inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smoking

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/18 at 4:27 pm

Despite the stigma surrounding it, smoking was still relatively popular back in the late 2000s and early 2010s for people in their twenties.  I finally kicked the habit last June but for me, it seems like this is the decade where smoking has been marginalized and pushed out of pop culture.  Most states don't allow smoking in bars/restaurants anymore and even in those that do (like mine) more and more businesses are getting rid of it.  The crowd standing outside the bar smoking cigarettes seems much smaller than it was even a few years ago.  Has anybody else noticed this?  Is it still "cool" for people in the 18-25 age range to take up smoking like it was a decade ago?

Subject: Re: Smoking

Written By: 2001 on 03/28/18 at 4:51 pm

I kind of noticed this. When I went off to uni in 2011 there were a lot of smokers on campus and I thought it was really gross as did a lot of people my age. Around 2015/2016 I started noticing it a lot less, although it was still there. We banned selling cigarettes on campus in 2014 in a referendum, so yeah, most kids despised smokers :o

All the kewl kidz vape now. #VAPENATION

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/28/18 at 5:27 pm

Yeah Vape seems to have replaced regular smoking with a lot of people. And pot of course will never die.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/18 at 5:38 pm

Yeah Vape seems to have replaced regular smoking with a lot of people. And pot of course will never die.

I tried vape but that wasn't really satisfying to me compared to regular cigarettes.  Plus it's a huge hassle comparatively.  I do enjoy CBD-oil vaping though.  It has a calming affect, is not addictive like nicotine, and isn't intoxicating like marijuana.

Written By: Dapper99 on 03/28/18 at 6:17 pm

It does seem that cigarette smoking has gone down in the past 3 or 4 years. Vaping really did take over cigarettes but I don't mind because vapes don't have a bad smell and aren't as damaging for the lungs as smoking.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/28/18 at 8:24 pm

I do agree with the others that vaping has mostly replaced regular smoking for the most part. In fact, I was watching my friends Snapchat story and she was vaping with friends. It was at a birthday party.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/18 at 8:53 pm

It does seem that cigarette smoking has gone down in the past 3 or 4 years. Vaping really did take over cigarettes but I don't mind because vapes don't have a bad smell and aren't as damaging for the lungs as smoking.

The only thing I agree on is that vapes smell a million times better than cigarettes. However, the notion that vaping is healthier than smoking cigarettes is 100% false.

Smoking in general is completely bad for you (yes, that includes marijuana).

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/28/18 at 8:57 pm

The only thing I agree on is that vapes smell a million times better than cigarettes. However, the notion that vaping is healthier than smoking cigarettes is 100% false.

Smoking in general is completely bad for you (yes, that includes marijuana).

Even though people say vaping is better than regular smoking, I'm still afraid to vape and I just don't want to risk it lol. My friend once asked me if he should try vaping and I didn't even know how to answer that.  :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/28/18 at 9:00 pm

Even though people say vaping is better than regular smoking, I'm still afraid to vape and I just don't want to risk it lol. My friend once asked me if he should try vaping and I didn't even know how to answer that.  :-\\

You shouldn't succumb to peer pressure and I personally would advise you to say "No" or "No thanks" the next time she asks.

Vaping increases your chances of getting lung cancer and heart disease just like smoking cigarettes does.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/18 at 9:52 pm

I wouldn't recommend a non-smoker take up vaping.  However, if vaping works for smokers to get them off regular cigarettes, I would say it's a good thing.  It never quite "did it" for me, unfortunately.  I had to go cold turkey.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/28/18 at 9:56 pm

I wouldn't recommend a non-smoker take up vaping.  However, if vaping works for smokers to get them off regular cigarettes, I would say it's a good thing.  It never quite "did it" for me, unfortunately.  I had to go cold turkey.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't recommend it either. I personally didn't even want to risk it even after hearing that it was a "better" alternative, doesn't always mean there are no health risks.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/29/18 at 12:05 am

Vape and especially weed have replaced smoking cigarettes among teens and 20's for this generation now. I'm gonna be honest, I still have mixed feelings about marijuana. I would never touch nicotine, cocaine or tobacco that's an absolute hell no. If I smoke weed I'd only do it legally. If I have a major job one day where I'm getting paid tons of bucks then I'd stay away from all smoking. TBH society and different areas (culturally) have set standards for what they believe is okay between smoking nicotine, smoking weed, drinking alcohol, chewing tobacco, etc. You can say "well one's worse than the other, blah blah blah", "one's more dangerous than the other", "one will lead you to hell faster than the other", all have negative effects. Marijuana is the least damaging out of the whole list (this is proven by deep research, documentaries, and facts). But you know the government.... it's a long story I don't want to get into. Drug dealers for a specific drug are only going to exist if something is illegal. Imagine if alcohol or tobacco had been illegal for decades.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/18 at 12:09 am

I do not smoke thankfully. Tried it a few times, didn’t get the appeal and haven’t had one in several years since.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/18 at 12:12 am

Smoking, foul habit, a waste of time, money, and life!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/18 at 12:16 am

Smoking, foul habit, a waste of time, money, and life!

