inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Being an Adult in the 2020s?

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 3:40 pm

What will being an adult be like in the 2020s i'll be 18 by 2022 so i will be considered as an adult will it be easier or harder to get jobs? or Pay rent? Anyways what is your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Being an Adult in the 2020s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/18 at 3:43 pm

What will being an adult be like in the 2020s i'll be 18 by 2022 so i will be considered as an adult will it be easier or harder to get jobs? or Pay rent? Anyways what is your thoughts?
We can only wait and see, but as prospects are it will be harder, more people chasing fewer available jobs positions, and less money to pay higher rent.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/25/18 at 4:36 pm

The mods need to enforce their decadeology ban.

I'm not gonna spam this thread with Rodney Carrington's "Rhymes With Truck" like I usually do with decadeology threads, since it wouldn't be appropriate here since the OP is still a child, but I do want to see the decadeology ban enforced.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/25/18 at 4:47 pm

I'm not gonna spam this thread with Rodney Carrington's "Rhymes With Truck" like I usually do with decadeology threads, since it wouldn't be appropriate here since the OP is still a child, but I do want to see the decadeology ban enforced.

How is this thread decadeology? Decadeology is more like comparing years and making arbitrary cutoffs for when a certain decades culture ended. All this thread is asking is how will it be to be an adult in the 2020’s. It’s more of a prediction thread.

Also, I’ve watched that video you’ve spammed, yet I’m turning 16 in June. You might as well post it on here since you’ve posted it before and Wobo can easily find and watch it. Your posts aren’t private.

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 4:48 pm

What? This is not even decadeology LMAO.
And did you really have to call me a child? Is that really necessary? And i'm not even a child im a teen/kid i turn 14 in 10 days so don't use that "since the OP is a child" excuse.

Written By: Wobo on 04/25/18 at 4:52 pm

Also i've already seen your Rodney Carrington videos that you spammed so i honestly don't care if you spam it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/25/18 at 4:53 pm

Everyone calm down. I've had to deal with a lot of drama and arguments in the past 24 hours. I don't want to deal with anymore.

Let's all remember to be nice to each other. It makes the board a better place and it makes my job as moderator easier.

Thank you.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/25/18 at 5:01 pm

To answer the thread, it’s hard to say how being an adult in the 2020’s will be like. It probably won’t feel too different from now, at least the early 2020’s.

Written By: Dundee on 04/25/18 at 6:04 pm

I will be an adult in the 2020s so I guess we only have to experience

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/25/18 at 6:12 pm

Not sure about decadeology or generationology, but I think what the OP is getting at is what life might be like for the coming of age young adults in the next decade, which I think is a legit topic for discussion. Most of the Post-millenials/Gen Z (those born in 1997-2012-ish) will reach adulthood during the 2020's, and it's understandable to have some anxiety about what's the future has in store for them, especially if we go through another recession like the late 00's which was tough for Millennials reaching adulthood at the time.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/18 at 5:37 am

I will be an adult in the 2020s so I guess we only have to experience

I'll be an old man in The 2020's. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/18 at 5:38 am

I'll be an old man in The 2020's. ;D
...I feel I am already there!

Written By: unicornic on 04/26/18 at 8:41 am

Also i've already seen your Rodney Carrington videos that you spammed so i honestly don't care if you spam it.

Just ignore him. He has no idea what he’s talking about lol. You’re a really nice person. Keep it up with your awesome threads O0

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/26/18 at 8:42 am

I'll be 24 when the 20s start, so I'll spend most of my 20s in the 2020s. Gary Vaynerchuck (a well known entrepreneur) says we've been in economic prosperity since 2009 which is kinda shocking because all i heard between 2008-2012 was how bad the economy was. If we do fet another crash hopefully it won't be another 2008 crash.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/18 at 9:20 am

I'm already an adult now. I'll be 20 years old when the 2020s begin (then turn 21 later on in 2020).

I imagine it wouldn't that different from now.

Written By: That 2004 vibe on 04/26/18 at 10:56 am

I'm already an adult now. I'll be 20 years old when the 2020s begin (then turn 21 later on in 2020).

will be the same lmao just minor differences

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/26/18 at 3:45 pm

You'll be the perfect 20s young adult since you'll spend almost all of your 20s in the 2020s

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/26/18 at 3:49 pm

You'll be the perfect 20s young adult since you'll spend almost all of your 20s in the 2020s

Yep. Also, I hope that the 2020s will be a great decade.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/26/18 at 3:51 pm

Yep. Also, I hope that the 2020s will be a great decade.

I wonder how music will sound ten years from now.  ;D

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 04/26/18 at 3:58 pm

How is this decadeology  ????

