inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is considered a big age difference?

Written By: Star Struck on 05/19/18 at 3:53 pm

It's not really about me. It's just something I pondered about recently involving my friend at work. He said he met this really cute girl, who is 18 years old, but he's 24 years old. He asked me if it was a big age difference and I told him that you guys are both adults, so it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I wasn't much help because he kind of stormed out a little lol Anyways, the more I thought about it, the more I began to realize it isn't really the age difference he's worried about. I think he's more worried about the "stages in life" he's in and the girl's in. What do you guys think? To be fair, this isn't a post about if he should date this girl lol This is a post about age difference and the different stages my friend would be in right now compared to this 18 year old girl. So, please, no hate.

Edit: OK, so my opinion is this:
My friend is 24, he has a steady job, graduated college, has his own place, looking for a serious relationship, has more life experiences, etc.
The girl is 18, she's gonna graduate high school next week and going to start college in the fall, has a part time job, still live with her parents, has never been in a relationship, has limited life experiences, etc.
So judging from this, my friend is worried about being too mature for her, I guess.

Subject: Re: What is considered a big age difference?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/19/18 at 4:08 pm

For dating, there's the divide 2 and add 7 rule.
So;

14-15 = 14
16-17 = 15
18-19 = 16
20-21 = 17
22-23 = 18
24-25 = 19
26-27 = 20
28-29 = 21
30-31 = 22
32-33 = 23
34-35 = 24
36-37 = 25
38-39 = 26

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/18 at 4:12 pm

Let me get my slide rule out.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/1392271710224.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/19/18 at 4:19 pm

For dating, there's the divide 2 and add 7 rule.
So;

14-15 = 14
16-17 = 15
18-19 = 16
20-21 = 17
22-23 = 18
24-25 = 19
26-27 = 20
28-29 = 21
30-31 = 22
32-33 = 23
34-35 = 24
36-37 = 25
38-39 = 26

I don't get what this is at all.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/19/18 at 4:22 pm

It's a rule for dating.
Divide your age by 2, and add 7, to see if she (or he if cougar) is old enough for you.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/19/18 at 4:36 pm

It's a rule for dating.
Divide your age by 2, and add 7, to see if she (or he if cougar) is old enough for you.

Oh. 

Written By: Star Struck on 05/19/18 at 4:55 pm

It's a rule designed to determine if you're too young to go out with someone. I think it's the "divide by 2 and add 7 rule".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/19/18 at 5:04 pm

There is 17 years difference between Carlos & I. But, I was already in my 30s when we first started dating.

Cat

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/19/18 at 5:22 pm

Dude is way better off. 18 and 24 literally show no big difference.

What the scenario I'm in at 27, I'd go out with a 20 year old if she's also interested. If the girl says yes, you damn right I'm going in. I'm lonely as f. Who said I have to be a creep if I decide to? I'd also date a older women if she appeal to me.

Your only how you act anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/18 at 5:25 pm

It's a rule designed to determine if you're too young to go out with someone. I think it's the "divide by 2 and add 7 rule".
Is it the age at the initial meeting, or as the years go by?

Written By: Star Struck on 05/19/18 at 7:42 pm

There is 17 years difference between Carlos & I. But, I was already in my 30s when we first started dating.

Cat

Oh hi. I don't think we've met. I'm Star :) Anyways, are you and Carlos still together? Yeah, I think there was a 10 year difference between my grandparents when they first started dating. One was 25 and the other 35.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/19/18 at 7:47 pm

Is it the age at the initial meeting, or as the years go by?

I think at initial meeting. Once you get older though, I think the age difference decreases over time.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/20/18 at 2:32 am

It's not a huge age difference but they are definitely in different stages in life and that is more important than age. That is essentially what keeps me from wanting to date an 18 year old. I'm not the same person I was when I was 18.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/18 at 5:43 am

My cousin married a dude 29 years older than her.

And a classmate of mine dumped her same-age hubs for a dude 33 years older.  :o

Written By: karen on 05/20/18 at 6:07 am

It's not a huge age difference but they are definitely in different stages in life and that is more important than age. That is essentially what keeps me from wanting to date an 18 year old. I'm not the same person I was when I was 18.

