inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Home voice assistants like Amazon Echo, Google Home etc. are The Next Big Thing

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/18 at 9:23 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ilkerkoksal/2018/02/01/voice-first-devices-are-the-next-big-thing-heres-why/

Take a look at the article and tell me what you think?

I think in 2018 we're at with voice assistants where we were at in 2007 with the iPhone. The possibilities for 3rd party apps seem endless and it's very convenient to have around in the house. I think Internet of Things is going to take off big in the next couple of years thanks to these devices.

Subject: Re: Home voice assistants like Amazon Echo, Google Home etc. are The Next Big Thing

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/18 at 9:42 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ilkerkoksal/2018/02/01/voice-first-devices-are-the-next-big-thing-heres-why/

Take a look at the article and tell me what you think?

I think in 2018 we're at with voice assistants where we were at in 2007 with the iPhone. The possibilities for 3rd party apps seem endless and it's very convenient to have around in the house. I think Internet of Things is going to take off big in the next couple of years thanks to these devices.

Err...I'm not so sure.  I have an Echo but I never use it (a friend gave it to me because he never used it).  I also don't use Siri.  To me, this seems like one of those things that works well in a movie set in the future but isn't really all that practical.  I could be wrong though.

Subject: Re: Home voice assistants like Amazon Echo, Google Home etc. are The Next Big Thing

Written By: Dundee on 03/14/18 at 9:56 pm

I agree that I don't really find assistants that useful so far but I guess we're still at a point where that technology is quite rudimentary and maybe with a bit more progress using them will become very convenient. We'll see how it evolves in the 2020s :P

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/14/18 at 10:24 pm

Sorry but it's GITS's cyberbrains or nothin. Everything else is disappointing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/18 at 12:59 am

Like them yes, can be useful, but to here a certain song, you have to subscribe to Spotify.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/15/18 at 1:13 am

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned or paranoid, but to me those things seem like voluntary surveillance devices.  :o :o :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/15/18 at 1:16 am

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned or paranoid, but to me those things seem like voluntary surveillance devices.  :o :o :o
That also occurred to me the other day, I do less talking now.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/15/18 at 1:28 am

That also occurred to me the other day, I do less talking now.

https://i.imgur.com/lpUAxvc.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/15/18 at 7:43 am

I have Cortana for Windows 10.

Written By: ofkx on 03/16/18 at 9:22 am

I’ve never used Siri in a serious way.

Subject: Home voice assistants like Amazon Echo, Google Home etc. are The Next Big Thing

Written By: Dude111 on 03/17/18 at 1:09 am

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned or paranoid, but to me those things seem like voluntary surveillance device.

Yes they are Al!!!

The sheeple have been so conditioned they dont care........

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/18 at 1:53 am

I agree that I don't really find assistants that useful so far but I guess we're still at a point where that technology is quite rudimentary and maybe with a bit more progress using them will become very convenient. We'll see how it evolves in the 2020s :P

Yep, that's how I feel too. Right now it's a great social device (playing music, trivia games etc.), a great device for Internet of Things devices and and also a good device for shopping. As time goes on, there will be more devices and activities that rely on it and it has the potential to take off.

Like them yes, can be useful, but to here a certain song, you have to subscribe to Spotify.

I've got that :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/18 at 2:45 am

I have Cortana for Windows 10.
These are stand alone device, which the use of a computer, other than an app on the phone/tablet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/18 at 2:55 am

I feel the same as you, my device is next to the television set, so all day it will only be hearing movie all day long!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/18 at 7:59 am

I would never consider having one of those listening devices in my house.

As it is, I keep black electrical tape over my PC's webcam and on my iPad cameras.

If somebody wants to place a listening device in my home, they'll have to do it the old fashioned way by breaking in.

Of course then they may have to deal with some consequences.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57122.msg3675243#msg3675243

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/17/18 at 1:48 pm

https://i.imgur.com/lpUAxvc.jpg

Sorry. The future is a dystopia and the world  :D LOVES IT!!! :D

Written By: Howard on 03/17/18 at 2:53 pm

I would never consider having one of those listening devices in my house.

As it is, I keep black electrical tape over my PC's webcam and on my iPad cameras.

If somebody wants to place a listening device in my home, they'll have to do it the old fashioned way by breaking in.

Of course then they may have to deal with some consequences.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57122.msg3675243#msg3675243

So you wouldn't want Siri? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/18 at 7:20 pm

So you wouldn't want Siri? ???

I do not use "Siri" either.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/17/18 at 7:33 pm

I do not use "Siri" either.

I don't use Siri either because it's a bit more inconvenient than just searching it up especially when it mishears what you say.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/18 at 7:23 am

I don't use Siri either because it's a bit more inconvenient than just searching it up especially when it mishears what you say.

I hate when that happens.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 11:40 pm

Okay I'm going to order a Google Home tomorrow. Don't ask me why I took so long but I'm really excited!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/11/18 at 12:56 am

I remember Blackberry had a voice assistance to back in the day where the phone would say "say a command".

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/11/18 at 2:23 am

Okay I'm going to order a Google Home tomorrow. Don't ask me why I took so long but I'm really excited!
The devices are useful for quick information, it can save switching on the computer.

Written By: 2001 on 04/11/18 at 10:31 am

The devices are useful for quick information, it can save switching on the computer.

Yep, I also have a lot of smart devices in my home so it's all connected. I could say "OK Google, play the new episodes of Orange Is The New Black" and it should show up on my TV. I also know how to code so I'm going to make some of my own quick commands.  8)

Written By: Howard on 04/11/18 at 2:33 pm

Hope you use it well, enjoy it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 5:35 pm

Hope you use it well, enjoy it!
Handy as a radio too.

Check for new replies or respond here...