebook has been past its peak for a quite a while now.  It's mostly a platform for sharing (usually fake) political articles these days.  The platform inherently is geared towards college students/young adults and its original target audience is aging out of that demographic.  Meanwhile the younger generation currently in high school and college are using other platforms.

Facebook is doomed and it will be as dead in the 2020s as MySpace is this decade.

As I mentioned I deactivated my FB account, but sone apps on my phone that I signed up with FB reactives my account automatically. Anyhow, I rarely log in to Facebook and I don't post anything anymore, not even pictures. I like how Instagram limits you to 10 at a time so I can choose up to the 10 best pics, while on Facebook I ended up sharing the entire album (30 at a time). That's actually why a lot of people unfriended me because they got tired of my redundant and imperfect pics.

For me, 2018 for Facebook is like 2010 for MySpace. I remember making my last MySpace post in February 2010 and never logged in after that.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/19/18 at 1:03 pm

For me, 2018 for Facebook is like 2010 for MySpace. I remember making my last MySpace post in February 2010 and never logged in after that.

I am really starting to agree with this.  I do think the one thing Facebook has going for it that MySpace didn't is the fact that many small businesses rely on Facebook for their web presence and marketing.

Written By: ofkx on 03/19/18 at 1:35 pm

I am really starting to agree with this.  I do think the one thing Facebook has going for it that MySpace didn't is the fact that many small businesses rely on Facebook for their web presence and marketing.

Exactly. I read about a guy a couple of days ago who said that he really hates Facebook and wants to leave it but it's the only way people find and book him (he's a musician).

Written By: meesa on 03/19/18 at 2:04 pm

It isn't just the younger generation hating it. I absolutely loathe it. I run an adblocker and when I go to it, it draaaaaaaaggggs. Not to mention I hate the layout and get really tired of the 'look at my selfie/food/pet/house/yard' all of the time. No real content. I keep it for the messenger, as that is the only way some can contact me.

Unfortunately social media is so visual based, actual conversations are just not something it lends itself to-just pics gifs and memes it seems. Probably why I like reddit so much, because you can have actual conversations and not just pictures- well, most of the time HAHA.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/19/18 at 2:13 pm

It isn't just the younger generation hating it. I absolutely loathe it. I run an adblocker and when I go to it, it draaaaaaaaggggs. Not to mention I hate the layout and get really tired of the 'look at my selfie/food/pet/house/yard' all of the time. No real content. I keep it for the messenger, as that is the only way some can contact me.

Unfortunately social media is so visual based, actual conversations are just not something it lends itself to-just pics gifs and memes it seems. Probably why I like reddit so much, because you can have actual conversations and not just pictures- well, most of the time HAHA.

True. I myself don't use Facebook a lot as it's not my favorite social media site, but there used to be a lot more teens on it back in the very late 2000's / early 2010's. Nowadays, it seems like the majority of Facebook users are adults. That was hardly the case back in say 2010.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/19/18 at 2:22 pm

Unfortunately social media is so visual based, actual conversations are just not something it lends itself to-just pics gifs and memes it seems
. Probably why I like reddit so much, because you can have actual conversations and not just pictures- well, most of the time HAHA.

Same here. This is why I prefer forums over other forms of social media. I'm glad this one is still relatively active.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/18 at 4:30 pm

Facebook is past its prime but literally every single one of my classmates I've had use Facebook. Even the younger 18 year olds. I don't know if Facebook will go down like MySpace because they are a huge company and own Oculus and are doing many new things in the VR realm and they are bigger than MySpace ever was. They will still be around I think even if the website goes down.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/19/18 at 5:20 pm

I know, but the fact is that the layout did change and he said he doesn't notice any difference. It's also a fact that advertisements and the YouTube partner program started in the late 2000s/early 2010s, but he denies that too saying it didn't start until 2014 Lol.

I Just looked it up. The YouTube partner program (advertisements) started in December of 2007. UGD you're way off it wasn't in 2014 lol.

https://sites.google.com/a/pressatgoogle.com/youtube5year/home/history-of-monetization-at-youtube
I told you. The star system changed to the like/dislike format, and the Broadcast yourself slogan was gone, but that doesn't mean the change was significant. Besides, it's good that sites go through upgrades anyway especially if they need to keep up with the times.

But still, how often did you see ads in that whole period? I didn't begin seeing any until late 2013 or '14.

