inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s Cartoons

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 10:54 pm

What's do you guys think about cartoons nowadays I personally think that they're nice my favorites are The Amazing World Of Gumball,Adventure Time,Regular show,Clarence,Uncle Grandpa,Wabbit,The Looney Tunes Show and more.

Subject: Re: 2010s Cartoons

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 10:56 pm

Also has this decade is ending some popular 10's cartoons are also ending.
Regular show ended last year.
Gravity Falls also ended. (2012-2016)
Uncle Grandpa Ended (2013-2017)
Adventure Time is also ending.
Not so good shows like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners had already ended.

Written By: 2001 on 03/18/18 at 11:01 pm

I don't watch cartoons but from every critic I've heard the 2010s have been a solid decade for animation.

I only watched Rick and Morty and some episodes of Phineas and Ferb. Those are hilarious.

Written By: Wobo on 03/18/18 at 11:05 pm

I don't watch cartoons but from every critic I've heard the 2010s have been a solid decade for animation.

I only watched Rick and Morty and some episodes of Phineas and Ferb. Those are hilarious.

Solid? Why? 2010s has been a great decade for animation along with animated movies.

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/19/18 at 12:40 am

I'm super behind on Adventure Time. I stopped watching after Finn met his father. Nevertheless, it's one of my favorite 2010s cartoons and one of the shows that made me realize that the culture was moving on from the 00s.

The Legend of Korra is great. It gets a weird amount of hate that I find nonsensical and slightly pathetic.

Rick and Morty might be my favorite cartoon of the 2010s although season 3 was kind of lackluster and it has gotten popular enough for the creators to be uncomfortable with its level of popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if season 4 didn't happen but I would like a better season to end the series on.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/19/18 at 5:59 am

I'm super behind on Adventure Time. I stopped watching after Finn met his father. Nevertheless, it's one of my favorite 2010s cartoons and one of the shows that made me realize that the culture was moving on from the 00s.

I have kept up with the show, but it's funny, almost everyone I know who dropped the show or has gotten behind has said that's around the time they left off. I sort of understand it - season six was one of the worst for the show - but it's followed by season seven, which was one of its best.

Written By: Dundee on 03/19/18 at 6:17 am

Fairly great decade for animation overall, especially the earlier part.

Written By: Star Struck on 03/19/18 at 10:13 am

I really like the cartoons nowadays. Although I'm outside the age group for most of these cartoons, I still give them a watch and they were surprisingly good :) I think animation today does a really great job at character and story development and producing fluent and diverse animation. Makes me excited to see what cartoons of the 2020s will be like!

Written By: Frank998 on 03/19/18 at 11:46 am

You didn't add Steven Universe, which is one of my favorite cartoons. My brother loves Teen Titans Go! which is also good too.

Written By: Wobo on 03/19/18 at 2:00 pm

You didn't add Steven Universe, which is one of my favorite cartoons. My brother loves Teen Titans Go! which is also good too.

I only listed my favorites.
And yeah TTG is pretty decent it had some funny moments I think season one was the only good part of TTG.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/19/18 at 2:09 pm

These are the ONLY cartoons that I liked this decade:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Sym-Bionic_Titan_6568.jpg

http://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/main_wide/public/2016/11/young-justice-season-three.jpg?itok=DQeerrjE

https://pm1.narvii.com/6026/d5794be4a10ac14e95174d10b4d538e314057b7a_hq.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/18 at 4:52 pm

Solid? Why? 2010s has been a great decade for animation along with animated movies.

Solid means great/excellent.

Written By: Wobo on 03/20/18 at 5:09 am

Solid means great/excellent.

When you said solid I was thinking decent.  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/20/18 at 11:13 am

When you said solid I was thinking decent.  ???

haha. Is decent, not good enough?  :P

Written By: Wobo on 03/20/18 at 11:15 am

haha. Is decent, not good enough?  :P

No,because there was a lot of good cartoons produced this decade like the cartoons in the 2000s soon 2020s cartoons will be called modern cartoons.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/20/18 at 5:59 pm

Its been a great decade for TV cartoons like you said, especially with things like Gumball, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and Rick and Morty! In fact I think I prefer the cartoons of this decade to the 2000's!

