inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is trap music at a peak or has it not peaked yet!!

Written By: kingofthetemple on 04/08/18 at 3:50 pm

Just wondering because it seems like trap rap music lasted longer than snap rap and crunk mainstream wise and I didn't think trap would still be going like it is now and the fact that there is no other hip hop style to go with it .So I was wondering if trap music is at a peak point or just getting started :)Thanks for answering

Subject: Re: Is trap music at a peak or has it not peaked yet!!

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/08/18 at 4:11 pm

No one will know until it's over.

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/18 at 4:12 pm

I think rap will be the biggest genre of the 2020s.

Written By: Milk on 04/08/18 at 4:13 pm

who knows at this point

Written By: unicornic on 04/08/18 at 4:31 pm

In my opinion, trap hasn’t stopped yet. 2018 looks like it’s going to be another trap year and probably the last. By 2019, maybe people will get sick and tired of this music genre and will want something new

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/08/18 at 5:00 pm

In my opinion, trap hasn’t stopped yet. 2018 looks like it’s going to be another trap year and probably the last. By 2019, maybe people will get sick and tired of this music genre and will want something new

I think Black Panther was PEAK TRAP.

Written By: Dundee on 04/08/18 at 5:17 pm

I actually think 2019 will probably be the peak year and progressively die out in the early 2020s when the genre will be well past its novelty. A bit like what happened to Glam Metal in the 80s-90s ;D

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/08/18 at 8:20 pm

Trap music has been becoming more like a modern-day disco to me 8), but that's because I used to listen to way too many trap songs from 2011-2017. ;D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/08/18 at 8:34 pm

I think rap will be the biggest genre of the 2020s.
I think we already hit that mark. It's already the most significant genre aside from EDM.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/08/18 at 9:19 pm

Depends on how you define trap music, some hip-hop heads go all the way back to 2003 with TI's Trap Muzik album as the birth of Trap Muzik. The modern-day trap music wave didn't start till around 2013 with Chief Keef whereas before it was The Young Money/Autotune era.  Mumble rap didn't really get big until 2015 when Fetty Wapp was at his peak and from there you saw a whole slew of rappers mumbling.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/08/18 at 10:07 pm

Depends on how you define trap music, some hip-hop heads go all the way back to 2003 with TI's Trap Muzik album as the birth of Trap Muzik. The modern-day trap music wave didn't start till around 2013 with Chief Keef whereas before it was The Young Money/Autotune era.  Mumble rap didn't really get big until 2015 when Fetty Wapp was at his peak and from there you saw a whole slew of rappers mumbling.

I believe the mumble rap era started with Young Thug in 2013. Future and Gucci Mane being the early influences of mumble rap throughout the early 10's when it wasn't mainstream yet.

Written By: chrissy2000 on 04/08/18 at 10:10 pm

I Hope Trap Music don't past 2020....That will be.... :(

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/08/18 at 10:14 pm

I believe the mumble rap era started with Young Thug in 2013. Future and Gucci Mane being the early influences of mumble rap throughout the early 10's when it wasn't mainstream yet.
Yeah true, I always considered Guuci Manie a mumble rapper because he sounds really country to me, but that could just be the fact I'm from the northeast whereas people from the south are used to hearing that thick southern accent.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/18 at 10:41 pm

Yeah true, I always considered Guuci Manie a mumble rapper because he sounds really country to me, but that could just be the fact I'm from the northeast whereas people from the south are used to hearing that thick southern accent.

mqg96 is from Georgia. Gucci Mane was born in Alabama but grew up in Georgia.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/08/18 at 10:43 pm

Trap music is showing no signs of dying down.

We might be stuck with trap music for a good while.

However, I don't really see the problem because this is not the 1960s where the only music you could listen to was what was on the radio.

We have at our fingertips the opportunity to access almost all recorded music in human history. You DON'T have to listen to trap music.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/08/18 at 10:54 pm

It is crazy how big it still is despite it being around for a long time. I hip-hop is going to get more diverse as time moves on. You have the mumble rappers on one end and on the other end, you got your more lyrical conscious rappers like Kendrick, Joey Bada$$, Logic, etc. Hip-Hop may be the dominant genre you still have kids (at least in my area) who prefer Rock music.

