inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Predict 2020s fashion trends here

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/19/18 at 2:21 pm

What are your predictions for what the fashion trends of the 2020s will be for both guys and girls? We can look back at this thread in 2028 and see who was close to the mark.

Subject: Re: Predict 2020s fashion trends here

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/18 at 2:25 pm

It will be back to Paganism!

Written By: Howard on 05/19/18 at 3:15 pm

It will be back to Paganism!

What's Paganism? ???

Written By: antidote on 05/19/18 at 6:19 pm

At my school I'm noticing a late 90s comeback in clothing. First noticed it last year and it's way more widespread now. So I'm just gonna guess that if more people keep dressing like this it should be a fully established fashion movement by the time 2020 rolls around and will probably stick around for the early 20s. Also, the whole emo Soundcloud rapper aesthetic might stick around for the early 20s too. There's only a year and a half until 2020 so I don't see any reason why arbitrary year numbers would stop these trends from growing.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 05/19/18 at 6:49 pm

Hmm... well, as someone here just mentioned, 90s fashion has been seeping back in throughout this decade, though it's especially noticeable this year (even music videos such as "Finesse" give off this sort of vibe.)  I suspect that we'll be seeing a bit of a comeback in terms of 2000s fashion - there's already a lot more early 2000s nostalgia right now, and the 2000s as a whole are a decade that someone my age (13,) did not truly experience, and likely does not remember well, in the same way that many people do not remember the 1980s and 1990s. 

I expect a sort of rise against the hipster fashion that was popular during this decade.  I do think that 1980s fashion trends/nostalgia will also start to go out of style in mainstream media. 

Written By: antidote on 05/19/18 at 7:40 pm

Hmm... well, as someone here just mentioned, 90s fashion has been seeping back in throughout this decade, though it's especially noticeable this year (even music videos such as "Finesse" give off this sort of vibe.)  I suspect that we'll be seeing a bit of a comeback in terms of 2000s fashion - there's already a lot more early 2000s nostalgia right now, and the 2000s as a whole are a decade that someone my age (13,) did not truly experience, and likely does not remember well, in the same way that many people do not remember the 1980s and 1990s. 

I expect a sort of rise against the hipster fashion that was popular during this decade.  I do think that 1980s fashion trends/nostalgia will also start to go out of style in mainstream media.

There is definitely going to be a backlash against hipster fashion in the 20s. Gen Z is already sort of a backlash against Millennial trends as a whole so far, being noticeably more conservative politically than Millennials and having rap and "bedroom pop" type music dominate their musical tastes rather than mainstream pop music on the radio. I've also noticed that a lot of those on the older side of Gen Z who could possibly qualify as Millennials (1996-2001 kids) avoid the Millennial label like the plague. They absolutely won't associate with it whatsoever.

All in all it's probably going to shape up to be a 90s type situation: a decade's identity forming as a result of a rejection of the previous decade's culture. We're in 2018, and that rejection is already happening.

Also, 80s nostalgia is definitely coming to an end. To a lot of people I know the 80s are in cringe territory. Stranger Things is the last leg of the 80s revival. Then I guess it's back to the 80s being uncool.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 05/19/18 at 10:37 pm

There is definitely going to be a backlash against hipster fashion in the 20s. Gen Z is already sort of a backlash against Millennial trends as a whole so far, being noticeably more conservative politically than Millennials and having rap and "bedroom pop" type music dominate their musical tastes rather than mainstream pop music on the radio. I've also noticed that a lot of those on the older side of Gen Z who could possibly qualify as Millennials (1996-2001 kids) avoid the Millennial label like the plague. They absolutely won't associate with it whatsoever.

All in all it's probably going to shape up to be a 90s type situation: a decade's identity forming as a result of a rejection of the previous decade's culture. We're in 2018, and that rejection is already happening.

Also, 80s nostalgia is definitely coming to an end. To a lot of people I know the 80s are in cringe territory. Stranger Things is the last leg of the 80s revival. Then I guess it's back to the 80s being uncool.

I certainly agree with everything said!  That, and I'd factor in the fact that many, many people, my age and older, hate this decade, so I'd be surprised at this point if there weren't a gigantic backlash of it during the 2020s.

And it's quite interesting that you've met many people who find the 80s uncool!  Many of my school friends are fans of 'Stranger Things,' but aside from that find the 80s to be cheesy and, as you said, cringe territory.  Actually, in spite of the popularity of Stranger Things, and the large amount of 80s nostalgia for fashion trends and film in the media, I don't truly believe that I've ever really met any middle or high school-er who wants for 80s fashion trends to return.  Ever since around 2014, it seems to me that Millennial's and Gen Z have been rooting for the 90s fashion trends to return, though no one I know has a problem with 80s nostalgia.

On the topic of 2020s fashion trends, I actually recall from a thread a while back when I was speaking to people on a different site that many people were rooting against 2000s fashion returning in our upcoming decade.  I seem to remember that people (of course, I was primarily speaking to people in their 20s, so I spoke to Millennial's,) were rooting for "emo/scene fashion" to make a comeback, some felt that "Juicy" fashion had a "trashy kind of innocence" to it and said they would not mind a return, and someone said "maximalism as reactionary to minimalism."  Interestingly, many told me that they felt that this decade has not been defined by any specific fashion trends - or that they felt this decade was only defined by 80s and 90s comeback trends as opposed too any new kind of fashion - and said that they think the 2020s will be as "over the place as this decade has been."  So there definitely seem to be a lot of different opinions on how 2020s fashion trends will look, but I think we can definitely count on more 90s/2000s fashion trends making a return for certain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 8:44 am

What's Paganism? ???
Paganism is a term that covers a great number of spiritual and religious beliefs, and someone who follows one of these beliefs is known as a Pagan. Those in ancient times, who are called Pagans today, believed there was not just one god but a number of gods and goddesses.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 9:02 am

Not to bash but I'm unconvinced gen z is truly more conservative than gen y. I notice the backlash against "SJWs" but I don't see a backlash against liberalism in general. Interestingly enough, I notice gen z is going through a similar stage we millennials went through during the Bush years. A lot of my classmates were pretty conservative 2000-2007 but those years seemed to move everyone at least a little leftward and secular. Gen z looks like they're going through this with Trump.

