inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Facebook still be around in 2020?

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/12/18 at 12:16 pm

Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Will Facebook still be around in 2020?

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/18 at 12:18 pm

If there was a viable alternative to it, it would be ripe for collapse right now. Seeing as there isn't a viable alternative, I think it will hang on for a while longer, but it's definitely no longer invincible.

I think it will definitely still be around and popular in 2020.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/12/18 at 12:48 pm

If there was a viable alternative to it, it would be ripe for collapse right now. Seeing as there isn't a viable alternative, I think it will hang on for a while longer, but it's definitely no longer invincible.

I think it will definitely still be around and popular in 2020.

I think even if there was a viable alternative, it wouldn't collapse per se. Not in the way Myspace did, anyway. It's been around for a decade and its a pretty important part of peoples' lives, from groups to news to keeping in touch or just sharing your thoughts. Myspace lasted what...5, 6 years? FB has been around nearly a decade now. It's a part of pop culture in a way Myspace never was. Myspace was always sort of a novelty, even at its peak, from what I remember.

It might slowly fade away if there were a viable alternative but honestly, I don't know. I think the recent FB scandal would have the effect of people being suspect of ANY new social media site.

I certainly wouldn't start a FB competitor right now even if I had the means to.

Written By: John Titor on 04/12/18 at 3:08 pm

I think even if there was a viable alternative, it wouldn't collapse per se. Not in the way Myspace did, anyway. It's been around for a decade and its a pretty important part of peoples' lives, from groups to news to keeping in touch or just sharing your thoughts. Myspace lasted what...5, 6 years? FB has been around nearly a decade now. It's a part of pop culture in a way Myspace never was. Myspace was always sort of a novelty, even at its peak, from what I remember.

It might slowly fade away if there were a viable alternative but honestly, I don't know. I think the recent FB scandal would have the effect of people being suspect of ANY new social media site.

I certainly wouldn't start a FB competitor right now even if I had the means to.

myspace was not a novelty for teens back then it was more pop culture than facebook was,  to anyone in higschool back then, you remember how important it was, EVERYONE has a myspace except anyone over 40 of course

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/18 at 4:21 pm

2020, probably so.  2025?  Not so sure.  The thing about Facebook is there really isn't anything else out there right now that fills that niche.  If anybody has thought about creating a new social media platform to compete with Facebook, now is a good time to do it.  Remember how fast MySpace fell from its peak.  In 2008, MySpace was one of the most popular websites and by 2010 it was yesterday's news.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/12/18 at 4:27 pm

myspace was not a novelty for teens back then it was more pop culture than facebook was,  to anyone in higschool back then, you remember how important it was, EVERYONE has a myspace except anyone over 40 of course

That's my point though. I was in High School from September 2005 to June of 2009. No one I know above their say, their mid 20s really took Myspace seriously. It was a thing more for kids and teens. FB on the other hand is something used from kids (I've seen kids as young as 9 or 10 acting younger to have one) to people in their 70s and 80s and everyone in between. It is a part of mainstream culture, a part of mainstream long distance communication even as much as texting or phone calls, beyond being part of pop culture.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/12/18 at 4:40 pm

That's my point though. I was in High School from September 2005 to June of 2009. No one I know above their say, their mid 20s really took Myspace seriously. It was a thing more for kids and teens. FB on the other hand is something used from kids (I've seen kids as young as 9 or 10 acting younger to have one) to people in their 70s and 80s and everyone in between. It is a part of mainstream culture, a part of mainstream long distance communication even as much as texting or phone calls, beyond being part of pop culture.

This is true today but it wasn't true back in the late '00s.  Facebook was primarily used by college students and college-aged people.  It's core demographic was a little older than MySpace but it still mostly under 25.

Written By: naf140230 on 04/12/18 at 5:01 pm

Thoughts?

Read this: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-trouble-with-leaving-facebook-is-that-we-like-facebook/

Written By: ofkx on 04/12/18 at 5:06 pm

If some other similar but better platform rises this year, the it's entirely plausible that it might not make it to 2020. Highly unlikely though.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/12/18 at 6:17 pm

How does anyone even know?  Better yet, I don't think anyone has any logical basis of an educated prediction for that. It could happen though... Discord overtook Skype in less than two years.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 04/12/18 at 6:26 pm

I think it'll for sure be around, but more popular with older generations like it is now. 

Written By: HeyJealousy on 04/12/18 at 6:58 pm

My prediction: Technically yes, but on its way out.

We’re already seeing the first signs of a Facebook backlash. Older generations may be clinging to it now, but give them several years and user membership will decline tremendously.

I predict that by 2024, Facebook will be officially no more. Defunct. But probably not sooner.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/12/18 at 6:59 pm

Unless something happens that makes Facebook shut down in the span of fewer than two years (which I strongly doubt will happen) Facebook will still very much be around in 2020.

This would've been more interesting if we were talking about 2028 since that's 10 years from now and Facebook will probably either not be around or will be pretty much almost dead.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/18 at 7:35 pm

Definitely. Even all the people hating on Facebook right now are on Facebook. Maybe it's dominance will end in the 2020s because for the foreseeable future, Facebook is boss.

Social media ain't going nowhere, kids.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/18 at 8:33 pm

I can see people slowly using it less and less. #DeleteFacebook was the first chink in the armour. Once people see less activity on their feeds it can signal a terminal decline. I was talking to a couple about friends about this a few days ago and I remember they used to use Facebook A LOT just a few years ago, but largely stopped using it. Anyway, that's only anecdotal evidence but I wouldn't be surprised to see that happening on a larger scale.

Written By: John Titor on 04/12/18 at 8:40 pm

I can see people slowly using it less and less. #DeleteFacebook was the first chink in the armour. Once people see less activity on their feeds it can signal a terminal decline. I was talking to a couple about friends about this a few days ago and I remember they used to use Facebook A LOT just a few years ago, but largely stopped using it. Anyway, that's only anecdotal evidence but I wouldn't be surprised to see that happening on a larger scale.

This, the activity on facebook is becoming less and less

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/12/18 at 9:13 pm

I think individuals use facebook less but facebook is also a place to get news and other media. I think that's what keeping a lot of us including myself coming back.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/18 at 9:21 pm

I think individuals use facebook less but facebook is also a place to get news and other media. I think that's what keeping a lot of us including myself coming back.

I mute anyone who posts political memes. Probably why my feed is looking less active. :-X There's probably some huge arguments that are missing me but I ain't missing them ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/13/18 at 7:36 am

I have a feeling that Facebook will be around for many years and well into the mid 2020's.

Check for new replies or respond here...