inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Flip Phones Making a Comeback

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/18 at 5:17 am

What was once old shall be new again. Several manufacturers are now working to make smart phones in a flip-phone format.  8)

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fnews%2Ffoldable-iphone-2020-rumor%2F#pt0-68676

Subject: Re: Flip Phones Making a Comeback

Written By: Dundee on 03/24/18 at 5:44 am

Nice, good way to start the 2000s nostalgia wave in the 2020s  8)

Written By: ofkx on 03/24/18 at 10:58 am

now I can be all dramatic when ending a phone call ;D

Written By: John Titor on 03/24/18 at 12:25 pm

Nice, good way to start the 2000s nostalgia wave in the 2020s  8)

it already started last year

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/18 at 1:02 pm

What was once old shall be new again. Several manufacturers are now working to make smart phones in a flip-phone format.  8)

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnet.com%2Fnews%2Ffoldable-iphone-2020-rumor%2F#pt0-68676

I'm getting a 404 error on the link.

As for flip phones making a comeback, since having a cell phone-they have ALWAYS been a flip phone. I always say that we don't have a smart phone, we have a dumb phone. We only use our cell when we are traveling otherwise it sits in the kitchen. We don't need our phone going to the grocery store or the dentist or any other errand we need to do. My beef I have with the phone is that we can't block annoying calls.  >:(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/18 at 2:13 pm

Cat

Try this one... :)

https://www.cnet.com/news/foldable-iphone-2020-rumor/

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/24/18 at 2:32 pm

As for flip phones making a comeback, since having a cell phone-they have ALWAYS been a flip phone. I always say that we don't have a smart phone, we have a dumb phone. We only use our cell when we are traveling otherwise it sits in the kitchen. We don't need our phone going to the grocery store or the dentist or any other errand we need to do. My beef I have with the phone is that we can't block annoying calls.  >:(

Cat

Sometimes I think about just leaving my phone at home but then I think about what would happen if I got into some kind of accident and I'd have to wait forever for someone to come and help me. I've been in that situation before. It sucks.

Written By: Milk on 03/24/18 at 2:52 pm

i don't think it's gonna happen tbh

Written By: Howard on 03/24/18 at 3:08 pm

Try this one... :)

https://www.cnet.com/news/foldable-iphone-2020-rumor/

Why is that we have to wait 2 years? ???

Written By: Dundee on 03/24/18 at 3:50 pm

Why is that we have to wait 2 years? ???
Cuz it's a 2020s thing, and we are still not there yet ;)

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/24/18 at 5:24 pm

Well won't that look silly.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 12:37 am

Those aren't flip phones.. They are foldable phones that folds the display in half. It is modern and futuristic along with flexible displays.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 1:43 am

They might come out at the end of this year. I definitely don't think Apple will be the first, lol. Apple phones are usually 2-3 years behind.

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/25/18 at 9:10 am

Its interesting that their under label "flip phones" If only I could get the whole era back though.

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/25/18 at 1:32 pm

The Nintendo DS making a comeback!  :D :D :D

https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/Q_VSC_uVQuY0NXXGII-nBWIKJa8=/936x527/2017/12/01/033cfa13-3ac0-491b-8f93-415970c429e7/zte-axon-m-7491-001.jpg

Written By: duenas8 on 03/25/18 at 1:40 pm

We’ve had zero innovation in the cell phone industry in the last 8 years. Just thinner craps with better camera. We need new companies to enter in the game to make new designs and inspire the others

Written By: Howard on 03/25/18 at 2:19 pm

They might come out at the end of this year. I definitely don't think Apple will be the first, lol. Apple phones are usually 2-3 years behind.

Will it be the same flip phones from the 90's? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 2:22 pm

Will it be the same flip phones from the 90's? ???

No they're not even flip phones. Big misconcetption calling them that. They are just phones that can turn into large tablets and easily fit in your pocket and the palm of your hand. It is innovative and new as the actual display folds. It is a cool concept. One came out last year but it was bad with a giant bezel in the middle of it.