I agree with the rest tho.  :)

I'm glad you notice that real 90s nostalgia is becoming cemented in our mainstream culture.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 9:10 am

I certainly agree with everything said!  That, and I'd factor in the fact that many, many people, my age and older, hate this decade, so I'd be surprised at this point if there weren't a gigantic backlash of it during the 2020s.

And it's quite interesting that you've met many people who find the 80s uncool!  Many of my school friends are fans of 'Stranger Things,' but aside from that find the 80s to be cheesy and, as you said, cringe territory.  Actually, in spite of the popularity of Stranger Things, and the large amount of 80s nostalgia for fashion trends and film in the media, I don't truly believe that I've ever really met any middle or high school-er who wants for 80s fashion trends to return.  Ever since around 2014, it seems to me that Millennial's and Gen Z have been rooting for the 90s fashion trends to return, though no one I know has a problem with 80s nostalgia.

On the topic of 2020s fashion trends, I actually recall from a thread a while back when I was speaking to people on a different site that many people were rooting against 2000s fashion returning in our upcoming decade.  I seem to remember that people (of course, I was primarily speaking to people in their 20s, so I spoke to Millennial's,) were rooting for "emo/scene fashion" to make a comeback, some felt that "Juicy" fashion had a "trashy kind of innocence" to it and said they would not mind a return, and someone said "maximalism as reactionary to minimalism."  Interestingly, many told me that they felt that this decade has not been defined by any specific fashion trends - or that they felt this decade was only defined by 80s and 90s comeback trends as opposed too any new kind of fashion - and said that they think the 2020s will be as "over the place as this decade has been."  So there definitely seem to be a lot of different opinions on how 2020s fashion trends will look, but I think we can definitely count on more 90s/2000s fashion trends making a return for certain.

I really, really, do not understand why people want 2000s fashion to come back right now. The 2000s isn't that far away and the normie fashion is not that different. Plus, the fashion was soo "suburban trashy". Let me enjoy a bit more urban before we go back to that. When we go back to that, let's take the trashy out of "suburban trashy".

Written By: Dundee on 05/20/18 at 12:07 pm

What about 3d-printed fashion becoming mainstream and widespread :D?

https://www.israel21c.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/danitpelegcollection-1168x657.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 12:21 pm

https://www.israel21c.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/danitpelegcollection-1168x657.jpg
You have to have a 3D Printer first?

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 12:24 pm

Everyone doesn't exactly look like that model. You sure you want it to become mainstream?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 12:30 pm

Everyone doesn't exactly look like that model. You sure you want it to become mainstream?  ;D
Exactly!

Written By: Howard on 05/20/18 at 12:54 pm

no one's ever going to wear that.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/18 at 12:57 pm

painted on clothes. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 1:05 pm

painted on clothes. ;D
Depends on the paint used?

Written By: Dundee on 05/20/18 at 1:23 pm

So? Doesn't have to be those exact clothings, just clothings made of 3d material. Dork dork ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 1:55 pm

painted on clothes. ;D
Dye can be still described as a paint?

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 2:07 pm

So? Doesn't have to be those exact clothings, just clothings made of 3d material. Dork dork ::)

Dork dork? haha.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 2:09 pm

Made of plastic material?

Written By: ofkx on 05/20/18 at 8:56 pm

Sunglasses from the late 90s/early 2000s are actually making a comeback.
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2018/03/09/Matrix-glasses/GettyImages-915797496.w710.h473.jpg
Not sure if this trend will last long enough into the 2020s to be considered part of it though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/18 at 4:59 am

Sunglasses from the late 90s/early 2000s are actually making a comeback.
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2018/03/09/Matrix-glasses/GettyImages-915797496.w710.h473.jpg
Not sure if this trend will last long enough into the 2020s to be considered part of it though.
If in this image, the lens for the sunglasses are too small, and the sunlight can still get to the eyes? Pointless,

Written By: Howard on 05/21/18 at 5:31 am

Depends on the paint used?

I don't know what paint they use but they say that this paint can be washed off in the shower.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/18 at 5:38 am

I don't know what paint they use but they say that this paint can be washed off in the shower.
...or in the washing machine?

Written By: Howard on 05/21/18 at 6:24 am

...or in the washing machine?

I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/18 at 7:23 am

I don't know.
How can we tell until it is put in practise?

Written By: ofkx on 05/21/18 at 12:27 pm

If in this image, the lens for the sunglasses are too small, and the sunlight can still get to the eyes? Pointless,

Fashion > comfort for some people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/18 at 12:29 pm

Fashion > comfort for some people.
Let says she has been warned?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/18 at 7:35 am

How can we tell until it is put in practice?

I think it's already in practice.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/22/18 at 5:48 pm

www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57462.0

Written By: deloresthegreat on 05/22/18 at 8:48 pm

www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57462.0

I... personally disagree with this.  That would be a pretty wild change in fashion.

Check for new replies or respond here...