inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 2010s TV good?

Written By: Wobo on 03/11/18 at 11:38 pm

What do you guys think of TV nowadays? Do you still watch TV or no?
I sometimes watch TV like Nick and Sometimes Cartoon Network(I'm 13 so yeah) I sometimes channel surf when I'm bored.

Subject: Re: Is 2010s TV good?

Written By: ofkx on 03/12/18 at 6:04 am

The 2010s is the best decade for TV.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 03/12/18 at 10:50 am

Not really!!!!

Written By: unicornic on 03/12/18 at 10:55 am

It’s been very good in my opinion. The best yet.

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/18 at 6:17 pm

We're in the Golden Age of television.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/12/18 at 8:46 pm

We're in the Golden Age of television.

2000s TV was a lot better than 2010s TV.

Written By: Milk on 03/12/18 at 10:49 pm

A lot of people really don't watch cable tv anymore if you think about. To answer your question no it's not that good imho

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/18 at 11:50 pm

2000s TV was a lot better than 2010s TV.

Nah, TV got way better in the second half of the 2000s and continued to be great in the 2010s. One thing I don't miss is trash reality TV, which flooded the networks in the 2000s and early 2010s. The mid-2010s came and cleansed the filth.

Streaming 'democratized' a lot of television and we get to explore themes that weren't explored before. I'm a huge fan. There's a lot more creative freedom nowadays now that producers don't have to worry about offending advertisers. I can't imagine a show like Game of Thrones airing in primetime in the 2000s with its rape and torture scenes.

And budgets are higher than ever before, the CGI compete with movies these days. :o

Not to mention, just the sheer quantity of TV shows that are produced now is second to none.

Written By: Dundee on 03/13/18 at 3:32 am

TV in this decade is a big improvement over 2000s TV. There's much more original content available with more effort put through, as well as the hype among the public which nowadays rivals that for movies :D.

And do I have to point out how great the democratization of streaming is? No more being forced to watch the dozens or so cheesy sit-coms or family movies the channels usually shove in their evening schedules 8-P

TV is one aspect that this decade is more superior at than several previous decades.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 3:46 am

As with any other period of time, there will be always good and bad, and awful programs.

Written By: Wobo on 03/13/18 at 6:05 am

As with any other period of time, there will be always good and bad, and awful programs.

Just like the weird commercials in the 90s lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 6:11 am

Just like the weird commercials in the 90s lol
Too true!

Written By: Howard on 03/13/18 at 7:27 am

What do you guys think of TV nowadays? Do you still watch TV or no?
I sometimes watch TV like Nick and Sometimes Cartoon Network(I'm 13 so yeah) I sometimes channel surf when I'm bored.

The shows are OK,I really don't watch a lot of the new shows except Big Bang Theory and Modern Family, Shark Tank and some new cooking shows.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 7:40 am

The shows are OK,I really don't watch a lot of the new shows except Big Bang Theory and Modern Family, Shark Tank and some new cooking shows.
As with every television show over the years, it has always been pick and choose.

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/13/18 at 7:41 am

THIS IS US

'nuff said

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 7:42 am

THIS IS US

'nuff said
Us or US?

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/13/18 at 11:29 am

Us ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/18 at 11:48 am

Us ;)
Thank you for confirming it.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/13/18 at 9:53 pm

The 2010s is the best decade for TV.

Far from it, Netflix and streaming have been excellent this decade though. Unless you want to count Netflix or HBO shows as TV which I don't, because you can watch those shows on any platform.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/13/18 at 10:06 pm

