inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is owning vintage tech weird?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/26/18 at 10:44 pm

Lately, I kind of want some vintage tech to sit right alongside my new tech.

For example, I just went out and bought a Sega Genesis. I want to buy a PS4 when it comes out.
I want to buy a CRT TV and VCR for one room, while having my flat screen 16 x 9 one in the other.

Is there an interest in 80s/90s tech beyond vinyl or am I just being weird?

Subject: Re: Is owning vintage tech weird?

Written By: 2001 on 03/26/18 at 11:57 pm

Retro gaming is a huge hobby, probably way bigger than collecting vinyl.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 03/27/18 at 1:45 am

No way! Its not weird at all! I have a CRT television in my bedroom that I love using for retro gaming. Though I do think its a little weird when people try to live in the past and ignore everything in the present.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 03/27/18 at 3:06 am

No way! Its not weird at all! I have a CRT television in my bedroom that I love using for retro gaming. Though I do think its a little weird when people try to live in the past and ignore everything in the present.

Same answer. I bought an original Xbox in July 2015 and collect games for it and play them, and while it's cool to enjoy things from the past, I'd say make sure to live in the present and not be stuck in the past.

Written By: duenas8 on 03/27/18 at 3:45 am

Vintage tech is cool for its design, not necessarily for nostalgia, as well as 50/60s fashion.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/18 at 7:29 am

I own an old Gameboy & a few vintage cameras as part of my collection.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 03/27/18 at 11:10 am

I own a N64, PS2, Wii and Xbox 360 as part of my video gaming collection. My parents still own a red Canon digital camera from either the late 00's or the early 10's (forgot what year they bought it).

Written By: Howard on 03/27/18 at 3:01 pm

My Father has downstairs in the basement an old Victrola, don't know how old it is but I'm sure it's pretty old.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/27/18 at 3:34 pm

Speaking of vinyl, does anyone do it for any reason other than to be hip and cool? I actually do have a record player, but it’s mostly to preserve my grandparents’ and parents’ old records which I’m really into.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/18 at 2:57 pm

Speaking of vinyl, does anyone do it for any reason other than to be hip and cool? I actually do have a record player, but it’s mostly to preserve my grandparents’ and parents’ old records which I’m really into.

My Father has his vinyl records but I don't think it's about being hip and cool it's just that he was a big collector of vinyls and 45's.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/18 at 3:03 pm

For example, I just went out and bought a Sega Genesis. I want to buy a PS4 when it comes out.
I want to buy a CRT TV and VCR for one room, while having my flat screen 16 x 9 one in the other.

The PS4 is already out, it's been out since 2013 ;D.

Do you mean the PS5?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/18 at 3:06 pm

To answer your question:

NO, it's not weird.

Written By: LooseBolt on 03/28/18 at 3:10 pm

My Father has his vinyl records but I don't think it's about being hip and cool it's just that he was a big collector of vinyls and 45's.

Oh I meant more the younger collectors that have sprung up since record players “came back.”

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/28/18 at 3:19 pm

Not at all. I bought an SNES from a used game place about a year or two back. I also still collect CDs and DVDs. Now that you mention CRT TVs, I've been considering buying one myself. I just don't have an extra room to put it in.

Written By: musicguy93 on 03/28/18 at 3:26 pm

Same answer. I bought an original Xbox in July 2015 and collect games for it and play them, but I think it's best to live in the present and not be stuck in the past.

I agree. The truth is technology is always advancing, and there's no stopping that. But we can still enjoy the aesthetics of various vintage technologies as a niche hobby. The way I see it, it's about getting the best of both worlds. Keeps life more interesting.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/18 at 3:33 pm

Oh I meant more the younger collectors that have sprung up since record players “came back.”

He has no interest in using vinyls, he transfers all his music to CDs and USBs.

Written By: Star Struck on 03/28/18 at 10:49 pm

It's not really weird. When I was cleaning out my room, I found my N64 but I only had 2 games. I could've swore I had more games, so I decided to go on a hunt for the games me and my siblings used to own. Heck, I even went on a hunt for my GBC and GBA games.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/28/18 at 10:55 pm

Considering that NES games, classic automobiles, and vinyl records are more expensive now than they've ever been, I'd say no, you're just an average collector.

Written By: wixness on 03/29/18 at 8:16 am

Nope. I think I would rather own a 2000s phone because the games on it were better, and texting on it IMO was better (with a keyboard actually designed for two thumbs). Problem is, I need some of the newer tech for some of its features (2000s phones don't support wi-fi and some integrations with things like cloud storage, which I'm increasingly needing).

I could also look into owning a PS2 (to play some PS2 games), but I just need space for my own stuff, and most of the games I want to play are on PC.

Written By: ofkx on 03/29/18 at 9:35 am

Depends? Someone using a phone from the 90s in 2018 is a bit weird, but someone playing NES today is not (they actually recently started selling it again).

Written By: Howard on 03/29/18 at 1:47 pm

Depends? Someone using a phone from the 90s in 2018 is a bit weird, but someone playing NES today is not (they actually recently started selling it again).

and what about if someone had played with a Gameboy in 2018, would that be weird?

Written By: Star Struck on 03/29/18 at 1:52 pm

and what about if someone had played with a Gameboy in 2018, would that be weird?

Which Game boy? The original, color, or advance series?

Written By: Howard on 03/29/18 at 2:06 pm

Which Game boy? The original, color, or advance series?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Nintendo_Gameboy.jpg

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 2:02 pm

Retro gaming is very popular right now. CRT TVs and monitors are being adopted by many. Vinyls are back in style.

To answer your question: No.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 2:07 pm

I don't think it's precisely weird to own vintage tech in my personal opinion. I love collecting VHS tapes. Seeing older computers from the 80s up to the late 2000s also fascinates me because they have parts that I could use if I have a bigger computer collection.

Check for new replies or respond here...