inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is America...

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/19/18 at 6:24 pm

...is an Indictment against the 2010s.

VYOjWnS4cMY

Agree or disagree?

Subject: Re: This is America...

Written By: Wobo on 05/20/18 at 12:10 pm

Okay...?

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 12:18 pm

Okay...?

Okay....agree or disagree?

I made this thread because I think this music video is a turning point to the early 2020s.

Written By: Wobo on 05/20/18 at 12:28 pm

Okay....agree or disagree?

I made this thread because I think this music video is a turning point to the early 2020s.

How?

Written By: Wobo on 05/20/18 at 12:29 pm

No i don't think it's a indictment against the 2010s or the start of early 2020s culture.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/20/18 at 12:42 pm

How?

I think what he's criticizing is the zeitgeist of the 2010s. Mass Shootings with little to no gun control. Mass social unrest. Very little attention to important issues in pop culture. In the 90s, we had a bazillion very special episodes and psas. Almost nothing like that now despite all the issues this country faces. The veneration of black art is at an all-time high, but many who love hip-hop and RnB aren't concerned with important issues affecting black people or worst, they believe they deserve to suffer.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/20/18 at 5:56 pm

This video represents A PART of America, but this place is so damned big, and so damned diverse that no 1 video can capture it.  Ken Burns has shot millions of feet of documentaries trying to get at what America is, and he will admit that he has only scratched the surface.  America is also the Amish who drive their wagon from their farm to the local supper market every Friday, rain or shine, to sell their home baked goodies (they are great).  America is the bodega, in Burlington that sells empanadillas, or any one of many food places the sell  ethnic foods (maybe 10 or 15 different ethic restaurants in Burlington VT.  America, for all its warts, is unique and undefinable

Written By: Dundee on 05/20/18 at 6:56 pm

Stylistically, content and lyrics-wise it's definitely a recap of the 2010s when it comes to black culture. There's virtually nothing about it that leaves posterity for the hypothetical 2020s culture to come.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/10/18 at 8:06 am

This video represents A PART of America, but this place is so damned big, and so damned diverse that no 1 video can capture it.  Ken Burns has shot millions of feet of documentaries trying to get at what America is, and he will admit that he has only scratched the surface.  America is also the Amish who drive their wagon from their farm to the local supper market every Friday, rain or shine, to sell their home baked goodies (they are great).  America is the bodega, in Burlington that sells empanadillas, or any one of many food places the sell  ethnic foods (maybe 10 or 15 different ethic restaurants in Burlington VT.  America, for all its warts, is unique and undefinable

For most people it seems America is a family living in a SFH in the suburbs on a cul de sac street with 3 kids and a dog, and a SUV that the mom drives the kids to soccer practice. The parents work and go home, and on Sundays they go to church and watch football.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/18 at 1:05 pm

For most people it seems America is a family living in a SFH in the suburbs on a cul de sac street with 3 kids and a dog, and a SUV that the mom drives the kids to soccer practice. The parents work and go home, and on Sundays they go to church and watch football.

That's my life, except no cul-de-sac and no SUV.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/18 at 1:32 pm

Oh wow, this is my first time watching the MV. Really powerful :o

I don't think it has anything to do with decades, other than I can't imagine an MV like this coming out in any other time than today.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/10/18 at 2:03 pm

Oh wow, this is my first time watching the MV. Really powerful :o

I don't think it has anything to do with decades, other than I can't imagine an MV like this coming out in any other time than today.

Exactly. It's not explicitly against the 2010s but it encapsulates much of the 2010s in black America.

Check for new replies or respond here...