inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020 Vision: Experts Say Next Recession Looms at Decade's End

Written By: xenzue on 05/23/18 at 1:20 am

Experts largely expect the next recession to begin in 2020, in line with prior expectations expressed in the latter half of 2017. But unlike last year, experts these days are less worried that geopolitical events might tip the economy into the red, and more concerned over monetary and trade policy.

Almost half of experts recently surveyed by Zillow said they expect the next recession to begin some time in 2020.
The most likely trigger for the next recession is monetary policy, according to experts.
Mortgage underwriting standards in general are about right, panelists said. But while credit has loosened for the best borrowers, it has tightened
somewhat for those with low credit and/or a low down payment.

Subject: Re: 2020 Vision: Experts Say Next Recession Looms at Decade's End

Written By: xenzue on 05/23/18 at 1:42 am

Damn. I remember how bad the last recession fücked us up back in '09. All 5 of us slept in one mattress at a friends house, and at some point they were hosting another family too.

If anything's going to trigger a pop cultural change, its this it. Very few things change people's overall mindset like an economic recession. Maybe the change will be drastic... a big backlash against everything 2010s pop culture stood for, much like the like 90s was to the 80s.

Written By: Dundee on 05/23/18 at 6:00 am

Hopefully this one won't be as bad as the one in the late-2000s.

Nearly every decade seems to start with a recession, so I guess it's a natural thing ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/23/18 at 7:12 am

We need to wait and see first. Nobody can be 100% sure.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/18 at 7:15 am

We need to wait and see first. Nobody can be 100% sure.
Even economists do not know?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/23/18 at 8:40 am

2020 is the year I'm finally going to have the means to get out of this deadbeat Trump supporting town I have been stuck in since 2012.  This greatly concerns me because I'm worried about having to keep my life on hold even longer if there is a recession then.  I'm not getting any younger.

Written By: J. Rob on 05/23/18 at 7:11 pm

Damn. I remember how bad the last recession fücked us up back in '09. All 5 of us slept in one mattress at a friends house, and at some point they were hosting another family too.

If anything's going to trigger a pop cultural change, its this it. Very few things change people's overall mindset like an economic recession. Maybe the change will be drastic... a big backlash against everything 2010s pop culture stood for, much like the like 90s was to the 80s.

I'm actually surprised this didn't happen in the 2010s

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/24/18 at 1:13 pm

I'm actually surprised this didn't happen in the 2010s

It did happen; music and fashion especially represented a major whiplash from the guitar music and camp of the ‘00s.

Written By: antidote on 05/24/18 at 6:43 pm

It did happen; music and fashion especially represented a major whiplash from the guitar music and camp of the ‘00s.

Yeah, and I feel like as a result of that whiplash this decade took itself way too seriously sometimes. The prevailing 2010s aesthetic seems to be for everything to be "mature" and streamlined. I would actually say that the undercut being popular best represents this whiplash. It's a "mature" hairstyle compared to the longer hairstyles popular in the 00s, often associated with the emo aesthetic.

Maybe the 20s' answer to this will be for everything to be campy again. As someone still in high school, I'm already starting to notice a lot of people my age becoming nostalgic for the campy aspects of the 00s aesthetic. I think it's inevitable, everyone's going to get tired of the prevailing culture being so serious eventually.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/24/18 at 7:59 pm

To be perfectly, brutally honest, I am really gonna miss 2010s culture, especially the hipsters. It was the first wave that really felt like it made sense to who I am, even if I didn’t always like the music or the movies.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/25/18 at 1:08 am

To be perfectly, brutally honest, I am really gonna miss 2010s culture, especially the hipsters. It was the first wave that really felt like it made sense to who I am, even if I didn’t always like the music or the movies.

I really feel like this decade is coming to a close on a very dystopian note.  I know we still have 2019, which for some reason, I am hopeful for, but right now things are about as dark as I can imagine them being.  From my personal life to the national politics, it's hard for me to imagine things really being much worse.  Actually I can...I can imagine myself on my death bed with a terminal illness like brain cancer or ALS.  I can imagine US cities decimated in a nuclear attack, something I'll actually be surprised if it doesn't happen.  I think about that to try to make myself feel better about the current era.  I hate what my life has become.  I hate what this society has become.  I hate what people in my life have done to me that has caused me to end up at this point.  I hate the church that is responsible for Donald Trump being President.  I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up and everything would be different.

What are the bright spots of the current era for me?  The music.  The late '10s so far has been excellent for music, one of the best eras of my life actually.  It is actually my escape from the real world at this point.

