inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remembered these at McDonald's?

Written By: Star Struck on 05/10/18 at 2:25 am

My friend sent me a picture of this when he went to McDonald's. If the picture doesn't come up, it's supposed to show an old Gamecube kiosk. Did anyone had one of these at their local McDonald's? Come to think of it, I remembered my local McDonald's had one of these set up when I was a kid. They also had an N64 and Playstation kiosk. These were so much fun! I used to play one of these while me and my mom waited for our order :)

https://i.imgur.com/oCTyGiq.jpg

Subject: Anyone remembered these at McDonald's?

Written By: Dude111 on 05/10/18 at 5:22 am

Hmmmm none of the ones I ever went to had those.......

Subject: Re: Anyone remembered these at McDonald's?

Written By: Howard on 05/10/18 at 5:24 am

My friend sent me a picture of this when he went to McDonald's. If the picture doesn't come up, it's supposed to show an old Gamecube kiosk. Did anyone had one of these at their local McDonald's? Come to think of it, I remembered my local McDonald's had one of these set up when I was a kid. They also had an N64 and Playstation kiosk. These were so much fun! I used to play one of these while me and my mom waited for our order :)

I don't think I've seen them at any McDonalds. ???

Written By: annimal on 05/10/18 at 10:58 am

I have, but they were at places where I've been traveling, not at any restaurants by our house

Written By: mqg96 on 05/10/18 at 11:33 am

It was either Mario Kart or bust for me back then. They had those at many Hilton hotels too throughout the 2000's.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/10/18 at 12:34 pm

Nope. It seems like that was in the early 2000s and I was only a toddler then.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/10/18 at 12:34 pm

YASSS!!! I loved these when I was a kid :D. They definitely made McDonalds, along with their iconic PlayHouses, epic as a kid. I remember the particular McDonalds I went to had F-Zero GX and Super Smash Bros Melee on their Kiosks. Earlier in the 2000s they also had N64 kiosks like these:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/b7/48/9eb748d41ded7bdc4430cae1265606be.jpg

Overall, McDonalds in the 1980s, 1990s, & 2000s was an amazing time. Through the advertisements and marketing that they crafted and brought to the masses, they made McDonalds a magical place to visit. Not sure that played out in the long run though with the obvious elephant in the room childhood obesity...., but regardless it does make me miss the good ole days.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/10/18 at 12:42 pm

They had Gamecubes too, not just the N64.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/10/18 at 1:04 pm

Yeah, I remember playing it once maybe around 2006. It was one of those Tak games (like Tak and the Power of Juju) and it was on a GameCube kiosk.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/10/18 at 2:36 pm

They had Gamecubes too, not just the N64.

I think they also had a PS1 kiosk. At least in my area they did. The one game I remembered playing was Super Monkey Ball on the Gamecube kiosk and Pokemon Snap on the N64 kiosk.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/10/18 at 2:41 pm

Really? They were around until 2006 or 2007, or so I thought. The last time I set foot in McDonald's was around 2006/7.

Edit: I might have exegerrated a bit. The last time I could remember eating inside McDonald's was 2010 or 2011.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/10/18 at 2:52 pm

Really? They were around until 2006 or 2007, or so I thought. The last time I set foot in McDonald's was around 2006/7.

Edit: I might have exegerrated a bit. The last time I could remember eating inside McDonald's was 2010 or 2011.

Lol, the interior and exterior of McDonalds restaurants have changed drastically in the last 10 years. This is what a modern McDonalds lookd like now, both from the outside and inside:

http://youarecurrent.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/COM-McDonalds.jpg

https://josephgonzales.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/kiosks-at-McDonalds.jpg

Many McDonalds now have kiosk ordering systems, which while are convenient, lead to less workers being physically present to take orders. The McDonald's by me, in particular, only has ONE cashier at the restaurant most times of the day, as most people just opt to use the kiosks. It kind of shows how much the company has changed through the modern times let alone the ethics that have devolved over the years, in which how the company has become more and more greedy by focusing more on their bottom line instead of the well being of its workforce and customer base, but I digress..

But yeah, in recent years McDonald's has thus removed many of the PlayPlaces at their establishments to make way for these renovations. It sucks but thats just the way things have changed.

