inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s artists still relevant in 2018?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/18 at 12:36 am

I am really loving the new Enrique Iglesias song and it really has me thinking how hard it is to believe that he is still relevant.  What other '90s artists would you say are still relevant in 2018?  Thinking about it, I've come up with the following.

Christina Aguilera
Justin Timberlake
Eminem
Jay-Z
Snoop Dogg

Who else?

Note: When I say "relevant", I mean they must have had a significant hit since at least January 2017.

Subject: Re: '90s artists still relevant in 2018?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/11/18 at 4:43 am

To be honest, I don’t really think Snoop Dogg is that relevant anymore.

Written By: Dundee on 05/11/18 at 5:14 am

Not sure if Christina Aguilera can be counted as relevant when her latest comeback is widely ignored. Last time she had a decent impact on charts was in 2006.

And yeah, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake and Eminem all did minor hits that quickly fell off the charts at best.

Wondering if Beyoncé counts because of 1999 Destiny Child. Because she would definitely be the most popular and still relevant artist.

There's very few at this point, so I'm asking which 70s artists were still relevant in 1998 similarly?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/18 at 8:02 am

He's hosting "Joker's Wild" now.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/11/18 at 9:20 am

Dr. Dre due to his beats by dre meme. Lil Wayne and P Diddy.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/11/18 at 10:58 am

I wouldn't say he's become completely irrelevant. Once in a while he'll be featured in music videos with modern artists throughout this decade. But yeah his prime was definitely the 90's and early 2000's.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/11/18 at 10:59 am

Not sure if Christina Aguilera can be counted as relevant when her latest comeback is widely ignored. Last time she had a decent impact on charts was in 2006.

And yeah, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake and Eminem all did minor hits that quickly fell off the charts at best.

Wondering if Beyoncé counts because of 1999 Destiny Child. Because she would definitely be the most popular and still relevant artist.

There's very few at this point, so I'm asking which 70s artists were still relevant in 1998 similarly?

I would say no.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/11/18 at 11:01 am

If there's any artist out of this list who was the most popular of the 2010's, it be Enimem. His songs from his "Recovery" album in 2010 and his "Marshall Mathers LP 2" album in 2013 had a lot of hits. That was his comeback, but since then he hasn't done much.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/11/18 at 11:04 am

Dr. Dre due to his beats by dre meme. Lil Wayne and P Diddy.

and Lil' Wayne doesn't count as a 90's artist. He's been active in the music industry since the 90's but his prime was the 2000's when it came to his hit singles and albums. Lil Wayne was even more relevant throughout the early 2010's than he was in the 90's period. His debut solo album didn't even come out til 1999 so he doesn't count at all.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/11/18 at 11:04 am

I wouldn't say he's become completely irrelevant. Once in a while he'll be featured in music videos with modern artists throughout this decade. But yeah his prime was definitely the 90's and early 2000's.

I never said he was “completely irrelevant” I just don’t think he is as relevant as he was in the 90’s and 2000’s. Last time I remember him being somewhat popular was probably sometime in the early 2010’s. He still makes new songs, but they’re not really that popular and they don’t really chart.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/11/18 at 11:06 am

Any thoughts on Gwen Stefani people?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/11/18 at 11:27 am

She's definitely not that relevant anymore.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/11/18 at 12:52 pm

and Lil' Wayne doesn't count as a 90's artist. He's been active in the music industry since the 90's but his prime was the 2000's when it came to his hit singles and albums. Lil Wayne was even more relevant throughout the early 2010's than he was in the 90's period. His debut solo album didn't even come out til 1999 so he doesn't count at all.

Lil Wayne has still been relevant for a long time tho. It might as well be on pair with Dr. Dre and P Diddy since he led Hip Hop at one point.

.. Aaliyah is still relevant because she has legacy hits.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/18 at 3:51 pm

I never said he was “completely irrelevant” I just don’t think he is as relevant as he was in the 90’s and 2000’s. Last time I remember him being somewhat popular was probably sometime in the early 2010’s. He still makes new songs, but they’re not really that popular and they don’t really chart.

I wouldn't count Snoop Dogg out yet.  Since the beginning he's always gone through eras of popularity followed by several years where he isn't as popular only to have a successful comeback.  I'm glad the Snoop Lion thing is over.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 05/11/18 at 4:03 pm

No, she topped the Billboard Hot 100 with "Moves like Jagger" in 2011, making her the eight artist and fourth female artist to reach #1 in 3 decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s).

Written By: All_about_lily92 on 05/11/18 at 4:59 pm

I’m surprised no one has mentioned p!nk. I’d say she’s pretty relevant still. I would say Beyoncé, but she’s on another level of being “relevant”; totally an exceptional artist.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/18 at 5:19 pm

I’m surprised no one has mentioned p!nk. I’d say she’s pretty relevant still. I would say Beyoncé, but she’s on another level of being “relevant”; totally an exceptional artist.

I would put her up there with Cher and Madonna.  A modern diva.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/18 at 5:21 pm

Cher was.  She had a big hit, "Believe" in 1999.

