inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Morgan Freeman accused of sexual assault by eight women

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/24/18 at 12:44 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/05/24/morgan-freeman-accused-sexual-harassment-and-inappropriate-behavior/640696002/

Morgan Freeman has been accused of sexual harassment and assaults by eight women, and 16 people in total have allegedly witnessed him doing so.

Subject: Re: Morgan Freeman accused of sexual assault by eight women

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/24/18 at 12:54 pm

I just saw a comment that women will start accusing Jesus next. Gold.

Yup. Next up, Denzel Washington and Will Smith.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/24/18 at 1:04 pm

If we're being honest, probably 99% of Hollywood stars have either assaulted or harassed someone, or been harassed themselves. These are people who have access to almost absolute power, and who are looked upon as being almost beyond regular people by many; they are treated like living idols. It is only natural that such power would corrupt most people and make them think they're above regular morals. And I'll be honest, whether it is Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, or Arnie, I don't really care. I don't watch movies starring these people for the THEM but for the personas their talent allows them to manufacture. What am I gonna do, stop watching some of my favorite movies because either the star, the director, or the producer is a scumbag? If I did it would limit what I watched to almost nothing.

I'm just waiting for some of the other heavy hitters, like Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Harrison Ford, Spielberg, etc to have allegations put against them. It's only a matter of time.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/24/18 at 1:17 pm

Think of all the sexual assaults, NCAA violations, pro sports cheating, and scandals that would have been caught or revealed much earlier had the social media era had started a few decades back. It's crazy how much people got away with back in the 90's, 80's, and earlier etc.

My dad works for the school system where I grew up, and I recently heard a story of a girl who'd been snap chatting guys all over the school (for weeks or possibly months) and were paying her huge money for sex in the bathrooms or cars out in the parking lot, and yet she doesn't get punished so hard. I mean it's no surprise. People go after who they want to go after based off their cultural viewpoints.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/18 at 3:09 pm

You beat me to it.

Looks like a new wave of "MeToo" accusations/revelations is underway.  :-\\

Written By: Wobo on 05/24/18 at 3:14 pm

Those eight women might as well accuse the Air too.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/24/18 at 3:18 pm

You beat me to it.

I don't know if I should say this, but I don't think the #MeToo movement has worked or changed anything.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/24/18 at 4:12 pm

It hasn't done anything except ruin careers. There's no oversight put in place. There's no stopping other guys from doing it in the future once this movement has died down. You could argue "fear" would stop guys from doing this in the future but if you're inclined to sexually assault women you probably aren't very afraid in general. Also, this will probably result in those guys just using prostitutes and then having them murdered. "She has no name, no family, no one will miss her."

What should be set up is some sort of commission where women can privately report an incident, similar to how the Knapp Commission here was set up as oversight on cops after Serpico came out describing how pretty much all of them were on the take. These public trials don't work, and they're degrading our democracy and our notions of guilt and innocence as well as the concept of innocent until proven guilty. It's become so that an allegation is essentially guilt.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/24/18 at 4:28 pm

If we're being honest, probably 99% of Hollywood stars have either assaulted or harassed someone, or been harassed themselves. These are people who have access to almost absolute power, and who are looked upon as being almost beyond regular people by many; they are treated like living idols.

This is why It'd never happen to Spielberg. Hahaha It'd be kept hidden under his legendary history. I see it as they would let him get away with it. Or he'd be forgiven. Its really f'd up.

Written By: ofkx on 05/24/18 at 5:02 pm

I'm not exactly surprised. Didn't he openly date his step-grandaughter ???. He's pretty weird.
And before any of you call this fake, most of these accusations have witnesses.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/18 at 5:02 pm

I don't know if I should say this, but I don't think the #MeToo movement has worked or changed anything.

The proverbial "Casting Couch" is still in service? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 8:56 am

You never know, some woman or women will come out and start accusing them for sexual harassment. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/18 at 10:09 am

The proverbial "Casting Couch" is still in service? ???
I heard being inappropriate on set, so that is after the casting couch...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/18 at 10:17 am

I'm not exactly surprised. Didn't he openly date his step-grandaughter ???.

Nothing illegal about that.

Written By: ofkx on 05/25/18 at 11:40 am

Legal ≠ Okay.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/25/18 at 1:39 pm

Those eight women might as well accuse the Air too.

How do you know those women are lying?

