inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comcast removes Cartoon Network from Basic cable

Written By: Early2002 on 05/14/18 at 10:49 pm

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Cartoon-Network/td-p/3078844

LOL good thing I have DirecTV

Subject: Re: Comcast removes Cartoon Network from Basic cable

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/14/18 at 11:03 pm

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Cartoon-Network/td-p/3078844

LOL good thing I have DirecTV

Good thing you have DirectTV? Dude, who still watches Cartoon Network anymore?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/14/18 at 11:04 pm

This is not surprising, as our ways of watching TV has been changing now, and as for Cartoon Network itself, the network is just past its prime now. It had some great eras, but I don't think it'll ever recover from the state it's in now. They've been heavily trying to push its app so kids can start watching more CN shows streaming or On Demand but even that hasn't been so successful.

Written By: antidote on 05/15/18 at 12:16 am

RIP. I'm already nostalgic for early 2010s Cartoon Network, especially Adventure Time in 2010-2011. Amazing how in less than a decade CN went from a golden age to... whatever is happening to it right now.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/15/18 at 12:44 am

Cartoon Network died in 2004 lol

Written By: antidote on 05/15/18 at 12:47 am

did it die in 2004 or did you just stop watching it in 2004

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/15/18 at 1:17 am

And what good will that do?
CN airs Family Guy and American Dad reruns via Adult Swim almost every night.
Thousands, if not millions, of Comcast subscribers tune in to CN for that reason alone. Adult Swim has broad appeal. Unlike the rest of CN’s programming, which almost exclusively appeals to children and young teens.
And the same young teens stay on to catch the Adult Swim time slot.
So I think Comcast is shooting itself in the foot.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/15/18 at 1:18 am

But Adult Swim is still alive and well. Adult Swim is practically the ventilator for CN.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/15/18 at 4:25 am

Indeed..... Nothing but crap on there now!!

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/15/18 at 5:50 am

The peak of the network ended in 04 but ultimately died in 07, officially dead by 08.
And what good will that do?
CN airs Family Guy and American Dad reruns via Adult Swim almost every night.
Thousands, if not millions, of Comcast subscribers tune in to CN for that reason alone. Adult Swim has broad appeal. Unlike the rest of CN’s programming, which almost exclusively appeals to children and young teens.
And the same young teens stay on to catch the Adult Swim time slot.
So I think Comcast is shooting itself in the foot.

As far as the network, I'm worried about Toonami because I want the program to remain high in views. Other then that, I'm not stressed over it.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 6:10 am

I still do until my cable got cutt off a month ago.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 6:10 am

Meh we don't use cable anymore so it doesn't matter to me.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 6:12 am

RIP. I'm already nostalgic for early 2010s Cartoon Network, especially Adventure Time in 2010-2011. Amazing how in less than a decade CN went from a golden age to... whatever is happening to it right now.

Yeah Early 2010s cartoon network was awesome especially 2012-13 CN.

Written By: Howard on 05/15/18 at 7:03 am

I don't but I used to from back in the days.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/15/18 at 10:22 am

No it didn't LOL

Are we forgetting Adult Swims prime LOL

Family Guy, Futurama, Harvey Birdman, Aqua Teen

Written By: SmartBo1 on 05/15/18 at 10:26 am

You didn't like the city era?

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/15/18 at 11:30 am

I'm worried about Adult Swim. I think the last time I watched a full Adult Swim session was 2015 and before that, maybe in 2005. Adult Swim holds a special place in my heart though. It was very much a part of the best aspect of my high school years. The bumps, the weird early 2000s humor, Flying Lotus before Los Angeles. NewrZ6ivFcY. I even liked watching the repeats of Family Guy and American Dad and other repeat-worthy cartoons. I cut the cord once I moved out of my parent's house...in 2005. lol. Never went back. But Adult Swim still holds a special place in my heart. I'd be willing to subscribe to them if they had that option.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/15/18 at 11:50 am

I'm worried about Adult Swim. I think the last time I watched a full Adult Swim session was 2015 and before that, maybe in 2005. Adult Swim holds a special place in my heart though. It was very much a part of the best aspect of my high school years. The bumps, the weird early 2000s humor, Flying Lotus before Los Angeles. NewrZ6ivFcY. I even liked watching the repeats of Family Guy and American Dad and other repeat-worthy cartoons. I cut the cord once I moved out of my parent's house...in 2005. lol. Never went back. But Adult Swim still holds a special place in my heart. I'd be willing to subscribe to them if they had that option.

