inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Love, Simon

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/17/18 at 5:39 pm

Better late than never. Love, Simon might be the 2010s best teen film a la, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Clueless, and Mean Girls.

Subject: Re: Love, Simon

Written By: TheKid99 on 03/17/18 at 7:09 pm

Posted this on me Reddit. :)

I'm 18 years old. I'm a senior in high school. I have had a struggle with my sexuality since I was 14 years old. Recently after 3 long internal  battles with in myself.... I finally started accepting myself for who I am.  I'm gay.

I've come out to my coworkers and most of my friends. Only my twin brother knows I'm gay.

I have yet to cone out to my other family members due to most of them being insanely homophobic. It has really impacted my self confidence within myself. Mg self esteem as well has been incredibly low. While I know I'm gay. It's so hard to reconcile with myself that I am who I am and my family will never forgive me for it.

I went to prom yesterday. With a girl I recently finally came out to. Things have been a little bit awkward. I kind of inadvertently lead her on. And in the process had to break her heart slightly.... all was mostly forgiven. But there is just this lingering resentment by her towards me.

I found out Love, Simon was playing at a movie theatre. At 12:30 am. The dance ended at 11:30. I rushed to drop off my date. I thought about going in my full white tuxedo. 😂 But I didn't want to cause a scene. So I went home. Made some stupid excuse. And rushed down the highway at 80 mph to make it in time. I got their at exactly 12:30 am. All by myself. Got the ticket. And sat in the far back. Only three other groups were their. And they were all girls. But I kept to myself.

I watched the movie. And from around half way through oneatda. I don't think I went for more than 5 minutes without crying.

His parents reaction. Especially his mom. Got me sobbing. I don't ever cry at movies theatres. I can count on one hand which movies have made me cry.

"For a few years..... I could feel you holding your breath..." Wow......

This was perhaps the most relatable movie I have ever seen. It's so far from the stereotypical. His manner. His thoughts. The writing of this movie was absolutely imppecable. And grand.

I have felt emotionally numb for the past few months. With my family trifles. And troubles. My mom being terribly sick. My dad having a heart attack. My twin brother moving out. I haven't actually cried in about 4 months.

This was an emotional release so unexpected. I felt so great afterwards.

The entire theatre clapped at the end. I did too.

I felt so free. I sang  (badly) in the car all the way home. I got home at around 3:30. And went to sleep.  So freeing was this feeling.

I'm not somebody who is a terrible outcast. I'm a normal person. Living a normal life. With the exception. I'm gay.

I wish I was able to live my last few months at my cwgjolic high school so free. But like Simons plan was. I'm waiting till college.

I wish my parents could have such a reaction. To be terribly positive.

After Prom 2018 y'all

Written By: 2001 on 03/17/18 at 7:19 pm

^ I didn't read the whole thing since it got into spoiler territory, but I'm really intrigued now! I'm gonna have to watch this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/17/18 at 7:25 pm

I watched this movie yesterday at the movie theater with my group of friends. One of the best movies I ever saw. My favorite part was when they kissed (which made my friends laugh when I told them that ;D)

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/17/18 at 7:54 pm

Man, between this and Lady Bird, we're seeing a new awakening in teen movies.

Written By: Milk on 03/17/18 at 9:43 pm

there's only a few theaters playing this in my city  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/17/18 at 9:46 pm

there's only a few theaters playing this in my city  ???

Don't worry about it. Just go see it.

Written By: duenas8 on 03/18/18 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for sharing TheKid99!

Written By: #Infinity on 03/19/18 at 7:18 am

I was strangely interested in seeing this movie since the promotions came out for it. I thought it was a great flick with plenty of charm and loving care for details, which made the character arc relatable and heavy to me. Certain elements of the plot may have been forced, especially around the third act in particular, but I could still definitely see myself watching this repeatedly because it's still a ton of fun.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/19/18 at 2:55 pm

I watched the movie.

I'm really glad you found the courage to go watch this film. A lot of teens are saying they want to see Love, Simon but are afraid they'll be outed or thought of as gay and I find that so disappointing.

