inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hasbro buys Power Rangers outright

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/01/18 at 10:29 pm

http://deadline.com/2018/05/hasbro-acquires-power-rangers-haim-saban-deal-1202380227/

Ownership of the Power Rangers franchise is morphing to Hasbro -- eight years after original owner Haim Saban bought back the rights from Disney (2002-2010).

Originally, the plan (in February -- just now finding this out today) was for Hasbro to take over for Bandai, but now it appears Hasbro is teleporting the Power Rangers IP outright.

Not sure if this will be a good thing or a bad thing. Disney-era was basically Meh Morphin Life Support Rangers, and neo Saban revitalized a near-dead franchise. Disney neglected the franchise so badly that it went out on a high note with RPM in 2009, followed by a cancellation, supplanted with reruns of Mighty Morphin (albeit re-edited with comic book-style nonsense) before Saban rescued the Rangers from a fate worse than Lord Zedd or Ivan Ooze.

So many unanswered questions. Probably the only thing set in stone is that Fox will still own the two 90s movies.

Subject: Re: Hasbro buys Power Rangers outright

Written By: bchris02 on 05/01/18 at 11:06 pm

I had always wondered what was up with the MMPR reruns in 2010.  Still, it's hard to believe the show has lasted this long and that kids today still like it (or do they?)

Written By: Early2002 on 05/02/18 at 10:21 am

Jason David Frank going to get that payola from Hasbro

Written By: Early2002 on 05/02/18 at 10:23 am

http://deadline.com/2018/05/hasbro-acquires-power-rangers-haim-saban-deal-1202380227/

Ownership of the Power Rangers franchise is morphing to Hasbro -- eight years after original owner Haim Saban bought back the rights from Disney (2002-2010).

Originally, the plan (in February -- just now finding this out today) was for Hasbro to take over for Bandai, but now it appears Hasbro is teleporting the Power Rangers IP outright.

Not sure if this will be a good thing or a bad thing. Disney-era was basically Meh Morphin Life Support Rangers, and neo Saban revitalized a near-dead franchise. Disney neglected the franchise so badly that it went out on a high note with RPM in 2009, followed by a cancellation, supplanted with reruns of Mighty Morphin (albeit re-edited with comic book-style nonsense) before Saban rescued the Rangers from a fate worse than Lord Zedd or Ivan Ooze.

So many unanswered questions. Probably the only thing set in stone is that Fox will still own the two 90s movies.

Power Rangers has so many Finales that were not finales LOL

IN Space- Countdown to Destruction
Wild Force -End of Power Rangers
Jungle Fury finale
RPM finale

LMAO

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 05/02/18 at 1:36 pm

Power Rangers has so many Finales that were not finales LOL

IN Space- Countdown to Destruction
Wild Force -End of Power Rangers
Jungle Fury finale
RPM finale

LMAO

No one saw that coming in 1993.  ;D

Written By: naf140230 on 05/02/18 at 5:15 pm

Now, Hasbro needs to buy TMNT from Nickelodeon.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/18 at 6:49 pm

My time into Power Rangers was when Disney owned it from 2002-2010. I mainly watched Dino Thunder and S.P.D. on Jetix over a decade ago. A little bit of Ninja Storm on ABC Kids (when I first discovered it) but not much.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 6:55 pm

I haven't watched Power Rangers since Mystic Force/Operation Overdrive.

I feel that Power Rangers isn't even close to being as popular as it was in the 1990s & 2000s.

Kids nowadays care more about Teen Titans Go!, TMNT and online fads and toys more than the Power Rangers

Written By: Early2002 on 05/02/18 at 7:17 pm

I feel that Power Rangers isn't even close to being as popular as it was in the 1990s & 2000s.

Kids nowadays care more about Teen Titans Go!, TMNT and online fads and toys more than the Power Rangers

They were huge in MMPR and In space/ Lost Galaxy, I remember in 94 when the Green Ranger WAS the TOY lol

Believe it or not Lost Galaxy got better ratings than mmpr, it almost saved Fox Kids in 1999

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:23 pm

They were huge in MMPR and In space/ Lost Galaxy, I remember in 94 when the Green Ranger WAS the TOY lol

Believe it or not Lost Galaxy got better ratings than mmpr, it almost saved Fox Kids in 1999

Yeah, I know.

I said kids NOWADAYS.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/02/18 at 7:26 pm

Yeah, I know.

I said kids NOWADAYS.

Power Rangers will prob never be at its height again

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/02/18 at 7:46 pm

I haven't watched anything to do with PR since probably 1996. Honestly, I know it has remained "cool" to some extent since the mid 90s but from my perspective, if you admitted to liking Power Rangers after the mid 90s, you were a dork. I'm not denigrating anyone who did like it beyond that, but if you were MY age (born in 90) and still liked it in say, 2005...Not good for your rep. It was only popular among children or tweens IIRC after a certain point. Pokemon is what replaced or overtook Power Rangers in popularity.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/18 at 7:57 pm

Power Rangers will prob never be at its height again

Power Rangers peaked for its time, Pokemon peaked for its time, DC cartoons on TV peaked for its time, and so forth. Even when I watched Power Rangers it was already past its peak obviously.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:59 pm

Power Rangers peaked for its time, Pokemon peaked for its time, DC cartoons on TV peaked for its time, and so forth. Even when I watched Power Rangers it was already past its peak obviously.

Yep.

Written By: Wobo on 05/02/18 at 8:01 pm

My cousin only watches Batman GTA videos on youtube and he's 6.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:03 pm

My cousin only watches Batman GTA videos on youtube he's 6.  ;D

Batman GTA? What is that?

Written By: Wobo on 05/02/18 at 8:03 pm

Batman GTA? What is that?

Batman mod's on Grand Theft Auto.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:04 pm

Batman mod's on Grand Theft Auto.

Wow, damn. You can basically do anything in GTA V, holy sh*t.

Written By: Wobo on 05/02/18 at 8:05 pm

Wow, damn. You can basically do anything in GTA V, holy sh*t.

Lol yeah.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/18 at 8:10 pm

Yep.

I'm way more jealous that I missed out on live-action sitcoms throughout the 90's (starting with Full House, then Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, Moesha, Friends, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sister Sister, etc.)  as those were premiering new episodes week to week, just like I experienced That's So Raven and Drake & Josh throughout the 00's, and IMO those born from the 60's to early 80's were the prime age to experience that. 70's and 80's sitcoms were all - ight, great for its time of course, but not that spectacular.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:15 pm

I'm way more jealous that I missed out on live-action sitcoms throughout the 90's (starting with Full House, then Saved by the Bell, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, Moesha, Friends, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sister Sister, etc.)  as those were premiering new episodes week to week, just like I experienced That's So Raven and Drake & Josh throughout the 00's, and IMO those born from the 60's to early 80's were the prime age to experience that. 70's and 80's sitcoms were all - ight, great for its time of course, but not that spectacular.

Yo, I thought I was the only one. This is straight facts.

I agree 100%.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/02/18 at 8:21 pm

PRIME TGIF, you just had to be there, it was amazing, no sitcom block will ever even come close to how that felt like
Except maybe the WB's clone TGIF line up in the 2000s that actually stole Sabrina from them  lol

Check for new replies or respond here...