inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it truly still the early millennium?

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/19/18 at 12:40 pm

I won't completely ignore the consideration of it but I disagree with it. That early "millennium" distinct ended by 2002 at the most for me. If you watch a movie, music video or tv show by 03, you can see the spark is clearly gone. I like to look at 2004 as the actual completion though.

Even artists that released hits by then such as Aaliyah, were the last to capture the sound.

Subject: Re: Is it truly still the early millennium?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/19/18 at 2:48 pm

This song has a strong "Y2K" flair. That upbeat, "you only live once" pop-rock quality. It was released in 2003.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7t3cnuitJI

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/19/18 at 2:52 pm

On the grand scale of things, the "early" millennium won't be over for a few centuries.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/18 at 3:14 pm

This song has a strong "Y2K" flair. That upbeat, "you only live once" pop-rock quality. It was released in 2003.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7t3cnuitJI

Written By: Slim95 on 05/19/18 at 9:01 pm

Yes we are super, super early in the millennium right now. We're only 0.018% through the millennium as of 2018.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/19/18 at 9:14 pm

No, I'm late now.

Written By: Dundee on 05/20/18 at 4:31 am

What is this question even, of course it is. 18 years is absolutely nothing in a batch of 1000 years.

I think you meant the "Y2K period" which isn't the same term at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 7:00 am

Round and round in circles, live a life of solitude, 'till we find ourselves a partner someone to relate to, Then we slow down, before we fall down.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/20/18 at 9:31 am

Nah. The new millennium is a celebration not too many get to experience. Its like new years but more specific. The term wouldn't exist otherwise.

Its just simply the "2010s" now and onwards will repeat the same continuum. The "new millennium" is just the opener of the next. Don't get it twisted.

Written By: Dundee on 05/20/18 at 11:58 am

Nah. The new millennium is a celebration not too many get to experience. Its like new years but more specific. The term wouldn't exist otherwise.

Its just simply the "2010s" now and onwards will repeat the same continuum. The "new millennium" is just the opener of the next. Don't get it twisted.
https://media.giphy.com/media/lBm6rHWoBEpaw/giphy.gif

Written By: ofkx on 05/20/18 at 9:04 pm

Well, we're only 18 years into the millennium, so we're definitely in the very, very early millennium.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/21/18 at 10:24 am

Well, we're only 18 years into the millennium, so we're definitely in the very, very early millennium.

The low key early millennium.

Millennium 2000 had the real spark.

Written By: exodus08 on 05/21/18 at 11:35 am

Yes the Y2k feel has been gone Since 2001 after 9/11 not really sure about other countries.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/21/18 at 11:47 am

Y2K and the millennium and two separate things.

Y2K was both the excitement and fear of the upcoming 3rd millennium in the late '90s (especially 1999). That vibe and feel has been over since September 11th, 2001.

The millennium that we are in is currently the 3rd millennium and the 3rd millennium won't end until the year 3000. Based on that, yes, we are still in the early millennium.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/30/18 at 3:04 pm

I think you don't hit the middle phase of a century until, well the middle. We look at the 1910s as the early 20th century, right? Same principle for me now. Which is sad. I'm 27. Young enough to probably see some advances but too old to probably live to see The Jetsons or Star Trek become reality.

Written By: Wobo on 05/30/18 at 3:20 pm

The 1900's, 1910's, 1920's had the early 20th century feel until 1929 when the great depression hit.

The 1930's was when the great depression was happening, so I'd be a transitional era between the early and mid 20th century.

1940's and 1950's would culturally be the mid 20th century, after the depression, before the modern era.

The 1960's was the start of the modern era and that, the 70's, 80's, and the 90's until about 1997 when the dot.com bubble start would be the late 20th century culturally.

The 21st century culturally started around 1997 or 1998.

Yeah i think the mid 20th century started around 1939 with the beginning of WW2.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 05/30/18 at 5:34 pm

What would you guys define as the "turn of the century/millennium" era?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/18 at 5:35 pm

What would you guys define as the "turn of the century/millennium" era?

The Y2K era.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 05/30/18 at 5:54 pm

The Y2K era.

My first question was worded poorly. I asking which parts of the late 20th century and early 21st century would you include as a transitional period into the 21st century/3rd millenium. Like 1990 to 2010 for example, since that time period was the very end of the 20th century and the very beginning of the 21st. The Y2k era was more of a cultural thing. I'm just asking numerically which years would you include. 

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/30/18 at 6:11 pm

My first question was worded poorly. I asking which parts of the late 20th century and early 21st century would you include as a transitional period into the 21st century/3rd millenium. Like 1990 to 2010 for example, since that time period was the very end of the 20th century and the very beginning of the 21st. The Y2k era was more of a cultural thing. I'm just asking numerically which years would you include.

OH OK.

I would say 1990-2001/2002.

Check for new replies or respond here...