I do think music changed a lot more between the late 1970s and late 1990s than between the late 1990s and late 2010s.  I would say the two biggest shifts for music in the past century happened in the late 1960s and the early 1990s.

Written By: Dundee on 05/11/18 at 5:47 pm

No, she topped the Billboard Hot 100 with "Moves like Jagger" in 2011, making her the eight artist and fourth female artist to reach #1 in 3 decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s).
Lmao, it was a such tiny featuring she barely deserves credit for it. The song mostly exploded because it's a Maroon 5 song and Maroon 5 were very popular throughout this decade.

It helped in zero ways since her actual solo comeback (a year later) flopped completely.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/11/18 at 7:00 pm

Does Justin Timberlake count?

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/18 at 7:25 pm

Lmao, it was a such tiny featuring she barely deserves credit for it. The song mostly exploded because it's a Maroon 5 song and Maroon 5 were very popular throughout this decade.

It helped in zero ways since her actual solo comeback (a year later) flopped completely.

Maroon 5...man. I remember I listened to an ep their label sent my school to be reviewed by our school newspaper in 2002. Now look at em.

This was the first song I listened to

rV8NHsmVMPE

I was like, "eh, it's alright. Not my taste."

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/11/18 at 7:26 pm

Does Justin Timberlake count?

I think he does. I think he's officially one his way out tho.

Written By: d90 on 05/11/18 at 7:55 pm

Beyonce
Jay Z

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/18 at 2:51 am

For our members in Europe ...

Kylie Minogue
Manic Street Preachers

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/12/18 at 8:16 am

Damn I forgot Usher. If Beyoncé was relevant since then, Usher definitely is.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/12/18 at 10:10 am

For our members in Europe ...

Kylie Minogue
Manic Street Preachers

Really, Kylie Minogue is still relevant? Last I heard of her was on Doctor Who years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/18 at 10:30 am

Really, Kylie Minogue is still relevant? Last I heard of her was on Doctor Who years ago.
Her latest album Golden was released on 6 April 2018.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/18 at 10:49 am

Her latest album Golden was released on 6 April 2018.

Oh yeah.  I liked the song too but kind of forgot about it.  It was mostly ignored and didn't even really chart.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/12/18 at 11:11 am

I’d say Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, and Jay Z are the most relevant 90s artists, and even that (with the exception of Beyoncé) is pushing it.

JT’s new album was innovative, but didn’t garner a lot of critical praise, not to mention his SuperBowl Halftime performance this year was trash!

Jay Z, IMHO, is only relevant mainly because of his wife. He still makes bangers like Family Feud, but even in that particular song he had to feature Beyoncé and Blue Ivy.

Written By: nally on 05/12/18 at 11:15 am

No one mentioned Pink because she was not musically active in the 1990's.

I’d say Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, and Jay Z are the most relevant 90s artists, and even that (with the exception of Beyoncé) is pushing it.

JT’s new album was innovative, but didn’t garner a lot of critical praise, not to mention his SuperBowl Halftime performance this year was trash!

Jay Z, IMHO, is only relevant mainly because of his wife. He still makes bangers like Family Feud, but even in that particular song he had to feature Beyoncé and Blue Ivy.

Beyonce, however, was more of a 2000s artist because she made her solo debut in 03. However, she was originally a member of Destiny's Child, a band that debuted in 97 (although their formation can be traced earlier than that). O0

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/12/18 at 12:17 pm

Beyonce, however, was more of a 2000s artist because she made her solo debut in 03. However, she was originally a member of Destiny's Child, a band that debuted in 97 (although their formation can be traced earlier than that). O0

True, but in that sense that technically means JT was also more of a 2000s artist as well since he was in the boy band N’SYNC in the late 90s/early 00s. He didn’t emerge as a solo artist until N’SYNC broke up in 2002, and he launched his debut album Justified (with his lead single, Cry Me a River, being a massive diss track aimed at Britney Spears) that same year as well.

So technically, the only real 90s artist that is still relevant is Jay Z, and that’s only by the skin of the teeth (as stated prior, that is thanks to Beyoncé still being massively popular).

It’s sad, but many of the artists I grew up listening to (JT, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Linkin Park, Eminem, etc.) are not relevant with the youth of today at all. All in all, that’s just the passage of time and the changing trends as a new generation of musical artists has emerged.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/18 at 3:03 pm

I would put her up there with Cher and Madonna.  A modern diva.

I think they're both relevant today.

Written By: ofkx on 05/12/18 at 6:46 pm

I wouldn't consider Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, or Snoop Dog relevant.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/12/18 at 6:59 pm

I agree with Shruggie.  This question is difficult to answer since most '90s musicians have already disappeared from the standard years earlier. There's barely even '00s artists in the mainstream currently at this time.

Jay Z, IMHO, is only relevant mainly because of his wife. He still makes bangers like Family Feud, but even in that particular song, he had to feature Beyoncé and Blue Ivy.
You know it's funny you say that. My mom said the same thing too, and I agree with both of you. If Beyonce had fallen off the mainstream years earlier, then Jay-Z wouldn't even be relevant right now (although has he been in that position since 2014).

Check for new replies or respond here...