Written By: mqg96 on 03/20/18 at 7:31 pm

This decade for animation can easily compete with the 90's. Huge improvement over the 2000's, and I grew up as a prime kid of the 2000's. The cartoons on TV networks/streaming and movies have been excellent. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Young Justice, Sym-Bionic Titan, Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, BoJack Horseman, The 7D, Sofia the First, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc, The Amazing World of Gumball, Clarence, We Bare Bears, Generator Rex, MAD, The Looney Tunes Show, The Legend of Korra, The Loud House, Tangled: The Series, Ducktales (2017), Mickey Mouse (2013 shorts), etc. Then you have the movies, such as How to Train Your Dragon, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Megamind, The Lego Movie, Zootopia, Minions, The Secret Life of Pets, Hotel Transylvania, etc. This is like the 90's generation of animated shows and movies in a modernized way with modern pop culture. Kids enjoy these. Teens enjoy these. Families enjoy these. Adults enjoy these. I don't care what age you are. There are gonna be shows from every decade that you won't like because you're older, simple as that. The 2000's was a good decade for animation and it beats the 70's and 80's, but the 2000's can't beat the 90's or 2010's, because the 2000's was in that transition from 2-D to 3-D animated movies and at the same time there were a lot of growing pains. Plus, a lot of the good 2000's cartoons were centered around teens in high school or kids in school in general. The best cartoons from the 2000's were mainly early 2000's or millennial. The mid and late 2000's for animation was very inconsistent. The 90's and 2010's were just balanced. The 90's was the peak for classic 2-D cel animation and the last major decade for that, while the 2010's has been the peak for 3-D/CGI and digital animation so far.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/21/18 at 7:35 am

This decade for animation can easily compete with the 90's. Huge improvement over the 2000's, and I grew up as a prime kid of the 2000's. The cartoons on TV networks/streaming and movies have been excellent. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Young Justice, Sym-Bionic Titan, Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, BoJack Horseman, The 7D, Sofia the First, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc, The Amazing World of Gumball, Clarence, We Bare Bears, Generator Rex, MAD, The Looney Tunes Show, The Legend of Korra, The Loud House, Tangled: The Series, Ducktales (2017), Mickey Mouse (2013 shorts), etc. Then you have the movies, such as How to Train Your Dragon, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Megamind, The Lego Movie, Zootopia, Minions, The Secret Life of Pets, Hotel Transylvania, etc. This is like the 90's generation of animated shows and movies in a modernized way with modern pop culture. Kids enjoy these. Teens enjoy these. Families enjoy these. Adults enjoy these. I don't care what age you are. There are gonna be shows from every decade that you won't like because you're older, simple as that. The 2000's was a good decade for animation and it beats the 70's and 80's, but the 2000's can't beat the 90's or 2010's, because the 2000's was in that transition from 2-D to 3-D animated movies and at the same time there were a lot of growing pains. Plus, a lot of the good 2000's cartoons were centered around teens in high school or kids in school in general. The best cartoons from the 2000's were mainly early 2000's or millennial. The mid and late 2000's for animation was very inconsistent. The 90's and 2010's were just balanced. The 90's was the peak for classic 2-D cel animation and the last major decade for that, while the 2010's has been the peak for 3-D/CGI and digital animation so far.

Yeah, when you put it that way, this was an absolute monster of a decade for cartoons. I like Adventure Time the most out of that list, but there’s no denying that this has been the best decade for cartoons in a long-ass time. And I say this as someone who is rabidly nostalgic for the early 00s.

Even Legend of Korra, which is the “worst” out of this whole list, I think people blow out of proportion how bad it was. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 11:07 am

I haven't liked most of the cartoons from this decade.

Most of them have been too hipster for my tastes, or too silly, or too simple/plain when it comes to art style.

2000s cartoons > 1990s cartoons >>>>> 2010s cartoons.

That's just my opinion.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 11:34 am

Most of them have been too hipster for my tastes, or too silly, or too simple/plain when it comes to art style.

That's just my opinion.

