inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are t-shirts becoming seen as immature (If you're over 30)?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/18 at 1:00 pm

I was reading through reddit and discussions on fashion, and a common rule of thumb seems to be that if you're 30 or over, and you're wearing t-shirts, you're gonna come off immature. Would you guys say this is becoming more true IRL? I ask as a guy who will be 30 in just 2 1/2 years.

Subject: Re: Are t-shirts becoming seen as immature (If you're over 30)?

Written By: Star Struck on 05/22/18 at 1:05 pm

That's kind of stupid. So what are people 30 and over supposed to wear? I don't think it's immature. I've seen lots of people in their 30s or older wearing t-shirts.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/18 at 1:09 pm

That's kind of stupid. So what are people 30 and over supposed to wear? I don't think it's immature. I've seen lots of people in their 30s or older wearing t-shirts.

The suggestions were for flannel, well-fitted polos and casual button down shirts. Other no-nos included no cargo pants or cargo shorts, and no sneakers (except plain white ones).

Written By: Star Struck on 05/22/18 at 1:14 pm

The suggestions were for flannel, well-fitted polos and casual button down shirts. Other no-nos included no cargo pants or cargo shorts, and no sneakers (except plain white ones).

So I guess people in their 30s and older are supposed to go for that professional look. That's interesting.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/22/18 at 1:31 pm

I wouldn't say T shirts in and of themselves are the problem. They are generally fine, when in appropriate circumstances, at any age. It's this overall look I call "the schlub look" that is the problem. Baseball cap, T shirt, baggy cargo or other loose shorts and big sneakers.  This look is prevalent in American males from pre-school through midlife, and the further into their 30s, 40s and 50s one gets, the more it screams "I just don't care".

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/18 at 1:35 pm

I wouldn't say T shirts in and of themselves are the problem. They are generally fine, when in appropriate circumstances, at any age. It's this overall look I call "the schlub look" that is the problem. Baseball cap, T shirt, baggy cargo or other loose shorts and big sneakers.  This look is prevalent in American males from pre-school through midlife, and the further into their 30s, 40s and 50s one gets, the more it screams "I just don't care".

Also, what is interesting is that there is very few markers which separate older people's fashion from young people's. You, per your username, experienced the 1970s. From what I have seen of photos from the 1970s, older men wore short hair, slacks, and button down shirts or polos. If they wore facial hair it was closely clipped. Young men wore longish to long hair, fuller facial hair, jeans and sneakers. Women it seems the rules were looser. There seemed to be a definitive line between what people above and under 40 wore in the 70s whereas now, not so much.

I know my mother was born in 1954, and she considered her brother in law (who was just a few years older) a dork, because he wore glasses, dress shirts and slacks and had slicked back short hair.

Similarly, from what I understand, the only young people who wore short hair in the 70s were either guys from a very conservative background or area, in some conservative career such as the military, guys who were behind the times or nerdy, and "professionals." If it was 1970, 1972, 1974 and you were a guy with short hair and any of the above didn't apply, you weren't cool.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/22/18 at 1:54 pm

Also, what is interesting is that there is very few markers which separate older people's fashion from young people's. You, per your username, experienced the 1970s. From what I have seen of photos from the 1970s, older men wore short hair, slacks, and button down shirts or polos. If they wore facial hair it was closely clipped. Young men wore longish to long hair, fuller facial hair, jeans and sneakers. Women it seems the rules were looser. There seemed to be a definitive line between what people above and under 40 wore in the 70s whereas now, not so much.

I know my mother was born in 1954, and she considered her brother in law (who was just a few years older) a dork, because he wore glasses, dress shirts and slacks and had slicked back short hair.

Similarly, from what I understand, the only young people who wore short hair in the 70s were either guys from a very conservative background or area, in some conservative career such as the military, guys who were behind the times or nerdy, and "professionals." If it was 1970, 1972, 1974 and you were a guy with short hair and any of the above didn't apply, you weren't cool.

This is correct, there seemed much more of a dividing line between younger and older fashions back then. Some might even say it was my own generation, the Boomers, that put an end to that (for better or worse) with their refusal to get old.  But I would not say it is the Boomers who are the worst offenders of "The schlub look" of baseball cap, T shirt, baggy shorts and big sneakers.

Also,  the prevalence and dominance of the baseball cap as fashion statement is another factor in the erasure of any dividing line of age in fashion. in the 60s, 70s and even 80s pretty much nobody beyond, say, mid teens would ever wear a baseball cap unless, well, they were playing baseball, softball or a related sport. If anyone wore one otherwise they were likely to be snickered at.  That changed in the 90s when caps, like sneakers, became fashion statements and all ages started wearing them at all times. When I was much younger many older men still wore fedoras, which, in our callow youthfulness we referred to as "old men hats".