Written By: Wobo on 05/10/18 at 2:57 pm

Lol, the interior and exterior of McDonalds restaurants have changed drastically in the last 10 years. This is what a modern McDonalds lookd like now, both from the outside and inside:

Many McDonalds now have kiosk ordering systems, which while are convenient, lead to less workers being physically present to take orders. The McDonald's by me, in particular, only has ONE cashier at the restaurant most times of the day, as most people just opt to use the kiosks. It kind of shows how much the company has changed through the modern times let alone the ethics that have devolved over the years, in which how the company has become more and more greedy by focusing more on their bottom line instead of the well being of its workforce and customer base, but I digress..

But yeah, in recent years McDonald's has thus removed many of the PlayPlaces at their establishments to make way for these renovations. It sucks but thats just the way things have changed.

Damn this makes mcdonalds look boring now.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/10/18 at 3:18 pm

Never seen kiosks at any McDonald's I've been too.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/10/18 at 3:36 pm

Never seen that before in my entire life.

Written By: annimal on 05/10/18 at 4:04 pm

not anywhere near us

Written By: Star Struck on 05/10/18 at 4:25 pm

Ooh, that does look more convenient. It does suck they had to remove the playhouse or playplace to make room for those. Regardless of not setting foot inside McDonald's in almost 7-8 years, I do drive by occasionally and usually go through the drive thru. I have noticed the exterior look has changed over years.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/10/18 at 5:01 pm

I remember the N64 kiosks at McDonalds, back when I was about 3-5 years old. It was always Mario Kart 64 that was fired up inside the kiosk.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/10/18 at 5:26 pm

I remember the N64 kiosks at McDonalds, back when I was about 3-5 years old. It was always Mario Kart 64 that was fired up inside the kiosk.

Haha same. I remember the one by me having Mario Kart 64 and the OG Smash Bros. They also apparently had PS1 kiosks back in the day, but I don’t remember any of  the establishments by me having those.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/10/18 at 7:20 pm

Haha same. I remember the one by me having Mario Kart 64 and the OG Smash Bros. They also apparently had PS1 kiosks back in the day, but I don’t remember any of  the establishments by me having those.

They had PS1 kiosks where I live. Not many of them thougg. It was always CTR whenever McDonald's turned them on. It was a really fun game in my opinion :)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/10/18 at 7:49 pm

They had PS1 kiosks where I live. Not many of them thougg. It was always CTR whenever McDonald's turned them on. It was a really fun game in my opinion :)

Damn, that sounds tough though! I did have CTR on my PS1 though, so I’d always just play with my sister on that at home.

Btw if you get the chance, you should check out this video:

34SvMv6P-to

It’s a history of the McDonaldland ad campaign in the 80’s, 90’s, & early 00’s. I’m sure you remember Ronald McDonald, Grimace, Birdie, Mayor McCheese, & most of all (and arguably most creepy) The Hamburglar.

Ironically, the decline of PlayPlaces, video game kiosks, the McDonaldland advertisements, and other things oriented towards it near 20 year golden age came to an end around the mid 2000s due to the controversy of the documentary Super Size Me (I watched that documentary 3 times in middle school and high school ;D) in 2004. This, along with the growing political correctness surrounding McDonalds (especially rising obesity rates) and McDonalds’ efforts to rebrand itself into a modern fast food establishment since the late 2000s, especially as a way to grasp Millennials (who were ironically the children that grew up during the McDonaldland era of advertising as kids). Overall, it’s a pretty interesting analysis.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/10/18 at 8:44 pm

No.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/18 at 8:05 am

I've seen the kiosks and I think it's making fast food ordering simpler now.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/11/18 at 11:15 am

I've seen the kiosks and I think it's making fast food ordering simpler now.

It does make things more convenient. I'm just worried that putting these self-ordering kiosks will eliminate the need for cashiers. A few years ago, I used to work at Frys and Sprouts, and a lot of the cashiers I talked to say they built these self checkout lanes to eliminate the need for cashiers and were worried about being out of the job.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/11/18 at 11:24 am

Damn, that sounds tough though! I did have CTR on my PS1 though, so I’d always just play with my sister on that at home.