I think Facebook has been past its peak for a quite a while now.  It's mostly a platform for sharing (usually fake) political articles these days.  The platform inherently is geared towards college students/young adults, and its original target audience is aging out of that demographic.  Meanwhile, the younger generation currently in high school and college are using other platforms.

Facebook is doomed, and it will be as dead in the 2020s as MySpace is this decade.
Yeah, I say it went past its peak when the political platform began showing up on there. Before that, it was mainly networking and casual conversations.

As for the original audience, I think they already aged out of that demographic for several years now. College students started using other social media aside from Facebook in 2012 and so on.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/19/18 at 5:25 pm

As for the original audience, I think they already aged out of that demographic for several years now. College students started using other social media aside from Facebook in 2012 and so on.

It wasn't just for college students, but young adults and young professionals as well.  Basically people with active social lives.  People who were posting party or vacation photos in 2010 are now posting wedding and baby photos.

Written By: kr37 on 03/19/18 at 6:02 pm

Facebook is past its prime but literally every single one of my classmates I've had use Facebook. Even the younger 18 year olds. I don't know if Facebook will go down like MySpace because they are a huge company and own Oculus and are doing many new things in the VR realm and they are bigger than MySpace ever was. They will still be around I think even if the website goes down.

I definitely think it's true that Facebook is still widely used among college students. It seems to be the first social network people think of to connect with new friends and I see people browsing through it many times a day. Maybe most don't post very much, but they use it to follow friends, news, and various favorite sites.
Maybe when the current high schoolers are in college in a few years they won't use Facebook as much?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/19/18 at 6:23 pm

It wasn't just for college students, but young adults and young professionals as well.  People with active social lives.  People who were posting party or vacation photos in 2010 are now posting wedding and baby photos.
That too, and it's funny you mention that since folks my age range is now in between the partying and wedding bracket compared to a few years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/18 at 9:40 pm

I definitely think it's true that Facebook is still widely used among college students. It seems to be the first social network people think of to connect with new friends and I see people browsing through it many times a day. Maybe most don't post very much, but they use it to follow friends, news, and various favorite sites.
Maybe when the current high schoolers are in college in a few years they won't use Facebook as much?

Yeah definitely. It's always the first social media that is asked among your peers at least at my university in Canada. Many don't post but still have their account open. It's useful for group chats, group pages, and inviting people to events.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/19/18 at 10:34 pm

But still, how often did you see ads in that whole period? I didn't begin seeing any until late 2013 or '14.
Yeah, I say it went past its peak when the political platform began showing up on there. Before that, it was mainly networking and casual conversations.

I absolutely did. That's the reason I got ad block in 2012.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/18 at 8:08 am

Ads have been everywhere long before 2014 on YouTube. If they weren't there, then how the heck could popular creators get paid? If you didn't see any ads before 2014 you probably had ad block on. The "adpocalypse" was a 2017 thing and that was the opposite problem where creators got demonetized. 2012 is not some 1990s year where ads didn't exist on the internet yet and internet video was really primitive lol. It's modern as heck. 2012 feels like yesterday but to some people on this board it feels like two decades ago.

Here's an article from 2011 that prove video ads were around in 2011.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2011/06/12/only-30-of-youtube-users-skip-pre-roll-ads/%3famp=1

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/18 at 8:15 am

So given the above article, and the fact the YouTube partner program started in 2007 and creators put ads on their videos to get paid, and YouTube rolled out ads that can be skipped in 2010, care to retract this statement that you didn't see "any" before 2013? That's a flat out lie and you know it. Unless you had ad block on your computer. Absolutely ridiculous statement. Ads have on vidoes have been a common thing since 2009. And saying you haven't seen any before late 2013 is just plain untrue.

Written By: 2001 on 03/20/18 at 2:52 pm

I think what UGD is talking about is how the ads show up in every video now, and multiple times. Before that, if I'm not mistaken, YouTube channels had to partner with advertisers themselves to get ads/money from their channel, but not every channel had an ad partner/sponsor. A few years ago, YouTube made it so that every channel could get money if they decided to play ads during their videos, and this increased the number of advertisements on YouTube immensely.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/18 at 3:09 pm

I think what UGD is talking about is how the ads show up in every video now, and multiple times. Before that, if I'm not mistaken, YouTube channels had to partner with advertisers themselves to get ads/money from their channel, but not every channel had an ad partner/sponsor. A few years ago, YouTube made it so that every channel could get money if they decided to play ads during their videos, and this increased the number of advertisements on YouTube immensely.