Written By: ofkx on 03/25/18 at 4:27 pm

No they're not even flip phones. Big misconcetption calling them that. They are just phones that can turn into large tablets and easily fit in your pocket and the palm of your hand. It is innovative and new as the actual display folds. It is a cool concept. One came out last year but it was bad with a giant bezel in the middle of it.

Which phone was that?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 4:49 pm

Which phone was that?

ZTE Axon M. It came out in November of last year but it's not the best.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/zte-axon-m,review-4905.html

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 5:28 pm

We’ve had zero innovation in the cell phone industry in the last 8 years. Just thinner craps with better camera. We need new companies to enter in the game to make new designs and inspire the others

This is like complaining that there has been no innovation in PCs and laptops in the last 20-30 years just because the form factor is the same.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 5:29 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/25/17044634/nokia-8110-matrix-banana-phone-mwc-2018

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10288071/twarren_180223_2327_0036.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 5:45 pm

This is like complaining that there has been no innovation in PCs and laptops in the last 20-30 years just because the form factor is the same.

Form factor in cell phones is important for innovation. I don't want to be in 2030 using the same flat display that has been popular for the last 10 years. That would be terrible.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 5:51 pm

Form factor in cell phones is important for innovation. I don't want to be in 2030 using the same flat display that has been popular for the last 10 years. That would be terrible.

How would you innovate it? It's a screen. Of course it's flat and rectangular.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 6:07 pm

How would you innovate it? It's a screen. Of course it's flat and rectangular.

No it's not supposed always be flat and rectangular... That is dated, non-innovative and boring. Flexible display technology has been talked about for years, and that is what the next step is. Flat displays are boring and I want my next smartphone to be different and innovative. Curved displays, flexible displays, and foldable displays are all innovative ways to change form factor and Samsung has been working on Youm displays as well as LG. Other form factor changes like making the phone small and then being able to make it bigger into a tablet or tv are also ways to innovate the form factor and these are called rollable displays. Then there are form factors that make the phone transperent and also form factors that allow you to wear it on your wrist as a watch which is convenient. This is not only more innovative and modern, this also makes the screen less likely to break or damage which can solve a lot of problems. I would NOT want a flat display in even two years from now. That would be incredibly boring and I am surprised you don't think the same because I know how forward thinking and technologically inclined you are.

https://www.oled-info.com/files/LG-Display-5-inch-flexible-OLED-prototype-sid-2013-img_assist-289x195.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/A1azlGZiBvc/maxresdefault.jpg

https://icdn3.digitaltrends.com/image/samsung-flexible-display-smartphone-promo-720x720.jpg?ver=1.jpg

http://www.beginnerstech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/lgflex.jpg

Internal specs and form factor are both equally important for innovation and there has not been enough innovation in form factor making competition bad and all phones looking the same. In fact form factor is exactly what I'm looking forward to next given all phones perform pretty much the same these days. I know Samsung put out curved displays, but there needs to be more inmovation in the near future for flexible displays.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 6:29 pm

Those flexible, foildable phones look terribly awkward to hold. And they're just plain ugly 8-P

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 6:33 pm

Those flexible, foildable phones look terribly awkward to hold. And they're just plain ugly 8-P

They are awesome.

This is ugly:
https://alexnld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/d203420505154522f315.jpg

This is not:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pU0hb-2Srj4/hqdefault.jpg

The first one looks like a rectangular hockey puck or a piece of poop. The second one looks beautiful.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 6:35 pm

The fact phones have been rectangular is simply because it's the most convenient way to display a screen without making the act of holding it annoying, as well as easily putting it in your pocket (just why a wallet or pack of cigarets are rectangular).