2000s cartoons > 2010s Cartoons > 1990s cartoons

Written By: Dundee on 03/21/18 at 11:58 am

90s-2010s were in general a great period for animation and a huge improvement over the empty back holes that were the 70s-80s.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 12:06 pm

90s-2010s were in general a great period for animation and a huge improvement over the empty back holes that were the 70s-80s.

Yeah and that was after the Golden Age of American Animation.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/21/18 at 12:18 pm

That's just my opinion.

I definitely agree with this. For a good while, it seemed like almost every cartoon coming out in this decade had that hipsteresque style. I don't know whether this trend has declined or not, but it seemed to be on the rise from like 2010 till about 2017. The only cartoon from this decade that I've really liked was Regular Show.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 12:27 pm

I definitely agree with this. For a good while, it seemed like almost every cartoon coming out in this decade had that hipsteresque style. I don't know whether this trend has declined or not, but it seemed to be on the rise from like 2010 till about 2017. The only cartoon from this decade that I've really liked was Regular Show.

I agree.

Regular Show was just OK to me though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 12:28 pm

I can definitely agree with this.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/18 at 12:28 pm

I like "Rick and Morty" and "F is for Family". The latter is one that I can relate to, the character of Frank Murphy being a middle aged man with a family.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 12:33 pm

Another problem with 2010s cartoons for me is the lack of variety.

In the '90s & '00s, you had cartoons for EVERYBODY. You had the cartoons that were silly, light-hearted and comedic, then you had the cartoons that were serious, mature/dark, and had action then you had the cartoons that had both action and seriousness but also light-hearted and silly moments.

92% of 2010s cartoons have been either light-hearted, silly, comedic or all 3.

Most of the action cartoons are gone because "it's too dark and complicated for kids", "We can't sell toys from these cartoons", "It's too expensive to animate", etc.

Heck, there's barely any cartoons that have both action and comedy.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 12:36 pm

In the '90s & '00s, you had cartoons for EVERYBODY. You had the cartoons that were silly, light-hearted and comedic, then you had the cartoons that were serious, mature/dark, and had action then you had the cartoons that had both action and seriousness but also light-hearted and silly moments.

Most of the action cartoons are gone because "it's too dark and complicated for kids", "We can't sell toys from these cartoons", "It's too expensive to animate", etc.

Marvel Cartoons that air on DisneyXD
Steven universe for one.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 12:48 pm

Marvel Cartoons that air on DisneyXD
Steven universe for one.

What are you trying to say? ???

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 12:53 pm

What are you trying to say? ???

You were just talking about that there's barely any serious cartoons with comedy.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 12:59 pm

You were just talking about that there's barely any serious cartoons with comedy.

Steven Universe is not a serious cartoon. It's light-hearted.

Also, those Marvel cartoons on Disney XD are still very few in number.

Like I said, 92% of 2010s cartoons have been light-hearted, silly, comedic or all three.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 1:02 pm

Like I said, 92% of 2010s cartoons have been light-hearted, silly, comedic or all three.

K

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/21/18 at 2:48 pm

Adventure Time is lighthearted most of the time but it also has great serious moments. If that’s not enough for you, there’s Legend of Korra, Tron Uprising, new Samurai Jack, Over the Garden Wall, and plenty of others.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 3:09 pm

Adventure Time is lighthearted most of the time but it also has great serious moments. If that’s not enough for you, there’s Legend of Korra, Tron Uprising, new Samurai Jack, Over the Garden Wall, and plenty of others.

Yep  :)

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 3:09 pm

Steven Universe is sometimes serious but mostly lighthearted.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/21/18 at 3:13 pm

That's just my opinion.