Adult Swim was weird as f in the late 2000s though. It took until Rick and Morty to redeem the block in balance. Early 2000s-2004 Adult Swim any day.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/15/18 at 11:55 am

They do Sling Tv, cheapest way

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 12:03 pm

and that's her opinion people. I'm okay with this, if you thought the 1997-2004 era was the only good era, then I'm cool with that. I don't blame anybody for it especially if you're older than me. The fact of the matter is, between 2004 and 2009, Cartoon Network never got better once until 2010 hit. CN City was still good IMO, but facts are facts.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 12:06 pm

The peak of the network ended in 04 but ultimately died in 07, officially dead by 08.

Yep. I would still include late 2004-early 2006 as part of the peak in terms of original content but I can understand why some people believe the peak ended in 2004 when it came to overall variety and blocks. I was 8 in 2004 so I was obviously still into the network, but if you were older than me at the time then your perspective might have been different.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 12:10 pm

Yeah Early 2010s cartoon network was awesome especially 2012-13 CN.

Totally agree, the CHECK it era from 2010-2014 was a short lived Renaissance. When Adventure Time and Regular Show were the main popular shows along with so many other solid shows such as Young Justice, The Looney Tunes Show, Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc, and Cartoon Planet. I would also include Toonami's revival on as part of this era.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/18 at 12:18 pm

and that's her opinion people. I'm okay with this, if you thought the 1997-2004 era was the only good era, then I'm cool with that. I don't blame anybody for it especially if you're older than me. The fact of the matter is, between 2004 and 2009, Cartoon Network never got better once until 2010 hit. CN City was still good IMO, but facts are facts.

That’s an opinion, lmao.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/18 at 12:19 pm

Cartoon Network never died. If it did, it wouldn’t be around anymore, and we probably would’ve had a funeral for it.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 12:25 pm

That’s an opinion, lmao.

I've been on the internet forums and YouTube comments since 2007 and 2008. I've seen the deadline date for Cartoon Network change over and over again, and a lot of the reasons are just too superficial or biased with nostalgia blindness. At this point now it's all opinions, but here are the facts though, Cartoon Network's peak will always be the 1997-2004 era and the 2004-2006 era, because of how much original content they had at the time and the amount of acquired shows & well known blocks that existed. The Cartoon Cartoons/originals in its prime. Toonami in its prime. CCF/Fridays in its prime, and so forth. It's just like how it's a fact that the golden age of Nickelodeon will always be the 90's, even if we grew up with 00's Nick or later. Cartoon Network's prime targeted the millennial generation. Early 2010's CN was just a short Renaissance thanks to Adventure Time and Regular Show, but the network has been past its prime.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 12:30 pm

Cartoon Network never died. If it did, it wouldn’t be around anymore, and we probably would’ve had a funeral for it.

I don't think she literally means that's when Cartoon Network died, I think she means that's when the network grew out of her. She probably enjoyed Cartoon Network the most when the main Cartoon Cartoons were premiering new episodes on a weekly basis and when there was a balance of classic cartoons from the 30's-80's at the same time. 2004 and 2008/2009 are the most commonly picked years for when CN died. Now honestly, most people who pick 2008 and 2009 have valid reasons and it makes sense because CN in fact nearly went the MTV route throughout the late 00's, but most people who pick 2004 are usually go by their nostalgia blindness and have more biased reasons, but at the end of the day it's all still opinions. I'm not gonna hate on people who enjoyed the Nood Era from 2008-2010, even if I didn't like it myself. Plus, the sad thing is even the Nood Era at least had more variety than the state CN has been in the last couple of years.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/18 at 12:37 pm

I've been on the internet forums and YouTube comments since 2007 and 2008. I've seen the deadline date for Cartoon Network change over and over again, and a lot of the reasons are just too superficial or biased with nostalgia blindness. At this point now it's all opinions, but here are the facts though, Cartoon Network's peak will always be the 1997-2004 era and the 2004-2006 era, because of how much original content they had at the time and the amount of acquired shows & well known blocks that existed. The Cartoon Cartoons/originals in its prime. Toonami in its prime. CCF/Fridays in its prime, and so forth. It's just like how it's a fact that the golden age of Nickelodeon will always be the 90's, even if we grew up with 00's Nick or later. Cartoon Network's prime targeted the millennial generation. Early 2010's CN was just a short Renaissance thanks to Adventure Time and Regular Show, but the network has been past its prime.

So like if I say cartoon networks peak was 4.5 Billion B.C. or something would I be wrong? I remember watching it back then and it was pretty lit.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/18 at 12:44 pm

I don't think she literally means that's when Cartoon Network died, I think she means that's when the network grew out of her. She probably enjoyed Cartoon Network the most when the main Cartoon Cartoons were premiering new episodes on a weekly basis and when there was a balance of classic cartoons from the 30's-80's at the same time. 2004 and 2008/2009 are the most commonly picked years for when CN died. Now honestly, most people who pick 2008 and 2009 have valid reasons and it makes sense because CN in fact nearly went the MTV route throughout the late 00's, but most people who pick 2004 are usually go by their nostalgia blindness and have more biased reasons, but at the end of the day it's all still opinions. I'm not gonna hate on people who enjoyed the Nood Era from 2008-2010, even if I didn't like it myself. Plus, the sad thing is even the Nood Era at least had more variety than the state CN has been in the last couple of years.

