inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were there any teen cult classic movies that came out this decade?

Written By: antidote on 05/12/18 at 10:42 pm

Pretty much every decade has had one, even the 00s (Mean Girls). The closest equivalent I can think of for this decade is The Fault in our Stars, but that honestly doesn't compare to the legacy surrounding movies like Ferris Bueller, The Breakfast Club, Cruel Intentions, Kids, etc. And there was a TV show this year called The End of the F***ing World released on Netflix that's about as long as an actual movie and was pretty popular with the 16-20 demographic (I would know, I'm in this demographic and people were crazy about it for like a month), but it's still not a movie.

Subject: Re: Were there any teen cult classic movies that came out this decade?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/12/18 at 11:10 pm

Easy A (2010)

Submarine (2010)

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

The Hunger Games (2012)

The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

The DUFF (2015)

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

Written By: antidote on 05/13/18 at 12:51 am

Easy A (2010)

Submarine (2010)

The Hunger Games (2012)

The DUFF (2015)

Oh yeah, totally forgot about those, although I don't really think The Hunger Games counts as a teen cult classic on the same plane as the other movies you listed.

Also I just remembered another one, The Kings of Summer.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/13/18 at 1:04 am

Project X (2012)

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/18 at 8:31 am

This decade really doesn't have the teen/coming of age classics like especially the Y2K era (American Pie, She's All That, Bring it On, etc.). I was watching "Not Another Teen Movie" the other night which spoofed mainly the teen movies of that recent era, and also the Brat Pack era of the mid 80's (Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink). This decade probably the Pitch Perfect series is the only thing that comes close, unless you count the dystopian movies such as Hunger Games and Divergent series.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/13/18 at 12:38 pm

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)
Chronicle (2012)
Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
Kickass 2 (2014)
Ladybird (2017)
Power Rangers (2017)

I think Love, Simon (2018) works best as the best gay film and best teen film of the 2010s so far.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/13/18 at 12:52 pm

I think Love, Simon (2018) will go down as an enormous teen cult classic. It was released around the same time as Black Panther and therefore got a bit overlooked, but the reception was resoundingly positive from both critics and audiences, and it holds a special place in history for starring a gay main character while still having the spirit of any high school classic.

Other than that, I agree that Easy A and Perks of Being a Wallflower may go down as teen cult classics representing the 2010s, though I think Love, Simon is probably going to represent 2010s culture a bit more definitively. Ladybird may be a classic, but since it's set in 2002 and 2003, it's more of a nostalgia piece than a 2010s teen cult classic, although I guess you could sort of compare it to Dirty Dancing, which wasn't set in the '80s, or Dazed and Confused, which wasn't set in the '90s.

By the way, the 2000s had more than just Mean Girls (2004). They were also known for Superbad (2007).

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/15/18 at 5:23 pm

You forgot Clueless. How could you leave out Clueless?

Rolling with the homies.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 5:55 pm

You forgot Clueless. How could you leave out Clueless?

Rolling with the homies.

Is this post sarcastic?

If it's not sarcastic, Clueless came out in the 1990s (1995) not the 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 6:23 pm

Easy A (2010)

Submarine (2010)

The Hunger Games (2012)

The DUFF (2015)

You know which one is my favorite of the bunch.

https://media.nu.nl/m/m1oxhi3atm43_wd1280.jpg/cd-recensie-various-artists---the-hunger-games-mockingjay---part-1.jpg

FLY LAWRENCE FLY  8-P  8)

Written By: Howard on 05/16/18 at 3:02 pm

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0MDUwNzg5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY4NjU3MzI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 05/16/18 at 3:04 pm

By the way, the 2000s had more than just Mean Girls (2004). They were also known for Superbad (2007).

Yeah the '00s were an excellent decade for teen comedy and coming of age movies.  For whatever reason it seems like they've been fewer and farther between in the '10s.  The '00s were more than just Mean Girls.  Off the top of my head, I can think of the following.

Dude Where's My Car
Road Trip
Road Trip: Beer Pong
Orange County
Freaky Friday
Napoleon Dynamite
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
Superbad (already mentioned)
John Tucker Must Die
Drillbit Taylor
17 Again
The Hangover

I do think Love Simon was the best movie of this genre I've seen this decade.  Then again, I aged out of the target demographic during the early 2010s.  It's something that makes me depressed when I think about it.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/16/18 at 7:03 pm

Yeah the '00s were an excellent decade for teen comedy and coming of age movies.  For whatever reason it seems like they've been fewer and farther between in the '10s.  The '00s were more than just Mean Girls.  Off the top of my head, I can think of the following.

Dude Where's My Car
Road Trip
Orange County
Freaky Friday
Napoleon Dynamite
John Tucker Must Die
Drillbit Taylor
17 Again
The Hangover

I do think Love Simon was the best movie of this genre I've seen this decade.  Then again, I aged out of the target demographic during the early 2010s.  It's something that makes me depressed when I think about it.

I'm not depressed about aging out of the target demographic because I never ever felt I was part of the target demographic.  ;D

There's a big part of me that wishes I could relive my life, yet, I'm also kinda happy I don't have to redo my teens years. They were okay but I doubt they'd be all that different from the one I lived.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/16/18 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, the '00s were a great decade for teen comedy and coming of age movies.  For whatever reason, it seems like they've been fewer and farther between in the '10s.  The '00s were more than Mean Girls.  Off the top of my head, I can think of the following.

Dude, Where's My Car?
Road Trip
Orange County
Freaky Friday
Napoleon Dynamite
John Tucker Must Die
Drillbit Taylor
17 Again
The Hangover

I agree! I noticed that too! I think the rationale behind it is that dystopian films and superhero flicks have been more significant throughout the decade compared to teen movies. If you think about it, as early as 2010 we had some superhero cinema such as Iron Man 2, Kickass, Megamind, and The Last Airbender. Then in 2012, we had the Hunger Games which started the dystopian genre. That was some hints that the teen set of films were going to be replaced by something new. I do have a feeling though they will return in the 2020s since the next generation will mainly be adolescents to where there will be an important market for them.

Oh, and I also concur that the 00s were a fantastic time for teen films. Other flicks from that decade not mentioned that I can think of are:

Bully
Havoc
Bring It On and its sequels
Not Another Teen Movie
Final Destination trilogy
Crossroads
Pineapple Express
High School Musical trilogy
College Road Trip
Get Over It
Thirteen
Boys & Girls
Friday Night Lights
The Guide To Getting Down
Dirty Deeds
Sex Drive
Euro Trip
Drumline
She's The Man

Written By: Wobo on 05/16/18 at 11:06 pm

https://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0MDUwNzg5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY4NjU3MzI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I saw it on netflix a few weeks ago in April and holy crap it was the most craziest wackest movie i have ever seen.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/17/18 at 5:19 am

I saw it on netflix a few weeks ago in April and holy crap it was the most craziest wackest movie i have ever seen.  ;D

I saw it the other day and at first I thought it would be one of those teen comedy horror films but it turned out to be mostly funny with some comedy bits and a lot of gore too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/18 at 5:57 am

Film4 in the UK had been promoting "Paper Towns", a 2015 film from the same producers of "The Fault in Our Stars". It is another teen romantic mystery comedy-drama. Is this a classic in this genre?

Written By: bluedust on 05/29/18 at 2:32 pm

I think Easy A (2010), Edge of Seventeen (2016) and Love, Simon (2018) will be remembered as the teen cult classics of this decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...