inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Current Atmosphere of 2018 at the moment ( in progress but not definite )

Written By: Early2002 on 05/08/18 at 3:05 pm

From my perspective, 2016 feels miles behind it really was the (2008) of the 2010s , The atmosphere right now feels different in a slow methodical way.
As another user pointed out about that Ariana Grande song having this "vibe to it" like it has this late 2010s/early 2020's  opposite of electropop vibe.
More laid back.

Facebook as we have seen has declined a lot due to #DeleteFacebook, but shares of their stock are still up, I know many people who have deleted their profile in the past few weeks.  In terms of pop culture things seem very 2000/2001 at this point, atleast it seems the feeling I had during that time seems to be creeping into culture,  that same sense of the new era is coming feeling. In late 2000/2001 the vibe that I got was that the 90s culture was way behind us and it's time for something new and kind of vibe.  There is a huge backlash in fashion to the mid 2010s yeezy season bland type colors, with more promonent color taking the place of pale greens, browns and beiges (think Kim Kardashian and Instagram in late 2015-2016)

In terms of TV, we have been on reboot central, Fuller House, Rosanne, yes its a short term fix to the tv solution, but it seems to be working, I am glad shows like Walking Dead have lost all cultural relevance and shows that are more campy like Stranger Things are taking its place.

It is very clear there is a different vibe in the air, it is just that is has been moving at a very slow and steady snails pace from late 2016 on that many of us did not even notice. The only thing I can really compare it to is the vibe I had in the 2000-2001 year, where the teen pop was past peak and we knew it was not going to last more than 7 months, we were ready for something new, it seems for 2018 that new ness is slowly creeping in. It has been very clear Cardi B may be the early 2020s artist for female rap, she is on everything, Talk Shows, features on Tv, billboards etc.  IT is also very clear that the late 2000s acts  (Lady Gaga, Kesha, Katy Perry) are just legacy acts now, having their shows mostly moved to Vegas (with Katy Perry now a judge on american idol)  Something like an artist Paula Abdul would do (someone who was considered as legacy act in the early 2000s)

Subject: Re: Current Atmosphere of 2018 at the moment ( in progress but not definite )

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/08/18 at 3:52 pm

But Stranger Things is also a very 2010s show. It may not fit into the super narrow-minded view of what a 2010s show is supposed to be but it's still a very 2010s show.

Subject: Re: Current Atmosphere of 2018 at the moment ( in progress but not definite )

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/18 at 3:54 pm

But Stranger Things is also a very 2010s show. It may not fit into the super narrow-minded view of what a 2010s show is supposed to be but it's still a very 2010s show.
Is "Stranger Things" good, for I hope to watch all the series, when I have finish "Homeland"?

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/08/18 at 4:05 pm

Is "Stranger Things" good, for I hope to watch all the series, when I have finish "Homeland"?

I liked it. It's a 2010s homage to ET, the Goonies. Gremlins, The Monster Squad, etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/18 at 4:07 pm

I liked it. It's a 2010s homage to ET, the Goonies. Gremlins, The Monster Squad, etc.
Sounds good, thanks!

Written By: Early2002 on 05/08/18 at 4:11 pm

it is but might be the show that shifts the tide, it kind of is

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/18 at 4:12 pm

No spoilers please!

Written By: meesa on 05/08/18 at 4:24 pm

No spoilers, but it is very good. Think, if the Goonies were written by Stephen King.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/18 at 4:25 pm

No spoilers, but it is very good. Think, if the Goonies were written by Stephen King.
O0

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/08/18 at 4:54 pm

it is but might be the show that shifts the tide, it kind of is

Mmmm, maybe in a Friends or Buffy way but not in a Dawson's Creek or Charmed kind of way. It's definitely the second half of the 10s but not exactly the early 20a.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/08/18 at 10:20 pm

From my perspective, 2016 feels miles behind it really was the (2008) of the 2010s , The atmosphere right now feels different in a slow methodical way.
As another user pointed out about that Ariana Grande song having this "vibe to it" like it has this late 2010s/early 2020's  opposite of electropop vibe.
More laid back.