Outside of the lack of action cartoons, the rest of your points are so far from the truth and are nothing but a bunch of bias from growing up as a kid of your decade, but that's okay. Being on the internet for a decade now, I've heard the same old stories when kids of the 90's (or those born in the 80's) kept posting the same excuses for why they couldn't stand 00's cartoons. It's a never ending cycle. Plus, we're talking about 2010's cartoons in general. Not the status of CN, Nick, or Disney as separate stations. We had Saturday Morning cartoons from the 60's-90's, 24 hour kid stations from the 90's-present, and now we are transitioning into streaming as we speak. Times change. It doesn't matter what platform you watch those cartoons on. Like Dundee said, all cartoons from the 90's-10's have appealed to a larger audience unlike the 70's and 80's. Adult cartoons even count too, which is why the Simpsons had a huge impact on our pop culture in the 90's, without that, you don't get Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Rick & Morty, Archer, etc. If you're talking about kid cartoons that adults could enjoy at the same time, then the majority of those cartoons were from the 90's and 10's from what I remember, especially the movies. If it wasn't for Pixar (thank God) the 00's decade for animated movies would have been complete trash lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/21/18 at 3:17 pm

90's cartoons > 2010's cartoons > 2000's cartoons >>>> 40's-60's cartoons > 80's cartoons > 70's cartoons

Written By: mqg96 on 03/21/18 at 3:30 pm

and I think we can all agree that the 70's was the worst decade for animation, good grief, if there was anything about the Hanna-Barbera cartoons or the Boomerang shows that were the most forgettable, it came to the 70's cartoons. A lot of those were carbon copy, dollar general Scooby-Doo shows or other HB rip offs, but it gets even worse. The plots were just flat out cheesy as hell or subpar, watered down versions of the 60's cartoons. Disney had a dark age for animated movies throughout the 2000's, but guess when the other dark age was? The 70's, yep you guessed it. The 70's really makes the 2000's decade for animation feel God tier for all the hate it used to get. The Superfriends was THE ONLY positive from that decade, and technically that show was more 80's than 70's because of how the seasons played out (go to Wikipedia and see it's weird AF). The 80's weren't the best with all the toy sale animated shows (this was a flaw too) but at least The Smurfs, Richie Rich, He-Man, She-Ra, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Inspector Gadget, ThunderCats, and The Super Mario Bros cartoon were way better than anything the 70's had ever offered. Plus the 80's was a WAY better decade for Disney overall. Towards the end of the 80's you had DuckTales, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Little Mermaid, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit which set up the 90's. So while the 80's was hit and miss, it still had many good moments for its time.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 3:47 pm

and I think we can all agree that the 70's was the worst decade for animation, good grief, if there was anything about the Hanna-Barbera cartoons or the Boomerang shows that were the most forgettable, it came to the 70's cartoons. A lot of those were carbon copy, dollar general Scooby-Doo shows or other HB rip offs, but it gets even worse. The plots were just flat out cheesy as hell or subpar, watered down versions of the 60's cartoons. Disney had a dark age for animated movies throughout the 2000's, but guess when the other dark age was? The 70's, yep you guessed it. The 70's really makes the 2000's decade for animation feel God tier for all the hate it used to get. The Superfriends was THE ONLY positive from that decade, and technically that show was more 80's than 70's because of how the seasons played out (go to Wikipedia and see it's weird AF). The 80's weren't the best with all the toy sale animated shows (this was a flaw too) but at least The Smurfs, Richie Rich, He-Man, She-Ra, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Inspector Gadget, ThunderCats, and The Super Mario Bros cartoon were way better than anything the 70's had ever offered. Plus the 80's was a WAY better decade for Disney overall. Towards the end of the 80's you had DuckTales, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Little Mermaid, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit which set up the 90's. So while the 80's was hit and miss, it still had many good moments for its time.

70s sucked at animation because we just came out of the theatrical golden age of animation.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 4:54 pm

Samurai Jack Season 5 nor The Legend of Korra don't count because they were revivals or sequels.

Also, Adventure Time was light-hearted show period. It's "serious" moments weren't that serious.

Over the Garden Wall is more about mystery not serious or action oriented.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 4:55 pm

Steven Universe is sometimes serious but mostly lighthearted.

Please. Steven Universe's "serious" moments are just fluff and hardly serious.

Written By: Wobo on 03/21/18 at 4:58 pm

Please. Steven Universe's "serious" moments are just fluff and hardly serious.

