inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '00s artists still relevant in 2018?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/12/18 at 7:06 pm

This subject is the sequel to the previous topic. I know some people are going to say Beyonce, Kanye, Eminem, and JT, but honestly, I don't think they are that relevant at this point anymore. I'm not dissing the fact they all didn't have albums in the 2010s or anything (they did), but to say they still have importance in the industry is odd. All of those musicians are at the stage where their songs aren't anywhere on the charts nowadays. Instead, a new crop of artists has replaced them who entered the mainstream recently or a few years ago.

The only two I can think of that would still have any relevance in the industry is Rhianna and Chris Brown. However, I'm not entirely sure on CB since it seems most singers have featured him mostly on their songs and that some folks still despise him for an incident that occurred a decade ago.

Subject: Re: '00s artists still relevant in 2018?

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/12/18 at 7:08 pm

Kanye

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/12/18 at 7:13 pm

Beyonce and Kanye are very much still relevant.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/12/18 at 7:17 pm

Kanye

Beyonce and Kanye are very much still relevant.
They are still popular concerning superstardom, but not regarding music. Every time I listen to the Hip-hop/R&B radio, none of their songs (including Kanye's new ones as well as the ones from Beyonce's Lemonade album) are played by the hosts on there.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/12/18 at 7:23 pm

They are still popular concerning superstardom, but not regarding music. Every time I listen to the Hip-hop/R&B radio, none of their songs (including Kanye's new ones as well as the ones from Beyonce's Lemonade album) are played by the hosts on there.

Well, that's because it's been about 2 years since their last albums lol.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/12/18 at 7:28 pm

I agree with you on Beyoncé, JT, Eminem, and Kanye fading in relevancy, they all seem to be heading into the legacy act territory. Yes, Beyoncé and Kanye are still super popular and influential, but concerning how well their songs actually do, they usually debut high and don't last up there long. However, regarding album success, they're still way up there.

Rihanna is really the only one that can get top 10 hits that have longevity though.

If you count Drake whose debut album released September 2008, I'd say he's more popular than ever before right now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/12/18 at 7:34 pm

They haven't put out anything recently. When they did a couple years ago, they were on the radio. Also, those 2 Kanye songs don't count because they're troll singles.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/12/18 at 7:38 pm

Well, that's because it's been about two years since their last albums lol.

They haven't put out anything recently. When they did a couple years ago, they were on the radio. Also, those 2 Kanye songs don't count because they're troll singles.
Not for Kanye though. He just released a new one a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard of any his tracks get played on the radio most likely due to his recent comments. As for Beyonce, while Lemonade was great, it didn't seem to have a lasting effect on where it could continue to play the songs from the album after 2016 ended. Rhianna's Anti album received more airplay compared to Beyonce's Lemonade, and both of their CDs came out around the same time.

I agree with you on Beyoncé, JT, Eminem, and Kanye fading in relevancy, they all seem to be heading into the legacy act territory. Yes, Beyoncé and Kanye are still super popular and influential, but concerning how well their songs do, they usually debut high and don't last up there long. However, regarding album success, they're still way up there.

Rihanna is the only one that can get top 10 hits that have longevity though.

If you count Drake whose debut album released in September 2008, I'd say he's more popular than ever before right now.
I approve this message. I also think Beyonce and Eminem have possibly already achieved that feature considering they have been in the industry for two decades now.

As for Drake, I don't count him since he genuinely didn't hit the scene until 2009. I don't remember listening to his Comeback Season album for some reason despite that I heard tons of Hip-hop at that time.

Written By: antidote on 05/12/18 at 7:54 pm

Kanye is extremely relevant... anyone who says otherwise must be pretty out of touch with the music scene. The Kanye fanbase is more than thriving and his album 808s and Heartbreak is where a lot of new rappers take inspiration from for their own music.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/12/18 at 8:21 pm

Kanye is extremely relevant... anyone who says otherwise must be pretty out of touch with the music scene. The Kanye fanbase is more than thriving and his album 808s and Heartbreak is where a lot of new rappers take inspiration from for their own music.

I agree. His song "Lift Yourself" has been quite popular lately.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/12/18 at 8:23 pm

Not for Kanye though. He just released a new one a few weeks ago, and I haven't heard of any his tracks get played on the radio most likely due to his recent comments. As for Beyonce, while Lemonade was great, it didn't seem to have a lasting effect on where it could continue to play the songs from the album after 2016 ended. Rhianna's Anti album received more airplay compared to Beyonce's Lemonade, and both of their CDs came out around the same time.
I approve this message. I also think Beyonce and Eminem have possibly already achieved that feature considering they have been in the industry for two decades now.

As for Drake, I don't count him since he genuinely didn't hit the scene until 2009. I don't remember listening to his Comeback Season album for some reason despite that I heard tons of Hip-hop at that time.