I was just being a smartass ;D ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/15/18 at 1:10 pm

Totally agree, the CHECK it era from 2010-2014 was a short lived Renaissance. When Adventure Time and Regular Show were the main popular shows along with so many other solid shows such as Young Justice, The Looney Tunes Show, Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc, and Cartoon Planet. I would also include Toonami's revival on as part of this era.

This is a accurate definition. The Ben 10 Alien Force trilogy, and the ThunderCats reboot, which had solid art style. Even Green Lantern The Animated series got interesting.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/15/18 at 1:17 pm

Adult Swim was weird as f in the late 2000s though. It took until Rick and Morty to redeem the block in balance. Early 2000s-2004 Adult Swim any day.

I never really watched CN outside of 90s Toonami, first half of 2000s Adult Swim/Power Puff Girls, half of Adventure Time, and Rick and Morty so I don't have any real authority to speak on what the best age of CN is.

I remember the latter half of 2000s Adult Swim having a lot of uber weird/gorey/depressing shows like Tim and Eric, Metalocalypse, and Moral Orel.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/15/18 at 1:42 pm

Yeah, I don't mind if people like CN post-2004. I just wasn't feeling it after 2004, with the exception of Foster's Home.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 1:58 pm

Yeah including show's like MAD and Cartoon Planet was lit i remember watching it every friday in 2013.
I remember that i got cable again around late 2012 because we moved in Spring of that year and i just stuck to Vortexx since there was no cable, i got excited and i was happy asf i remember watching Gumball that day and i really miss 2012-13 CN though i still remember that day also.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/15/18 at 2:00 pm

I never really watched Cartoon Network. I was more of a Nickelodeon person lol.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 2:04 pm

I was more Cartoon Network i did watch Nickelodeon also i remember the Summer of 2013 bumpers they had and they use to air reruns ICarly back in 2013 also.

I stopped watching Nick for about a year once in 2016 because i thought it just got bad and it got boring and just stuck to Cartoon Network until Cartoon Network decided to spam TTG all over the place between Late 2016 and the rest of 2017 i decided to watch Nickelodeon again and i'm glad i did since new cartoons like the Loud House was on the network and Spongebob got better.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 2:22 pm

Who remembers when Dish Network took removes Cartoon Network in 2014?

Written By: Howard on 05/15/18 at 2:35 pm

I used to like Nickelodeon when it aired You Can't Do That On Television back in The 90's.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 4:16 pm

Yeah, I don't mind if people like CN post-2004. I just wasn't feeling it after 2004, with the exception of Foster's Home.

That was the biggest weakness of CN post 2004, its original programming taking a huge dip in quality. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ben 10 were the only solid shows from that time that maintained huge success. The rest were either too underrated, mediocre or cancelled too soon. I always say this, but the CN City era (mid 00's we're talking about here) was very fortunate that shows that premiered late in the previous era such as Codename: KND, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Teen Titans had the majority of its episodes during that time (CN City). Plus, Ed, Edd n Eddy continued throughout that era as well. I loved 2005 Cartoon Network tho. The shows that were around including new ones that premiered. Toonami's Saturday night lineup was lit. Miguzi was good. The overall variety was still epic. Although I would still take 2002-2004 over 2005 any day, but the 2005 Toonami lineup was probably my favorite I'm not gonna lie.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 4:21 pm

Honestly I didn't really care, but for me it was mainly Cartoon Network and Disney. Meaning that I switched around Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, or Toon Disney. Kids WB sometimes. I mainly watched Nickelodeon with my cousins throughout some weekends, but I do remember Noggin (with Feetface hosting), The N, Snick, TeenNick, Nicktoons TV (before it was Nicktoons Network), and Nick Gas.

Written By: Wobo on 05/15/18 at 4:33 pm

Honestly I didn't really care, but for me it was mainly Cartoon Network and Disney. Meaning that I switched around Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, or Toon Disney. Kids WB sometimes. I mainly watched Nickelodeon with my cousins throughout some weekends, but I do remember Noggin (with Feetface hosting), The N, Snick, TeenNick, Nicktoons TV (before it was Nicktoons Network), and Nick Gas.

For me it was mainly Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon and sometimes DisneyXD but in 2014 i would mostly watch Nicktoons and in 2012 when i didn't have cable i would watch 4kids/Vortexx and another channel i watched when not having cable was Qubo.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/15/18 at 4:33 pm

There goes my fudgeing Toonami! Thanks a lot. Who's running Comcast, Donald Trump?!