Not really.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 5:00 pm

Outside of the lack of action cartoons, the rest of your points are so far from the truth and are nothing but a bunch of bias from growing up as a kid of your decade, but that's okay. Being on the internet for a decade now, I've heard the same old stories when kids of the 90's (or those born in the 80's) kept posting the same excuses for why they couldn't stand 00's cartoons. It's a never ending cycle. Plus, we're talking about 2010's cartoons in general. Not the status of CN, Nick, or Disney as separate stations. We had Saturday Morning cartoons from the 60's-90's, 24 hour kid stations from the 90's-present, and now we are transitioning into streaming as we speak. Times change. It doesn't matter what platform you watch those cartoons on. Like Dundee said, all cartoons from the 90's-10's have appealed to a larger audience unlike the 70's and 80's. Adult cartoons even count too, which is why the Simpsons had a huge impact on our pop culture in the 90's, without that, you don't get Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Rick & Morty, Archer, etc. If you're talking about kid cartoons that adults could enjoy at the same time, then the majority of those cartoons were from the 90's and 10's from what I remember, especially the movies. If it wasn't for Pixar (thank God) the 00's decade for animated movies would have been complete trash lol.

No, adult cartoons don't count and me growing up in the '00s is not why I said what I said.  I've already posted the cartons I've liked from this decade.

Also, we're talking about cartoons NOT animation in general. Pixar has NO relevance in this discussion.

The '90s and '00s had variety when it comes to cartoons. The 2010s lack variety when it comes to cartoons (for the most part).

Written By: mqg96 on 03/21/18 at 9:33 pm

No, adult cartoons don't count and me growing up in the '00s is not why I said what I said.  I've already posted the cartons I've liked from this decade.

Also, we're talking about cartoons NOT animation in general. Pixar has NO relevance in this discussion.

The '90s and '00s had variety when it comes to cartoons. The 2010s lack variety when it comes to cartoons (for the most part).

Wrong.

cartoon definition

1. a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.

2. a motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.

synonyms: animated film, animation; informal toon, caricature, parody, lampoon, satire

Cartoons and animation are the same thing. In fact, you CAN'T have animation WITHOUT a cartoon, because cartoon drawings started with magazines or sheets of paper before animation even existed. Animation is just plural for cartoon without using the (s), while animating or animate is the verb used for cartoon since nobody says cartooning lol. 2-D drawing, 3-D/CGI, and yes even ANIME too are ALL cartoons. That's the definition of it. When people on the internet discuss about cartoons of the decades we're talking about all animated stuff, so movies are always included in not just TV series, that's like saying I only include Nicktoons in the discussion of cartoons and nothing else, or I say that Saturday morning cartoons only count.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/21/18 at 10:17 pm

Wrong.

cartoon definition

1. a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.

2. a motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.

synonyms: animated film, animation; informal toon, caricature, parody, lampoon, satire

Cartoons and animation are the same thing. In fact, you CAN'T have animation WITHOUT a cartoon, because cartoon drawings started with magazines or sheets of paper before animation even existed. Animation is just plural for cartoon without using the (s), while animating or animate is the verb used for cartoon since nobody says cartooning lol. 2-D drawing, 3-D/CGI, and yes even ANIME too are ALL cartoons. That's the definition of it. When people on the internet discuss about cartoons of the decades we're talking about all animated stuff, so movies are always included in not just TV series, that's like saying I only include Nicktoons in the discussion of cartoons and nothing else, or I say that Saturday morning cartoons only count.

LOL...OK. I'm not going to argue over your fallacy. Have a good day dude.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/22/18 at 6:20 am

Also, Adventure Time was light-hearted show period. It's "serious" moments weren't that serious.

If you are asserting this as a fact, you need to watch more Adventure Time, because this is just blatantly untrue.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/22/18 at 9:30 am

If you are asserting this as a fact, you need to watch more Adventure Time, because this is just blatantly untrue.

Adventure Time's "serious" moments were nothing. Also, even if you count Adventure Time, it was still a light-hearted show most of the time.

Written By: Wobo on 03/22/18 at 2:19 pm

The probably only 2000s cartoon I binged watch for a little bit was Robotboy. I recently watched it on YouTube a while ago.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/22/18 at 2:25 pm

Adventure Time's "serious" moments were nothing. Also, even if you count Adventure Time, it was still a light-hearted show most of the time.