Tvs have been rectangular for over a century now and no one seemed to care, why should we do for phones?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 6:36 pm

The fact phones have been rectangular simply because it's the most convenient way to display a screen without making the act of holding it annoying, as well as easily putting it in our pocket (just why a wallet or pack of cigarets are rectangular).

Tvs have been rectangular for over a century now and no one seemed to care, why should we do for phones?

Uh no they have constantly changed in form factor from old faahioned corded telephones to tiny cell phones, to flip phones, to slider phones, to flat display touchscreens and now the next step is flexible displays... It's innovation.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 6:38 pm

Yeah, I don't get the point of having a bendy screen (other than not breaking when you drop it). 99.99% of the time it would be in rectangular mode. Foldable screen will have some uses but it's still a rectangular screen, just two of them lol.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 6:40 pm

Uh no they have constantly changed in form factor from old faahioned corded telephones to tiny cell phones, to flip phones, to slider phones, to flat display touchscreens and now the next step is flexible displays... It's innovation.

Comparing smartphones to corded phones  is disingenuous in my opinion. They're portable computers that have a calling feature as far as I'm concerned.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 6:43 pm

This is not:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pU0hb-2Srj4/hqdefault.jpg

Lol this is not ugly, this is beyond atrocious. What is this though, some kind of screen-paper? Having to constantly pull it so it doesn't foil while watching a vid? No thanks

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 6:44 pm

Yeah, I don't get the point of having a bendy screen (other than not breaking when you drop it). 99.99% of the time it would be in rectangular mode. Foldable screen will have some uses but it's still a rectangular screen, just two of them lol.

Lots of reasons... Firstly you can get a larger display with more screen real estate. You can't fit a 10 inch tablet in your pocket or in the palm of your hand, with a foldable display you easily can and having extra screen is awesome and you don't have to carry around two devices..

Secondly, it makes the screen impossible to shatter. By having a flexible display the phone virtually becomes inbreakable.

Thirdly, you are able to use the device in many ways such as wearing it as a watch or even rolling it up into a giant TV screen. This is VERY convenient and futuristic.

Lastly, it just plain looks cool and innovative. Creates more competition like before and people can buy phones based on how they look as all of them perform the same now. Anything that isn't a flat boring display which has been popular for a long time now and is new is worth it. I'm surprised how you don't see this lol.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 6:46 pm

Comparing smartphones to corded phones  is disingenuous in my opinion. They're portable computers that have a calling feature as far as I'm concerned.

And? If you think the form factor of a pocket computer should look the same 20 years later you have very little innovation. It should change naturally as components get smaller and more powerful which means you can decrase the size, change the form factor, add more features to the hardware that will look more modern and new. Look at my post above on how new form factors are useful.

It's also important to note that laptops have changed form factor. They used to be big and bulky and now they have thin infinity displays and even the screen can be taken off and be used as a tablet. Desktops too. All in one displays were not a thing back in the 1990s.

Look you guys have fun with your boring flat displays but they will be dated soon and obsolete. I am looking forward to my next phone being foldable and flexible and looking futuristic. Innovation is always important and form factor is a big part that will change and that's a good thing.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 6:52 pm

Lots of reasons... Firstly you can get a larger display with more screen real estate. You can't fit a 10 inch tablet in your pocket or in the palm of your hand, with a foldable display you easily can and having extra screen is awesome and you don't have to carry around two devices..

Secondly, it makes the screen impossible to shatter. By having a flexible display the phone virtually becomes inbreakable.

Thirdly, you are able to use the device in many ways such as wearing it as a watch or even rolling it up into a giant TV screen. This is VERY convenient and futuristic.

Lastly, it just plain looks cool and innovative. Creates more competition like before and people can buy phones based on how they look as all of them perform the same now. Anything that isn't a flat boring display which has been popular for a long time now and is new is worth it. I'm surprised how you don't see this lol.