Btw if you get the chance, you should check out this video:

34SvMv6P-to

It’s a history of the McDonaldland ad campaign in the 80’s, 90’s, & early 00’s. I’m sure you remember Ronald McDonald, Grimace, Birdie, Mayor McCheese, & most of all (and arguably most creepy) The Hamburglar.

Ironically, the decline of PlayPlaces, video game kiosks, the McDonaldland advertisements, and other things oriented towards it near 20 year golden age came to an end around the mid 2000s due to the controversy of the documentary Super Size Me (I watched that documentary 3 times in middle school and high school ;D) in 2004. This, along with the growing political correctness surrounding McDonalds (especially rising obesity rates) and McDonalds’ efforts to rebrand itself into a modern fast food establishment since the late 2000s, especially as a way to grasp Millennials (who were ironically the children that grew up during the McDonaldland era of advertising as kids). Overall, it’s a pretty interesting analysis.

I remembered that Super Size Me movie! We used to watch it lot when I was in junior high.  After watching the movie, I thought people wouldn't eat at McDonald's because of that whole controversy thing about the rise in obesity. Jeez, I remembered when eating out was something special. Nowadays, people eat out everyday lol I wonder if McDonald's put healthy meat in their products like they advertised though? I heard stories about McDonald's making their foods healthier and using white meat for their chicken nuggets. Not sure if they were true though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/18 at 11:35 am

I have seen similar devices in KFC

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/18 at 12:54 pm

I have seen similar devices in KFC

Funnily enough I haven't gone to KFC in years. I think the last time was 2015ish...

Thats another example of a fast food restaurant that has declined over the years. However, unlike McDonalds where the major grievances I have with them are mainly their piss poor marketing, KFC's quality in almost everything (marketing, cleanliness, friendliness, and overall food quality) is a shadow of its former self. KFC was the first place people thought of for fried chicken in the early 2000s, but now it seems that Popeyes has taken that crown.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/11/18 at 12:56 pm

I remembered that Super Size Me movie! We used to watch it lot when I was in junior high.  After watching the movie, I thought people wouldn't eat at McDonald's because of that whole controversy thing about the rise in obesity. Jeez, I remembered when eating out was something special. Nowadays, people eat out everyday lol I wonder if McDonald's put healthy meat in their products like they advertised though? I heard stories about McDonald's making their foods healthier and using white meat for their chicken nuggets. Not sure if they were true though.

McDonalds claims that they've gone in a more healthy route, but I wouldn't fully trust them. Perhaps they have more oversight now, but overall the prudential issues people have with McDs (fried food, high amounts of sugar/artificial products & chemicals, etc.) I think are still present, and won't be going away any time soon.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/18 at 3:37 pm

It does make things more convenient. I'm just worried that putting these self-ordering kiosks will eliminate the need for cashiers. A few years ago, I used to work at Frys and Sprouts, and a lot of the cashiers I talked to say they built these self checkout lanes to eliminate the need for cashiers and were worried about being out of the job.

It's the same goes for local supermarkets too, more kiosks, less cashiers, I guess.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 05/16/18 at 4:08 pm

I remember in the late 90's/early 2000's in my local McDonalds there was a small TV that all the kids used to watch but they got rid of it in about 2002. Never knew McDonalds used to have gaming though but my local one probably never did. My local one today doesn't even have ordering systems although another one about a half hour drive away from my town does.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/16/18 at 4:20 pm

Funnily enough I haven't gone to KFC in years. I think the last time was 2015ish...

Thats another example of a fast food restaurant that has declined over the years. However, unlike McDonalds where the major grievances I have with them are mainly their piss poor marketing, KFC's quality in almost everything (marketing, cleanliness, friendliness, and overall food quality) is a shadow of its former self. KFC was the first place people thought of for fried chicken in the early 2000s, but now it seems that Popeyes has taken that crown.

Chick-Fil-A has sort of taken the fast food crown away from McDonalds.
Have you seen this map?

http://www.dailyrags.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Screen-Shot-2017-01-12-at-2.49.57-PM.png

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/18 at 4:22 pm

Have you seen this map?

http://www.dailyrags.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Screen-Shot-2017-01-12-at-2.49.57-PM.png
So Jollibee has rule the USA yet?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/16/18 at 6:16 pm

Have you seen this map?