If they were “nothing,” how about giving an example rather than just speaking in the abstract?

Written By: prodanny288 on 03/22/18 at 2:37 pm

My little sister watches Adventure time and Steven Universe almost everyday.. The only 2010s cartoon I really watched was Gravity falls back in the early 10s. Other than that, I'm  out of touch with what kids watch these days, haha.

Written By: Wobo on 03/22/18 at 3:11 pm

My little sister watches Adventure time and Steven Universe almost everyday.. The only 2010s cartoon I really watched was Gravity falls back in the early 10s. Other than that, I'm  out of touch with what kids watch these days, haha.

I sometimes watch TV I have it on everyday to keep me company I do watch The Amazing World of Gumball and Teen Titans Go now and then and the Loud House is what I mostly watch on tv also and I also sometimes watch OK KO. And I watched Regular Show and Adventure Time in the early 2010s in 2012 and 2013. They barely show Adventure Time on CN anymore only when special premieres air. I don't watch TV now since my cable is cut off again.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/22/18 at 4:59 pm

If they were “nothing,” how about giving an example rather than just speaking in the abstract?

I didn't watch Adventure Time enough to give specific examples.

Even if Adventure Time serious moments count, it is still an OVERWHELMINGLY LIGHT-HEARTED cartoon.

I don't know what point you're trying to prove.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/22/18 at 7:19 pm

Same here. I sorta just stopped watching CartoonNetwork  on a daily basis around 2014. I've seen a couple episodes of their newest show OK KO and its actually pretty good!

Written By: Shemp97 on 03/22/18 at 8:11 pm

Starting with Adventure Time and increasing around 2012, action and story focused cartoons have gone extinct while LOL random comedy cartoons with noodle proportions have dominated the medium.

With the exception of Gravity Falls and The Loud House, I cannot get into current TV animation nowadays. The material is just too weak to be entertaining. I'm not surprised that channels like cartoon network have seen steadily declining viewership over the past decade.

These guys explain some of my complaints, albeit through comedy.
j38aX4JxINQ

IaR8KO4VFPM
Less comedic, but she makes alot of the same criticisms the previous guy did.

iLbyjaF8Cyc
This video is meant to be comedic, but the uploader implies he is serious the description.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/22/18 at 8:35 pm

Starting with Adventure Time and increasing around 2012, action and story focused cartoons have gone extinct while LOL random comedy cartoons with noodle proportions have dominated the medium.

With the exception of Gravity Falls and The Loud House, I cannot get into current TV animation nowadays. The material is just too weak to be entertaining. I'm not surprised that channels like cartoon network have seen steadily declining viewership over the past decade.

These guys explain some of my complaints, albeit through comedy.
j38aX4JxINQ

iLbyjaF8Cyc
The 2nd video is comedic in presentation, but the uploader implies he is serious the description.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

This is exactly how I feel.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/23/18 at 5:54 am

I didn't watch Adventure Time enough to give specific examples.

Even if Adventure Time serious moments count, it is still an OVERWHELMINGLY LIGHT-HEARTED cartoon.

I don't know what point you're trying to prove.

By way of example:

xKiahumuaAI

After this episode, the show took a really dark turn:

raw8T5KPYCw

That being said, I'm not sure what's so terrible about a cartoon being lighthearted. That's pretty much at the heart of Western animation, and if a lighthearted Western animation can nevertheless tell a compelling story, drama or not, what does it matter?

Written By: Dundee on 03/23/18 at 6:01 am

What's up with lighthearted being a contra-argument? What's wrong with a show being lighthearted? Aren't the cartoons of what we call the "golden age of cartoons" (aka the 40s) mostly slapstick-filled silly shows?

I prefer to have only lighthearted shows than a lot of garbage action shows only created to sell the toyies to the kiddies like there were in the 80s/90s/2000s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/23/18 at 7:26 am

What's up with lighthearted being a contra-argument? What's wrong with a show being lighthearted? Aren't the cartoons of what we call the "golden age of cartoons" (aka the 40s) mostly slapstick-filled silly shows?