Facebook as we have seen has declined a lot due to #DeleteFacebook, but shares of their stock are still up, I know many people who have deleted their profile in the past few weeks.  In terms of pop culture things seem very 2000/2001 at this point, atleast it seems the feeling I had during that time seems to be creeping into culture,  that same sense of the new era is coming feeling. In late 2000/2001 the vibe that I got was that the 90s culture was way behind us and it's time for something new and kind of vibe.  There is a huge backlash in fashion to the mid 2010s yeezy season bland type colors, with more promonent color taking the place of pale greens, browns and beiges (think Kim Kardashian and Instagram in late 2015-2016)

In terms of TV, we have been on reboot central, Fuller House, Rosanne, yes its a short term fix to the tv solution, but it seems to be working, I am glad shows like Walking Dead have lost all cultural relevance and shows that are more campy like Stranger Things are taking its place.

It is very clear there is a different vibe in the air, it is just that is has been moving at a very slow and steady snails pace from late 2016 on that many of us did not even notice. The only thing I can really compare it to is the vibe I had in the 2000-2001 year, where the teen pop was past peak and we knew it was not going to last more than 7 months, we were ready for something new, it seems for 2018 that new ness is slowly creeping in. It has been very clear Cardi B may be the early 2020s artist for female rap, she is on everything, Talk Shows, features on Tv, billboards etc.  IT is also very clear that the late 2000s acts  (Lady Gaga, Kesha, Katy Perry) are just legacy acts now, having their shows mostly moved to Vegas (with Katy Perry now a judge on american idol)  Something like an artist Paula Abdul would do (someone who was considered as legacy act in the early 2000s)

I'm sensing it too. And that says a lot because I've always been a skeptic of the whole change thing. I am really noticing a shift on the horizon that is starting now. 2018 is sort of like the 2008 of the 2010s it seems. However I do think this shift is distinct from the one in 2016. I think 2017 was a fairly consistent year. The 2018 - 2019 will be a new shift and it is looking like the next decade will start early again.

More laid back.

Yes this is the perfect way of describing it. It just sounds "different" like the opposite of a 2010s song almost. Not saying it is for sure but I think it is foreshadowing what will be popular in the '20s, more laid back style of music that closer resembles the 2000s yet still modern in a way. I think that may be the direction pop music will go.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/08/18 at 11:02 pm

I think the new Ariana Grande song still sounds like a '10s song, just slower tempo and less overproduced.  Still a little "electropoppy" if that makes sense at all but it's like the opposite of early '10s electropop.  The song is actually really growing on me.  It has a similar vibe to a lot of the songs this year.  2018 has been another '10s year in my personal life (which means it's sucked) but it's been a great year for music.

I don't think we can start talking about the '20s until the next "Lady Gaga" comes on the scene.  By that, I mean the next superstar who will usher in an entire new generation of pop music.  Right now, '10s artists still dominate even if the sound has evolved slightly.

Written By: Dundee on 05/09/18 at 4:16 am

People here are way too obsessed with that Ariana Grande song imo. It has been brought too many times, each time to demonstrate how 2018 is like super and completely different from the 2 previous years. It might be just an outlier in the present mainstream, as there were plenty of outliers throughout the decade (there was a snap song that was a big hit back in 2015, doesn't mean it was the beginning of a snap revival). It's a great song, but it's really nothing special. It's just less polished than your average pop song, and the production is a straight-up hommage to 90s UK Garage.

I dont understand how something like this would define 2020s music.

I think the new Ariana Grande song still sounds like a '10s song, just slower tempo and less overproduced.

Lol, its the opposite. It's less slow tempo than an usual '10 song.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/09/18 at 11:25 am

I'm sensing it too. And that says a lot because I've always been a skeptic of the whole change thing. I am really noticing a shift on the horizon that is starting now. 2018 is sort of like the 2008 of the 2010s it seems. However I do think this shift is distinct from the one in 2016. I think 2017 was a fairly consistent year. The 2018 - 2019 will be a new shift and it is looking like the next decade will start early again.
Yes this is the perfect way of describing it. It just sounds "different" like the opposite of a 2010s song almost. Not saying it is for sure but I think it is foreshadowing what will be popular in the '20s, more laid back style of music that closer resembles the 2000s yet still modern in a way. I think that may be the direction pop music will go.