Yeah this seems pretty accurate. I live in NJ, and we have just as many Wendys as we do McDonalds. McDonalds is still prominent in the Northeast/New England regions, but the rising popularity of Chic Fil A, Wendys/Burger King having more viable competition, and the rise of the organic movement has definitely cut down McDonalds profits. Not to mention McDonald's piss poor marketing in the last 5-10 years. This guy has the same mentality:

kuLxDJofAXU

McDonalds marketing now sucks, but back in the 80s & 90s it was phenomenal. Most notably the Mac Tonight Adverts in the Late 80s. And No, NOT The Highly Offensive 'Moonman' Meme...

Written By: Star Struck on 05/16/18 at 9:41 pm

Have you seen this map?

Wow, I didn't realize how popular Chick Fil A was lol Well, I live in Arizona, so there's not a whole lot of people that eat at Chick Fil A.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/18 at 5:22 am

Have you seen this map?

Why are there more Chick-Fil-a's than McDonalds? ???

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/17/18 at 3:34 pm

Wow, I didn't realize how popular Chick Fil A was lol Well, I live in Arizona, so there's not a whole lot of people that eat at Chick Fil A.

Oh, you live in Arizona, which part?
How are the summers done there?  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/17/18 at 5:09 pm

Have you seen this map?

I bet I've known Chick-Fil-A longer than everybody on this site except for machinehead. Somebody prove me wrong!  ;)

Written By: Star Struck on 05/17/18 at 5:10 pm

Oh, you live in Arizona, which part?
How are the summers done there?  ;D

I live in the Phoenix area. It's so hot over here during the summers lol It's so hot here, not even the devil itself would come here XD Not even June yet and we'er already hitting the triple digits. I'm an Arizona native though, so I'm used to it ;)

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/17/18 at 8:04 pm

I bet I've known Chick-Fil-A longer than everybody on this site except for machinehead. Somebody prove me wrong!  ;)

I think the first time I've seen Chic-Fil-A was in 2011, when one opened up about 20 minutes from me. However, it was also around the time the company started to receive slack for its subvert anti-gay bias (moreso just pro evangelistic beliefs, but still came into some conflict with the LGBTQ Community).

Written By: nally on 05/17/18 at 8:07 pm

I think the first time I've seen Chic-Fil-A was in 2011, when one opened up about 20 minutes from me.

Chic-Fil-A has been in my area since 2007. I even remember when one opened up a short distance away from where I live.

However, it was also around the time the company started to receive slack for its subvert anti-gay bias (moreso just pro evangelistic beliefs, but still came into some conflict with the LGBTQ Community).

Yeah, and since the early 10's I haven't been going there for that reason.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/17/18 at 11:33 pm

I think the first time I've seen Chic-Fil-A was in 2011, when one opened up about 20 minutes from me. However, it was also around the time the company started to receive slack for its subvert anti-gay bias (moreso just pro evangelistic beliefs, but still came into some conflict with the LGBTQ Community).

It's crazy how when I talk to people in college from all over they look at me weird, but at the same time I feel weird too when I talk about Chick-Fil-A because I've known it in my hometown my whole life. Chick-Fil-A has changed A LOT since I've become an adult. I remember when they used to not have those signature sauces at all. It was just ketchup, mayonnaise, and honey mustard. I remember when the Spicy Chicken Sandwich was brand new in 2010. Y'all should try Chick-Fil-A breakfast too from 6am-10:30am it's really good.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/17/18 at 11:50 pm

Yeah, and since the early 10's I haven't been going there for that reason.

Chick-Fil-A is from my home state Georgia (which is a predominantly Republican/conservative state without surprise). Owned by Truett and Jeanette Cathy. People to this day still complain about the restaurant closing on Sundays to honor God and his word (the Bible). Throughout the Cathy couple's time alive and their early days of Chick-Fil-A being open throughout the 50's-70's, they used to get A LOT of backlash and hate for closing the place on Sundays and people would insult their company so badly and threaten them, hoping the place would go out of business. But they kept praying and they proved the doubters wrong. Now look where their company has been for the past decades or so. Now as we all know obviously Chick-Fil-A is very Christian and is strict when it comes to worshiping Jesus.