I can see the point in foldable screen (which is what this thread is about) but those bendy The Persistence of Memory-esque and banana phone screens seem needless. Like I said I can see how it would protect the screen if it dropped, but you don't need near 100% malleability to accomplish this, in fact that sounds very inconvenient

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 6:55 pm

I can see the point in foldable screen (which is what this thread is about) but those bendy The Persistence of Memory-esque and banana phone screens seem needless. Like I said I can see how it would protect the screen if it dropped, but you don't need near 100% malleability to accomplish this, in fact that sounds very inconvenient

That's good you see the point as they are very useful. Foldable and flexible screens are both good innovations and are useful. Either of these are MUCH better than the ones that we have now that are boring and have been out for a long time given the reasons I listed.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 7:02 pm

And? If you think the form factor of a pocket computer should look the same 20 years later you have very little innovation. It should change naturally as components get smaller and more powerful which means you can decrase the size, change the form factor, add more features to the hardware that will look more modern and new. Look at my post above on how new form factors are useful.

It's also important to note that laptops have changed form factor. They used to be big and bulky and now they have thin infinity displays and even the screen can be taken off and be used as a tablet. Desktops too. All in one displays were not a thing back in the 1990s.

Look you guys have fun with your boring flat displays bit they will be dated soon and obsolete. I am looking forward to my next phone being foldable and flexible and looking futuristic. Innovation is always important and form factor is a big part that will change and that's a good thing.

All those PCs and laptops are rectangular screens with keyboards, same as 20 years ago. If you can say smartphones haven't changed in the last 8 years then I can say laptops haven't changed in the last 20 years too. Tablet screens were a thing in the late 1990s.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 7:11 pm

All those PCs and laptops are rectangular screens with keyboards, same as 20 years ago. If you can say smartphones haven't changed in the last 8 years then I can say laptops haven't changed in the last 20 years too. Tablet screens were a thing in the late 1990s.

No they don't... Many laptops don't even have physical keyboards but rather type pads. Also, laptops before were not rectangular but they were square. The fact you can remove the screen and use it as a tablet proves it has changed dramatically in form factor... All in ones only got popular in the early 2010s as well. The same will be for smartphones, it's only a matter of time and that's a good thing. If you think the latest IPhone in 2025 will look similar to this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/IPhone_X_vector.svg/449px-IPhone_X_vector.svg.png
you are hugely mistaken. If it is like that, that would be horrible. But smartphones will innovate and change form facor, and that's a good thing. Like I said I am surprised you disagree because I know you are innovative, forward thinking and technologically inclined. Also keep in mind smartphones have already changed a bit of their form factor given there are way less bezels and they are thinner than they were a few years ago. It will only change even more from now on.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 7:36 pm

Airplanes have looked pretty much the same for the past 60 years.

Does that mean that has been no innovation regarding airplanes?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 7:49 pm

Airplanes have looked pretty much the same for the past 60 years.

Does that mean that has been no innovation regarding airplanes?

Really? You are gonna compare airplanes which have been around for over a hundred years and changed dramatically since 1903, and smartphones which have only been around for around a decade? Terrible comparison and argument. Smartphones are a new concept and we have not even closely seen the amount of innovation it can have. Completely different.
Airplane from 1903:
http://monovisions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Wright-Brothers-First-Flight-in-1903-06-1040x440.jpg
Airplane from 1915:
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/Curtiss-MailJenny/IMAGES/bw-mail-jenny.jpg
THIS is a better comparison 12 years later. Here you do see a clear difference. 12 years later from the smartphone I expect the same... How the heck are you gonna make the comparison of a mature product like an airplane from the 1960s? Compare new inventions and products, not ones that have been around for a hundred years from the 50 point mark up to now...

Also I know where you stand on the topic of innovation, so you don't even have to say it LOL. You are the Luddite of inthe00s.com and that is clear from all your previous statements and discussions you had on here and all the times you made fun of innovative, forward-thinking people like me and Slowpke using name-calling.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 7:54 pm

No they don't... Many laptops don't even have physical keyboards but rather type pads.
that's not innovation because the form factor is still the same.