Written By: ofkx on 04/09/18 at 8:12 am

Mainstream trap started around 2015 so it would make sense for it to peak sometime this year or the next year. I'm not sure if it actually peaked though.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/18 at 12:48 pm

I think the new era of trap such as Cardi B, Post Malone, and Migos just started in 2017 and is yet to hit its peak, unfortunately. I actually prefer the mid 10's rappers, like Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Future, J Cole, etc. I'll even take Fetty Wap over the ones right now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 12:51 pm

I think the new era of trap such as Cardi B, Post Malone, and Migos just started in 2017 and is yet to hit its peak, unfortunately. I actually prefer the mid 10's rappers, like Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Future, J Cole, etc. I'll even take Fetty Wap over the ones right now.

Well, here you go ;D:

02fRdleMSaA

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/09/18 at 1:00 pm

Well, here you go ;D:

02fRdleMSaA

This video makes me wanna expand the prison industrial complex by 10x.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 1:05 pm

This video makes me wanna expand the prison industrial complex by 10x.

#DEAD.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/18 at 1:23 pm

Mid 10s? ???. Those rappers have actually been popular throughout the entire decade. Besides that, I'll take them too over the trappers.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/18 at 3:02 pm

Mid 10s? ???. Those rappers have actually been popular throughout the entire decade. Besides that, I'll take them too over the trappers.

Yeah, but they peaked around 2013-2016, along with Drake and The Weekend.

Written By: Dundee on 04/09/18 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, but they peaked around 2013-2016, along with Drake and The Weekend.
Drake definitely did not peak back then, every single he puts out these days becomes an instant hit

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/09/18 at 3:24 pm

Drake definitely did not peak back then, every single he puts out these days becomes an instant hit

Yeah, I stand corrected on Drake. His peak and momentum has spanned the entire decade. He just released a new single, and his album/"mix tape" last year was big. His 2011 album was popular too, especially the "Take Care" song with Rihanna.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 3:36 pm

Most rappers that become popular are only popular for 2-5 years.

However, Drake has been popular for 9 years and he's showing no signs of stopping. That's insane.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/09/18 at 3:58 pm

Drake is the quintessential 2010s rapper, he's been big since mid 2009 with Best I ever had and never'd looked back since.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 4:02 pm

Drake is the quintessential 2010s rapper, he's been big since mid 2009 with Best I ever had and never'd looked back since.

Yep, exactly.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/09/18 at 4:02 pm

However, Drake has been popular for 9 years and he's showing no signs of stopping. That's insane.

God's Plan is his most unmemorable song I've seen in the Top 10. He's putting his chips in with modern trap and I think that ship is destined to sink pretty soon. I actually like Drake but I think his time is coming to an end soon. It's just a feeling.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 4:05 pm

God's Plan is his most unmemorable song I've seen in the Top 10. He's putting his chips in with modern trap and I think that ship is destined to sink pretty soon. I actually like Drake but I think his time is coming to an end soon. It's just a feeling.

Well, that's just how you personally feel (both about God's Plan and your prediction of his decline).

Drake is very calculated and he's not declining anytime soon. Also, Drake just released "Nice For What" which is basically a female empowerment song and the song & video is ALREADY blowing up.

DRAKE. IS. NOT. GOING. ANYWHERE.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/09/18 at 4:15 pm

Well, that's just how you personally feel (both about God's Plan and your prediction of his decline).

Drake is very calculated and he's not declining anytime soon. Also, Drake just released "Nice For What" which is basically a female empowerment song and the song & video is ALREADY blowing up.

DRAKE. IS. NOT. GOING. ANYWHERE.

Can't wait to throw it in your face during Drake's inevitable decline.  8)

Written By: mqg96 on 04/09/18 at 4:18 pm

LOL, you have to be joking. Drake has been mainstream popular with ongoing hit songs and albums since 2009. This is simple 2+3 for those who aren't into modern music.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 4:20 pm

Can't wait to throw it in your face during Drake's inevitable decline.  8)

Well, of course he will decline.

