inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to commercials nowadays?

Written By: Wobo on 04/21/18 at 10:00 am

I was looking at commercial breaks from Nickelodeon in 1992 and 1994 and commercials from 2006 and they looked better than commmercials today. Nowadays commercials are just basic and boring. I think the fun of commercials just died after 2011.

v7vL1reZQro
7MORXD_L0-Q
PXmdLnG6dMc

Subject: Re: What happened to commercials nowadays?

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/18 at 10:25 am

That's good. Kids won't be wasting my money if they're unimpressed with the ads ;D

Written By: Wobo on 04/21/18 at 10:28 am

That's good. Kids won't be wasting my money if they're unimpressed with the ads ;D

Except for Iphone,Nintendo Switch,Xbox One X or PS4 commercials.  ;D

Written By: ofkx on 04/21/18 at 11:50 am

Honestly, they're just commercials. I don't think anyone cares about them.

Written By: John Titor on 04/21/18 at 12:15 pm

Most ads now looks like they are made on a computer with flat design and not so smooth transitions

Blame over use of After Effects and blender

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/18 at 12:32 pm

Here's a good ad for Chrysler minivans. It advertises their automated backing feature, playing off the classic hip hop tune, Back That Thang Up.  ;D

u1sc1_7R4tg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/21/18 at 1:30 pm

Not quite. Advertisers are hip to the fact that there is a generation now basically immune to commercials, not to mention that Millennials, for example, watch very little broadcast TV which carries the commercials. So now they come up with sneaky ways to slip embedded commercials into things. Even news broadcasts. There will occasionally be a piece on local news, for example, along the lines of "local Dunkin Donuts locations had long lines today because their new product debuted, etc, etc..."  You think that's not an embedded commercial that they are getting paid to put there? Celebrities on talk shows will casually slip something  into the conversation, "last night I was sitting around drinking a Pepsi when my phone rang..." They're getting paid to do that.

Written By: Dundee on 04/21/18 at 1:32 pm

Never cared about commercials when I was a kid, most of my toys were discovered at the mall itself anyway. They're just basically tv filler

Written By: SmartBo1 on 04/21/18 at 2:23 pm

Who would like watching commercials? Unless its an ad for a video game or something I almost never pay attention to them.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/18 at 2:41 pm

The only commercials I can remember were from back in the 1980's when they were considered family friendly such as the fast food restaurant ones like McDonalds with Ronald McDonald and Burger King with The King and most of them dealt with staying off of drugs and not drinking and driving plus you also had the sugared cereals and candies most of the times.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/18 at 4:31 pm

The only commercials I can remember were from back in the 1980's when they were considered family friendly such as the fast food restaurant ones like McDonalds with Ronald McDonald and Burger King with The King and most of them dealt with staying off of drugs and not drinking and driving plus you also had the sugared cereals and candies most of the times.

Back then they were running those "feminine hygiene" ads where the girl tells her mother "Mom, sometimes I just don't feel... fresh."  ::)

Written By: duenas8 on 04/21/18 at 5:51 pm

After the end of Toys R Us and anti fast food campaigns is not impressed that publicists don’t have idea which commercials would have success with kids, aside freemium games and consoles

Written By: Wobo on 04/21/18 at 7:42 pm

Honestly, they're just commercials. I don't think anyone cares about them.

Well that's you.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/21/18 at 8:08 pm

Well that's you.

LOL.

Written By: 2001 on 04/21/18 at 8:32 pm

Here's a good ad for Chrysler minivans. It advertises their automated backing feature, playing off the classic hip hop tune, Back That Thang Up.  ;D

u1sc1_7R4tg

I was about to say how I hate car ads the most, but this one's pretty good ;D

Not quite. Advertisers are hip to the fact that there is a generation now basically immune to commercials, not to mention that Millennials, for example, watch very little broadcast TV which carries the commercials. So now they come up with sneaky ways to slip embedded commercials into things. Even news broadcasts. There will occasionally be a piece on local news, for example, along the lines of "local Dunkin Donuts locations had long lines today because their new product debuted, etc, etc..."  You think that's not an embedded commercial that they are getting paid to put there? Celebrities on talk shows will casually slip something  into the conversation, "last night I was sitting around drinking a Pepsi when my phone rang..." They're getting paid to do that.

Yep, you're right, especially in the age of Google, ads have become a lot more intelligent. I was looking to buy a new fridge recently, naturally I searched on Google for reviews, now every website I go on displays ads for fridges :o

Written By: Dundee on 04/22/18 at 3:30 am

I was about to say how I hate car ads the most, but this one's pretty good ;D

Yep, you're right, especially in the age of Google, ads have become a lot more intelligent. I was looking to buy a new fridge recently, naturally I searched on Google for reviews, now every website I go on displays ads for fridges :o
Time to delete the cookies of your browser ;)
https://media1.giphy.com/media/L84mZKrSkc2JO/200.gif

Written By: Howard on 04/22/18 at 2:44 pm

How about those commercials for toilet paper and those stupid dumb bears and bathroom hygiene. ::)

https://www.theawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/0nY4zA5uKWs0lEhfC.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 04/22/18 at 2:56 pm

How about those commercials for toilet paper and those stupid dumb bears and bathroom hygiene. ::)

Those are not too bad. They're pretty funny actually and have a good jingle.