Now for my opinion on the LGBT community, I have many friends who are lesbian or gay and I get along with them very well. However, I don't agree with the lifestyle, but it's a pet peeve of mine when LGBT people call me homophobic just because I disagree with their lifestyle. I'm not bothering you at all because you're gay. If you're gay, then that's your choice. Don't bother me because I'm heterosexual or don't agree with the lifestyle of the LGBT community. People have many different reasons for not wanting to support Chick-Fil-A (and not just that situation). I wouldn't get offended over ANYBODY making actions because of honoring God whether it's closing on Sundays like they've done for years or any other controversial situation. Now if you're a LGBT person struggling with that then I fully understand your situation, and again it's your own choice. I'm not condemning you at all. The only way I wouldn't go to Chick-Fil-A anymore is if they started having a racist attitude, for example, the recent Waffle House story with the black woman who got beat up by the police for refusing to PAY for a plastic utensil or the Starbucks situation with those men who got arrested for just waiting on somebody.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/18/18 at 5:45 am

Chick-Fil-A is from my home state Georgia (which is a predominantly Republican/conservative state without surprise). Owned by Truett and Jeanette Cathy. People to this day still complain about the restaurant closing on Sundays to honor God and his word (the Bible). Throughout the Cathy couple's time alive and their early days of Chick-Fil-A being open throughout the 50's-70's, they used to get A LOT of backlash and hate for closing the place on Sundays and people would insult their company so badly and threaten them, hoping the place would go out of business. But they kept praying and they proved the doubters wrong. Now look where their company has been for the past decades or so. Now as we all know obviously Chick-Fil-A is very Christian and is strict when it comes to worshiping Jesus.

Which I respect and generally agree with. I think all establishments should be closed on Sunday, not just for religous reasons (granted mainly), but just out of respect for employees and allowing them some well deserved in R&R. In New Jersey, many 'mom & pop' shops are closed on Sundays due to blue laws, laws in which many Jews in my area lobby to close businesses to respect the Sabbath, so no technology or other modernized things. I've grown up with it almost all my life, so I'm pretty used to seeing small businesses closed on Sundays, or at the very least closing early. Hence why I'm not against Chic-Fil-A practicing its religious freedom, I actually admire it and I wish more fast food establishments (really, corporations in general) were to follow it. Giving respect to God and the people's well being.

Now for my opinion on the LGBT community, I have many friends who are lesbian or gay and I get along with them very well. However, I don't agree with the lifestyle, but it's a pet peeve of mine when LGBT people call me homophobic just because I disagree with their lifestyle. I'm not bothering you at all because you're gay. If you're gay, then that's your choice. Don't bother me because I'm heterosexual or don't agree with the lifestyle of the LGBT community. People have many different reasons for not wanting to support Chick-Fil-A (and not just that situation). I wouldn't get offended over ANYBODY making actions because of honoring God whether it's closing on Sundays like they've done for years or any other controversial situation. Now if you're a LGBT person struggling with that then I fully understand your situation, and again it's your own choice. I'm not condemning you at all. The only way I wouldn't go to Chick-Fil-A anymore is if they started having a racist attitude, for example, the recent Waffle House story with the black woman who got beat up by the police for refusing to PAY for a plastic utensil or the Starbucks situation with those men who got arrested for just waiting on somebody.

I agree. They'd have to do something drastic for me not to eat there anymore. While I'm not naive about their converted anti gay bias, I do understand that at the end of the day its the individual establishments' discretion and decision on how they should run things. I have not heard any discriminatory like stories at a micro level from Chic-Fil-A, like I have from the racist incidents that occurred at Starbucks in Philly a month ago. That was beyond f*cked up, they weren't doing anything wrong at all >:(! The owned called the cops due to pure racism. The same could be said about the incident with a Black Yale Alumni sleeping on one of the dormitory couches and subsequently getting called on the cops because one student was "TERRIFIED.....", like wtf!? You've never seen someone (be it a student or alumnus) sleep on a couch at a university before?