Also, laptops before were not rectangular but they were square.

C'mon, that's still the same form factor. iPhones were 3:2 aspect ratio and are now 16:9. The iPhone X also has some other aspect ratio.

The fact you can remove the screen and use it as a tablet proves it has changed dramatically in form factor... All in ones only got popular in the early 2010s as well.
There were tablet laptops that could fold in the early 2000s. Same form factor.

The same will be for smartphones, it's only a matter of time and that's a good thing. If you think the latest IPhone in 2025 will look similar to this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/IPhone_X_vector.svg/449px-IPhone_X_vector.svg.png
you are hugely mistaken. If it is like that, that would be horrible. But smartphones will innovate and change form facor, and that's a good thing. Like I said I am surprised you disagree because I know you are innovative, forward thinking and technologically inclined. Also keep in mind smartphones have already changed a bit of their form factor given there are way less bezels and they are thinner than they were a few years ago. It will only change even more from now on.

I didn't say that phones will still look the same. I just think it's ridiculous to say that there's no innovation in smartphones because the phone screen is still flat and rectangular. The OP said phones being thinner and bigger doesn't count.

I'm excited for foldable screens like in the OP, those phone screens will still be flat and rectangular though. As far as bendable paper-like screens goes, I would still only want to bend it so much to make it flat and rectangular, and then roll it up when I'm not using it. In the end, I'll still be using it like I do today's phones (flat and rectangular). :P There's a reason phones are flat and rectangular, and it's not because people are unimaginative. There's still so much innovations in smartphones despite that.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 7:59 pm

that's not innovation because the form factor is still the same.

C'mon, that's still the same form factor. iPhones were 3:2 aspect ratio and are now 16:9. The iPhone X also has some other aspect ratio.
There were tablet laptops that could fold in the early 2000s. Same form factor.

I didn't say that phones will still look the same. I just think it's ridiculous to say that there's no innovation in smartphones because the phone screen is still flat and rectangular. The OP said phones being thinner and bigger doesn't count.

I'm excited for foldable screens like in the OP, those phone screens will still be flat and rectangular though. As far as bendable paper-like screens goes, I would still only want to bend it so much to make it flat and rectangular, and then roll it up when I'm not using it. In the end, I'll still be using it like I do today's phones (flat and rectangular). :P There's a reason phones are flat and rectangular, and it's not because people are unimaginative. There's still so much innovations in smartphones despite that.

Foldable displays are different from flat and rectangular... It is a completely different form factor. Same goes for flexible displays. Flat and rectagualr is what we see now, foldable displays is what we will see in the future. Just like TVs. They used to be cubed and curved on the outside, now they are flat and curve on the inside.  It has less to do with shape, and more about overall form factor. Laptops and desktops have all changed form factor too but I'm hoping smartphones make an even more dramatic move in terms of form factor.

There have been innovations inside, but these have been very weak ever since 2015. Smartphones are very boring now. Lol Samsung literally calls things that should have been there in the first place "upgraded features" like the fingerprint scanner being in the right position at the back. The only ok innovation they have done in the last couple of years was bezeless displays, but this is so minor there needs to be a bigger change in form factor.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:06 pm

Really? You are gonna compare airplanes which have been around for over a hundred years and changed dramatically since 1903, and smartphones which have only been around for around a decade? Terrible comparison and argument. Smartphones are a new concept and we have not even closely seen the amount of innovation it can have. Completely different.
Airplane from 1903:
http://monovisions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Wright-Brothers-First-Flight-in-1903-06-1040x440.jpg
Airplane from 1915:
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/Curtiss-MailJenny/IMAGES/bw-mail-jenny.jpg
THIS is a better comparison 12 years later. Here you do see a clear difference. 12 years later from the smartphone I expect the same... How the heck are you gonna make the comparison of a mature product like an airplane from the 1960s? Compare new inventions and products, not ones that have been around for a hundred years from the 50 point mark up to now...