Nevermind. I just tuned in and still have CN (and still in HD, no less). Whew.

mtLpZWNyM0I

Then again, we do have Xfinity.

Still, WTF? Toonami is one of the easiest ways to get Anime in the States. And some people appreciate the sophisticated, highbrow humor of Domestic Gentleman, Richard & Mortimer, Dictator of the Hill, American Father, Robert's Hamburgers, and/or Cyborg Poultry. ;)

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/15/18 at 4:41 pm

That was the biggest weakness of CN post 2004, its original programming taking a huge dip in quality. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Ben 10 were the only solid shows from that time that maintained huge success. The rest were either too underrated, mediocre or cancelled too soon. I always say this, but the CN City era (mid 00's we're talking about here) was very fortunate that shows that premiered late in the previous era such as Codename: KND, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, and Teen Titans had the majority of its episodes during that time (CN City). Plus, Ed, Edd n Eddy continued throughout that era as well. I loved 2005 Cartoon Network tho. The shows that were around including new ones that premiered. Toonami's Saturday night lineup was lit. Miguzi was good. The overall variety was still epic. Although I would still take 2002-2004 over 2005 any day, but the 2005 Toonami lineup was probably my favorite I'm not gonna lie.

I didn't word that right. Cartoon Network was on life support by 07, official deceased by 08. Cartoon Network 2005 was lit as f. I remember the constant summer promos. The Life and Times of Juniper Lee. Like, there was just more to network to expect. I agree that Toonami was still exciting in 2005 with the hype of Naruto, Zatch Bell and Bobobo. Haha Yu Yu Hakusho was even still present if you were up at 5 or 6:00am. Cartoon Network 2006 was average and decent.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 4:45 pm

Woah, a lot of debate in here.

Anyways, I first started watching Cartoon Network in 2001/2002 (16-17 years ago) and in my personal opinion, Cartoon Network "died" in 2008.

Cartoon Network didn't "die" in 2004, IMO even if most of the original shows that came out during the mid 2000s weren't as good as the older ones.

Supposedly, CN had a renaissance in the early 2010s but I was never gripped by Adventure Time or Regular Show like a lot of others were.

There was only one CN show during the early 2010s that I really liked and that was Young Justice. Other than that, CN has been "meh" since 2008.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 5:12 pm

I didn't word that right. Cartoon Network was on life support by 07, official deceased by 08. Cartoon Network 2005 was lit as f. I remember the constant summer promos. The Life and Times of Juniper Lee. Like, there was just more to network to expect. I agree that Toonami was still exciting in 2005 with the hype of Naruto, Zatch Bell and Bobobo. Haha Yu Yu Hakusho was even still present if you were up at 5 or 6:00am. Cartoon Network 2006 was average and decent.

Yeah, when Toonami on CN ended in 2008 that was the nail in the coffin, and I think everybody over 18 on here remembers that. It was just getting worse throughout 2007 while the last good shows around were ending. Total Drama Island was the biggest positive out of 2008 CN though, that was an amazing reality cartoon show. One thing I'll give credit for is despite all the good or bad CN went through over the years, at least there was always something or a few. From 2015-present, there has hardly been any original creativity but reboots or spin-off shows.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 5:13 pm

Woah, a lot of debate in here.

Anyways, I first started watching Cartoon Network in 2001/2002 (16-17 years ago) and in my personal opinion, Cartoon Network "died" in 2008.

Cartoon Network didn't "die" in 2004, IMO even if most of the original shows that came out during the mid 2000s weren't as good as the older ones.

https://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/emoji-one/104/thumbs-up-sign_emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type-6_1f44d-1f3ff_1f3ff.png

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/15/18 at 5:14 pm

Basically, I would say CN kinda died in 2006 when the Re-Animated movie came out, which signaled their new live-action direction. It came back to life in 2010 with a renaissance of all these new shows. Then in 2016, it's died again due to a lack of creativity with crappy reboots and 95% TTGO reruns. Luckily, by 2020, the cycle will repeat itself and a new revolutionary cartoon like Adventure Time will come out and give CN another shot in the arm.

It's hard to believe, but the Gen Z kid era is coming to an end soon I think, and the Gen Alpha era is going to begin by 2020. I wonder what the style of the new generation's cartoons will be; Gen Z had that "Calarts noodle limb" style of Adventure Time which some are tired of.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/15/18 at 5:17 pm

The overall variety was still epic. Although I would still take 2002-2004 over 2005 any day, but the 2005 Toonami lineup was probably my favorite I'm not gonna lie.