You are right, 2016 was shift to set the tone ( The Base) and 2018 is the shift to set the culture ( Zeitgeist )
in a slow snails pace way, The classic 2010s culture (2011-mid 2016) was so stagnant it needed 2 shifts to get the ball rolling.

I know are all raving about the Ariana song, but it reminds me of something you would hear in 2000 or 2001, very slow laid back but catchy.
That feel as I have described is the same feeling I felt going to school in the 2000-2001 year, more towards the end before 9/11 hit, back in 2001 you could feel things were changing, I know its hard to describe but some people know what I mean  "that change" feeling

That feeling as I have describe happened in that year very slowly, it was gradual slow shift.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/09/18 at 11:32 am

I think the new Ariana Grande song still sounds like a '10s song, just slower tempo and less overproduced.  Still a little "electropoppy" if that makes sense at all but it's like the opposite of early '10s electropop.  The song is actually really growing on me.  It has a similar vibe to a lot of the songs this year.  2018 has been another '10s year in my personal life (which means it's sucked) but it's been a great year for music.

I don't think we can start talking about the '20s until the next "Lady Gaga" comes on the scene.  By that, I mean the next superstar who will usher in an entire new generation of pop music.  Right now, '10s artists still dominate even if the sound has evolved slightly.

Cardi B has ushered in the new era of female rap

Written By: bchris02 on 05/09/18 at 1:20 pm

Cardi B is nowhere near on the level of Lady Gaga or Britney, Christina, Beyoncé, etc. She isn’t even an Ariana Grande.  She’s the spiritual successor to Nicki Minaj.

Written By: Dundee on 05/09/18 at 1:33 pm

How. Explain

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/09/18 at 1:40 pm

Cardi B is nowhere near on the level of Lady Gaga or Britney, Christina, Beyoncé, etc. She isn’t even an Ariana Grande.  She’s the spiritual successor to Nicki Minaj.

Cardi B is just a talentless nobody to me.

Written By: ofkx on 05/09/18 at 1:45 pm

Ariana Grande's song is different, but not in a changes-the-way-music-sounds-forever kind of way. It still sounds pretty 2010s. We will never be able to know if the atmosphere changed or not until a decade from now anyways.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/18 at 2:26 pm

Cardi B is just a talentless nobody to me.

and I can't even understand what's she's singing about! ::)

Written By: kingofthetemple on 05/09/18 at 6:12 pm

How in the heck do you think cardi b ushered in the new era of female rap she is no differnet than nicki minaj! 8-P

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/18 at 10:37 pm

Ariana Grande's song is different, but not in a changes-the-way-music-sounds-forever kind of way. It still sounds pretty 2010s. We will never be able to know if the atmosphere changed or not until a decade from now anyways.

To me the song sounds like it's from a different decade. Doesn't sound 2010s at all to me. I actually think the song is very catchy, even though I never liked Ariana Grande's music. Also the song is quite laid back and upbeat at the same time, and that is rare for a 2010s pop song.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/09/18 at 11:23 pm

To me the song sounds like it's from a different decade. Doesn't sound 2010s at all to me. I actually think the song is very catchy, even though I never liked Ariana Grande's music. Also the song is quite laid back and upbeat at the same time, and that is rare for a 2010s pop song.

I wish I could say it was the start of a new decade but it really reminds me of the y2k pop era.  :\'(

Written By: Slim95 on 05/09/18 at 11:30 pm

I wish I could say it was the start of a new decade but it really reminds me of the y2k pop era.  :\'(

Yeah the video kind of reminded me of Y2K too with the buildings and stuff. It may not be the sound of the next decade but it is refreshing.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/10/18 at 11:16 am

Yeah the video kind of reminded me of Y2K too with the buildings and stuff. It may not be the sound of the next decade but it is refreshing.

