inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What exactly is VR?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/13/18 at 4:04 pm

Honest question, because I don't understand the technology and honestly, I've only read about it really. I know the concept, that goes back ages and all but...Is VR just another fad like 3D was in the late 00s or so? Or does it seem like a viable future medium? Would it compete with film or replace film? Also, how do aspect ratios work in VR?

I genuinely have no clue about it and anyone who is more up on the tech telling me about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Subject: Re: What exactly is VR?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/18 at 4:11 pm

Here's the difference:

In 3-D, you can watch Jaws 3D and the sharks appear to jump out of the screen at you and the various severed body parts appear to float in mid-air.

With VR, you can feel the great fish clamp down on your midsection.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/13/18 at 4:16 pm

Here's the difference:

In 3-D, you can watch Jaws 3D and the sharks appear to jump out of the screen at you and the various severed body parts appear to float in mid-air.

With VR, you can feel the great fish clamp down on your midsection.

Is that a serious answer? I'm not being sarcastic, I am honestly asking because, I haven't followed it at all. I saw the "48 FPS and 60 FPS is the future" thing crash and burn, I saw "3D IS THE FUTURE" crash and burn, so I kinda tuned out of "this is the future" sort of tech stuff when it comes to movies. Like, I have no clue about anything to do with VR outside of the 90s attempts at making it happen.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/18 at 4:19 pm

Is that a serious answer? I'm not being sarcastic, I am honestly asking because, I haven't followed it at all. I saw the "48 FPS and 60 FPS is the future" thing crash and burn, I saw "3D IS THE FUTURE" crash and burn, so I kinda tuned out of "this is the future" sort of tech stuff when it comes to movies. Like, I have no clue about anything to do with VR outside of the 90s attempts at making it happen.

The ultimate concept of VR is that you could experience a simulated life without ever having to leave the comfort of your sofa. Inasmuch as being munched upon by a Great White is part of the actual life experience (fortunately not to many), it is not outside the VR scope to be able to fulfill my vision of it.  8)

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/13/18 at 4:25 pm

The ultimate concept of VR is that you could experience a simulated life without ever having to leave the comfort of your sofa. Inasmuch as being munched upon by a Great White is part of the actual life experience (fortunately not to many), it is not outside the VR scope to be able to fulfill my vision of it.  8)

It sounds like something that will be more of a hobby or a side thing than an actual mainstream technology. More likely to overtake video games than movies, anyway, at least as far as you're explaining it, and even then you might have sticklers to traditionally played video games.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/13/18 at 5:43 pm

VR is far more efficient than 3D, it’s capable to watch 360 degree videos/pics wearing a headset, which is a completely huge experience immersed in the moment. That’s why many analysts foresee that VR/AR/MR goggles will be the next big thing, replacing cellphones.
At present, you can buy high-end VR headsets such as HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PlayStation VR around $400, also a cheaper version of the Rift, called Oculus Go at $200 or a low budget headset like Cardboards, which work with your cellphone. If you’re interested in AR, there some options like Vuzix SmartGlasses or Microsoft Hololens, but they’re focused on developers for now

Written By: annimal on 05/13/18 at 5:51 pm

sounds like another one of those things that will knock off my implant if I don't have to take it off

Written By: Slim95 on 05/13/18 at 8:51 pm

The first time I tried VR (in 2015), I literally felt like I went 20 years into the future. It was the coolest thing ever. The novelty wore off, but trust me if you've never tried it the first time you put it on you will be very amazed how cool it is, even though it is still early in the game and the resolution isn't the best yet. Really fun technology. My Gear VR broke and I miss having it but in a few years when the technology improves I will buy a new better headset and a powerful PC along with it.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/13/18 at 9:27 pm

Playstation 4 VR is something else I tell you!

Written By: ofkx on 05/13/18 at 9:54 pm

VR = Virtual Reality. It's used a lot more in gaming than in movies though.
I was going to buy  the HTC Vive but it turns out my computer can't handle it :).

Written By: Dundee on 05/14/18 at 3:13 pm

Huh, 3D is still fairly popular and not just a fad of the late 2000s. A lot of movies are still screened in a 3D version and even YouTube has an in-built rendition for it ???

Edit: Ah, maybe you meant 3D-televisions and yeah that definitely was a fad, peaking in the early 2010s. Another reason to see 2013 as a transitional year folks.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/14/18 at 3:15 pm

Huh, 3D is still fairly popular and not just a fad of the late 2000s. A lot of movies are still screened in 3D version and even YouTube has an in-built rendition for it  ???

It's popular but back during the late 2000s people were talking how it would replace non-3D film entirely. Sure, it is still around and popular, but it's not the massive thing it was in 2009.

Check for new replies or respond here...