What I'm saying is, they're not "real" singles lol. Radio definitely isn't going to play "lift yourself," because it's meant to be a joke. As far as Ye vs. The People, that isn't a radio-friendly song at all. That's something he released to keep the controversy going.

Kanye will be dropping 2 albums of his own in June, as well as 3 more albums that he produced for other artists. That's 5 albums in total lol.

I agree. Drake isn't a 2000s artist. He didn't become a true force in mainstream until 2009.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/12/18 at 8:32 pm

Ok this thread should be the right time for Lil Wayne. Birdman. Bow Wow and 50 Cent are both relevant in a sense due to the drama they create.

Aye, I wouldn't just limit them to music. Maintaining of relevancy generally takes talent.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/12/18 at 8:34 pm

I think Kanye's upcoming albums are going to be huge, but I'm unsure on how well the actual singles (excluding Lift Yourself and Ye vs the People for the reasons Millennium mentioned) will perform, even with streaming. Kanye acknowledged his lack of radio presence in the recent interview with Charlamagne. Despite all the Kanye controversy though, I'm actually interested in both albums, especially the one with Kid Cudi, because Kid Cudi is one of my favorite artists.

Yeah, I agree, I see him as a 10's artist, I first really found out who he was in late 2009/early 2010, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/13/18 at 6:28 am

Renewed relevance for a bunch of the old emo bands like FOB and Panic!

Written By: #Infinity on 05/13/18 at 1:05 pm

Demi Lovato was technically relevant in the late 2000s, even though she was more of a Disney pop princess back then and not a mature pop diva as she is today. In that sense, she's similar to Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and Ariana Grande.

Written By: ofkx on 05/13/18 at 1:46 pm

Pink is still pretty popular and relevant. She's had hits all through this decade, including one last year called "What About Us"

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/13/18 at 1:51 pm

Kelly Clarkson, how could I forget?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/13/18 at 2:54 pm

Drake was technically partially a late 2000's artist despite his peak being in the 2010's. He was very popular in 2009 and is still very relevant today. In fact, he's been relevant this entire decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/18 at 4:59 pm

Ok, this thread should be the right time for Lil Wayne. Birdman. Bow Wow and 50 Cent are both relevant in a sense due to the drama they create.

Aye, I wouldn't just limit them to music. Maintaining of relevancy generally takes talent.
Lil' Wayne could be considered one, but I'm not entirely sure since he was honestly wasn't mainstream in the previous decade. As for 50 Cent and Bow Wow, not really. Their relevancy faded several years ago.

Regarding your second statement, I agree, but the original topic (the one about 90s artists relevant today), only discussed musicians and not other departments of famous people.

Demi Lovato was technically relevant in the late 2000s, even though she was more of a Disney pop princess back then and not a mature pop diva as she is today. In that sense, she's similar to Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and Ariana Grande.
Maybe, but that depends on how popular Demi was at that time. I would honestly give Miley that title considering she was more well known than Demi back in the late 00s and even had a few songs that garnered success outside of the Disney bubble. She additionally had a few songs last year that achieved success as well although I don't remember making it to the top 10 or anything.

Pink is still pretty popular and relevant. She's had hits all through this decade, including one last year called "What About Us."
I agree especially since the track played throughout last year and this year.

Kelly Clarkson, how could I forget?
Yeah, Kelly could also be considered one. I mean, while her songs haven't played on the Top 40 radio, she does have music that caters to a specific audience.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/16/18 at 5:50 pm

^ Lil Wayne was definitely mainstream last decade. The late 2000s / Early 2010s was his peak. Remember lollipop from 2008?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/16/18 at 6:11 pm

^ Lil Wayne was definitely mainstream last decade. The late 2000s / Early 2010s was his peak. Remember lollipop from 2008?

Facts. Between Lollipop in 2008 and No Worries in 2012, Lil Wayne was unstoppable. Basically the Carter III/IV Era.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/16/18 at 6:38 pm

Lil Wayne was actually relevant since 2004 with Go DJ and struck out. He maintained his presence since then.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/18 at 6:50 pm

^ Lil Wayne was mainstream last decade. The late 2000s / Early 2010s was his peak. Remember lollipop from 2008?
Yeah, I do. It's just that I don't remember listening to his music back then before Lollipop. He must have been more underground at that time.

Lil Wayne was relevant since 2004 with Go DJ and struck out. He maintained his presence since then.
If Lil' Wayne was relevant in 2004, then why wasn't his songs played on Hip-hop/R&B stations? I'm honestly telling you I didn't hear much of Lil' Wayne until the track Lollipop came out.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/16/18 at 7:19 pm

It was played on the radio and TV. He was still mainstream in 2004 and before, it's just that Lollipop and beyond was his peak.  It might be that you didn't pay much attention to him back then.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/16/18 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, I do. It's just that I don't remember listening to his music back then before Lollipop. He must have been more underground at that time.
If Lil' Wayne was relevant in 2004, then why wasn't his songs played on Hip-hop/R&B stations? I'm honestly telling you I didn't hear much of Lil' Wayne until the track Lollipop came out.