The ads I hate the most are car ads, especially the ones that show the car driving on mountains and off the road stuff
Bitch I'm sitting two hours a day in urban traffic. Not to be outdone, car insurance ads are also a particular kind of awful, especially since they mainly advertise how terrible the competitors are and how not terrible they are in comparison. They're all terrible!

Another one I hate are personal hygiene products and alcohol that try to sell their product by telling you you're uncool or disgusting if you don't buy their product, and the only way you'll get is if you buy it. Insulting your potential customers, what a strategy!

Oh don't get me started on the prescription medication ads when I'm watching American channels. "Wow, this formula improved the weak cuticles on my nails! My sex life has improved! WARNIG talk to your doctor about side effects which include but are not limited to Ebola, HIV etc."

Also, what's up with airline ads. They always show you images of people getting on the plane and being happy to get off and enjoying the vacation, but never footage of being on the plane, because they know it's miserable and saying otherwise is misleading advertisement.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/18 at 3:42 pm

Oh yeah. The Charmin ones with the bears that say "No skid marks.  You could wear the same undies two days in a row then turn them inside out".  ::)

Or the Cottonelle ones with the British lady who asks people about wiping their butts with those wet naps, then collects the underwear after talking them into "going commando".  8-P

If she ever approached me on the beach like that, I'd gladly give her my underwear. AFTER which she'd be offering me a few of those wet Cottonelle wipes.  ;D

Written By: duenas8 on 04/23/18 at 4:08 pm

The ads I hate the most are car ads, especially the ones that show the car driving on mountains and off the road stuff
Bitch I'm sitting two hours a day in urban traffic. Not to be outdone, car insurance ads are also a particular kind of awful, especially since they mainly advertise how terrible the competitors are and how not terrible they are in comparison. They're all terrible!

Spend more money, just to look cooler in a traffic jam. Classic.

Also I hate underwear men commercials where they put bodybuilders as models and 70% of males are not even close to look like that.
I can find more irony in a TV ad than in a South Park episode

Written By: Howard on 04/24/18 at 7:27 am

Also I hate underwear men commercials where they put bodybuilders as models and 70% of males are not even close to look like that.

and the funny thing is You never see a fat overweight male in most of the commercials except the diet ones.

Written By: ofkx on 04/24/18 at 10:18 am

Models have to be fit so that the clothes they're wearing look good for potential customers. As bad as it sounds, unattractive people don't sell.

Written By: John Titor on 04/25/18 at 1:09 am

There is this big trend of commercials having sliding transitions

Written By: Dude111 on 04/25/18 at 9:50 am

Nowadays commercials are just basic and boring. I think the fun of commercials just died after 2011.

Everything now is boring,basic and bland.... IT ALL SUCKS........

Written By: Dundee on 04/25/18 at 11:35 am

It's posts like this that are boring,basic and bland.... AND SUCK.....

Written By: Howard on 04/25/18 at 3:10 pm

commercials were more fun during the 1980's era.

Written By: That 2004 vibe on 04/25/18 at 3:10 pm

Commercials now a day sehshhhhhhhhh

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/18 at 3:11 pm

Commercials now a day sehshhhhhhhhh
Not all of them.

SpecSavers have run of excellent commercials and IKEA has a good one too.

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 3:35 pm

commercials were more fun during the 1980's era.

i agree even in the 90s,Early 2000s,rest of the 2000s and Early 2010s.

Written By: That 2004 vibe on 04/26/18 at 10:58 am

Most commercials these days have nothing to do with the product

Written By: Dude111 on 04/27/18 at 1:56 pm

Nope they are just spam and drivel.........

Written By: Howard on 04/27/18 at 2:02 pm

Nope they are just spam and drivel.........

Maybe some commercials are funny but some aren't.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/18 at 4:40 am

Most commercials these days have nothing to do with the product
That is the point of advertising, if the product is not shown, what is the point?

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 04/28/18 at 7:21 am

As long as commercials aren’t too long to waste my time, I don’t care.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/18 at 7:40 am

As long as commercials aren’t too long to waste my time, I don’t care.
I have noticed the have been two versions of the same commercial broadcasted, a short version and a longer version.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/18 at 2:35 pm

I have noticed the have been two versions of the same commercial broadcasted, a short version and a longer version.

like a part one and part two? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/18 at 8:24 am

like a part one and part two? ???
Not is parts, an extended version which as extra scenes.

Check for new replies or respond here...