Also I know where you stand on the topic of innovation, so you don't even have to say it LOL. You are the Luddite of inthe00s.com and that is clear from all your previous statements and discussions you had on here and all the times you made fun of innovative, forward-thinking people like me and Slowpke using name-calling.

You're being purposefully obtuse.

Airplane design has barely changed since 1958 when Boeing introduced the 707.

The Boeing 707:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Boeing_707-121%2C_Pan_Am_JP6888703.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 8:10 pm

You're being purposefully obtuse.

Airplane design has barely changed since 1958 when Boeing introduced the 707.

The Boeing 707:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Boeing_707-121%2C_Pan_Am_JP6888703.jpg

Yes and I already explained that to you obviously... That's because airplanes have been around for 50 years when the 1950s arrived... Which means they have matured at that point. Smartphones have been around for only 10 years. So your argument is weak and doesn't make any sense. So you can't compare the '50s planes to today. You can only compare when the first airplane came out to one 12 years later as that is fair when you compare a new invention like smartphones to ones 12 years later. So again, very bad argument.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 8:21 pm

Are seriously gonna reach a point where we're comparing airplanes to smartphones? LOL

Written By: Wobo on 03/25/18 at 8:22 pm

Are seriously gonna reach a point where we're comparing airplanes to smartphones? LOL

Lol

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:22 pm

Yes and I already explained that to you obviously... That's because airplanes have been around for 50 years when the 1950s arrived... Which means they have matured at that point. Smartphones have been around for only 10 years. So your argument is weak and doesn't make any sense. So you can't compare the '50s planes to today. You can only compare when the first airplane came out to one 12 years later as that is fair when you compare a new invention like smartphones to ones 12 years later. So again, very bad argument.

Smartphones have been around since the '90s. The first smartphone was the IBM Simon in 1994 and the term "smartphone" was coined in 1995.

Also, phones are much simpler than planes, so cellphone design will be less innovative. It's common sense.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:22 pm

What's the problem? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 8:24 pm

Smartphones has been around since the '90s. The first smartphone was the IBM Simon in 1994 and the term "smartphone" was coined in 1995.

Also, phones are much simpler than planes, so cellphone design will be less innovative. It's common sense.

No, incorrect again. Smartphones have only been 'around' for 10 years, more or less. Saying smartphones have been around since the '90s is like saying the internet has been around since the '60s, because the internet was technically invented in the '60s. Smartphones are a new invention. So my argument still stands.

And what? The fact that they are simpler would make it easier to innovate and change the design... What on earth are you talking about? The more complex something is the harder it is to innovate. The more simple it is, you can do so much stuff with it and innovate. So again, terrible argument.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 8:25 pm

What's the problem? ???

Nothing, let's keep doing inane comparisons that bring strictly no point to the discussion. Next: let's compare a crayon to a space shuttle

Why aren't crayons as quickly evolving as space shuttles???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:32 pm

No, incorrect again. Smartphones have only been 'around' for 10 years, more or less. Saying smartphones have been around since the '90s is like saying the internet has been around since the '60s, because the internet was technically invented in the '60s. Smartphones are a new invention. So my argument still stands.

Yes, the Internet has been around since the '60s. What's the problem?

And what? The fact that they are simpler would make it easier to innovate and change the design... What on earth are you talking about? The more complex something is the harder it is to innovate. The more simple it is, you can do so much stuff with it and innovate. So again, terrible argument.

This is false.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:35 pm

Nothing, let's keep doing inane comparisons that bring strictly no point to the discussion. Next: let's compare a crayon to a space shuttle

What are you even talking about?

I was using another invention to show that just because the design of an invention has remained unchanged for a long time doesn't mean that there hasn't been any innovation when it comes to that invention.