He's not going to stay in the mix forever but he's not going anywhere SOON, which is what you're saying will happen.

You won't and can't throw anything in my face http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/6/919c0a8edaa80332f075830a37b31596.png?t=1490325770

Written By: mqg96 on 04/09/18 at 4:29 pm

Drake and I go back to the 8th grade. I've always been addicted to his catchy music so the nostalgia blind folks can keep on hating. Since I'm typing on my phone I can't do much at the moment, but for those who just called Drake a "trap artist" are so misinformed. Drake is an outlier. He's mixes up so much styles of hip hop, trap, electro music, and he has a rare talent of a GREAT rapping flow and GREAT singing voice. He's one of the GOAT artists of our modern era as we speak. Years later Drake will be recognized on the level of Jay-Z, Dr Dre, Tupac, and Snoop Dogg.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 4:34 pm

Drake and I go back to the 8th grade. I've always been addicted to his catchy music so the nostalgia blind folks can keep on hating. Since I'm typing on my phone I can't do much at the moment, but for those who just called Drake a "trap artist" are so misinformed. Drake is an outlier. He's mixes up so much styles of hip hop, trap, electro music, and he has a rare talent of a GREAT rapping flow and GREAT singing voice. He's one of the GOAT artists of our modern era as we speak. Years later Drake will be recognized on the level of Jay-Z, Dr Dre, Tupac, and Snoop Dogg.

I agree.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/09/18 at 4:44 pm

I agree.

and from your previous comment I'm sure you were talking about his latest hit right here.

U9BwWKXjVaI

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/09/18 at 4:56 pm

That's why your my dude, lol because we both witness Drake's rise to popularity in 8th grade.  He dropped Best I ever had in May of 2009, and that song was popular all throughout 2009 plus he got featured in songs like Lil Wayne every girl, Trey Songz successful, Mary J Blidge The One and he had a hot mixtape, so by the time his first album dropped in early 2010 he was already a superstar.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/09/18 at 4:59 pm

Well, of course he will decline.

He's not going to stay in the mix forever but he's not going anywhere SOON, which is what you're saying will happen.

You won't and can't throw anything in my face http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/6/919c0a8edaa80332f075830a37b31596.png?t=1490325770

Soon for me is 2021.

And the only thing good about his new song is Big Freedia.

And things are being thrown in your face right now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 5:00 pm

Soon for me is 2021.

And the only thing good about his new song is Big Freedia.

And things are being thrown in your face right now.

This entire post makes no sense http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/gucci3.png.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 5:01 pm

and from your previous comment I'm sure you were talking about his latest hit right here.

U9BwWKXjVaI

Yes.

Written By: 2001 on 04/09/18 at 5:02 pm

U9BwWKXjVaI

This song gives meaning to the word LIT 🔥🔥

And Slim's trying to say songs don't have meaning anymore. Drake gives meaning to our LIVES 😭

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 5:04 pm

This song gives meaning to the word LIT 🔥🔥

And Slim's trying to say songs don't have meaning anymore. Drake gives meaning to our LIVES 😭

FACTS!

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/09/18 at 5:21 pm

This entire post makes no sense http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/gucci3.png.

Take your ADHD meds.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/09/18 at 5:35 pm

Drake is the best hip-hop artist of the 2010's IMO. He makes the best songs. His new song "Nice For What" is fire.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/09/18 at 6:01 pm

LOL, you have to be joking. Drake has been mainstream popular with ongoing hit songs and albums since 2009. This is simple 2+3 for those who aren't into modern music.
I think you replied to the wrong post. You would be agreeing with Shruggie as he said the same thing.

That's why your my dude, lol because we both witness Drake's rise to popularity in 8th grade.  He dropped Best I ever had in May of 2009, and that song was popular all throughout 2009 plus he got featured in songs like Lil Wayne every girl, Trey Songz successful, Mary J Blidge The One and he had a hot mixtape, so by the time his first album dropped in early 2010 he was already a superstar.
Don't forget Forever. That song was everywhere too in 2009.