I guess it depends on your definition of "TV". If anything, I believe TV has been on a huge decline throughout this decade. Earlier this decade you had great shows like The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Once Upon A Time, and shows that still carried on from the 2000's like Mad Men, Dexter, and much more. You also had Adventure Time, Regular Show, Young Justice, and Avengers: EMH as mentioned before. Then later this decade you had the rise of DC CW shows like Arrow and the Flash then you had Agents of Shield on ABC which led to other Marvel shows on Netflix. Reality shows are still pretty strong with shows like American Ninja Warrior, Shark Thank, Dancing with the Stars, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, The Bachelor, and America's Got Talent. 2010's TV shows have a lot of sci-fi, drama, superhero, and horror series though. Not enough traditional comedy sitcoms like you had from the 2000's and earlier. TV (or cable) has been on a huge decline throughout this decade. Netflix and streaming has taken over and I predict throughout the 2020's TV will transition into full streaming like the 90's when Saturday Morning cartoons transitioned into 24 hour kid stations. If you look at the schedule for most channels now there's only a few shows on the lineup and the most popular shows will be looping for hours and hours. Back in the 90's and 00's when TV was in a golden age the schedules were so diverse and you got excited waiting for the show to come on, and it was always exciting catching a new episode at that specific time. The 90's and most of the 00's were the best for TV IMO. Well, not all channels, but there were a lot of positives that came from 90's and 00's TV. I guess it's better to say that the 2010's have been a golden age for "shows" in general because you can watch those everywhere you want to now any kind of way, but not "TV", because "TV" isn't the same as it used to be outside of live news and sports.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/13/18 at 10:14 pm

Nah, TV got way better in the second half of the 2000s and continued to be great in the 2010s. One thing I don't miss is trash reality TV, which flooded the networks in the 2000s and early 2010s. The mid-2010s came and cleansed the filth.

Reality TV is still big man. It's been consistently big since the late 90's or early 00's, it's just a different set of reality shows you're probably don't pay attention to. American Ninja Warrior, America's Got Talent and Shark Tank are 3 reality shows that immediately come to mind that have been consistently high in ratings throughout the 2010's. Dancing with the Stars and The Kardashians just keep on going as much as people don't want to admit it. Food Network is a station that used to be all about cooking throughout the 2000's (and I'm talking about 2000-2007 for sure), but throughout the 2010's it's been mostly reality food shows and hardly cooking shows anymore.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/13/18 at 10:21 pm

Far from it, Netflix and streaming have been excellent this decade though. Unless you want to count Netflix or HBO shows as TV which I don't because you can watch those shows on any platform.
I honestly have to agree. It seems to me that the only shows doing very well are those on Netflix, Hulu, HBO, AMC, Showtime or those superhero ones. Aside from that, I barely hear about any show from the major channels except for Stranger Things, Blackish, and possibly Riverdale.

Reality TV is still huge today man. It's been consistently big since the late 90's or early 00's, it's just a different set of reality shows you're probably don't pay attention to. American Ninja Warrior, America's Got Talent, and Shark Tank are 3 reality shows that immediately come to mind that have been consistently high in ratings throughout the 2010's. Dancing with the Stars and The Kardashians just keep on going as much as people don't want to admit it. Food Network is a station that used to be all about cooking throughout the 2000's (and I'm talking about 2000-2007 for sure), but throughout the 2010's it's been mostly reality food shows and hardly cooking shows anymore.
Yeah, I find that weird. There are tons of reality shows out there that are popular today besides the Kardashians and the Real Housewives.

Written By: ofkx on 03/14/18 at 12:30 am

Far from it, Netflix and streaming have been excellent this decade though. Unless you want to count Netflix or HBO shows as TV which I don't, because you can watch those shows on any platform.

Well technically speaking this decade has been literally one of the worst decades for TV since so many people are turning away from TV and using streaming services like Netflix. But I think op is talking about shows in general?

Written By: Wobo on 03/14/18 at 10:11 am

Well technically speaking this decade has been literally one of the worst decades for TV since so many people are turning away from TV and using streaming services like Netflix. But I think op is talking about shows in general?

I'm just talking about Television.

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/18 at 2:27 pm

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. are still television. Cable/satellite is just a way of receiving TV signals, and Internet is another way. I watch Netflix on my TV with my Chromecast, and many people have Smart TVs with Netflix as an app. There is really no need for a distinction, and if there is a need for distinction you can say "cable TV" instead of just TV.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/18 at 2:29 pm

I honestly have to agree. It seems to me that the only shows doing very well are those on Netflix, Hulu, HBO, AMC, Showtime or those superhero ones. Aside from that, I barely hear about any show from the major channels except for Stranger Things, Blackish, and possibly Riverdale.
Yeah, I find that weird. There are tons of reality shows out there that are popular today besides the Kardashians and the Real Housewives.

Which ones you referring to? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...