Written By: antidote on 05/25/18 at 2:04 am

I really feel like this decade is coming to a close on a very dystopian note.  I know we still have 2019, which for some reason, I am hopeful for, but right now things are about as dark as I can imagine them being.  From my personal life to the national politics, it's hard for me to imagine things really being much worse.  Actually I can...I can imagine myself on my death bed with a terminal illness like brain cancer or ALS.  I can imagine US cities decimated in a nuclear attack, something I'll actually be surprised if it doesn't happen.  I think about that to try to make myself feel better about the current era.  I hate what my life has become.  I hate what this society has become.  I hate what people in my life have done to me that has caused me to end up at this point.  I hate the church that is responsible for Donald Trump being President.  I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up and everything would be different.

What are the bright spots of the current era for me?  The music.  The late '10s so far has been excellent for music, one of the best eras of my life actually.  It is actually my escape from the real world at this point.

Yeah, I do feel like every year gets progressively more and more dystopian. I don't see a bright future ahead for humanity to be quite honest. We'll probably make it to the mid 21st century without blowing ourselves up or going full 1984, but to think that we'll enter 2100 as a free society and not some crazy dystopia or just a plain decimated world is ridiculously optimistic to me. Everything is shaping up to fall apart. Just look at how much technology has evolved and our privacy disregarded within the last 25 years. There's no turning around, technology is only advancing quicker than ever before, and there's no stopping it from ending up in the wrong hands. Well, it already is in the wrong hands.

I'm just going with the flow and enjoying whatever good comes to me, because that's really all you can do when things keep on becoming increasingly grim throughout the world. Gotta agree that late 10s music is one of the better things about this era.

And with that being said, I'll have to say that Boomers are ridiculously privileged when it comes down to topics like this. Live through the cultural golden age of the last half of the 20th century where technology was present but not dangerously omnipresent, and die in the 2020s-30s when the world as we know it is still intact. The rest of us, if we make it to old age, will probably be looking at some overpopulated world with an extreme wealth divide and corruption all around in the 2070s-80s-90s. And that's if the world hasn't entered another dark age because of a nuclear war by then.

Written By: Wobo on 05/25/18 at 10:16 pm

I found a article saying that the 2020s might be the worst decade in U.S. history with a global financial contagion called the 'The Great Reset'
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmauldin/2018/05/24/the-2020s-might-be-the-worst-decade-in-u-s-history/2/#45d0450d40ea

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 05/25/18 at 10:17 pm

I'm PRAYING that this is all will be completely wrong! XC The Late 2010s have set a wonderful start for the 2020s, I don't need a recession to ruin everything!  :\'(

Usagi-chan

Written By: Slim95 on 05/25/18 at 10:20 pm

It won't happen. If anything the economy will only improve, at least here. Oil prices are rising and more jobs are becoming available here now. It's not perfect yet but the 2010s was one of the worst decade for the economy in my province's history, especially the mid 2010s period. It can only get better in the '20s.

Written By: Wobo on 05/25/18 at 10:23 pm

I'm PRAYING that this is all will be completely wrong! XC The Late 2010s have set a wonderful start for the 2020s, I don't need a recession to ruin everything!  :\'(

Usagi-chan

Yeah.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/25/18 at 10:24 pm

I am sorry you feel that way but try to think positive. I also don't think it's fair to blame Trump winning on the church. Alt-right people don't belong to any church, and many Americans who voted for Trump just simply didn't trust Clinton or wanted change. And I personally hate music of the late 2010s.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/26/18 at 6:59 am

I am sorry you feel that way but try to think positive. I also don't think it's fair to blame Trump winning on the church. Alt-right people don't belong to any church, and many Americans who voted for Trump just simply didn't trust Clinton or wanted change. And I personally hate music of the late 2010s.

Well actually: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/white-evangelicals-cant-quit-donald-trump/558461/

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/4/30/17301282/race-evangelicals-trump-support-gerson-atlantic-sexism-segregation-south

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/4/20/17261726/poll-prri-white-evangelical-support-for-trump-is-at-an-all-time-high

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/18 at 11:55 am

Well actually: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/white-evangelicals-cant-quit-donald-trump/558461/

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/4/30/17301282/race-evangelicals-trump-support-gerson-atlantic-sexism-segregation-south

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/4/20/17261726/poll-prri-white-evangelical-support-for-trump-is-at-an-all-time-high

News articles always make stuff up like that, not very reliable. Saying it is at an all time high doesn't prove the point either. Also someone can call themselves an evangelical but not actually be one too. The reason for Trump's winning is to be blamed more of the alt-right group or people who don't like Clinton.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/26/18 at 12:35 pm

So your answer is “fake news?” The correlation between church attendance and Republican support is well-documented and has been for decades, and the voting record for 2016 specifically points to massive support of Trump by evangelicals.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/26/18 at 12:43 pm

I would say that if the alt-right actually had a religion, it would be folkish paganism.