This I agree with.  As you get older, settled into working etc the age difference matters less. In general you need to be at a similar place in your life

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 6:53 am

Each time I see this topic I keep thinking of Anna Nicole Smith here.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/20/18 at 9:52 am

Oh hi. I don't think we've met. I'm Star :) Anyways, are you and Carlos still together? Yeah, I think there was a 10 year difference between my grandparents when they first started dating. One was 25 and the other 35.

YES, and loving every minute

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 10:01 am

O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/18 at 10:07 am

She's 18 and just about to graduate from high school and she wants to be in a relationship with a 24 year old who has steady career?

I would advise them not to date to be honest. They are at two different stages of their lives.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/20/18 at 10:21 am

She's 18 and just about to graduate from high school and she wants to be in a relationship with a 24 year old who has steady career?

I would advise them not to date to be honest. They are at two different stages of their lives.

Man your such a hero, dude. Ahahaha

The girl is probably better off with him then constantly being used by immature dudes her age.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/20/18 at 11:37 am

This whole scenario sounds good for her but not for him haha.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/18 at 12:14 pm

What he said. And for the record, we will be celebrating our 15th anniversary in October (even though we were together almost 10 years before we got married-5 of those we were living together).

Cat

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 12:20 pm

When I was 19, something like this would have been my answer. Now that I'm 31, I would tell her to go for it and as long as he doesn't mistreat her, it's none of my business.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/20/18 at 12:26 pm

That's so awesome!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 12:28 pm

So with Liesl in "The Sound of Music", she was 16 coming on 17, the boy of her attractions Rolfe would have to be half her age, and 8½ + 7 making him 15½?

Written By: Howard on 05/20/18 at 12:59 pm

Can they be friends at least? ???

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/20/18 at 1:03 pm

I'm 18 and I still feel too immature to date.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/20/18 at 2:51 pm

Funny thing, I told him that too. I said why don't be friends with her and build a bond with her over time and see if you guys share some common interests. I told him wait and see where she ends up in a few years after 18. A lot can happen between 18-24.

Written By: ofkx on 05/20/18 at 3:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5W5y5XIoSo
I feel like older guys should try to avoid dating high school girls. It kind of borders on perversion in some people's eyes, even if she's above the age of consent. (not that your friend is a pervert or anything.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/18 at 3:37 pm

Funny thing, I told him that too. I said why don't be friends with her and build a bond with her over time and see if you guys share some common interests. I told him wait and see where she ends up in a few years after 18. A lot can happen between 18-24.

Once he enters The Friend Zone it is over.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/18 at 3:37 pm

By the way, my personal age difference record was 21 years.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/18 at 3:40 pm

Once he enters The Friend Zone it is over.
Friend on FB and the rest is history?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/18 at 4:49 pm

Friend on FB and the rest is history?

No,friend in real life.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/18 at 5:36 pm

Man your such a hero, dude. Ahahaha

The girl is probably better off with him then constantly being used by immature dudes her age.

There's plenty of mature 18-20 year old males. However, most of them aren't focused on dating.

This whole scenario sounds good for her but not for him haha.

That is true lol.

When I was 19, something like this would have been my answer. Now that I'm 31, I would tell her to go for it and as long as he doesn't mistreat her, it's none of my business.

Obviously, they are free to do whatever as they are both legally adults.

I also understand your point but I personally feel that the foundation of this relationship is not stable and their relationship wouldn't last long.

If they want to.

I don't know them personally lol.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/20/18 at 5:42 pm

This is true, but if there is a mutual attraction, and the early dates are innocuous, what's the harm?  As long as there is no exploitation (which could work both ways), they should date just to see what develops

Written By: mqg96 on 05/20/18 at 6:03 pm

When I was 19, the youngest I could date is a 16 year old. When I was 20, the youngest I could date is a 17 year old. At 21 and 22 the youngest I can date is an 18 year old graduated from high school. So when I'm 24 I can still date the upcoming 18 year old's who are already graduated from high school, but let's say at 22 right now dating a 16 year old (or any girl under 18 not done with high school yet) is an absolute NO. Plain and simple.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/20/18 at 6:11 pm

When I was 19, the youngest I could date is a 16 year old. When I was 20, the youngest I could date is a 17 year old. At 21 and 22 the youngest I can date is an 18 year old graduated from high school. So when I'm 24 I can still date the upcoming 18 year old's who are already graduated from high school, but let's say at 22 right now dating a 16 year old (or any girl under 18 not done with high school yet) is an absolute NO. Plain and simple.