Stop overanalyzing my statement and trying to be a smart Alec.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 8:35 pm

This is false.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:36 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif

Simpler things are often harder to change or innovate.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 8:40 pm

Lol true. Comparing airplanes to smartphones is ridiculous. Completely different concepts, different time frames of when the product was around, and different levels of innovation where one has nothing to do with another.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/25/18 at 8:40 pm

This thread is very innovative. It went from being about flip phones, to airplanes, to the internet, to crayons and space shuttles all in a matter of 3 pages.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 8:42 pm

This thread is very innovative. It went from being about flip phones, to airplanes, to the internet, to crayons and space shuttles all in a matter of 3 pages.

It all started with Slim95.

Cellphones have around since 1973 and he wonders "Why isn't there much innovation?" ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 8:47 pm

It all started with Slim95.

https://media.giphy.com/media/VrSZDlpRaHYje/giphy.gif

LOL it actually started with this post:

And I wholeheartedly agree with this comment.

Cellphones have around since 1973 and he wonders "Why isn't there much innovation?" ::)

The thread is a discussion about smartphones, LOL. Modern-day smartphones have only been around for 10 years, and have already innovated in internal specs and even form factor given foldable phones are coming out and Samsung already has curved displays. They will continue to do so as well given the entire content of this thread, and I hope they do as that's a good thing.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 8:53 pm

Lets keep talking about crayons and spacd shuttles tbh.

I'm sorry to tell you guys but crayons > space shuttles imo, I just happen to find crayons more convenient to use than space sheeshtles for some weird reason ???

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 8:55 pm

I bet you can't deny the severe fact that my crayon is the coolest  8)

https://media.cultura.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/3086124000321.jpg?t=1509864873

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 8:56 pm

https://media.cultura.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/3086124000321.jpg?t=1509864873

That's a pencil  :P

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/25/18 at 8:56 pm

This thread sucks.

Written By: Wobo on 03/25/18 at 8:58 pm

This thread sucks.

Some threads end up becoming like this.

Written By: Dundee on 03/25/18 at 8:58 pm

That's a pencil  :P

It's so cool it can be whatever it wants

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/25/18 at 9:00 pm

Strongly doubt it will ever make a comeback, to be honest.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 9:01 pm

Strongly doubt it will ever make a comeback, to be honest.

I agree.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 9:07 pm

I agree.

I agree too. Foldable phones are not the same as flip phones. Foldable phones already came out last year like the ZTE Axon M. Flip phones are a mid 2000s thing. Foldable phones is a 2017 thing as it came out last year. So what is it that you don't agree on lol?

If you're arguing foldable phones won't come out for your luddite reasons, I already told you it came out last year. The ZTE Axon M is a phone you can buy today and it came out last year:

xX31xYRl-II

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/25/18 at 9:15 pm

I agree too. Foldable phones are not the same as flip phones. Foldable phones already came out last year like the ZTE Axon M. Flip phones are a mid 2000s thing. Foldable phones is a 2017 thing as it came out last year. So what is it that you don't agree on lol?

If you're arguing foldable phones won't come out for your luddite reasons, I already told you it came out last year. The ZTE Axon M is a phone you can buy today and it came out last year:

xX31xYRl-II

What? http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/why.png

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/25/18 at 9:18 pm

Just when you thought they were done making Nintendo DS handhelds.

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zte-axon-m-6-640x360.png

Written By: Slim95 on 03/25/18 at 10:36 pm

Simpler things are often harder to change or innovate.

No, simpler inventions are easier to change and innovate, this should be common knowledge. You can add a lot more onto it. But anyway, no offense but I think I would know more about technology than you given where I am in my studies and career lol.  :P

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 11:59 pm

No there has been no innovation in posts for the last 20 years. You hit quote you type a reply and post and all the posts are the same format. You read one post you read them all. I hope there is innovation in posts soon, maybe sh*tposts or posts consisting entirely of cat GIFs instead of words.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/18 at 12:09 am

xX31xYRl-II

Hnggg I need this in my life. The reason I got a Note 4 was for the multi-window feature, so I could open the dictionary app and the flashcard app at the same time while reading foreign language books (for language learning). If I could get a dual screen to do that my life would be complete.