Written By: d90 on 04/26/18 at 4:01 pm

I will be in my 30s for most of the 2020s.  This decade will be first full decade that there will be adults born in the 2000s.
I predict that by the late 20s people born in the 2000s could out number those born in the 1900s.
By the late 20s most people born in the 80s will be in their 40s and most people born in the 90s will be in their 30s.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/26/18 at 4:01 pm

It follows an identical premise to decadeology, regardless of whether or not it is. It's basically future-tense decadeology, like how traditional decadeology threads reflect on changes in pop culture within past decades, this one reflects on changes in a future decade, which is even more redundant, because nobody knows for sure what events or breakthroughs are going to happen then, it's best to just wait and see rather than jump to premature conclusions.

Similar topics to this have been discussed all day before on this site, both past-tense and future-tense, and it's really getting redundant.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/26/18 at 4:05 pm

It really isn't, to be honest.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/26/18 at 4:17 pm

It follows an identical premise to decadeology, regardless of whether or not it is. It's basically future-tense decadeology, like how traditional decadeology threads reflect on changes in pop culture within past decades, this one reflects on changes in a future decade, which is even more redundant, because nobody knows for sure what events or breakthroughs are going to happen then, it's best to just wait and see rather than jump to premature conclusions.

Similar topics to this have been discussed all day before on this site, both past-tense and future-tense, and it's really getting redundant.

This isn't really the type of decadeology that inthe00s bans though. The type of decadeology that inthe00s bans is the ones about comparing years, making abitrary cutoffs for when a certain decades culture ended, etc.
As long as Black Panther doesn't have a problem with this thread (which he seems to be fine with it), then I don't see any reason for this thread to be locked.

Written By: Dundee on 04/26/18 at 4:53 pm

I predict that by the late 20s people born in the 2000s could out number those born in the 1900s.
Don't think so. Birth rates are quite low these last few years. Baby Boomers will also be mostly under 70 in the 2020s which is the avarage life expectancy, and Baby Boomers + Millenials still take up a huge portion of the population.

Will probably take another decade for that to happen.

Written By: pink.panda_v3 on 04/26/18 at 5:41 pm

Don’t get decadeology and future speculation threads mixed together. As previously said, if one compares years (e.g 2000 vs 2001) it’s decadeology. This thread would fall under the umbrella of future speculation because it’s predicting the future without any factual evidence.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/26/18 at 5:48 pm

Don’t get decadeology and future speculation threads mixed together. As previously said, if one compares years (e.g 2000 vs 2001) it’s decadeology. This thread would fall under the umbrella of future speculation because it’s predicting the future without any factual evidence.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/steven-universe/images/7/73/This.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150625032354

Written By: Dundee on 04/26/18 at 5:52 pm

Yeah having a billion threads about if the classic-midpart-of-the-core-mid-2000s feel ended in mid or late June 2005 is nothing but annoying

Speculating about tha FUTTUURE on the other hand is fun :D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/26/18 at 5:53 pm

Are all those smites to SeaCaptainMan97 really necessary? I think you've all got your point across.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 04/26/18 at 6:02 pm

Statistically, people born in the 2000s are set to outnumber those born in the 1900s around 2032/3.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 04/26/18 at 6:03 pm

Same, I'll literally be 20-29 during 2020-2029 lol :D

Written By: loki 13 on 04/26/18 at 6:08 pm

Arguing whether this thread is decadeology or not is what terrifies me about future adults. How
many of you can change a tire on a bicycle let alone a car? Can you change your car's oil or air
filter? If you had to build a deck on the back of your house could you do it? I see apprentices come
into our shop and can't even operate basic hand tools, nor can they read a tape measure. Building
trades are lacking in skilled labor and the thing is, buildings still need to be built, infrastructure still
needs to be maintained but the younger generations don't seem to be interested in getting their
hands dirty. So you keep arguing decadeology and I'll keep my eye out for buildings collapsing because
there just isn't enough skilled labor to build them.

Written By: Dundee on 04/27/18 at 5:26 am

Arguing whether this thread is decadeology or not is what terrifies me about future adults. How
many of you can change a tire on a bicycle let alone a car? Can you change your car's oil or air
filter? If you had to build a deck on the back of your house could you do it? I see apprentices come
into our shop and can't even operate basic hand tools, nor can they read a tape measure. Building
trades are lacking in skilled labor and the thing is, buildings still need to be built, infrastructure still
needs to be maintained but the younger generations don't seem to be interested in getting their
hands dirty. So you keep arguing decadeology and I'll keep my eye out for buildings collapsing because
https://media1.tenor.com/images/69a52875384ab6b544d123cc876914cd/tenor.gif?itemid=5633018

Written By: Howard on 04/27/18 at 7:44 am

https://media1.tenor.com/images/69a52875384ab6b544d123cc876914cd/tenor.gif?itemid=5633018

;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/27/18 at 8:06 am

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 04/28/18 at 9:37 pm

Everyone calm down. I've had to deal with a lot of drama and arguments in the past 24 hours. I don't want to deal with anymore.