Written By: Dundee on 04/09/18 at 6:23 pm

What are you even babbling about. What does it have to do with my message

Written By: mqg96 on 04/09/18 at 6:30 pm

What are you even babbling about. What does it have to do with my message

What did you mean by back then? I only saw you respond to 2013-2016. Maybe I misunderstood you my bad. Oh, I'm making this comment while I'm in Physics class and someone's trap music just went off. The whole class died laughing LMAO.

Written By: Dundee on 04/09/18 at 7:08 pm

What did you mean by back then? I only saw you respond to 2013-2016. Maybe I misunderstood you my bad. Oh, I'm making this comment while I'm in Physics class and someone's trap music just went off. The whole class died laughing LMAO.
Well he did not peak back then, he was definitely succesful but not compared to today where he tops the charts in several countries for several weeks.
This is simple 2+3 for those who aren't into charts.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/09/18 at 7:13 pm

Well he did not peak back then, he was definitely succesful but not compared to today where he tops the charts in several countries for several weeks.
This is simple 2+3 for those who aren't into charts.

So you do really believe Drake didn't peak in 2013-2016? He was already long peaking before then. Maybe you just weren't into his music. He was high on the billboard charts, and even if he wasn't, he already had mainstream hits by 2010.

Written By: 2001 on 04/09/18 at 7:19 pm

In terms of Physics, think of Drake's popularity like an oscillating wave (a spring, an electromagnetic wave, anything). It's a really long wave admittedly, with a period T measured in decades. We're passing through part of the wave where Drake's popularity has not yet hit the crest. What batfan2005 was saying we passed the crest some time in 2013-2016 (so t > T/2) and now we're on a downward descent towards the valley (Drake's popularity is diminishing), while Mr. Shruggie says we've yet to approach the crest (peak, so t < T/2). Clear? ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/09/18 at 8:33 pm

Take your ADHD meds.

I don't even know what you're trying to say.

Nevermind :-\\.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/09/18 at 8:54 pm

In terms of Physics, think of Drake's popularity like an oscillating wave (a spring, an electromagnetic wave, anything). It's a really long wave admittedly, with a period T measured in decades. We're passing through part of the wave where Drake's popularity has not yet hit the crest. What batfan2005 was saying we passed the crest some time in 2013-2016 (so t > T/2) and now we're on a downward descent towards the valley (Drake's popularity is diminishing), while Mr. Shruggie says we've yet to approach the crest (peak, so t < T/2). Clear? ;D
Lmbo ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: John Titor on 04/25/18 at 1:07 am

Lmbo ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/24/18 at 12:08 pm

In Hip-Hop (not pop fans opinion), Drake is gonna go down as someone who started off as a good rapper but steadily declined around his peak (2016-present). Only thing he really has backing him up is his sales and longevity. He's not gonna be put in the same category as 2pac, Biggie, etc who's legacy rely more on lyrical prowness. He's gonna be put in the Nelly category who's legacy is more reliant on hits and sales.

Btw I do think trap is at it's peak.

Written By: Milk on 10/24/18 at 12:29 pm

In Hip-Hop (not pop fans opinion), Drake is gonna go down as someone who started off as a good rapper but steadily declined around his peak (2016-present). Only thing he really has backing him up is his sales and longevity. He's not gonna be put in the same category as 2pac, Biggie, etc who's legacy rely more on lyrical prowness. He's gonna be put in the Nelly category who's legacy is more reliant on hits and sales.

Everyone was hating on quavos new album so I agree

Written By: bchris02 on 10/24/18 at 1:01 pm

Nelly wasn't as popular for as long though.  I think Drake is more of a Ludacris.  Ludacris had a similarly long run, maintaining hits from his debut in 2000 to around late 2012.  I would say his quality started slowly declining around the time of "Money Maker" yet his momentum and the fact that he had verses featured with so many artists kept him going.

Written By: John Titor on 10/24/18 at 1:23 pm

Nelly wasn't as popular for as long though.  I think Drake is more of a Ludacris.  Ludacris had a similarly long run, maintaining hits from his debut in 2000 to around late 2012.  I would say his quality started slowly declining around the time of "Money Maker" yet his momentum and the fact that he had verses featured with so many artists kept him going.