You remember those y2k vibes that were lingering in 2000/2001 (even tho it was fading a bit in 2001)
Laid back and futuristic type, a lot of bumpers on mtv then had that kind of laid back interlude music

Written By: Early2002 on 05/12/18 at 1:18 pm

Thats not a bad thing

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/13/18 at 2:08 pm

Thats not a bad thing

Not exactly. People are looking for new sounds and this song is more slightly nostalgic than anything.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/13/18 at 8:10 pm

The atmosphere right now is breathing heavy late 90s/Early 2000s vibes
more so on the 2000/2001 spectrum as I have stated

I am so glad we left the mid 2010s behind, I thought they were going to be awesome when they weren't at all

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/18 at 8:56 pm

I am so glad we left the mid 2010s behind, I thought they were going to be awesome when they weren't at all

We left the mid 2010s behind all the way back in spring of 2016. At the moment, we are slowly starting to leave the late 2010s behind, and I am glad about that. I did like the mid 2010s though. The vibe in 2015 was pretty nice.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/13/18 at 9:02 pm

What if the "superstar era" is dying? I mean, I really feel like there are no more huge stars aside from the ones who solidified themselves as household names in the 2000s or early 2010s.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/18 at 9:06 pm

What if the "superstar era" is dying? I mean, I really feel like there are no more huge stars aside from the ones who solidified themselves as household names in the 2000s or early 2010s.

I predict we will see another superstar pretty soon. Periods of time without them are actually quite common. When one celebrity loses popularity, people start to lose interest until a new one comes around and there are always in-between periods where nothing new is coming out. This happened in the 1990s until the late part when Britney Spears came on the scene. And it's happening again but there will be someone new pretty soon I think. The last big mega star was Lady Gaga but she was very short-lived. And the one before her was Britney Spears.

Written By: Wobo on 05/13/18 at 9:07 pm

We left the mid 2010s behind all the way back in spring of 2016. At the moment, we are slowly starting to leave the late 2010s behind, and I am glad about that. I did like the mid 2010s though. The vibe in 2015 was pretty nice.

So early 2020s culture? Lol

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/18 at 9:09 pm

So early 2020s culture? Lol

Yeah. Or like an in-between period. I don't know for sure but I think that's starting to happen and the next decade may start early again. We will wait until next year and see. At the moment we are still solidly in late 2010s culture though, just looking for signs of change. I think we are starting to get out of the core 2010s culture in general as well, as soon as the GoT finale happens next year we will be out.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/13/18 at 9:14 pm

I dont understand how something like this would define 2020s music.

inthe00s in a nutshell:

*one song becomes popular that sounds different from the rest of the mainstream music*

Everyone on the boards: HAVE YOU HEARD THIS SONG?!?! I THINK THIS IS A SIGN OF A CULTURAL SHIFT!!!!! :o :o

Written By: Wobo on 05/13/18 at 9:22 pm

Yeah. Or like an in-between period. I don't know for sure but I think that's starting to happen and the next decade may start early again. We will wait until next year and see. At the moment we are still solidly in late 2010s culture though, just looking for signs of change. I think we are starting to get out of the core 2010s culture in general as well, as soon as the GoT finale happens next year we will be out.

Hopefully we are already not in early '20s culture or in between because i'm gonna cry if we are. Late 2010s can't be over that fast.  :\'(

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/13/18 at 9:32 pm

It feels like people on this board are dying to see a cultural shift happen to the point where they will try way too hard to look into it, and try to pick out every little thing they think could be a sign of early 2020's culture. The truth is unless the cultural shift is big and drastic in a short period of time (which is very rare) then you're not really going to notice the cultural shift while it's happening. And even then you still might not notice it. Cultural shifts are gradual and they take time to fully develop its identity. When we enter the 2020's, we will finally get a clear picture of which years were transitional, but for right now we need to wait and see.

Written By: ofkx on 05/13/18 at 9:49 pm

It feels like people on this board are dying to see a cultural shift happen to the point where they will try way too hard to look into it, and try to pick out every little thing they think could be a sign of early 2020's culture. The truth is unless the cultural shift is big and drastic in a short period of time (which is very rare) then you're not really going to notice the cultural shift while it's happening. And even then you still might not notice it. Cultural shifts are gradual and they take time to fully develop its identity. When we enter the 2020's, we will finally get a clear picture of which years were transitional, but for right now we need to wait and see.