Let's all remember to be nice to each other. It makes the board a better place and it makes my job as moderator easier.

Thank you.

I log back in and miss all the fun.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 04/28/18 at 10:06 pm

I'll be 24 when the 20s start, so I'll spend most of my 20s in the 2020s. Gary Vaynerchuck (a well known entrepreneur) says we've been in economic prosperity since 2009 which is kinda shocking because all i heard between 2008-2012 was how bad the economy was. If we do fet another crash hopefully it won't be another 2008 crash.

Must only be prosperous if you were already prosperous. Old money and new old money. The economy was bad then, and it's sheesh now, still. Think about who's talking and compare it to what you see. Somebody who's wealthy talking about being prosperous, how about regular Joe who drives a bus, or somebody right out of high school or better yet in their 20s and 30s.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/29/18 at 12:42 am

You could have made an insightful thread regarding the new generation and manual labor but instead, you decided to hijack a thread and go on an obviously self-satisfied monologue. Did they teach those skills in trade school?

Written By: SmartBo1 on 04/29/18 at 10:39 pm

tldr: kids theys days can't use wood. nice contribution to the conversation.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/29/18 at 11:32 pm

tldr: kids theys days can't use wood. nice contribution to the conversation.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ
TOO LONG DIDN'T READ
TOO LONG DIDN'T READ
TOO LONG DIDN'T READ

tldr: tldr

::)

Written By: mqg96 on 04/29/18 at 11:34 pm

Don't worry, thank God I was born and raised in the SOUTH (Georgia). I learned most of these skills (not all) from my dad and my grandparents on his side  :)

Written By: mqg96 on 04/29/18 at 11:47 pm

Now honestly I think you need to calm down. In this new generation there's so much more careers open to the new generation than there were back then with this social media era we're living in and how more advanced computers and other technology have become. In fact my major is computer engineering, and the classes I've been taking this year have been very difficult, and it's only going to get more difficult from here in my major when I get deeper. Like I said before, I'm from the south and a lot of the people I grew up around had a lot of those basic (and advanced) vehicle skills like you mentioned such as changing the oil or putting antifreeze/coolant inside your car to help the radiator, so that's not true how everybody from the new generation doesn't know these skills. It depends on where you grew up and your background. That's why most of us were driving cars as soon as we turned 16 unlike New Yorkers who spend their whole lives around the city and a bunch of buildings. I'm sure those who live in the southern or suburban California have these skills too. People who want to do mechanical engineering must have these skills as well.

Written By: 90s Guy on 04/30/18 at 9:26 am

I'll be 30 in 2020

Written By: ofkx on 04/30/18 at 9:39 am

I'll turn 18 on the second day of 2020, which means I'll be an adult for all of the '20s except for a day ;D. I don't think there will be that much of a difference. It'll probably be harder than being an adult in the 2010s though since prices are going up everywhere.

Written By: Dundee on 04/30/18 at 10:29 am

I will turn 23 in 2020, meaning I already spent 5 years as an adult in the 2010s :o
And the rest of my young adulthood will be in that decade, turning 30 in the late-2020s  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/18 at 3:01 pm

I will be...um...older in 2020.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/18 at 3:06 pm

I will be...um...older in 2020.

Cat
That is what I have been thinking too for myself..

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 01/05/19 at 7:13 am

That is what I have been thinking too for myself..

Bwahahaha me too.

Anyway... the 2020s are  now eleven months away, given the sheesh-storm of '18; has anybody gained or changed any prospects of how they'll be?  I don't see anything getting better, I don't see retirement. I see five people living in efficiency apartments together working three or so jobs a piece, studying ancient chinese medicine so they don't die.  Factions of people rising up to fight against self driving cars, sex robots and drones that have gained sentience, sex robot rape cases and people storming the white house that those same anarchist sex robots are people too starting robots suffrage. Menthol cigarette riots, then the tobacco riots when cigarettes are banned completely, bootleg cigarette makers while it becomes the new marijuanna, aniversary of Trumps dragging and hanging, California will be known as the Ashlands after burning to cinders. The dreaded wall will be around Michigan instead, to trap those mutated by the waters. Russia and China will go to war with each other to see who gets us first.  There will be too many damn people, sixteen or so animals will be extinct.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/05/19 at 7:56 am

It's the decade us 90s babies start turning 30.  8)

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 10:05 am

And people born this decade teenagers

Written By: floppy on 01/05/19 at 1:39 pm

ill be 18  8) :o in 2028
cant wait  to own a house

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 1:49 pm

That's still in 9 years :P

But then again 2010 was 9 years ago...