Just when you thought they were done making Nintendo DS handhelds.

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zte-axon-m-6-640x360.png

Bruh the 3DS still exists. Don't tell me you don't have one. You know the only reason I'm not mod was because I threatened to ban people who didn't buy Pokémon Moon.  ???

Written By: Slim95 on 03/26/18 at 12:12 am

Hnggg I need this in my life. The reason I got a Note 4 was for the multi-window feature, so I could open the dictionary app and the flashcard app at the same time while reading foreign language books (for language learning). If I could get a dual screen to do that my life would be complete.

Wait until Samsung comes in with a phone that perfects the concept. I bet they will have no bezel in the middle so it's nice and seamless.

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/18 at 12:15 am

Wait until Samsung perfects it. I bet they will have no bezel in the middle so it's nice and seamless.

I tinkered with my rooted Note 4 so much over the last three and a half years it barely turns on half the time (it has mmc_read fail error) ;D I hope that phone comes out soon because this phone is hanging on for dear life x_x

Written By: Howard on 03/26/18 at 5:24 am

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/25/17044634/nokia-8110-matrix-banana-phone-mwc-2018

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10288071/twarren_180223_2327_0036.jpg

That's really cool looking.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/18 at 5:25 am

What would happen if you had dropped them? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/26/18 at 5:27 am

Good question. That's why a true flip phone is a better idea and is coming back. They're more durable.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/18 at 5:28 am

cause crayons have basically stayed the same.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/18 at 5:30 am

that's a pencil.

Written By: Dundee on 03/26/18 at 5:34 am

Good question. That's why a true flip phone is a better idea and is coming back. They're more durable.
Not really, flip phones being made out of two distinct parts, the can easier snap and break into two pieces. That's what happened with my mom once. At least with a smartphone you can at worst expecting the screen to shatter and still be functional after that.

Written By: Dundee on 03/26/18 at 5:40 am

that's a pencil.
My crayon is too cool to be called a pencil  8)

Written By: y2kkid92 on 03/26/18 at 6:15 am

Smartphones have been out since mid 03 I bought my Motorola c975 in late 04, in the 2005-2006 school year I would say at least 1 out of 6 kids had one, a significant amount of us 13 year olds were already using 3g services and video calling each other on our 1.3-2megampixel cameras, smartphones are not new it's just the futuristic Kaky looking touch screen ones which everyone is obsessed with which is what you mean, those took over in 2011-2012

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/18 at 8:47 am

If you dropped them, it would bend to absorb the impact instead of breaking. Phones already do this to some extent but this would make it more effective.

Written By: duenas8 on 03/27/18 at 3:31 am

If you think the latest IPhone in 2025 will look similar to this:

Sadly that’s what I think will happen :(, iPhone X seems the definitive form factor of 2020’s. I hope that there will be some sort of Nintendo Switch of smartphones, in terms of hardware innovation.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/18 at 7:30 am

I still have mine.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/27/18 at 5:28 pm

I still have mine.

I'd like to get one of those Jitterbug flip phones.  All phone with none of the BS.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/18 at 2:55 pm

I'd like to get one of those Jitterbug flip phones.  All phone with none of the BS.

That's how I like my phone.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 2:39 pm

My dad still had a flip phone in the late 2000's and early 2010's. A lot of my childhood pictures and videos are on that phone.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/09/18 at 4:19 pm

Smartphones have been around longer than most people realize. I remember watch the Disney Channel movie Stuck in the Subrubs and the word smartphone was used, and this movie came out in 2004 in the fliphone era.

Check for new replies or respond here...