Written By: Wobo on 05/25/18 at 2:26 pm

How do you know those women are lying?

How do you know they're telling the truth?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/18 at 3:18 pm

Legal ≠ Okay.

Well as long as she was of legal age and neither he nor she were married to somebody else at the time (I do not know if that is the case or not), who are we to judge? ???

Heck, I used to work with a guy whose wife ran off with some Korean kid they adopted. He ultimately shot himself in the face, but only shot off his nose and then had one of those ones that are velcroed to your face. Bad scene...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/25/18 at 4:21 pm

I haven't read into everything that everyone said but from what I've seen trickling around Twitter, most of what Morgan did just sounds like harmless flirting to me.

But at least he was man enough to issue an apology and no go complete bitch and deny it. At least he owned up to it. sheesh we already about to have Bill Cosby rot in jail, he know his old ass doesn't want to go too.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 4:40 pm

I wonder why he wasn't accused of rape or sexual assault when he was on The Electric Company?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/Ec_logo_800.jpg/250px-Ec_logo_800.jpg

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 4:42 pm

What about Jerry Lee Lewis?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/18 at 4:45 pm

What about Jerry Lee Lewis?

I do not think that Morgan has been accused of molesting Jerry Lee Lewis.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 5:27 pm

I do not think that Morgan has been accused of molesting Jerry Lee Lewis.

I meant that Jerry Lee Lewis dated or married his cousin, that's what I was asking? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/18 at 5:29 pm

I meant that Jerry Lee Lewis dated or married his cousin, that's what I was asking? ???

Oh yeah I think he was partying with a 13 year old back in the day. That really hurt his career.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/25/18 at 5:34 pm

How do you know they're telling the truth?

I don't. But there's a chance that there is evidence that they are telling the truth. I'd rather keep my opinions to myself and let the trial take place and then form an opinion after. It's better than being a rape apologist or supporting tarnishing people's career's based on hearsay, although if I had to pick one I'd rather be, it'd be the latter.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/26/18 at 5:38 am

Morgan has now come out with a statement that while he apologized, he did not create an unsafe working environment, sexually assault anybody, or "offer employment in exchange for sex".

Hopefully that clears things up.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/18 at 2:44 pm

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/square_small/11132/111320501/5812643-love.png

I know it's an act and all but you can't tell me that Morgan Freeman(Easy Reader from The Electric Company) didn't have the hots for The Librarian  (Hattie Winston) or Rita Moreno or Lee Chamberlin?

Subject: Morgan Freeman accused of sexual assault by eight women

Written By: Dude111 on 05/27/18 at 4:33 pm

I just saw a comment that women will start accusing Jesus next. Gold

Yup. and then the terminator and Bruce Willis!!!

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/28/18 at 1:10 pm

You beat me to it.

I think it's just a continuation of the wave that started about a year ago. The brief hiatus will barely be noticeable.

It's doing more harm than good. Many men have had their careers and even their lives ruined because of false accusations without evidence, because they just take her word over his. I imagine it would be a lot worse if Hillary was president. It would create a society and culture where it would be tough to be a man.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/18 at 1:18 pm

I imagine it would be a lot worse if Hillary was president. It would create a society and culture where it would be tough to be a man.

Hillary shot her wad in 2000. If she had kicked Bill outta the house back then, she could have run for a president and won by a landslide. That was my opinion back then and it still is my opinion. (of course I would never have voted for her).

She is the antithesis of "Me Too". She tolerates sexual harassment so long as such tolerance furthers what she perceives as her political interest. But she got the calculus wrong in 2000.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/28/18 at 1:38 pm

I think it's just a continuation of the wave that started about a year ago. The brief hiatus will barely be noticeable.

It's doing more harm than good. Many men have had their careers and even their lives ruined because of false accusations without evidence, because they just take her word over his. I imagine it would be a lot worse if Hillary was president. It would create a society and culture where it would be tough to be a man.

Keyword bolded.

Written By: Emman on 05/28/18 at 6:38 pm

I imagine it would be a lot worse if Hillary was president. It would create a society and culture where it would be tough to be a man.

Nah I don't even think the Weinstien story would have broke if Hillary was president. :(

Written By: wixness on 05/29/18 at 3:54 pm

Yeah, I've been saddened to hear this. I thought he was pure, despite my brother saying he seemed like a jerk to him. I feel like I'm losing the little faith I had in humanity like I do with religion.

Check for new replies or respond here...