Say no more brother! Loved the 2003-2006 era of Toonami, or simply the TOM 3 Era. But, 2005 was definitely the pinnacle for the TOM 3 Era, and arguably one of my favorite years for the Toonami block, arguably of all time! 2002, 2003, 2006, and even more recently in 2017 are all honorable mentions for great years as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 5:18 pm

Say no more brother! Loved the 2003-2006 era of Toonami, or simply the TOM 3 Era. But, 2005 was definitely the pinnacle for the TOM 3 Era, and arguably one of my favorite years for the Toonami block, arguably of all time! 2002, 2003, 2006, and even more recently in 2017 are all honorable mentions for great years as well.

Woah hell naw bruh I was about to say but then I realized you were talking about Toonami on okay then  ;)

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/15/18 at 5:21 pm

Hey Zelda, I sent you a second pm before, could you reply to that?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 5:59 pm

Cartoon Network is now the "Teen Titans Go! Network" anyways.

It's sad. CN was my favorite channel growing up. Now, I don't even watch it.

Part of it is obviously, I've grown up and I'm adult now but the other part of it is because the cartoons on CN now just aren't good IMO.

Written By: nally on 05/15/18 at 6:13 pm

I haven't watched it lately anyways, due to "classic" cartoon shows not being shown on there anymore. (And by classic, I'm talking about very old cartoons like Looney Tunes and MGM toons.)

Part of it is obviously, I've grown up and I'm adult now but the other part of it is because the cartoons on CN now just aren't good IMO.

Same with me...and the stuff on CN now doesn't interest me anyways.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 6:19 pm

I haven't watched it lately anyways, due to "classic" cartoon shows not being shown on there anymore. (And by classic, I'm talking about very old cartoons like Looney Tunes and MGM toons.)

To me it's no surprise you probably watched Cartoon Network for its classic Hanna-Barbera, MGM, and WB cartoons from the 30's-80's considering that you grew up during the Saturday Morning cartoon era, but I did enjoy LOONEY TUNES and Duck Dodgers on Cartoon Network. Just look at my avatar LOL. I prefered Looney Tunes over Tom & Jerry although I enjoyed both. I didn't care for most Hanna-Barbera cartoons TBH except for Scooby-Doo and a couple others. The Flintstones and Jetsons bored me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 6:22 pm

Same with me...and the stuff on CN now doesn't interest me anyways.

Same here!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 6:23 pm

To me it's no surprise you probably watched Cartoon Network for its classic Hanna-Barbera, MGM, and WB cartoons from the 30's-80's considering that you grew up during the Saturday Morning cartoon era, but I did enjoy LOONEY TUNES and Duck Dodgers on Cartoon Network. Just look at my avatar LOL. I prefered Looney Tunes over Tom & Jerry although I enjoyed both. I didn't care for most Hanna-Barbera cartoons TBH except for Scooby-Doo and a couple others. The Flintstones and Jetsons bored me.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ee850bd1a6c4471f9b3a0a17919c18e4/tenor.gif?itemid=5834464

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/15/18 at 6:25 pm

The part that you grew up isn't really excusing. If I was 27 when Cartoon Network was in its prime, I would have still watched the sh!t out of it. I still want a Toonami only network for that reason.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 6:26 pm

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ee850bd1a6c4471f9b3a0a17919c18e4/tenor.gif?itemid=5834464

LMAO!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can't stop!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 6:27 pm

The part that you grew up isn't really excusing. If I was 27 when Cartoon Network was in its prime, I would have still watched the sh!t out of it. I still want a Toonami only network for that reason.

That's why I said "the other part of it is because the cartoons on CN now just aren't good IMO."

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 6:28 pm

LMAO!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can't stop!

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/laugh.gif

Written By: mqg96 on 05/15/18 at 6:29 pm

But honestly the humor of a lot of those Hanna Barbera shows were way over my head and appealed to adults who grew up with those when they were kids. The type of vibe The Flintstones characters gave just weren't for me.

Written By: nally on 05/15/18 at 6:30 pm

Same here!

The network even launched Boomerang, a "spinoff" channel that did air classic cartoon shows when it became a standalone channel sometime in the 2000s... but it later inherited CN's "original" shows. And these days I cannot watch Boomerang because my provider would charge extra to see it (along with other "unsubscribed" channels that aren't premiums).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 6:42 pm

But honestly the humor of a lot of those Hanna Barbera shows were way over my head and appealed to adults who grew up with those when they were kids. The type of vibe The Flintstones characters gave just weren't for me.

Fair enough.

I loved The Flintstones and The Jetsons. I also liked most of the other HB cartoons.

Interestingly enough, Scooby Doo, Where Are You? was the HB cartoon I liked the least. I found it to be boring :P.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/15/18 at 6:52 pm

The network even launched Boomerang, a "spinoff" channel that did air classic cartoon shows when it became a standalone channel sometime in the 2000s... but it later inherited CN's "original" shows. And these days I cannot watch Boomerang because my provider would charge extra to see it (along with other "unsubscribed" channels that aren't premiums).