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/18 at 2:35 pm

This is correct, there seemed much more of a dividing line between younger and older fashions back then. Some might even say it was my own generation, the Boomers, that put an end to that (for better or worse) with their refusal to get old.  But I would not say it is the Boomers who are the worst offenders of "The schlub look" of baseball cap, T shirt, baggy shorts and big sneakers.

Also,  the prevalence and dominance of the baseball cap as fashion statement is another factor in the erasure of any dividing line of age in fashion. in the 60s, 70s and even 80s pretty much nobody beyond, say, mid teens would ever wear a baseball cap unless, well, they were playing baseball, softball or a related sport. If anyone wore one otherwise they were likely to be snickered at.  That changed in the 90s when caps, like sneakers, became fashion statements and all ages started wearing them at all times. When I was much younger many older men still wore fedoras, which, in our callow youthfulness we referred to as "old men hats".

I will say there I disagree. In my particular family, I've only known three hat wearers:

My father, born in 1954, sometimes wore a fedora, sometimes a straw hat, and sometimes a beret, all during the 1980s. Not daily, by any means, but he was a hat wearer. Enough to the point that at my sister's 16th birthday party in 1996 she half-jokingly thanked him for not wearing a hat. He had a full head of hair and still does.

My stepgrandfather, born in 1917, didn't play sports, but was bald and wore a ball cap daily from the 1980s through to his death in 1998. He also wore sneakers as early as 1973.

My now-ex brother in law, born in 1969, wore a ball cap almost daily. He had a decent if thinning head of hair but was insecure about it.

One thing which I see as uncommon was shorts. The only older man in my family tree who wore shorts was my grandfather, born in 1920. He wore them at least in the early 1970s. His brother born in 1912 also wore shorts. I am not sure about earlier. My grandfather also began wearing white V neck t-shirts around the same time. My stepgrandfather NEVER wore shorts, nor did my paternal grandfather, who was born in 1929. Outside of exceptions I find shorts to be a dividing line between generations.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/18 at 3:10 pm

I've seen plenty of people over the age of 30 wear T-shirts with sayings and logos on them, it's probably because they're more laid back and not as casual.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/18 at 3:18 pm

I'm in my early thirties and still dress like I'm in my latter 20s.  I'm too old for stuff like Converse/Vans shoes or logo t-shirts (especially from Aeropostale or Hollister) but more or less my fashion is still "young."  I don't feel that the minute I cross 30 I should have to start dressing like I'm 50.

Written By: karen on 05/22/18 at 4:20 pm

I've finally decide that t-shirts with a big picture or caption are probably not something to wear to work every day, but I might if it fits a particular theme for non-uniform day (I work in a school), but otherwise I wear t-shirts most days.  I dress fairly casually for work so suit blouses or other formal stuff is not what I am looking for.

My husband only really wears t-shirts around the house at weekends when slobbing around.  He will nearly always put on a shirt if we go into town, or maybe a polo shirt if it is warm.

I think you can still weaar a t-shirt and look decent at any age, as long as the t-shirt is reasonably well-fitting, not a faded, shapeless rag.

Written By: meesa on 05/22/18 at 4:52 pm

I'm 48 and I wear t shirts and red chucks almost constantly. But then, the people that know me think of me as quirky or eccentric anyway and I think they would look at me strangely if I were any different. And for those that don't know me, I couldn't care less. When we have to dress up for work, I do. If there are occasions where t shirt and chucks are not appropriate, of course I don't wear them and dress appropriately. But I feel that this idea of people over 30 having to wear a specific this or that is antiquated and slightly on the ridiculous side.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/18 at 4:01 am

Nothing wrong with wearing a T-Shirt, the item of clothing is useful on a hot summers day!

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/18 at 4:37 am

I am no longer in my 30's and i have probably over 60 T-Shirts and they are all movie, music and comic book themed.  I also own about a dozen comic book themed caps.  I don't own any polo, flannel or button down shirts because they just aren't me, and never will be.  I don't own any dress pants or dress shoes or fancy wear like that because the only time I dress up is if i have to go somewhere that is required to do so (such as a wedding or a funeral).

IMO, there is no such thing as a fashion faux pas.  People dress the way they like to and feel comfortable, and they shouldn't be chastised for doing so

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/18 at 4:54 am

IMO, there is no such thing as a fashion faux pas.  People dress the way they like to and feel comfortable, and they shouldn't be chastised for doing so
Agreed!

You are what you are, and you wear what you wear!