Luda fell off after 2006

He only got back into the spotlight because of FF & Fear Factor

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/24/18 at 1:27 pm

Luda fell off after 2006

He only got back into the spotlight because of FF & Fear Factor

He regained some popularity music wise in the early 2010s, with My Chick Bad and DJ Khaled features.

Written By: John Titor on 10/24/18 at 1:29 pm

He regained some popularity music wise in the early 2010s, with My Chick Bad and DJ Khaled features.

those werent that big hits, prob had a week or 2 on the top 10 and fall off

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/24/18 at 1:45 pm

those werent that big hits, prob had a week or 2 on the top 10 and fall off

The DJ Khaled features were huge in Hip-Hop circles. And Luda is a rapper so I think that has significance.

Written By: John Titor on 10/24/18 at 2:11 pm

The DJ Khaled features were huge in Hip-Hop circles. And Luda is a rapper so I think that has significance.

I remember how it was then DJ khaled  as a solo brand didnt really blow up until 2014 despite being in the game in the 2000s.
All people knew is some producer that screamed D J  K H A L ED before a song, he only blew up until he became a meme.
Luda fell off after 2006 and came back only a few years ago. No one was checking on LUDA in 2011 2012 2013 lol
Yes he may have done a collab with someone, but as a person he was washed.

trust me anybody on this website will tell you no one really cared that much about Luda  in the 2010s unless a new Fast Furious movie
was dropping.

Written By: mc98 on 10/24/18 at 5:39 pm

I can predict that Trap will experience a backlash in 2019 or 2020.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 10/26/18 at 9:32 pm

I remember how it was then DJ khaled  as a solo brand didnt really blow up until 2014 despite being in the game in the 2000s.
All people knew is some producer that screamed D J  K H A L ED before a song, he only blew up until he became a meme.
Luda fell off after 2006 and came back only a few years ago. No one was checking on LUDA in 2011 2012 2013 lol
Yes he may have done a collab with someone, but as a person he was washed.

trust me anybody on this website will tell you no one really cared that much about Luda  in the 2010s unless a new Fast Furious movie
was dropping.
He had big hits in 09-11 like all I do is win, fed up, all one but he became a social media influencer in 2014

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 12/30/18 at 10:39 am

It was at its peak around Early to Mid 2018, I’d say. Notorious mumble rappers like Lil Pump, 6ix9ine, 21 Savage, along with the lyrical-clear flow rappers like Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Drake, Post Malone, Logic, and Juice WRLD adding Trap elements to their songs. XXXTentacion’s death was the first sign of the Trap decline, although his songs remained popular nonetheless. Cardi B peaked when she collaborated with pop artists like Bruno Mars, Adam Levine, etc. Pop artists like Ariana Grande put some Trap elements to her songs with God Is a woman. Lo-fi continues to infiltrate Hip Hop/R&B, but Trap Nation remains popular. We are past its peak I’d say because thanks to XXXTentacion’s death, his songs from his last album faded quickly, along with 6ix9ines arrest. If you watch the most disappointing and cringy YouTube Rewind 2018, it had backlash from many people for including not only Fortnite dances and Baby Shark, but for including some mumble rap influence. Also, 6ix9ine will soon be forgotten thanks to his arrest. Mumble rap is getting even more hate with using the term ‘Mumble’ in Eminem’s Kamikaze, and ironically Pewdiepie also disliking it when he made the song ‘B**** lasagna.’ Expect Trap to die in Late 2019 or Early 2020

Written By: Dundee on 12/30/18 at 4:15 pm

So you do really believe Drake didn't peak in 2013-2016? m
And here we are at the end of 2018 when Drake owned the whole year, especially on the Billboard, broke one chart record after the other. So no he definitely didn't peak in 2013-2016 https://media1.tenor.com/images/7a264d0c4f854684d4d9842e61bf8ff3/tenor.gif?itemid=7452205

Check for new replies or respond here...