I would understand that, but he said he hasn't seen any ads on YouTube at all before late 2013, and that just doesn't make sense.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/18 at 3:13 pm

Ads have been everywhere long before 2014 on YouTube. If they weren't there, then how the heck could popular creators get paid? If you didn't see any ads before 2014 you probably had ad block on. The "adpocalypse" was a 2017 thing and that was the opposite problem where creators got demonetized. 2012 is not some 1990s year where ads didn't exist on the internet yet and internet video was really primitive lol. It's modern as heck. 2012 feels like yesterday but to some people on this board it feels like two decades ago.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2011/06/12/only-30-of-youtube-users-skip-pre-roll-ads/%3famp=1

When did they start putting 30 second ads before videos on YouTube?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/18 at 3:16 pm

When did they start putting 30 second ads before videos on YouTube?

Ads before videos on YouTube started in January of 2009.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/20/18 at 3:18 pm

I went on YouTube in summer of 2009 but I don't remember if there were ads before videos or not (I'm not saying there wasn't) but that is an interesting fact. I remember the star rating system. I miss that lol.

Written By: Howard on 03/20/18 at 3:24 pm

and sometimes you were forced to watch them.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/20/18 at 3:25 pm

and sometimes you were forced to watch them.

I hate when there's a 30-second ad that you can't skip.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/20/18 at 3:30 pm

I went on YouTube in summer of 2009 but I don't remember if there were ads before videos or not (I'm not saying there wasn't) but that is an interesting fact. I remember the star rating system. I miss that lol.

I read it from here
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/242836/

Written By: Howard on 03/21/18 at 1:52 pm

I hate when there's a 30-second ad that you can't skip.

I know the feeling. ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/21/18 at 7:36 pm

I absolutely did. That's the reason I got ad block in 2012.

Ads have been everywhere long before 2014 on YouTube. If they weren't there, then how the heck could popular creators get paid? If you didn't see any ads before 2014, you probably had ad block at the time. The "adpocalypse" was a 2017 thing, and that was the opposite problem where creators got demonetized. 2012 is not some 1990s year where ads didn't exist on the internet yet, and internet video was primitive lol. It's modern as heck. 2012 feels like yesterday, but to some people on this board, it feels like two decades ago.

So given the above article, and the fact the YouTube partner program started in 2007 and creators put ads on their videos to get paid. YouTube rolled out ads that had the skip button in 2010, care to retract this statement that you didn't see "any" before 2013? That's a flat-out lie, and you know it. Unless you had ad block on your computer. Ridiculous statement. Ads have on videos have been an common thing since 2009. And saying you haven't seen any before late 2013 is just plain untrue.

I would understand that, but he said he hadn't seen any ads on YouTube at all before late 2013, and that just doesn't make sense.
I'm serious. I'm genuinely telling you that I didn't see any ads before 2014 and I watched Youtube all the time throughout the late 00s and early 10s.

Agreed! Your post is what I'm talking about regarding Youtube. I watched a ton of YouTubers including those that were well known, and I don't remember seeing any ads compared to the last few years. Now, every channel including the lesser known ones has ads everywhere. It's a disaster.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/21/18 at 8:14 pm

That's definitely true. It's crazy how things have changed.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/21/18 at 8:42 pm

Agreed! Your post is what I'm talking about regarding Youtube. I watched a ton of YouTubers including those that were well known, and I don't remember seeing any ads compared to the last few years. Now, every channel including the lesser known ones has ads everywhere. It's a disaster.

You don't remember them, however they were still there.  ;) What don't you understand that it is fact? Are you even reading the articles I posted?  ::) As I showed you in the link, it is a fact that ads before videos started in early 2009 and skipable ads started in late 2010, and that is an irrefutable fact. If you disagree, take it up with YouTube and tell them your memory is better than theirs. I can clearly remember that given that I had ad block in the early '10s to avoid this problem. There were ads on well known channels starting in 2009, so if you don't remember them doesn't make it true and it seems you just had a memory problem because I showed you two links that prove and state the fact that video advertisements started in 2009, it's a fact. So what you said was incorrect. There were countless ads in 2010 and 2011 so your statement of remembering zero ads is ridiculous, wrong and laughable.