Written By: Howard on 05/23/18 at 2:56 pm

I'm in my early thirties and still dress like I'm in my latter 20s.  I'm too old for stuff like Converse/Vans shoes or logo t-shirts (especially from Aeropostale or Hollister) but more or less my fashion is still "young."  I don't feel that the minute I cross 30 I should have to start dressing like I'm 50.

I dress casual/professional as I enter my mid 40's, the only time I'll wear a t-shirt is when I'm home, that's when I feel comfortable.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/18 at 2:58 pm

I am no longer in my 30's and i have probably over 60 T-Shirts and they are all movie, music and comic book themed.  I also own about a dozen comic book themed caps.  I don't own any polo, flannel or button down shirts because they just aren't me, and never will be.  I don't own any dress pants or dress shoes or fancy wear like that because the only time I dress up is if i have to go somewhere that is required to do so (such as a wedding or a funeral).

I'm in my mid 40's and I enjoy dressing more casual like wearing button down dress shirts and Polo's.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/23/18 at 7:35 pm

For me, it depends on the circumstances. Fast food restaurant? T-shirt. Sit down restaurant? Button down, polo, etc.

Places I'm still debating on:
Movies
Airports

Written By: ofkx on 05/23/18 at 7:39 pm

This is the first time I've ever heard someone say this. What else are we supposed to wear ????

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/23/18 at 7:57 pm

I never'd looked at T-shirts as immature, whoever thinks that must be an old narrow-minded person who misses the "good-old-days"

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/23/18 at 9:24 pm

I wear jeans/sweats and a tee most day unless I'm going to church.
Of course it prolly looks more dressed up cause I do wear full makeup, but no one's really bitched at me for wearing one.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/18 at 5:28 am

This is the first time I've ever heard someone say this. What else are we supposed to wear ????

Whatever feels comfortable to you.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/27/18 at 2:15 am

I agree the cargo pants look sloppy on guys, but t-shirts are comfy and if they fit right they're a casual wardrobe staple. Plain white sneakers become dingy so fast and you're better off with a pair of black ones. It'll be a cold day in hell before I throw out my concert t-shirts and hoodies, but I admit to growing too old for ladies graphic tees at mall stores with the names of the brand on them and stuff teens wore in the aughts.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/27/18 at 2:49 pm

What I see a lot of these days are men or women wearing wifebeater shirts.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dd/dc/c9/dddcc936370398f599491537c96936b8.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/18 at 3:05 am

I'm in my mid 40's and I enjoy dressing more casual like wearing button down dress shirts and Polo's.

Button down shirts can look classy as long as they fit right. Polos always make guys look like they have man boobs and don't flatter anyone.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/18 at 3:04 pm

Button down shirts can look classy as long as they fit right. Polos always make guys look like they have man boobs and don't flatter anyone.

So you're saying I have man boobs? ;D

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/18 at 2:13 pm

I've been wearing t-shirts less often as I get older, and I'm only 25. I'm not sure I'd make a hard rule out of it though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 2:26 pm

I have been wearing t-shirts for over 30 years!

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/18 at 2:33 pm

I have been wearing t-shirts for over 30 years!

Plain t shirts never go out of style  8)

Some graphical t-shirts I bought as a teen though look 1) too tight on me and 2) don't go with a beard ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/01/18 at 2:34 pm

I only wear T-shirts when I get home from work just to feel comfortable, When I'm at work I dress more casual.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/02/18 at 9:23 am

I was reading through reddit and discussions on fashion, and a common rule of thumb seems to be that if you're 30 or over, and you're wearing t-shirts, you're gonna come off immature. Would you guys say this is becoming more true IRL? I ask as a guy who will be 30 in just 2 1/2 years.

What BS.  Wear whatever the hell you want.  At 72 I'm sitting here wearing a T shirt and cargo shorts, and if someone objects they can go fornicate themselves for all I care

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 9:29 am

What BS.  Wear whatever the hell you want.  At 72 I'm sitting here wearing a T shirt and cargo shorts, and if someone objects they can go fornicate themselves for all I care
...and easier to wash in a washing machine!

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/18 at 9:12 am

I've been wearing t-shirts less often as I get older, and I'm only 25. I'm not sure I'd make a hard rule out of it though.

I've dropped the t-shirts (except my plain white one). I think those fashionistas had a point. Not that wearing a t-shirt is poor form, but if you're dressing to impress then a t-shirt (unless it's a blindingly white one) will not do.

Written By: karen on 12/12/18 at 11:35 am

I am wearing a bright red t-shirt today with a picture of a cute penguin on it. Tomorrow will be a red t-shirt with a snowman on it

Written By: Howard on 12/12/18 at 1:44 pm

The only time I wear T-shirts is at home, when I'm outside I'm a casual wearer.

Check for new replies or respond here...