inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People don’t give a damn about their privacy

Written By: duenas8 on 04/14/18 at 12:46 pm

After the Cambridge Analytica allegations, The Wall Street Journal has reported that most Facebook users haven’t changed their privacy settings, even after the big controversy. "We have not seen wild changes in behavior with people saying I'm not going to share any data with Facebook anymore " Carolyn Everson, Facebook VP of global marketing solutions. She also said that the company wasn't anticipating any major revenue effects or changes to its business model.

Finally we’ll have to face the reality, that privacy is dead...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/13/facebook-users-aren-t-changing-privacy-settings/

Different media, same sheeps

Subject: Re: People don’t give a damn about their privacy

Written By: ofkx on 04/14/18 at 2:17 pm

I agree.

Written By: Dude111 on 04/14/18 at 2:25 pm

Finally we’ll have to face the reality, that privacy is dead...

Well YES if you hang around with the sheeple morons who have been conditioned to not care!!! (Because they dont care about ANYONES privacy)

Written By: rhubarbcustardcola on 04/14/18 at 7:17 pm

This was not what I had heard at all. I've read that a full 9% of Americans have deleted their facebook accounts, and I think it was something like 40% have altered privacy settings. You're taking it from Facebook's mouth, and obviously, they want to pretend this isn't a disaster for them, and it very much is.

Written By: Wobo on 04/14/18 at 8:08 pm

This was not what I had heard at all. I've read that a full 9% of Americans have deleted their facebook accounts, and I think it was something like 40% have altered privacy settings. You're taking it from Facebook's mouth, and obviously, they want to pretend this isn't a disaster for them, and it very much is.

That moment when you leak everyone's personal information
https://i.imgur.com/X7AQx9j.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 04/14/18 at 8:55 pm

What does changing your privacy settings do? Won't Facebook still have that information?

I've looked at the "Interests" section under targeted ads section, and I was shocked at how much Facebook knows about me  given how little I use it and very little information I've directly given it. Turns out they also mine other websites that you connected your Facebook account to for data (you know how some sites let you "Sign in with Facebook"). It was a huge eye opener.  :-[

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/18 at 9:05 pm

Why is any of this news to people? Facebook was never anything more than a glorified surveillance organization.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/18 at 2:10 am

Why is any of this news to people? Facebook was never anything more than a glorified surveillance organization.
Indeed it is, even employers view prospective new applicants before the job interviews.

Written By: Slim95 on 04/15/18 at 3:08 am

I have always been hyper aware of privacy since I started social media so I've always posted things that I knew I wouldn't care is someone kept track of. Being technically inclined, I am also able to get around it quite well and I have always been vigilant about it personally.

Written By: Dude111 on 04/15/18 at 5:40 am

What does changing your privacy settings do? Won't Facebook still have that information?

Yes buddy and so will everyone they tell your stuff to.... THE BEST THING TO DO IS GET OFF THAT SITE!!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/15/18 at 8:43 am

Indeed it is, even employers view prospective new applicants before the job interviews.

Facebook always made me think of George Orwell's "1984". Orwell actually got one thing wrong in that book. The whole "Big Brother is watching" thing. The book assumed "Big Brother" needed to secretly spy on people to see what they were doing, what their habits and preferences were.  Instead what happened is that nobody needed to be spied on. People simply willingly handed over information about themselves to this insidious thing called Facebook and blithely relinquished their precious privacy. For what? A few so-called "likes"?  Big Brother's job got awfully easy as a result. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people fell for it hook,line and sinker, but sometimes it still kind of amazes me that they did.

Check for new replies or respond here...