inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has anyone seen or heard of this TV movie, Zombies?

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/11/18 at 6:23 pm

Check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombies_(2018_film)

I haven't seen the full feature myself, but going by the costume design and aesthetic alone, it looks like something right out of the late 2000s, circa 2007-2008 or so. And being a musical, the obvious analogue would be High School Musical. Almost like '00s nostalgia is starting up or something...

See for yourself:

aLOhP1m-DiQ

And of course, discuss.

Subject: Re: Has anyone seen or heard of this TV movie, Zombies?

Written By: ofkx on 04/12/18 at 6:37 am

I don't see how this looks like anything from the late 2000s? Just seems like another zombie movie which is quite 2010s since everyone has been obsessed with them this decade (including me).

Subject: Re: Has anyone seen or heard of this TV movie, Zombies?

Written By: LooseBolt on 04/12/18 at 7:52 am

I don't see how this looks like anything from the late 2000s? Just seems like another zombie movie which is quite 2010s since everyone has been obsessed with them this decade (including me).

The camp of it is very 2000s. The zombies are not decomposing masses but instead brightly-colored, otherwise good-looking teens. The musical’s plot appears to be a run-of-the-mill high school popularity story, of the kind that was common especially in the latter part of the decade.

Add to that the generally lighthearted tone and the fact that it’s made by Disney and therefore has those classic Disney themes.

It’s also worth noting that while zombies are a 2010s trend, the campy atmosphere in world such as this are a holdover from the campy origins of zombie fandom itself. That is classically 2000s, as it’s derived from a nerd culture at that time characterized by pirates vs. ninjas, vampires vs. werewolves, zombies, anime, etc.

As someone who lived through it and actively participated in it, I can say it rings true.

Check for new replies or respond here...