I hope those who have seen the movie and liked it spread the love by word of mouth. This movie could use it. It's good enough to be a teen classic. Not just another gay movie.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/19/18 at 3:10 pm

I'm really glad you found the courage to go watch this film. A lot of teens are saying they want to see Love, Simon but are afraid they'll be outed or thought of as gay and I find that so disappointing.

I hope those who have seen the movie and liked it should spread the love by word of mouth. This movie could use it. It's good enough to be a teen classic. Not just another gay movie.

There was a Newsweek article last week saying that this movie is late to the game and that acceptance has come far enough where it's not as relatable as it would have been back in the '00s.  Comments like this show that isn't the case and this is a very much needed movie.

I'm going to go see it within the next few days but will be going by myself.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/19/18 at 3:57 pm

I hope those who have seen the movie and liked it spread the love by word of mouth. This movie could use it. It's good enough to be a teen classic. Not just another gay movie.

It's definitely a great film, but in all honesty, its premise is still very particular to the gay experience, even with its meticulous, non-stereotyped characters. It sort of is "another gay movie," but to be fair, it's also attracting a groundbreaking level of attention for the queer community in this particular subgenre of dramedies. We'd know LGBT teens are fully integrated into society if teen dramas don't have to focus so acutely on how much being gay causes them to struggle with their identity or being fully open about who they are.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/19/18 at 4:05 pm

It's definitely a great film, but in all honesty, its premise is still very particular to the gay experience, even with its meticulous, non-stereotyped characters. It sort of is "another gay movie," but to be fair, it's also attracting a groundbreaking level of attention for the queer community in this particular subgenre of dramedies. We'd know LGBT teens are fully integrated into society if teen dramas don't have to focus so acutely on how much being gay causes them to struggle with their identity or being fully open about who they are.

You're right. It's "another gay movie"...but in the same way Black Panther is "another black movie". I think the point I'm making is that both films explore and fleshes out the gay or black experience in ways that haven't been done before in front of such a large audience.

Written By: #Infinity on 03/19/18 at 4:25 pm

You're right. It's "another gay movie"...but in the same way Black Panther is "another black movie". I think the point I'm making is that both films explore and fleshes out the gay or black experience in ways that haven't been done before in front of such a large audience.

Yep, they're both critical milestones at this point in history as progress continues to veer towards the point where the respective minorities they're representing are treated with as much default dignity as anybody else.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/20/18 at 3:36 pm

It’s very disheartening that coming out and being a gay teen is just as difficult now as it was when I was in high school. I would’ve hoped kids would be more open-minded these days.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/20/18 at 5:55 pm

It’s very disheartening that coming out and being a gay teen is just as difficult now as it was when I was in high school. I would’ve hoped kids would be more open-minded these days.

I think a lot of it depends on geography.

I saw the movie last night and it was kind of depressing because I only wish I would have had it that easy.  Coming out in high school was not an option, period.  I couldn't even come out in college.  When I finally did, my parents chased me away from my childhood home screaming anti-gay slurs and my mom texted me telling me it's as if I had died.  That was before they manipulated me into doing ex-gay conversion therapy.

Love, Simon made me think about how great things could have been had I had been born in another time and another place.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/21/18 at 7:38 am

I’m sorry to hear all that. If you are okay divulging it, what region are you in? I lived for a significant period after high school on the East Coast, and my impression was that things were more okay there.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/21/18 at 10:23 am

I’m sorry to hear all that. If you are okay divulging it, what region are you in? I lived for a significant period after high school on the East Coast, and my impression was that things were more okay there.

I'm in Oklahoma.  I have to be here for two more years because of poor financial decisions I made but in 2020 I am out.  I lived for three years on the east coast and that was the best time of my life.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/21/18 at 2:44 pm

I'm in Oklahoma.  I have to be here for two more years because of poor financial decisions I made but in 2020 I am out.  I lived for three years on the east coast and that was the best time of my life.

Oh yikes. Yeah, that’d do it. Good luck.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/24/18 at 3:30 am

I saw Love, Simon yesterday with my teenage sister. I loved the s**t out of it.

Seriously, this movie got me all up in my feels. I really loved how the audience cheered and applauded during the finale, too.

Oh, and Keiynan Lonsdale (who played Bram in the movie) is my new boo. What a cutie. ♥

Check for new replies or respond here...