At the moment, nothing of that caliber of discrimination I have personally heard has occurred pertaining to LGBTQ people at Chic-Fil-A, so it is a bit of an unfair comparison.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/18 at 11:50 pm

Now for my opinion on the LGBT community, I have many friends who are lesbian or gay and I get along with them very well. However, I don't agree with the lifestyle, but it's a pet peeve of mine when LGBT people call me homophobic just because I disagree with their lifestyle. I'm not bothering you at all because you're gay. If you're gay, then that's your choice. Don't bother me because I'm heterosexual or don't agree with the lifestyle of the LGBT community.

I hate to say it, but based on the way you try to defend yourself here, I'm not surprised you get chronically slammed as homophobic by members of the LGBT community. I don't want to scorn you for being insensitive or anything, because I know your heart is in the right place, but it's obvious to me that if you want to avoid being called anti-gay, there are still some critical things you're behind on and need to understand better.

When you say you disagree with their lifestyle, what do you even mean? Are you just turned off by flaming stereotypes, or does the idea of a man finding love and wishing to raise a family with another man or a woman wanting to share her life, hopes, dreams somehow seem reprehensible and less equal in your mind than heterosexual romances of the same nature? It very clearly sounds like you feel some level of prejudiced discomfort with the LGBTQ+ community if their humanity is somehow less deserving of your approval than other people. If you have to slide on the "I have lesbian and gay friends" excuse, then it doesn't sound like you have a very sophisticated or sympathetic understanding on all the marginalization, invisibility, cruelty, insecurity, and isolation that people from the LGBTQ+ community have suffered from throughout their lives. It's really not an issue where you can agree to disagree when you're getting defensive over being straight and looking down upon queer individuals just because they're different, even if they never harmed you in any concrete way.

If you want this "pet peeve" of yours to go away, I suggest acknowledging the stories and struggles of LGBTQ+ people, who have lived completely different lives from your own, but like straight African Americans like yourself, have also been challenged by lack of privilege in some forms. Just because there haven't been any major incidents of homophobia at Chick-Fil-A like there have been racist hate crimes doesn't mean it would be any less contemptible if somebody at Chick-Fil-A was assaulted for their sexuality. Don't you dare tell gay and lesbian people to their face that you disagree with their lifestyle in any way, because it makes your respect for them seem totally insincere, even if you mean well and want to acknowledge everyone's freedom of choice. They are quite frankly fed up with being somehow less in so many general facets of life simply for who they are, and disagreeing with their "lifestyle" only perpetuates that system lack of acceptance further, whether you realize it at the surface or not.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/19/18 at 1:23 am

I hate to say it, but based on the way you try to defend yourself here, I'm not surprised you get chronically slammed as homophobic by members of the LGBT community. I don't want to scorn you for being insensitive or anything, because I know your heart is in the right place, but it's obvious to me that if you want to avoid being called anti-gay, there are still some critical things you're behind on and need to understand better.

When you say you disagree with their lifestyle, what do you even mean? Are you just turned off by flaming stereotypes, or does the idea of a man finding love and wishing to raise a family with another man or a woman wanting to share her life, hopes, dreams somehow seem reprehensible and less equal in your mind than heterosexual romances of the same nature? It very clearly sounds like you feel some level of prejudiced discomfort with the LGBTQ+ community if their humanity is somehow less deserving of your approval than other people. If you have to slide on the "I have lesbian and gay friends" excuse, then it doesn't sound like you have a very sophisticated or sympathetic understanding on all the marginalization, invisibility, cruelty, insecurity, and isolation that people from the LGBTQ+ community have suffered from throughout their lives. It's really not an issue where you can agree to disagree when you're getting defensive over being straight and looking down upon queer individuals just because they're different, even if they never harmed you in any concrete way.