I agree!

Written By: Dundee on 03/29/18 at 4:26 am

I had a weird fixation on smoking when I was like 16 (granted I was still in my edgy teen phase), so I tried a few times and I never got the appeal. Not only that but the smoke makes me sick since that period 8-P

Plus the smoker-wannabe I was got heavily backlashed by my friends  ;D

Written By: ofkx on 03/29/18 at 5:26 am

I'm 16 and I have a few friends that vape. I personally vape from time to time too. There are people I know who smoke, although I don't like being near them much because I hate the smell of cigs.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/18 at 7:52 am

I do not smoke thankfully. Tried it a few times, didn’t get the appeal and haven’t had one in several years since.

I tried it myself just to be cool 30 years ago and it was just a few puffs.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/18 at 7:56 am

Speaking of smoking, My Parents used to smoke cigarettes a long time ago, thankfully My Father had stopped 30 years ago and now occasionally he has small bouts of COPD where he has to use an inhaler to breathe in and My Mother had stopped many years after I was born.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/18 at 1:27 pm

I quit back in 2007. You can read all about it here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35570.0

I must admit that I do cheat-but don't inhale. If I inhaled, I would be back to smoking a pack & a half a day. My cheating is MAYBE a half cig or a full one a week-but only when I am with others who smoke. I still enjoy it. I have never vaped.

As for smoking an "herbal" substance, guilty. It is my sleep aid-a few hits before going to sleep.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/29/18 at 1:44 pm

There were times before my brother had passed away, I would almost always see him with a cigarette(s) and an ashtray by his side.

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/18 at 1:47 pm

Two of my uncles passed away recently who were regular smokers. One was 49 and the other in his early 60s.

My paternal grandfather whom I've never met who was also a heavy smoker passed away in his early 50s. My dad was only 21/22 and one my aunts was just 4 :o

Actually one of my close childhood friends (who I haven't talked since about 2004) had his dad pass away in his late 30s, and my friend was just 7/8. It was really sad, because then he and his mom had to move out into social housing away from me. I only saw him every now and then after that, and every time I did he and his mom would cry about it.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/18 at 2:10 pm

I don't know if My uncle and aunt still smoke but sometimes when you go near them, their body odor reeks of cigarettes. 8-P

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/03/18 at 10:29 pm

Just yesterday at school I saw a senior girl driving her car holding a cigarette, which was surprising to me because I very rarely see kids my age smoke let alone on school property.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/18 at 7:38 am

Now they want to try to ban when smoking walking down the street. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/18 at 7:41 am

The air will be much fresher with that!

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/18 at 10:06 am

I always try to walk faster to get ahead of those people, so that would be welcome news for me.  :-X

Written By: ofkx on 04/04/18 at 10:08 am

Secondhand smoke is super harmful, so I don't mind at all.
https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/effects-of-secondhand-smoke

Written By: Howard on 04/04/18 at 1:47 pm

The air will be much fresher with that!

There was article about that.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/18 at 1:48 pm

I always try to walk faster to get ahead of those people, so that would be welcome news for me.  :-X

I do the very same thing, it bothers me a little bit. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/18 at 1:50 pm

There was article about that.
Where?

Written By: Howard on 04/04/18 at 2:26 pm

Where?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/21/new-york-considers-plan-ban-smoking-walking/

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/18 at 2:27 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/21/new-york-considers-plan-ban-smoking-walking/
Excellent idea, but I cannot see it working here in the UK.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 04/05/18 at 5:28 am

I don't see anyone smoking anymore, the only time when I saw a lot of people smoking recently was when I visited Australia.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/18 at 5:39 am

Excellent idea, but I cannot see it working here in the UK.

It could work here In The New York area but I think most people will not give a crap about it!

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/08/18 at 4:31 am

Same. Never got the appeal of it. Plus it doesn't smell nice.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/18 at 7:24 am

especially for those who do smoke. 8-P

Written By: John Titor on 04/25/18 at 1:07 am

especially for those who do smoke. 8-P

never smoked in my life

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/18 at 2:07 am

The foul smell clings onto the clothing too!

Written By: Howard on 04/25/18 at 3:23 pm

The foul smell clings onto the clothing too!

and your breath stinks too. :o 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/18 at 3:25 pm

and your breath stinks too. :o 8-P
The breath smells, not mine, and in the way you said 'your'.

Check for new replies or respond here...