inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will replace stores, malls, banks, and movie theaters?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/12/18 at 12:52 pm

Most of the brick and mortar chains are going under; it'll probably be a decade or so but I can see the mall going extinct too as such. All of this is in a commercial sense being replaced by online ordering. But what I am talking about is...What will these physical locations become? What will replace all these things socially?

Where I live, there is a Century21 which has been around in the same location for 30 years. There are fast food places, which as we know, are slowly dying. Then there are small non-chain stores, which as we know, have no real future either. I can imagine banking dying off as well given that you can bank easily online or via an App. It is said that the movie theater is dying as well due to streaming services.

What do you imagine the commercial landscape of America will look like in another 20-30 years, both in terms of physical structures and in terms of social experience?

Subject: Re: What will replace stores, malls, banks, and movie theaters?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/18 at 2:58 pm

What will replace them? Computers I guess. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/18 at 3:45 pm

Tumbleweed?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/18 at 4:27 pm

Very likely it will be luxury housing, which is already widely happening in US cities as the income inequality gap continues to widen and widen. The middle class in the US is basically gone.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/12/18 at 6:14 pm

Turn 'em into mixed-income housing projects.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/12/18 at 6:17 pm

Very likely it will be luxury housing, which is already widely happening in US cities as the income inequality gap continues to widen and widen. The middle class in the US is basically gone.

Not where I live. Shell Chemical is building a $10,000,000,000 ethane refinery near my town and there are great paying middle class jobs galore. Welders, plumbers, riggers, iron workers, truckers, you-name-it, and that is just for the project itself. Lots of hotels and stores and supplier businesses going up to support the project.  8)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/12/18 at 6:25 pm

UberDrive. UberEats. UberStores. UberBanks. UberMovies. UberILLUMINATI.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/12/18 at 9:06 pm

As a non-American person, I find incredible that malls are about to die in the US, even some fast food chains :o My country has a economy based in the american model, so it will be most likely happen the same in the 2020’s

Written By: Howard on 05/13/18 at 7:37 am

*stores to most likely be replaced by computers
*malls will be replaced by computers too since just about everything is online
*banks might not go away anytime soon but I think The ATMs will stay so that you can deposit and withdraw money
*movie theaters will be replaced by Netflix and Hulu

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/18 at 3:00 pm

That's what I was thinking. Condos or apartments.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/13/18 at 3:24 pm

It's not gone but it is shrinking.

I think most of the dead malls will be turned in office spaces. I used to work in one of those.

Check for new replies or respond here...