Well, that sucks.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/15/18 at 10:04 pm

Like I said before, CN will probably get another shot in the arm by 2020 with another show like Adventure Time to save them.

Written By: nally on 05/15/18 at 11:31 pm

Well, that sucks.

Yeah, Boomerang is one of the select channels that we're "not currently subscribed to."

Written By: Howard on 05/16/18 at 2:59 pm

So why don't you watch Adult Swim instead?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/16/18 at 3:40 pm

So why don't you watch Adult Swim instead?

Adult Swim doesn't have anything I want to watch.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/17/18 at 9:30 am

The type of vibe The Flintstones characters gave just weren't for me.

I can relate to this so hard. Aside from classic Cartoon Network shows, I can't stand the vibes from most cartoons of other networks. Cartoon Network completely mastered how to create timeless cartoon vibes.

Written By: nally on 05/17/18 at 8:05 pm

I can relate to this so hard. Aside from classic Cartoon Network shows, I can't stand the vibes from most cartoons of other networks.

I can't either, but then again I haven't really watched any animated shows from within the past ten years (except Phineas & Ferb, a Disney Channel original series that has also been shown on DisneyXD).

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/17/18 at 9:48 pm

I can't either, but then again I haven't really watched any animated shows from within the past ten years (except Phineas & Ferb, a Disney Channel original series that has also been shown on DisneyXD).

Disney Channel didn't have timeless shows until the 2000s. If it isn't Timon and Pumbaa or Aladdin, I'm not watching any Disney cartoon before 1999.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/28/18 at 11:28 pm

Dragon Ball Super is scheduled to be replacing King of The Hill, Adult Swim and will begin airing at 8pm on weekdays next week.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/28/18 at 11:58 pm

Disney Channel didn't have timeless shows until the 2000s. If it isn't Timon and Pumbaa or Aladdin, I'm not watching any Disney cartoon before 1999.

Well, it's hard to have a timeless cartoon when you're only showing it to certain people.

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/29/18 at 2:31 am

I can't say when Cartoon Network "died" because that's a very subjective opinion, but I mainly watched it during its Powerhouse era (1997 to 2004), which corresponded with my elementary school years. Beyond that, I didn't watch it as much anymore except for Adult Swim. Powerhouse with its fun bumpers and music was just way more memorable for me than whatever came afterward.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIz8fCszsnc

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/29/18 at 9:30 am

Well, it's hard to have a timeless cartoon when you're only showing it to certain people.

I was biased. Disney has a cult following.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/29/18 at 11:56 am

Makes sense. CN hasn't been worthwhile for about a decade now.

Like I said before, CN will probably get another shot in the arm by 2020 with another show like Adventure Time to save them.

Implying Adventure time saved them. The ratings were already declining.

Written By: Dude111 on 06/29/18 at 8:07 pm

Ya but disney channel is crapola now....With commecials and mostly not good stuff on!

Written By: nally on 06/30/18 at 12:00 am

Yeah, that's true.

But the 'Disney Afternoon' lineup of the 90's had various shows that I would consider "timeless" in my point of view. Those were later shown on Toon Disney which is now defunct. :( But then again everyone has their own set of things they consider "timeless."

Written By: nally on 06/30/18 at 12:02 am

Makes sense. CN hasn't been worthwhile for about a decade now.

Probably longer than that from my perspective. By the time my household first got cable, in the early 00's, I was already in my early twenties and did not find any of its original shows the least bit interesting.

Written By: piecesof93 on 01/28/20 at 8:37 am

Basically, I would say CN kinda died in 2006 when the Re-Animated movie came out, which signaled their new live-action direction. It came back to life in 2010 with a renaissance of all these new shows. Then in 2016, it's died again due to a lack of creativity with crappy reboots and 95% TTGO reruns. Luckily, by 2020, the cycle will repeat itself and a new revolutionary cartoon like Adventure Time will come out and give CN another shot in the arm.

It's hard to believe, but the Gen Z kid era is coming to an end soon I think, and the Gen Alpha era is going to begin by 2020. I wonder what the style of the new generation's cartoons will be; Gen Z had that "Calarts noodle limb" style of Adventure Time which some are tired of.

Are your predictions coming true?

Written By: man 2000 on 01/28/20 at 3:05 pm

Adventure Time didn't save CN, if anything it ruin it even further. I doubt Cartoon Network will have anymore good shows anymore and the new tv shows sucked, the cartoon network was at it's best in the 90s and early 2000s, it went donehill around 2003-2004 and hasn't gotten any better since.

