inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock Music Revival

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/24/18 at 6:54 pm

Rock and metal fans whom want the genre to return to its mainstream popularity it had in the '60s-'00s are suspecting and hoping that the signs of a revival in the mainstream for the genre are here in 2018.
One of the biggest chart topping hits of this year happens to be Bad Wolves cover of "Zombie", but the one band that rock fans are counting on to revive the genre is a band known as Greta Van Fleet, a band comprised of members around my age (b. 1996-1999) whom are being hailed as Gen Z's Led Zeppelin,  and have also risen to Number 3 on the Emerging Artists' Chart;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XaS93WMRQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

But are rock fans being too wishful? Do you think it will become a mainstream genre again?
Do you want it to become a mainstream genre again, if you're a fan of the genre? Keep in mind, when bands are underground, they can't  sell out, they actually have to put out material that their fans will like in order to make money. If rock music becomes mainstream again and these bands become popular, it's far more likely that the genre will become more corporate and radio-friendly, like it was in the '80s when hair metal over saturated the radio, and in the '00s when you had the plethora of post-grunge and emo dominating.
However, the underground metal movement that started in the '00s and continued throughout the '10s has been absolutely phenomenal, and we've seen some of the most creative concepts for metal groups as well. My top two favorite bands  of the last ten years are Van Canto, an acappella metal band, and my very favorite being Alestorm, a pirate metal band (go figure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiESgYr35gA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv6ySRXFSUA

So what is your opinion? Should rock music become mainstream again, or stay in the underground?
Leave a comment below.
Anyways, as for my personal opinion on the subject, there's a video from well-known YouTuber "TenSecondSongs" that I think perfectly describes my personal opinion on the subject.
The title of the video may give the wrong first impression, but if you actually watch the video and listen to all the points he brings up, you'll see that those points are solid, and are worth taking into account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWgoyZHTpEk

Subject: Re: Rock Music Revival

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/24/18 at 6:59 pm

Well, just one or a few songs on the billboards aren't going to cause a rock revival, and as sad as it might sound, I strongly doubt rock will go mainstream again.

I'd much prefer if a brand new music genre goes mainstream. What I mean by this is a music genre that we've either never heard before or has never really been that mainstream yet.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 05/24/18 at 7:10 pm

I'd love for rock to go mainstream again, but I'm just not sure if it's actually going to happen.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/18 at 7:15 pm

Rock 'n Roll is here to stay.
It will never die.

Written By: Dundee on 05/24/18 at 7:16 pm

It's been the same discourse since 10 years honestly. Everytime there's a rock song getting on the charts, people panic about it and rush to call it Rock Revival. I remember back in 2014 or so, there was a Breaking Benjamin song getting in the top 40 and people were immediately like "A new age in the making?".

Honestly at this point I would say "Have low expectations if this is really what you want", an eventual disappointement will be lessen this way as harsh as it may sound :(.

But hey, the best rock never was the chart-topping one, and the underground is more accessible than ever so not everything is lost!

Written By: antidote on 05/24/18 at 7:44 pm

Indie rock is alive and well and I think it's mainstream enough to the point where calling it underground would be an insult to actual underground bands.

I think the type of rock that people want to come back is the 60s-70s type, but I honestly don't think that kind of rock will ever be mainstream again. It's simply not accessible enough for the radio, and it does have a dated sound to it tbh.

I think that if a full-on mainstream rock comeback were to happen, it'd be a lot closer to a post-punk sound. Something like Interpol, but less gloomy so that it's more accessible. Anyways, rap just keeps surging in popularity, so unless there's a backlash against rap similar to the 80s backlash that spawned Nirvana going mainstream, rock is still going to be on the backburner for a while. Trap rap makes pretty good music for getting hyped and partying and whatnot, and that seems to be what people are looking for in their music nowadays. Not that rock isn't good music for getting hyped and partying, but trap rap obviously does the trick better for most people.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/24/18 at 8:03 pm

I'd like to see Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones  come out with another butt kicking hit rock album.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/youtubepoop/images/4/45/Mick-Jagger.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160815173058

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/24/18 at 9:24 pm

I don't think that "rock music", in its traditional form, will ever make a rebound to the top of the Charts. At least not in the foreseeable future.

BUT, electronic pop music that incorporates heavy use of electric guitars, just might. Think Imagine Dragons, but more advanced. And old-fashioned "rock music" (be it indie or punk or metal) will always have an underground niche. It won't vanish off the face of the earth. There are devout punks and metal heads of my generation (90s babies) and even younger, but they're in the minority. They're a niche.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/25/18 at 7:03 am

Indie rock is alive and well and I think it's mainstream enough to the point where calling it underground would be an insult to actual underground bands.

I think the type of rock that people want to come back is the 60s-70s type, but I honestly don't think that kind of rock will ever be mainstream again. It's simply not accessible enough for the radio, and it does have a dated sound to it tbh.

I think that if a full-on mainstream rock comeback were to happen, it'd be a lot closer to a post-punk sound. Something like Interpol, but less gloomy so that it's more accessible. Anyways, rap just keeps surging in popularity, so unless there's a backlash against rap similar to the 80s backlash that spawned Nirvana going mainstream, rock is still going to be on the backburner for a while. Trap rap makes pretty good music for getting hyped and partying and whatnot, and that seems to be what people are looking for in their music nowadays. Not that rock isn't good music for getting hyped and partying, but trap rap obviously does the trick better for most people.

I don’t think people are lamenting the loss of classic blues rock so much as that there are no modern mainstream metal and punk bands. They look at The Maine and see a cheap knockoff of Yellowcard, or lament the fact that there are no groundbreaking nu-metal-esque bands dominating the charts.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/25/18 at 7:38 am

I don’t think people are lamenting the loss of classic blues rock so much as that there are no modern mainstream metal and punk bands. They look at The Maine and see a cheap knockoff of Yellowcard, or lament the fact that there are no groundbreaking nu-metal-esque bands dominating the charts.

I'm lamenting the loss of variety. I really don't want 00s rock music to become popular again, although I'd be okay with pop culture revisiting the era. I want 2010s rock music to become popular but the 2010s are almost over. I just have to take solace that people will eventually rebel against the largely monochromatic pop culture of the 2010s.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/25/18 at 8:46 am

Well, just one or a few songs on the billboards aren't going to cause a rock revival, and as sad as it might sound, I strongly doubt rock will go mainstream again.

I'd much prefer if a brand new music genre goes mainstream. What I mean by this is a music genre that we've either never heard before or has never really been that mainstream yet.
Or you can bring rock back but re-defined it, like in the 90's you had neo-soul which is basically rnb mixed with jazz and blues.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 8:48 am

Rock 'n Roll is here to stay.
It will never die.

Rock And Roll lived on in the 50's throughout the 1980's and it will continue to dominate for quite a long time.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/18 at 8:50 am

I'd like to see Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones  come out with another butt kicking hit rock album.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/youtubepoop/images/4/45/Mick-Jagger.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160815173058

I really doubt that'll will ever happen but you never know.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/18 at 10:18 am

I really doubt that'll will ever happen but you never know.

Well he's still out there in the concert trail, kicking butt.

And his girlfriend just had a new child by him, so he's got bills to pay.  ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/25/18 at 10:24 am

I don't know how something that never went away can experience a revival.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/25/18 at 3:10 pm

Well he's still out there in the concert trail, kicking butt.

And his girlfriend just had a new child by him, so he's got bills to pay.  ;D

I really don’t know how he does it. What a wild dude.

Check for new replies or respond here...