And that's alright. Lady Gaga was big in 2009 but I didn't know about her until 2012.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/18 at 10:30 pm

Those stations played his music on the radio and TV. He was still mainstream in 2004 and before, it's just that Lollipop and beyond was his peak.  It might be that you didn't pay much attention to him back then.
Most likely so. I mean I listened to tons of Hip-hop/R&B stations around that time, and they played Beyonce, Rhianna, Chris Brown, Ludacris, Usher, Lil Jon, etc., but not Lil' Wayne. It's so weird I don't remember hearing him on Destiny Child's Soldier, and he was a featured artist on that song.

And that's alright. Lady Gaga was big in 2009, but I didn't know about her until 2012.
It's all good! Not everyone is going to know about a huge artist at the same time. I mean, I didn't even know about T-Swift until 2009, and she became mainstream in 2006.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/17/18 at 3:41 pm

Bow Wow is sorta gaining relvence back since his jetplane incident last year and the Bow Wow challenge. Bow Wow was the perfect generation Y artist since he was born in 1987, been rapping since the early 90s but became mainstream in 2000 and so many of his fans became adults around the time he did.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/17/18 at 4:07 pm

I feel the same way to about Lil Wayne, I know he was popular pre-2008 but I don't remember anyone bringing him up in conversation prior to 2008.  He's main demographic at the time was the South so most his fanbase where in the south since I was living in NY at time there nobody in NY was really rocking with southern rappers besides Ludacris and Lil John. I heard Go Dj back in 2006/07 and didn't realize it was him singing it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/17/18 at 7:06 pm

Wow. So did y'all hear music from Big Tymers / Cash Money Records back then?

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/17/18 at 9:43 pm

Wow. So did y'all hear music from Big Tymers / Cash Money Records back then?

Still Fly and Real Big are still bangers.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/21/18 at 3:40 pm

I feel the same way too about Lil Wayne, I know he was popular pre-2008, but I don't remember anyone bringing him up in conversation before 2008.  He's main demographic at the time was the South so most his fanbase where in the south since I was living in NY at the time there nobody in NY was rocking with southern rappers besides Ludacris and Lil John. I heard Go Dj back in 2006/07 and didn't realize it was him singing it.
I think that's the main reason. It did seem like Lil' Wayne's music was mainly in the south considering he is from that region. That's why I didn't hear him much since I live on the West Coast and heard a variety of hip-hop at that time.

Wow. So did you all hear music from Big Tymers / Cash Money Records back then?
Yes, I did hear them back then, but not Lil' Wayne.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/21/18 at 3:44 pm

I feel the same way to about Lil Wayne, I know he was popular pre-2008 but I don't remember anyone bringing him up in conversation prior to 2008.  He's main demographic at the time was the South so most his fanbase where in the south since I was living in NY at time there nobody in NY was really rocking with southern rappers besides Ludacris and Lil John. I heard Go Dj back in 2006/07 and didn't realize it was him singing it.

Lil Wayne's prime was the late '00s and the first half of the '10s.  While I knew of him as far back as 2004 (I am in the South), Mrs. Officer was inescapable in 2008 and it made him a household name.  Truffle Butter, with Nicki Minaj is the last one I remember that he did that was big.

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/18 at 4:43 pm

Calvin Harris and David Guetta

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/23/18 at 8:23 pm

Pharrel is another 2000s artist that kinda stayed on the radar in the 10s. He just made a new song with Rihanna last year called Lemon.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/23/18 at 9:29 pm

Pharrel is another 2000s artist that kinda stayed on the radar in the 10s. He just made a new song with Rihanna last year called Lemon.

I forgot about Pharrell. He's definitely more relevant than a lot of other 2000s artists. He's anonymous.

Written By: Dundee on 05/24/18 at 2:50 am

Quite suprised no one mentioned yet bands like Maroon 5 and Coldplay who have still staying power in the charts.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/24/18 at 12:43 pm

Pusha T if you listen to rap.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/24/18 at 1:01 pm

Pusha T if you listen to rap.
Another artist from VA that's still killing it,  I know his solo career really exploded once he separated himself from his brother no malice. I'm so happy to see No Malice doing his thing as a born-again Christian, their separation was probably the best thing that could've happened to them. Pusha T is a dope lyricist and No Malice is a no slouch either. My favorite Clipse song is I'm good which was made right before they split up.

Check for new replies or respond here...