I don't see the 2020s being any better for Cartoon Network either.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/28/20 at 3:22 pm

Adventure Time didn't save CN, if anything it ruin it even further. I doubt Cartoon Network will have anymore good shows anymore and the new tv shows sucked, the cartoon network was at it's best in the 90s and early 2000s, it went donehill around 2003-2004 and hasn't gotten any better since.

This post is completely false. I say that as a person who wasn't even a "fan" of Adventure Time (I thought it was just OK, didn't watch it much).

Also, Cartoon Network absolutely did NOT go downhill in 2003/2004. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Written By: man 2000 on 01/29/20 at 4:25 am

This post is completely false. I say that as a person who wasn't even a "fan" of Adventure Time (I thought it was just OK, didn't watch it much).

Also, Cartoon Network absolutely did NOT go downhill in 2003/2004. That's absolutely ridiculous.

My post is not false. It is ridiculous to actually believe  that Cartoon Network didn't go downhill around 2003/2004, Adventure Time wasn't really a good show and it wasn't that popular enough to even save Cartoon Network ratings.

CN has been declining in ratings since the 2000s and it gotten worst in the 2010s. I don't see Cartoon Network getting anybetter in the 2020s decade either.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/29/20 at 5:17 am

I don't see the 2020s being any better for Cartoon Network either.

Adventure Time and Regular Show (together) did save CN from the hell hole it was in throughout the late 00's, so you're completely incorrect about that on so many levels. Cartoon Network's current dark age has been going on since Teen Titans Go! and other reboots started being played too much around 2015 while Adventure Time & Regular Show were rarely being played anymore, and with those shows ended now, the network hasn't recovered ever since.

Whether you believe CN went downhill in 2004 or not is a matter of opinion and age. The City Era (2004-2006) was a really good era and underrated, there were still plenty of hit shows on Cartoon Network throughout the time (like Foster's Home, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, EE&E, Ben 10), no it wasn't on the same level as the previous 1997-2004 era but it was still decent enough.

Actually, if you wanna be honest about CN going into the 2020's, I don't see any hope for this network as well as other kid networks. We have moved on into the streaming service era, and honestly, there's so many great animated shows you can find on Netflix, Disney Plus, the upcoming HBO Max, and other streaming services combined, so there's basically no point of having kid networks anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if those died this decade. It's a cycle. It was Saturday Morning cartoon blocks between the 60's-80's, then the 90's was the transition from Saturday Morning cartoon blocks to cable TV kid networks, then by the 00's it was full force cable TV kid networks. Now we are currently in the transition from cable TV kid networks to just streaming services in general. Kids of today don't really care about CN, Nick, or Disney like millennials and early Gen Z'ers did.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/29/20 at 12:06 pm

My post is not false. It is ridiculous to actually believe  that Cartoon Network didn't go downhill around 2003/2004, Adventure Time wasn't really a good show and it wasn't that popular enough to even save Cartoon Network ratings.

CN has been declining in ratings since the 2000s and it gotten worst in the 2010s. I don't see Cartoon Network getting anybetter in the 2020s decade either.

Yeah, this post shows that you really don't know much. LOL, Adventure Time had HUGE ratings, I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, you can just go away with that nonsense of CN going downhill in 2003/2004. That statement is beyond stupid.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/29/20 at 12:12 pm

Adventure Time and Regular Show (together) did save CN from the hell hole it was in throughout the late 00's, so you're completely incorrect about that on so many levels. Cartoon Network's current dark age has been going on since Teen Titans Go! and other reboots started being played too much around 2015 while Adventure Time & Regular Show were rarely being played anymore, and with those shows ended now, the network hasn't recovered ever since.

Whether you believe CN went downhill in 2004 or not is a matter of opinion and age. The City Era (2004-2006) was a really good era and underrated, there were still plenty of hit shows on Cartoon Network throughout the time (like Foster's Home, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Billy & Mandy, Codename: KND, EE&E, Ben 10), no it wasn't on the same level as the previous 1997-2004 era but it was still decent enough.

Most people from what I've seen view the CN City Era and Powerhouse Era to be about equal in quality. It usually depends of when the person is born on how much they favor one era or the other. Most of the people that say Cartoon Network declined in 2004 was born before 1995.

Personally, for me, I liked the CN City era slightly more than the Powerhouse Era because the CN City Era was when I was 5-7/8 years old, I have more memories of it and I loved the aesthetic of the CN City bumpers. However, I definitely have memories of the Powerhouse Era as well and it was great.