Yeah. There might not even be a shift for a few years.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/18 at 10:24 pm

The most noticeable shift I recall was the shift from the 70s to the 80s. The cultural 80s began precisely in 1981 and it was drastic. Of course, it had been coming on for a while like any shift, but suddenly it was everywhere...the clothes were different,the music was different, the attitude was very different. I felt like a space alien on my own planet. I mean, I adjusted, I didn't walk around like an anachronism or anything, but having come from the glorious 60s and 70s, the culture of the 80s wasn't my style.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/13/18 at 11:00 pm

The most noticeable shift I recall was the shift from the 70s to the 80s. The cultural 80s began precisely in 1981 and it was drastic. Of course, it had been coming on for a while like any shift, but suddenly it was everywhere...the clothes were different,the music was different, the attitude was very different. I felt like a space alien on my own planet. I mean, I adjusted, I didn't walk around like an anachronism or anything, but having come from the glorious 60s and 70s, the culture of the 80s wasn't my style.

Yeah there was a huge difference between the 70s and the 80s.

I would say the shift ca 1992 that killed the '80s and brought in the '90s was about that significant.  It's the most significant shift I can personally recall.  2009 was significant but it wasn't really that drastic in my opinion.  The '10s and '00s have been different but not that different.

Probably the biggest shift in the last century was in the mid-late 1960s. It's really remarkable that this.

-wNe_NP0voY

Is from the same decade as this.

A6M77oHD110

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/18 at 11:14 pm

I would say the shift ca 1992 that killed the '80s and brought in the '90s was about that significant.  It's the most significant shift I can personally recall.  2009 was significant but it wasn't really that drastic in my opinion.  The '10s and '00s have been different but not that different.

The biggest shifts I can recall were 1998 and 2008 (can hardly remember 1998 being only 3, but I know that's the first time my family got the internet as well as our first home computer and it was a big change). 2008 was a huge change I remember and we've never seen a bigger change since then. I do agree the changes in previous decades were probably even bigger.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/18 at 11:17 pm

Probably the biggest shift in the last century was in the mid-late 1960s. 

The giant shift was from pre-JFK assassination (early 1960s) to  post JFK assassination and Beatles (mid 60s). The late 60s wasn't a shift so much as a maturation of the mid 60s. Of course, this is simplifying a bit, but that's the basic timeline.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/18 at 11:20 pm

Yeah the 1960s shift was giant. That was technically the decade when the internet was invented, along with so many other advancements and inventions. That was the decade that brought social change as well. The change that decade was definitely significant.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/13/18 at 11:32 pm

The giant shift was from pre-JFK assassination (early 1960s) to  post JFK assassination and Beatles (mid 60s). The late 60s wasn't a shift so much as a maturation of the mid 60s. Of course, this is simplifying a bit, but that's the basic timeline.

Yeah that makes sense. The foundations for the late '60s were laid in the middle of the decade.  The Beatles were a huge part of that.  However, even early Beatles were quite different from late Beatles.

ntYJ98B8kfk

7I118vDBRRk

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/18 at 11:47 pm

Ye However, even early Beatles were quite different from late Beatles.

Looking back on it now, it really wasn't that much of a space of time between, say, early Beatles and late Beatles. Maybe 3-4 years,  but there was incredible change and growth constantly going on from one record to the next. This is how things were then. Artists were constantly changing and there was incredible GROWTH in what now seems like a relatively short space of time (although it seemed longer then).  This is a good example of what I mean by the late 60s being a maturation of the mid 60s. Things were far more serious (in both good and bad ways) by the late 60s. Audiences made up almost exclusively of young teenage girls screaming and screeching while the Rolling Stones playing a 20 minute set on their mid- 60s tours evolved into a mixed gender audience of serious young adults intently listening to an hour and a half set during the Stones' 1969 tour.  (I use the Stones as an example because the Beatles had famously stopped touring by then).

Written By: kingofthetemple on 05/14/18 at 7:10 pm

If there isnt a cultural shift in the 2018-2019 season then there probably won't be a shift until 2021 :)

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/14/18 at 7:48 pm

If there isnt a cultural shift in the 2018-2019 season then there probably won't be a shift until 2021 :)

This is America is the first overtly political song to hit number 1 since....? Post Malone is lasting longer and higher than I expected. Other 2010s artists are switching up their sounds a little. Jockish, street clothes are becoming more popular. So is dressing down again. A new Mac DeMarco/Toro y Moi subculture seems to be emerging with acts like Phum Viphurit. I think a cultural shift is happening now.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/14/18 at 8:04 pm

There was a shift this school year (2017-2018), especially with the Parkland shooting and the aftermath.

Gen Z seems to be a more prominent thing in this school year than the previous ones as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...