Article showing all the seven different ad formats have been launched in January of 2009
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/08/infographic-the-history-of-video-advertising-on-youtube/242836/

Article about YouTube introducing ads you can skip in late 2010
https://techcrunch.com/2010/12/01/youtube-officially-launches-ads-you-can-skip/

Article showing advertising in general (not video ads) started in 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/aug/22/advertising.digitalmedia

So how will you refute this evidence UMG?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/24/18 at 1:26 am

I think UltraGamingDog is talking about Twitter becoming popular on mobile, which is absolutely true that started blowing up in 2011 and 2012. Facebook mobile started popping up a bit earlier than that. But the web version of Twitter was around before that. And many people remember the days when there was too much activity on the site and you couldn't log on. Twitter is part of the classic web social medias that first got popular along with Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, and others. I first got it in 2009. And again, YouTube had advertisements starting all the way back in 2007, and ads before videos all the way back in 2009.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 2:37 pm

I wanna say late 2012/2013.

I joined in March 2012 and it was hip and cool.

Written By: AnakinSkywanker on 04/30/18 at 1:09 am

To me the "classic era" of facebook was late 2011-late 2014. During this period people would upload a new profile pic every few months, usually taken with a "dumb camera" or first generation smartphone (not HD). The pic would often document a funny or interesting moment. The site would have new tags and photos being uploaded every few days and felt like a hub of social life and culture among teens. Around the end of 2014 and start of 2015, people began uploading a single profile pic and leaving it up for many many months or years. The pic would be a "instagram/narcassistic" type pic designed to be extremely flattering. The pic had a "placeholder" feel, and it was clear that no one really cared enough to regularly change it. The whole tagging of people in pics and "social hub" feeling of FB disappeared around this time, with social pics being shared mainly via snapchat. So yeah, late 2014/early 2015 there was a rapid abandonment of the site and it really never recovered into even a shadow of its early 2010's self. The change was extremely dramatic, for instance I was a college freshman in 2014 and the site had the aforementioned "hub" feel. I changed colleges and was a freshman again in 2016 and it was a dead graveyard activity wise.

Written By: ofkx on 04/30/18 at 8:45 am

To me the "classic era" of facebook was late 2011-late 2014. During this period people would upload a new profile pic every few months, usually taken with a "dumb camera" or first generation smartphone (not HD). The pic would often document a funny or interesting moment. The site would have new tags and photos being uploaded every few days and felt like a hub of social life and culture among teens. Around the end of 2014 and start of 2015, people began uploading a single profile pic and leaving it up for many many months or years. The pic would be a "instagram/narcassistic" type pic designed to be extremely flattering. The pic had a "placeholder" feel, and it was clear that no one really cared enough to regularly change it. The whole tagging of people in pics and "social hub" feeling of FB disappeared around this time, with social pics being shared mainly via snapchat. So yeah, late 2014/early 2015 there was a rapid abandonment of the site and it really never recovered into even a shadow of its early 2010's self. The change was extremely dramatic, for instance I was a college freshman in 2014 and the site had the aforementioned "hub" feel. I changed colleges and was a freshman again in 2016 and it was a dead graveyard activity wise.

That's the case for Instagram too, at least in my area. While most people use it, nobody actually posts pictures on it. Last time I posted a picture was in December 2016, and even that was the first picture I posted since November 2015. I think that's what's happening to social media in general. More people are joining social media but less are actually posting anything and instead are just using it to browse news and celebrity accounts.

Written By: Dundee on 04/30/18 at 10:31 am

I can't believe I have my Facebook for 7 years now :o

Written By: Early2002 on 04/30/18 at 10:37 am

I can't believe I have my Facebook for 7 years now :o
I first signed up in 2006

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/30/18 at 2:14 pm

That's the case for Instagram too, at least in my area. While most people use it, nobody actually posts pictures on it. Last time I posted a picture was in December 2016, and even that was the first picture I posted since November 2015. I think that's what's happening to social media in general. More people are joining social media but less are actually posting anything and instead are just using it to browse news and celebrity accounts.

I use my IG account often and post something new weekly or bi-weekly. I enjoy taking pictures and sharing them. I just wish IG had more of a social hub feel to it instead of post, like, and go.

Check for new replies or respond here...