Written By: man 2000 on 02/12/20 at 1:44 am

Actually, if you wanna be honest about CN going into the 2020's, I don't see any hope for this network as well as other kid networks. We have moved on into the streaming service era, and honestly, there's so many great animated shows you can find on Netflix, Disney Plus, the upcoming HBO Max, and other streaming services combined, so there's basically no point of having kid networks anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if those died this decade. It's a cycle. It was Saturday Morning cartoon blocks between the 60's-80's, then the 90's was the transition from Saturday Morning cartoon blocks to cable TV kid networks, then by the 00's it was full force cable TV kid networks. Now we are currently in the transition from cable TV kid networks to just streaming services in general. Kids of today don't really care about CN, Nick, or Disney like millennials and early Gen Z'ers did.

Most people from what I've seen view the CN City Era and Powerhouse Era to be about equal in quality. It usually depends of when the person is born on how much they favor one era or the other. Most of the people that say Cartoon Network declined in 2004 was born before 1995.

Personally, for me, I liked the CN City era slightly more than the Powerhouse Era because the CN City Era was when I was 5-7/8 years old, I have more memories of it and I loved the aesthetic of the CN City bumpers. However, I definitely have memories of the Powerhouse Era as well and it was great.

Yeah, this post shows that you really don't know much. LOL, Adventure Time had HUGE ratings, I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, you can just go away with that nonsense of CN going downhill in 2003/2004. That statement is beyond stupid.

Your statement is the one beyond stupid and dumb. First of all your post is nonsense and don't make any darn sense what so ever. Adventure Time and Regular show were ok, but they weren't that great and they didn't save CN, i know more then you put together, CN went to hell around 2003/2004 era weather you believe it or not.

CN was the best in the 90s and early 2000s, it lost all of it's original feel around the 2003/2004 era and it gotten worst in 2006-2008. The 2020s are not going be any better for CN either.

I'm not suprise why Comcast remove CN from their lineup because the network sucks now and barely has any good shows worth watching now.

Everyone has a darn right to voice their opinions weather you like it or not.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/12/20 at 2:41 am

Your statement is the one beyond stupid and dumb. First of all your post is nonsense and don't make any darn sense what so ever. Adventure Time and Regular show were ok, but they weren't that great and they didn't save CN, i know more then you put together, CN went to hell around 2003/2004 era weather you believe it or not.

CN was the best in the 90s and early 2000s, it lost all of it's original feel around the 2003/2004 era and it gotten worst in 2006-2008. The 2020s are not going be any better for CN either.

I'm not suprise why Comcast remove CN from their lineup because the network sucks now and barely has any good shows worth watching now.

Everyone has a darn right to voice their opinions weather you like it or not.

Your post had terrible English and a terrible opinion.

Cartoon Network was at its best from 1997-2007. Those 10 years were the best years in Cartoon Network's history, IMO. If Cartoon Network sucked after 2003, then it wouldn't be a channel anymore.

Also, I didn't particularly care for either Adventure Time or Regular Show but they were SUPER popular shows and most definitely "saved" the network after the 2007 Boston bomb scare and the debut of CN Real in 2009. Just because you didn't care for CN after 2003 doesn't mean that it was a bad channel.

Written By: man 2000 on 02/12/20 at 11:46 am

Your post had terrible English and a terrible opinion.

Cartoon Network was at its best from 1997-2007. Those 10 years were the best years in Cartoon Network's history, IMO. If Cartoon Network sucked after 2003, then it wouldn't be a channel anymore.

Also, I didn't particularly care for either Adventure Time or Regular Show but they were SUPER popular shows and most definitely "saved" the network after the 2007 Boston bomb scare and the debut of CN Real in 2009. Just because you didn't care for CN after 2003 doesn't mean that it was a bad channel.

Your english is the one that is terrible and your opinions sucks.

Adventure Time and Regular Show weren't that great as you trying to make them be and they did not saved CN which is total nonsense of your's.

The 2003/2004/2006-2008 weren't really good year's for CN, but they still had much better shows like Grim Adventures/ Foster's/Justice League/Megas XLR/Camp Lazlo, these are all of the ones i know that did help CN to be saved.

Get your facts right and try to post a little bit more better next time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/12/20 at 12:24 pm

Your english is the one that is terrible and your opinions sucks.

Adventure Time and Regular Show weren't that great as you trying to make them be and they did not saved CN which is total nonsense of your's.

The 2003/2004/2006-2008 weren't really good year's for CN, but they still had much better shows like Grim Adventures/ Foster's/Justice League/Megas XLR/Camp Lazlo, these are all of the ones i know that did help CN to be saved.

Get your facts right and try to post a little bit more better next time.

LOL, your comeback was the epitome of "I know you are but what am I".

You're a weirdo. There was nothing wrong with my grammar. You misspelled multiple words.

Anyways, you're not going to continue this act. I'm giving you a warning. You think that your opinion is law and have insulted me from the beginning. I will close this thread so that your annoying trolling will stop.

If you do this in other threads, we'll have a BIG problem.

Check for new replies or respond here...