inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Indie folk lose popularity?

Written By: duenas8 on 03/15/18 at 4:41 pm

It wasn’t until a few months ago that I realized that Indie folk was no longer popular. I know that I was very late, but when exactly started to happen?

Subject: Re: When did Indie folk lose popularity?

Written By: bchris02 on 03/15/18 at 4:49 pm

It wasn’t until a few months ago that I realized that Indie folk was no longer popular. I know that I was very late, but when exactly started to happen?

2017 (early in the year).  It was still quite popular in 2016.  Why it died so suddenly, I am unsure of.

Written By: duenas8 on 03/15/18 at 4:59 pm

2017 (early in the year).  It was still quite popular in 2016.  Why it died so suddenly, I am unsure of.

Same

Written By: bchris02 on 03/15/18 at 5:21 pm

I want to add that the death of indie folk was a huge sign that we had passed "peak hipster" in 2017.  In 2018, the entire hipster dream of individualism seems to be going the way of '60s counterculture and is being replaced by a more conservative and conformist culture.  The current culture is starting to remind me more of the early 2000s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/15/18 at 5:23 pm

I want to add that the death of indie folk was a huge sign that we had passed "peak hipster" in 2017.  In 2018, the entire hipster dream of individualism seems to be going the way of '60s counterculture and is being replaced by a more conservative and conformist culture.  The current culture is starting to remind me more of the early 2000s.

I thought that hipster culture peaked in around 2014-2015, not 2017.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/15/18 at 5:27 pm

I thought that hipster culture peaked in around 2014-2015, not 2017.

Not arguing with that.  I said that the decline of indie-folk meant we had passed peak hipster.  I would agree that 2015 or maybe early 2016 was probably peak.  It probably varies a bit by geography.

Written By: John Titor on 03/15/18 at 5:30 pm

Written By: duenas8 on 03/15/18 at 5:43 pm

That’s very interesting. The shift from Millennials culture to Gen Zers, who are also more realistic

pd: this is totally millennial
uJ_1HMAGb4k

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/15/18 at 5:52 pm

Holy crap yes. I just saw an abstinence PSA at a movie theater. It feels like I’m a high schooler during the Bush years again, it’s totally bonkers.

Quick side note about hipster culture btw: Frances Ha. It’s pretty much the penultimate hipster millennial movie, or I think it will eventually be looked back on that way, just like how On the Road is thought to encapsulate the Beat Generation.

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/16/18 at 8:27 am

I would not say we are being replaced with a more conservative culture. However conformist due to social medias pressure I would definitely agree with.

Punk rock is still thriving y'all. Just cause its not being played by Mainstream does not mean it is still fairly popular. And I am honestly glad it is not popular. Weeds out the fudgeing posers.

Indie Folk did not die in 2017 it really died in 2015 when trap came into huge popularity.

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 12:40 pm

Punk rock is still thriving y'all. Just cause its not being played by Mainstream does not mean it is still fairly popular. And I am honestly glad it is not popular. Weeds out the fudgeing posers.
Yup, Punk Rock and especially the Punk DIY mentality will forever live on and continue its influence.

Punk Rock doesn't need the mainstream, its spirit has always been to work against it :p

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 3:52 pm

Another question would be is when was Indie Folk exactly popular?

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/16/18 at 4:55 pm

That’s very interesting. The shift from Millennials culture to Gen Zers, who are also more realistic

pd: this is totally millennial
uJ_1HMAGb4k

We'll see about that when they get experience outside of their parent's houses.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/16/18 at 5:55 pm

Another question would be is when was Indie Folk exactly popular?

Late 2012 through late 2016, in my opinion.

Written By: Dundee on 03/16/18 at 6:35 pm

Oh, and which albums/songs were considered popular because I'm blanking rn.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/17/18 at 6:06 am

Oh, I would say earlier than that. I was already hearing groups like Ed Sharpe on the radio as early as 2010. Even then, arguably, you could say it all started with Bon Iver in 2008.

Written By: ofkx on 03/17/18 at 6:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOC_q0NLTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpMj-tqixs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBumgq5yVrA

I'd say it was popular from 2011 through 2015, peaking in 2013/14.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/17/18 at 1:33 pm

For me personally,  indie folk was at its creative peak when Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear came out in 2009. I think the true, real indie, hipster genre  was at its popular peak during Goyte's Somebody I Used to Know,

Written By: duenas8 on 03/17/18 at 1:46 pm

rGKfrgqWcv0
ghb6eDopW8I
UJWk_KNbDHo

Check for new replies or respond here...