If you want this "pet peeve" of yours to go away, I suggest acknowledging the stories and struggles of LGBTQ+ people, who have lived completely different lives from your own, but like straight African Americans like yourself, have also been challenged by lack of privilege in some forms. Just because there haven't been any major incidents of homophobia at Chick-Fil-A like there have been racist hate crimes doesn't mean it would be any less contemptible if somebody at Chick-Fil-A was assaulted for their sexuality. Don't you dare tell gay and lesbian people to their face that you disagree with their lifestyle in any way, because it makes your respect for them seem totally insincere, even if you mean well and want to acknowledge everyone's freedom of choice. They are quite frankly fed up with being somehow less in so many general facets of life simply for who they are, and disagreeing with their "lifestyle" only perpetuates that system lack of acceptance further, whether you realize it at the surface or not.

I will PM you, but not tonight. Sometime tomorrow.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/19/18 at 2:14 am

I will PM you, but not tonight. Sometime tomorrow.

I'm mostly just shocked and hurt that you aren't fully accepting of the LGBTQ+ community, because for years I very much thought you were. I'm actually kind of intimidated by the thought that you need time to come up with a long PM if it means defending your views that I'm inherently less equal just because I'm not straight. I would prefer not hearing your thoughts further if you don't have anything positive to say.

I gave you my warning because yes, you are essentially homophobic if your response to accusations is to fall back on the excuse that you have gay friends and to feel victimized because people don't like that you disagree with their "lifestyle".

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/18 at 2:30 am

Around what time where these machines in McDonald's?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/19/18 at 2:39 am

I'm mostly just shocked and hurt that you aren't fully accepting of the LGBTQ+ community, because for years I very much thought you were. I'm actually kind of intimidated by the thought that you need time to come up with a long PM if it means defending your views that I'm inherently less equal just because I'm not straight.

You need to calm down. I fully accept the LGBTQ+ community as HUMAN BEINGS just like anyone else. My disagreement with the lifestyle is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. As an African American from the south, you have no idea how many white people we know and grow up with who don't agree (or only partially agree) with black culture or what the majority of blacks enjoy. No, they don't admit it right in front of us, but as black folks in America we live through it everyday and we know it through their own culture, actions and beliefs. Doesn't mean we freak out about it every second we walk in public places. It doesn't mean they are blatantly racist either because they're not discriminating at all. You don't have to FULLY ACCEPT someone's culture in order to like the person. At long as they are not committing HATEFUL actions and words that are discriminating, then we can be friends for the hobbies and activities we have in common with, that's all that matters. When it comes to LGBT people, I just care about them being a human being just like anyone else and what we DO have in common. Like if there's a gay person who's on the track team, I may not agree with his lifestyle (and he knows this), but if I enjoy him for helping us win the county cup or state, and I enjoy him for being good friends in other activities for several years, then that's all I care about. If I was homophobic (look up phobia in the dictionary - an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something) then I would be lashing out in front of homosexual people without any shame and insulting them really badly. Disagreeing with a lifestyle is not out of fear at all. I'm not afraid of LGBT at all, not even close actually. Don't tell me I have to FULLY accept something in order to be fully in line with somebody. There is a HUGE difference being disagreement and hatred. HUGE difference. We do HATEFUL things out of FEAR (PHOBIA). We don't disagree out of FEAR. We disagree out of HONEST OPINION. I would never, ever, go to a table and create a sign that says "No Blondes Allowed" or insult/beat up somebody out of fear (phobia) or hatred. This is why as a country we are falling apart because we keep overacting with our emotions first and we fail to have a huge conversation and deeply understand people's viewpoints, and yes black people, even when it comes to overreacting about what is or what's not racist too we can be completely guilty of this. Now as for the deeper stuff once again I will PM you my experiences. I fully understand what LGBT people are going through, trust me with the people I've gotten to know for the past decade or so, you'd be surprised.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/19/18 at 3:55 am