I prefer to have only lighthearted shows than a lot of garbage action shows only created to sell the toyies to the kiddies like there were in the 80s/90s/2000s.

Preach! I love Samurai Jack and the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon about as much as I love Adventure Time and new toons, but let’s face it: 99% of the rest of it was schlock. Even if I remember them fondly, I must admit it was schlock.

Written By: Dundee on 03/23/18 at 7:58 am

Preach! I love Samurai Jack and the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon about as much as I love Adventure Time and new toons, but let’s face it: 99% of the rest of it was schlock. Even if I remember them fondly, I must admit it was schlock.
Yeah, it's just hard to put the pink glasses of nostalgia away. I've recently rewatched a few episodes of a show called "The New Adventures of Jonny Quest" that was in heavy syndication when I was young and I remember really liking it. It's only now I noticed how a lot of it is cheap, badly animated and just second-rate showy boyish stuff in general.

I stopped caring about YouTube commenters because a lot of their arguments can be applied to older shows too (non-seriousness, art style being copied, nonsensicallity and so on) and are moslty reduced to the "Today's stuff SUCKS, the things I grew up with are way better OF COURSE" mentality.

IMO the fact I know so many adults are catching up on recent shows is just a testament of how great decade has been for animation.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/23/18 at 8:01 am

Relevant:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3b/a9/70/3ba970bb2bbd1a4f2f0f91878c26ab2b.jpg

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/23/18 at 9:08 am

Jesus Christ, you guys obviously aren't able to comprehend what I'm saying. So I rest my case.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/23/18 at 9:10 am

Relevant:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3b/a9/70/3ba970bb2bbd1a4f2f0f91878c26ab2b.jpg

I don't believe that everything was better when I was 12 or in my childhood but nice try.

You continue to not compregend my point. Shemp97 needs to come in and get it through your heads.

Written By: Shemp97 on 03/23/18 at 10:36 am

Jesus Christ, you guys obviously aren't able to comprehend what I'm saying. So I rest my case.

That's what the current era of TV does. It makes you oblivious to its better days.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/23/18 at 10:49 am

That's what the current era of TV does. It makes you oblivious to its better days.

ROTFL

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 2:45 pm

I was watching Cartoon Network frequently in 2012 & 2013, I didn't have cable until 2012, by the way. Adventure Time, Regular Show, and TAWOG were great. I stopped watching cartoons before Steven Universe aired. From what I've gathered from the YouTuber RebelTaxi, the landscape of Cartoon Network and cartoons in general has changed since the Early 2010's. They ended Regular Show last year and they're ending Adventure Time this year. Seems like where transitioning into 2020's cartoons. Early-Mid 2000's kids must have felt the same when they're shows were ending in the late 00's.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/18 at 3:04 pm

I was watching Cartoon Network frequently in 2012 & 2013, I didn't have cable until 2012, by the way. Adventure Time, Regular Show, and TAWOG were great. I stopped watching cartoons before Steven Universe aired. From what I've gathered from the YouTuber RebelTaxi, the landscape of Cartoon Network and cartoons in general has changed since the Early 2010's. They ended Regular Show last year and they're ending Adventure Time this year. Seems like where transitioning into 2020's cartoons. Early-Mid 2000's kids must have felt the same when they're shows were ending in the late 00's.

BTW, when were you born?

Also, welcome to inthe00s.com! :)

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 3:09 pm

BTW, when were you born?

Also, welcome to inthe00s.com! :)

I was born in January 2002. I'm FoxMcCloud16 or TwilightPrince16, but I deleted my account yesterday because I got mad. I tried to log back in, but the owners of the site had already confirmed the deletion by then. :-[

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 3:23 pm

For the 2010s, I think cartoons were... okay. Although, it doesn't really warrant enough for me to like them so much. You have stuff like Rick & Morty, Regular Show, Adventure Time, Harvey Beaks, and F is For Morty for some examples of cartoons that I like for this decade. But throughout this decade, it seems rather dull in terms of variety. Not to mention that cringe culture is what ruin these cartoons for some people like me.

