inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Time INC exploring selling myspace.com to potential bidder

Written By: Early2002 on 05/10/18 at 3:35 pm

https://www.fastcompany.com/40562668/myspace-which-still-exists-may-be-up-for-sale-again

The Wall Street Journal reports that Meredith is “exploring the possible sale of Viant Technology, the parent of MySpace.” This seems to be part of the publisher’s strategy to unload titles from its current portfolio. The company has plans to sell some of its most well-known magazines, including Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune, and Money. All of these publications are quite beloved, so it’s at least hopeful they’ll find a new home.

We’ll have to see who will scoop up Viant–and by extension Myspace–though perhaps now is the time to strike. With Facebook fatigue setting in, maybe people are ready to go back to their old social network ways. More likely, however, Myspace will continue to exist online in relative obscurity no matter who the new Viant buyer is.

Subject: Re: Time INC exploring selling myspace.com to potential bidder

Written By: bchris02 on 05/10/18 at 3:57 pm

https://www.fastcompany.com/40562668/myspace-which-still-exists-may-be-up-for-sale-again

The Wall Street Journal reports that Meredith is “exploring the possible sale of Viant Technology, the parent of MySpace.” This seems to be part of the publisher’s strategy to unload titles from its current portfolio. The company has plans to sell some of its most well-known magazines, including Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune, and Money. All of these publications are quite beloved, so it’s at least hopeful they’ll find a new home.

We’ll have to see who will scoop up Viant–and by extension Myspace–though perhaps now is the time to strike. With Facebook fatigue setting in, maybe people are ready to go back to their old social network ways. More likely, however, Myspace will continue to exist online in relative obscurity no matter who the new Viant buyer is.

We need a new social networking platform but I would have a hard time taking MySpace seriously.  I believe it will forever be associated with the emo/scene era.

Subject: Re: Time INC exploring selling myspace.com to potential bidder

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/10/18 at 5:36 pm

We need a new social networking platform but I would have a hard time taking MySpace seriously.  I believe it will forever be associated with the emo/scene era.

But everybody used Myspace back in the day.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...