You need to calm down. I fully accept the LGBTQ+ community as HUMAN BEINGS just like anyone else. My disagreement with the lifestyle is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. As an African American from the south, you have no idea how many white people we know and grow up with who don't agree (or only partially agree) with black culture or what the majority of blacks enjoy. No, they don't admit it right in front of us, but as black folks in America we live through it everyday and we know it through their own culture, actions and beliefs. Doesn't mean we freak out about it every second we walk in public places. It doesn't mean they are blatantly racist either because they're not discriminating at all. You don't have to FULLY ACCEPT someone's culture in order to like the person. At long as they are not committing HATEFUL actions and words that are discriminating, then we can be friends for the hobbies and activities we have in common with, that's all that matters. When it comes to LGBT people, I just care about them being a human being just like anyone else and what we DO have in common. Like if there's a gay person who's on the track team, I may not agree with his lifestyle (and he knows this), but if I enjoy him for helping us win the county cup or state, and I enjoy him for being good friends in other activities for several years, then that's all I care about. If I was homophobic (look up phobia in the dictionary - an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something) then I would be lashing out in front of homosexual people without any shame and insulting them really badly. Disagreeing with a lifestyle is not out of fear at all. I'm not afraid of LGBT at all, not even close actually. Don't tell me I have to FULLY accept something in order to be fully in line with somebody. There is a HUGE difference being disagreement and hatred. HUGE difference. We do HATEFUL things out of FEAR (PHOBIA). We don't disagree out of FEAR. We disagree out of HONEST OPINION. I would never, ever, go to a table and create a sign that says "No Blondes Allowed" or insult/beat up somebody out of fear (phobia) or hatred. This is why as a country we are falling apart because we keep overacting with our emotions first and we fail to have a huge conversation and deeply understand people's viewpoints, and yes black people, even when it comes to overreacting about what is or what's not racist too we can be completely guilty of this. Now as for the deeper stuff once again I will PM you my experiences. I fully understand what LGBT people are going through, trust me with the people I've gotten to know for the past decade or so, you'd be surprised.

I know there's a distinction between hatred and disagreement, and it's really obvious you're not being hateful at all, but feeling somebody's love is inferior or not worthy of full dignity just because it's between two people of the same sex isn't simply a matter of opinion. These are personal lives you're dealing with; they cannot control their genuine feelings, so it's absolutely unfair for you to take issue with them for something inherent that isn't just a choice. It's one thing to not be generally interested in a certain genre of music or film, for example, but it's another to base your level of respect and appreciation for somebody based on their inherent identity. Even if you aren't actively preventing people from loving each other, you're still showing a very evident prejudice, against the notion that all are created equal, by personally disapproving of their identities. Regardless of whether your prejudice is small enough that you're still able to be friends with queer people, you're still expressing prejudice, and any level of discrimination is enough to hurt members of a disenfranchised minority group, even if some are willing to hide their pain.

If you just don't personally bond well or relate easily to queer people, that's totally fine; we all have different groups of individuals with whom we just naturally understand best. Nonetheless, if your personal judgment of an individual is affected by the sex they're attracted to and not purely their character and merit, then you really shouldn't be surprised if you end up offending a lot of members of the LGBTQ community. Just because some are able to look past your bias and still get along with you overall doesn't mean others aren't going to feel insulted and degraded.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/18 at 3:24 pm

most likely the early 90's? ???

Written By: Star Struck on 05/19/18 at 3:30 pm

In my area, I remembered seeing them from 1999-2006. Or something like that. They were definitely around in the late 90s and early 2000s though. It might be different for some people though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/19/18 at 4:08 pm

Ok you two, take your conversation to another thread or to a PM. This thread is about McDonald's or other fast food chains and not about LGBTQ

Cat

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/21/18 at 12:46 pm

A Compilation of McDonalds Commercials from the 1990s & early 2000s.

07S4-ueMw0A

Written By: ofkx on 05/21/18 at 12:49 pm

That looks really cool :o. The only thing the McDonald's near me had was a kiddie ride :P.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/21/18 at 1:06 pm

That looks really cool :o. The only thing the McDonald's near me had was a kiddie ride :P.

Yeah they were. McDonalds was just a very magical place to go to when I was a kid. I'm sure kids still get ecstatic about McDonalds now, but nowhere near the same levels my generation did. Mainly just because things are a lot more politically correct now and McDonalds have been trying to desperately cater to the Millennial crowd (ironically the generation that grew up with the McDonaldLand marketing as kids).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/18 at 1:08 pm

I passed by one of my local McDonald's this morning and I noticed these kiosk ordering systems closed to the front door, I have never used one myself yet. I was not able to take a photo of them, but will when I can.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/18 at 7:34 am

mine had a small amusement park.

Check for new replies or respond here...