What is your verdict on the"divide two then add seven" rule?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/20/18 at 6:19 pm

You mean like

age 24/2 = 12 + 7 = 19. Youngest 24 year old can date is 19 year old? 

age 28/2 = 14 + 7 = 21. Youngest 28 year old can date is 21 year old?

If so then that's a pretty good way of looking at it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/18 at 6:36 pm

This is true, but if there is a mutual attraction, and the early dates are innocuous, what's the harm?  As long as there is no exploitation (which could work both ways), they should date just to see what develops

Obviously, they are free to do whatever as they are both legally adults.

I also understand your point but I personally feel that the foundation of this relationship is not stable and their relationship wouldn't last long.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/20/18 at 7:18 pm

Don't opinionate with ReighMan. He knows everything. He's the real life magic conch shell.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 05/20/18 at 7:35 pm

Interesting topic. My boyfriend was born in November 1999. He's a senior in high school. I'm 15, born in August 2002. I'm a sophomore in high school. We've been together for about a year now, and everything is working well between us.
I don't have a problem with our age gap. We grew up the same. Both of our parents are ok with it anyway.

Written By: Wobo on 05/20/18 at 7:39 pm

All i know is thaat 14 and 16 is not a age gap.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/20/18 at 7:41 pm

Interesting topic. My boyfriend was born in November 1999. He's a senior in high school. I'm 15, born in August 2002. I'm a sophomore in high school. We've been together for about a year now, and everything is working well between us.
I don't have a problem with our age gap. We grew up the same. Both of our parents are ok with it anyway.

.. There is no age gap. He's just like, 2 years older than you.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/20/18 at 8:22 pm

Don't opinionate with ReighMan. He knows everything. He's the real life magic conch shell.

Thanks, I guess ;D

Written By: Star Struck on 05/20/18 at 8:46 pm

That's great to hear! :)

Written By: Star Struck on 05/20/18 at 8:48 pm

My friend really likes this girl. I told him the same thing you said. I told him to go for it, but take it slow as she's only 18.

Written By: Star Struck on 05/20/18 at 8:50 pm

It's a pretty accurate rule.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/18 at 9:41 pm

18 and 24 is not that bad though at those ages it could be a difference for the reasons you were saying. An 18 has literally just become a legal adult so they're still in the teenage frame of mind with almost zero real world experience. Whereas the 24 year old has 6 years of adult experience under his belt, he's probably now done with school and has a real job. At 31 for me 18 seems way too young, I couldn't imagine being in my 30s and going out with someone not even old enough to drink. When I was in high school today's 18 year old was like eating baby food, learning to walk, and potty training, haha that makes me feel old!  ;D At 24 he's still not way way older than her so it's not quite as weird as it would be for me but still it could be an issue. Depends on her personal maturity and stuff.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/20/18 at 9:59 pm

Wow, He's like 2 years and 9 months older than you. That's like perfect for me.  ;D ;D

I've always preferred older guys (like a year or two older than me) I know this will widen when I get older though. I'm not really that attracted to guys my age or younger. I also prefer guys who are like a few inches taller than me.

I'm glad that your relationship is going well. I've never ever been in a relationship or kissed a boy before but that's still pretty normal at my age.  ;D ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/20/18 at 10:11 pm

I've always preferred older guys (like a year or two older than me) I know this will widen when I get older though. I'm not really that attracted to guys my age or younger. I also prefer guys who are like a few inches taller than me.

What's your height?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/20/18 at 10:14 pm

What's your height?

5'4 and a half.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/20/18 at 10:19 pm

5'4 and a half.

That's cool. Pretty average for a girl who's turning 16 this year. (but most girls have already stopped growing in height by this age right?)

As a guy at 5'11 exact, girls around 5'7 and 5'8 are the perfect height for me, but 5'4 is pretty sexy too.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/18 at 10:21 pm

5'4 and a half.

Since you're around 16 now are you driving yet?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/20/18 at 10:22 pm

Since you're around 16 now are you driving yet?

Not yet. I turn 16 on June 3rd but I'm planning to learn maybe the summer or fall of this year.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/20/18 at 10:23 pm

That's cool. Pretty average for a girl who's turning 16 this year. (but most girls have already stopped growing in height by this age right?)

As a guy at 5'11 exact, girls around 5'7 and 5'8 are the perfect height for me, but 5'4 is pretty sexy too.

