inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tiesto has jumped the shark

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/18 at 4:52 pm

I posted this in the music of 2018 thread but I think it deserves its own thread.

Tiesto was once the king of Trance.  He once produced masterpieces like this.

8tIgN7eICn4

And.

-qgzNwdkV4s

Now he has been reduced to collaborating with mumble rappers to produce one of the most generic radio hits I've ever heard.

6DaL-Z4dwzI

Tiesto has become a classic example of a once great artist becoming mainstream and then completely selling themselves out.

Subject: Re: Tiesto has jumped the shark

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/18 at 3:41 am

Calvin Harris and David Guetta have done the same.  It doesn't necessarily mean they jumped the shark.  They just adapted to the changing music scene

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/18 at 7:01 am

Calvin Harris and David Guetta have done the same.  It doesn't necessarily mean they jumped the shark.  They just adapted to the changing music scene
...with a lack of inspiration too?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/23/18 at 8:41 am

I would say reducing themselves to doing uninspired generic pop is adapting to a changing music scene.  The '00s equivalent of this Jackie Chan song is something like "Crank Dat Soulja Boy."  There is still a market for real EDM.

Check for new replies or respond here...