2000s cartoons > 1990s cartoons >> 2010s cartoons > 40s-60s cartoons > 80s cartoons >>>>>>>>>>>> 70s cartoons

Also, you can't top the 2010s with the 90s. It seems rather impossible when you compare them to its quality.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/18 at 3:39 pm

I was born in January 2002. I'm FoxMcCloud16 or TwilightPrince16, but I deleted my account yesterday because I got mad. I tried to log back in, but the owners of the site had already confirmed the deletion by then. :-[

Oh damn.

Well, welcome back!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/18 at 3:40 pm

2000s cartoons > 1990s cartoons >> 2010s cartoons > 40s-60s cartoons > 80s cartoons >>>>>>>>>>>> 70s cartoons

Also, you can't top the 2010s with the 90s. It seems rather impossible when you compare them to its quality.

I mostly agree.

My ranking:
2000s cartoons > 1990s cartoons >> 40s-60s cartoons >>>> 2010s cartoons >> 80s cartoons >>>>>>>>>>>> 70s cartoons

Written By: Dundee on 03/31/18 at 4:07 pm

90s(+ early 2000s continuation) > 2010s > 2000s :o (even though it's mostly close for these first three) > 60s (I always forget how great the 60s were for animation) > 40s-50s (great too but lacks variety) > 20s-30s (I love the early charm) >>>>>>>>>>>>> 80s (Don't think I ever genuinely enjoyed a cartoon from then, the 80s were in general an abysmal decade for television)

Don't think I ever watched a 70s cartoon lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/18 at 4:28 pm

Don't think I ever watched a 70s cartoon lol

Here are some notable '70s cartoons:

*Scooby Doo, Where Are You?
*Hong Kong Phooey
*Schoolhouse Rock
*Super Friends (1973)
*Sealab 2020
*Josie and the Pussycats

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 4:30 pm

Here are some notable '70s cartoons:

*Hong Kong Phooey
*Schoolhouse Rock
*Super Friends (1973)
*Sealab 2020
*Josie and the Pussycats

Scooby Doo and Josie & the Pussycats seem to be some of the only gems from the 70s.

Written By: Dundee on 03/31/18 at 4:35 pm

I always associate it more with the 60s (the mod & hippie inspired characters), but I guess I will give it to the 70s then which puts them already above the 80s ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/18 at 4:48 pm

I always associate it more with the 60s (the mod & hippie inspired characters), but I guess I will give it to the 70s then which puts them already above the 80s ;D

It started in 1969, so that's why.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/31/18 at 4:49 pm

Scooby Doo and Josie & the Pussycats seem to be some of the only gems from the 70s.

Also, Hong Kong Phooey was decent.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 5:19 pm

It started in 1969, so that's why.

It's more of a late 60s/early 70s show. Even though it only aired new episodes for about a year.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 03/31/18 at 5:44 pm

My favorite cartoon from this decade is Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it started when I was 9 in late '08, but it officially ended in early 2014 when they added the sixth season to Netflix.

It's actually my favorite cartoon show of all time, believe it or not, I loved that show. :)

Written By: Wobo on 03/31/18 at 5:45 pm

For the 2010s, I think cartoons were... okay. Although, it doesn't really warrant enough for me to like them so much. You have stuff like Rick & Morty, Regular Show, Adventure Time, Harvey Beaks, and F is For Morty for some examples of cartoons that I like for this decade. But throughout this decade, it seems rather dull in terms of variety. Not to mention that cringe culture is what ruin these cartoons for some people like me.

Opinion.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/01/18 at 10:31 pm

My favorite cartoon from this decade is Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it started when I was 9 in late '08, but it officially ended in early 2014 when they added the sixth season to Netflix.

It's actually my favorite cartoon show of all time, believe it or not, I loved that show. :)

It's really telling when your favourite cartoon from "this decade" debuted last decade.

Written By: Wobo on 07/07/18 at 6:32 pm

Another 2010s cartoon I forgot, was Randy Cunningham, it use to air on Disney XD and another awesome Disney cartoon was Kick Buttowski.

Check for new replies or respond here...