I don't think I've grown in height for a while, so I guess I've stopped growing in height.  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/18 at 10:25 pm

Not yet. I turn 16 on June 3rd but I'm planning to learn maybe the summer or fall of this year.

Yeah I got my learner's permit when I was 16 (technically I could have got it at 15 1/2 in Ohio but I didn't get it till I was 16). I actually didn't get my license until March 2005 when I was nearly 18, I failed the "maneuverability" test the first time I took it and put off the driving school originally.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/20/18 at 10:34 pm

Yeah I got my learner's permit when I was 16 (technically I could have got it at 15 1/2 in Ohio but I didn't get it till I was 16). I actually didn't get my license until March 2005 when I was nearly 18, I failed the "maneuverability" test the first time I took it and put off the driving school originally.

In Georgia you are pressured you get your permit as soon as you turn 15 and get your license as soon as you turn 16  ;D

The process to get your license gets harder and harder each year. I got my permit back in Summer 2011 and got my license in Summer 2012. In order to get your license at 16 you had to take driver's ed (which I took in Spring 2012 my sophomore year), you must have a good record & GPA in high school, and you had to take a permit test of course to get your permit and wait a year and one day. When it came to the permit test, the signs test was easy but the laws part was very challenging. Then in order to get your license you have to set an appointment, collect and fill out all this paper work for state requirements, and you have to wait SEVERAL HOURS in that dreadfully boring building and those women in the driving building are mean AF. The woman who was testing my driving skills had a stuck up attitude. I got 10 points deducted for not signaling while parallel parking and I got 10 points off for not looking both ways (but I clearly looked both ways). I got an 80 because of those little things, but you must have at least a 75 to pass. If you're 18 or older you just take your driver's test and get your license, you don't need to go through this whole year and one day process.

In response to this thread, it's pretty obvious that age difference plays a HUGE role when it comes to driving skills and the maturity level. I would have never thought I'd come a long way with my experience of driving since I started practicing with my dad when I was 15. Today I'm rolling fast on the interstate and heavy Atlanta traffic each day.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/20/18 at 10:40 pm

In Georgia you are pressured you get your permit as soon as you turn 15 and get your license as soon as you turn 16  ;D

The process to get your license gets harder and harder each year. I got my permit back in Summer 2011 and got my license in Summer 2012. In order to get your license at 16 you had to take driver's ed (which I took in Spring 2012 my sophomore year), you must have a good record & GPA in high school, and you had to take a permit test of course to get your permit and wait a year and one day. When it came to the permit test, the signs test was easy but the laws part was very challenging. Then in order to get your license you have to set an appointment, collect and fill out all this paper work for state requirements, and you have to wait SEVERAL HOURS in that dreadfully boring building and those women in the driving building are mean AF. The woman who was testing my driving skills had a stuck up attitude. I got 10 points deducted for not signaling while parallel parking and I got 10 points off for not looking both ways (but I clearly looked both ways). I got an 80 because of those little things, but you must have at least a 75 to pass. If you're 18 or older you just take your driver's test and get your license, you don't need to go through this whole year and one day process.

In response to this thread, it's pretty obvious that age difference plays a HUGE role when it comes to driving skills and the maturity level. I would have never thought I'd come a long way with my experience of driving since I started practicing with my dad when I was 15. Today I'm rolling fast on the interstate and heavy Atlanta traffic each day.

So if you don't have a good GPA in high school, you just have to walk or run to your destination for the rest of your life?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/20/18 at 10:48 pm

So if you don't have a good GPA in high school, you just have to walk or run to your destination for the rest of your life?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well once you turn 18 the requirements and restrictions for driving unlike 15 and 16 years old's go down, and if you were to get your permit at 17 the "year and one day" process wouldn't apply to you. It just be a countdown until your 18th birthday. Everybody has to take the permit test and drivers test no matter what, whether they are new drivers in Georgia or people who move to Georgia.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/21/18 at 1:02 am

I'm like a long time veteran experienced and accident free driver now which means my insurance rates are now super low (one good thing about getting older). I've been driving almost as long as rainbowz has been alive!  ;D I remember my first time behind the wheel fondly and how exciting it was to be doing such a grown up thing as driving! Those are good memories.  8) Now it is just part of the daily routine haha.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/18 at 5:41 am

You start off as friends first and if things develop over time, you'll both know when you're ready for a romantic relationship.

Check for new replies or respond here...