Henrik Palmgren, Lana Lokteff, The Blonde Buttermaker, Weev, Jack Donovan/Wolves of Vinland, Seana Fenner, Marcus Follin, many of the Renegade Tribune editors, Jeremy Joseph Christian (the Portland train assailant), Varg Vikernes (notorious arsonist, murderer, and black metal musician), Tom Roswell, Stephen McNallen, the Heathen Women editors, Austin Gillespie, Paladin Justice, and many more people in the alt-right seem to be folkish pagans.

And then you have some Christians in the alt-right movement.

Billy Roper, Ayla Stewart, Jared Taylor, Brittany Pettibone, Andrew Anglin, Vox Day, Lacey Lynn, Matthew Heimbach, Nick Fuentes, David Duke, and Don Black just to name several of them.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/18 at 12:43 pm

So your answer is “fake news?” The correlation between church attendance and Republican support is well-documented and has been for decades, and the voting record for 2016 specifically points to massive support of Trump by evangelicals.

Firstly, Trump is completely different than the average republican, so the support from previous years is irrelevant. He's a populist, not a standard Judeo-Christian republican (not that I'm claiming republicans are real Christians). Next, it is a bad generalization to say the church is to blame for votes for republicans when the church and politics are completely separate in reality. The religious politics you see on the news has nothing to do with the real church, those people and stories are placed on there on the media to influence voters, and those individuals are called "fake Christians" you can read more about it, there are many in the bible belt who belong to those groups who aren't actual evangelical Christians (Westboro Baptist is an example). Most Christians actually separate politics from their faith or don't really care all that much altogether (don't vote, not all do but many go that route). Because in the end of the day, republicans are only there to try to gain more votes, but aren't actual Christians or represent Christianity at all besides a few policies here and there. They represent conservatism in general. Same as the democrats, their policies tickle people's ears but they are actually just as bad and corrupt as the republicans. Finally, a huge load of factors go into play for people voting republican that have nothing to do with religion. Some people got tired of the democrats, and with only a two-party system they voted for change. Some like fiscal policies of the republicans more. Some like certain leaders like Trump more than other leaders like Clinton. So many factors that go way beyond religion.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/18 at 12:44 pm

And then you have some Christians in the alt-right movement.

Billy Roper, Ayla Stewart, Jared Taylor, Brittany Pettibone, Andrew Anglin, Vox Day, Lacey Lynn, Matthew Heimbach, Nick Fuentes, David Duke, and Don Black just to name several of them.

I can tell you right now that anyone on the alt-right who claims to be Christian is not actually a Christian. Nowhere in the bible is racism accepted. You're right it is more of a pagan religion more than anything else. The alt-right extremists or neo-nazis actually kind of reminds me of the Crusades without the actual act of genocide.

Written By: Looney Toon on 05/26/18 at 7:13 pm

Funny as it seems like EVERY decade starts with a recession.

For the 1970s there was a recession that lasted from '69 - '70. In the 1980s the years '80 - '82 all were within recession. In the 1990s there was a recession during '90 - '91. In the 2000s we had a recession in '01. Actually the 2010s is the first decade to NOT have any recession during anytime in the early part of this decade as the last recession ended in '09. From '10 - present we haven't seen any recessions yet.

But either way from looking at previous decades I now sort of expect every decade to begin with a recession now.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/26/18 at 8:09 pm

I can tell you right now that anyone on the alt-right who claims to be Christian is not actually a Christian. Nowhere in the bible is racism accepted. You're right it is more of a pagan religion more than anything else. The alt-right extremists or neo-nazis actually kind of reminds me of the Crusades without the actual act of genocide.

Keep in mind, however, that not all pagans are alt-right. I think that we have at least one pagan on this website.

Lana Lokteff, for example, is absolutely alt-right.
The people from Huginn's Heathen Hof, for example, are not even close to being alt-right.
Most of the people from certain pagan subreddits, such as r/asatru and r/pagan, absolutely condemn the acts and ideology of the alt-right (one guy from r/pagan said "I f***ing hate Odinia").

There seems to be three types of pagans:
*The universalist, weed-smoking pagan
*The "rational" pagan
*The folkish alt-right pagan

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/28/18 at 6:57 am

There's an interesting article from the Washington Post about this topic:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/05/25/the-alarming-statistics-that-show-the-u-s-economy-isnt-as-good-as-it-seems/?utm_term=.f38c7bd2d88c

What are your guys opinions on this?

Check for new replies or respond here...