Written By: Howard on 01/05/19 at 1:56 pm

So what happens to us Generation X'ers?

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 2:28 pm

Turning 50? ???

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/19 at 4:25 pm

Still adults.

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/05/19 at 4:42 pm

Ah, yes. I remember when I was 10 and thought everyone got married, had kids and bought a house as soon as they turned 18.

My mum was born in 1965 and turns 60 the same year I turn 30. I guess that's point Gen X officially becomes old.  :D

You'll still only be around 51 though?

My gran, if she's still alive, will be 86. The Silent Generation won't be around for much longer.  :\'(

Written By: Dundee on 01/05/19 at 6:35 pm

My gran, if she's still alive, will be 86. The Silent Generation won't be around for much longer.  :\'(

They had a good run at least :), from the 1940s to the 2020s, that's one hell of a ride  :o

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/19 at 7:40 pm

They had a good run at least :), from the 1940s to the 2020s, that's one hell of a ride  :o

That's actually sad. To defeat the Nazis only to see them come back.  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Written By: d90 on 01/05/19 at 9:41 pm

That's actually sad. To defeat the Nazis only to see them come back.  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Most of the members of the Silent Generation were kids during WW2. It was mostly the Greatest Generation who defeated them.
The youngest members of the Greatest Generation will become centenarians in the 2020s and sometime in the early or mid 2040s the last of the them will die

Written By: Howard on 01/06/19 at 2:38 pm

Turning 50? ???

I'll be 50 in just a few years.

Written By: nally on 01/06/19 at 2:39 pm

I'll be 50 in just a few years.

and I'll turn that age in 2030. :o

Written By: Howard on 01/06/19 at 2:39 pm

Ah, yes. I remember when I was 10 and thought everyone got married, had kids and bought a house as soon as they turned 18.

My mum was born in 1965 and turns 60 the same year I turn 30. I guess that's point Gen X officially becomes old.  :D

You'll still only be around 51 though?

early 50's, I suppose.

Written By: BornIn86 on 01/06/19 at 4:09 pm

I was never scared about being in my 30s. But it's my 40s that I'm cautious about. I'll turn 40 in 2026.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/19 at 5:55 pm

It'll probably be the same as in any other decade, for the most part. Economically, it could get harder  if we end up in another recession. Hopefully that won't happen. Honestly I'm not an economist, so I'm probably not the best person for making such predictions  ;D. There will probably be advances in technology (but there are advances in technology in literally EVERY decade) , but probably nothing like the exaggerated predictions that you often see on all these tech articles. Remember, people once thought we'd be in hoverboards and flying cars well before 2019. As far as being an adult in general, there are some things that get harder and some things that get easier. The harder parts are obvious, getting a job, paying bills, etc. Besides that, the thing that can make being an adult easier is that you are pretty much free to decide what you want to be, and that really can be several things. You're not bogged down by household rules, curfews, drinking laws, or compulsory education, etc. Of course you still have to follow the law but that one's pretty obvious  :P. Of course, once you're married and have kids a lot of that freedom will be gone, but as long as your single, in a way you have more freedom than you did as a kid. Anyway, a lot of people are putting off marriage nowadays, so that's not really a big deal.

Written By: JD120300 on 01/06/19 at 11:12 pm

I’m already an adult but ik that I’m going to spend nearly all my 20’s in the 20’s

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/19 at 10:51 am

It's scary for me to think the beginning of my 30s is just as far away as 2015 (or late 2014) is. :o

Written By: Dundee on 01/07/19 at 12:34 pm

It's scary for me to think the beginning of my 30s is just as far away as 2015 (or late 2014) is. :o
The 30s aren't a big deal, all you need is a hubby, a job and a house :P ;D

Written By: 2001 on 01/07/19 at 2:37 pm

The 30s aren't a big deal, all you need is a hubby, a job and a house :P ;D

1/3 so far. x_x Un jour viendra...

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/07/19 at 2:46 pm

As strange as it might seem, a part of me is looking forward to my 30s. Whenever I speak to people my mum's age (50s), they always say they would go back to their 30s if they could.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/19 at 10:46 pm

I will be in my 30s but not until well into the '20s so I still have lots of time. I'm 24 now and age 30 seems very far away for me.

Written By: THY9899 on 01/12/19 at 12:59 pm

I'll be 20~30 in 2020s so I'm an adult for the entire decade :o

Check for new replies or respond here...