inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s R&B Appreciation Thread (Content Heavy).

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/24/18 at 9:13 pm

The 2010s represent a unique stage in music that has granted R&B artists the freedom to produce art that either remains true to it's roots, or lies far beyond standard Rhythm & Blues. Since the turn of the decade, R&B as a whole has experienced a renovation in style and sound from many different angles. In the early 2010s, mainstream artists such as Usher, Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, and Kelly Rowland were beginning to steer away from the traditional R&B sound of the 2000s in favor of dance-pop and EDM.

While mainstream artists took advantage of the growing popularity in electronic music, R&B artists less known to the public took initiative to breed innovations of their own. The underground R&B scene relished the surge of online music platforms including Soundcloud, Tumblr, Bandcamp, and Spotify. These user-driven platforms, combined with support from the blogphere, helped birth a new era of R&B music. Musicians like Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Miguel, Janelle Monae, and FKA Twigs are among the top pioneers of what would become R&B as we know it today. Proving that R&B could be used as a creative force outside of it's traditional aesthetic, these artists integrated several different genres into their music and created an idiosyncratic sound.
As a result, today's artists are able to push musical boundaries by incorporating EDM, Hip-Hop/Rap, Jazz, Indie, and Psychedelic Rock - all while maintaining success in the R&B scene.

While some musicians were experimenting with new sounds, on the other side of the spectrum were the gatekeepers to the foundation of Rhythm & Blues. BJ The Chicago Kid, Leon Bridges, Jesse Boykins III, and Luke James are all responsible for keeping the essence of soul music alive. These artists often fuse several African American genres such as soul, jazz, funk, hip-hop, spoken word, and gospel. No matter which side of the musical spectrum the above artist lie on, all of them have contributed significantly to the revival of R&B.

This is an appreciation thread dedicated to R&B music of this decade.

My Featured Artists.

Frank Ocean - Blond (2016)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a0/Blonde_-_Frank_Ocean.jpeg/220px-Blonde_-_Frank_Ocean.jpeg

1. Nikes
2. Ivy
3. Pink + White
4. Be Yourself
5. Solo
6. Skyline To
7. Self Control
8. Good Guy
9. Nights
10. Solo (Reprise)
11. Pretty Sweet
12. Facebook Story
13. Close to You
14. White Ferrari
15. Seigfried
16. Godspeed
17. Futura Free

Released: August 20, 2016

Writing for The Guardian, Tim Jonze hailed Blonde as "one of the most intriguing and contrary records ever made". He said that "what originally appear to be Blonde's flaws – its loose ends and ambiguities – end up as its strengths," concluding that "what gradually emerges is a record of enigmatic beauty, intoxicating depth and intense emotion.

Highlight Track: Pink + White
9cHbvRUALrc

Highlight Track: Self Control
RKD8sVVTEAA

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Channel_ORANGE.jpg

1. Start
2. Thinkin Bout You
3. Fertilizer
4. Sierra Leone
5. Sweet Life
6. Not Just Money
7. Super Rich Kids (feat. Earl Sweatshirt)
8. Pilot Jones
9. Crack Rock
10. Pyramids
11. Lost
12. White (feat. John Mayer)
13. Monks
14. Bad Religion
15. Pink Matter (feat. André 3000)
16. Forrest Gump
17. End

Released: July 10, 2012

At the end of 2012, Channel Orange was named the year's best album by numerous publications, including the Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, Billboard, Entertainment Weekly, The Guardian, the Los Angeles Times, The Sydney Morning Herald, Now, Paste, PopMatters, Slant Magazine, Spin, and The Washington Post.
Metacritic cited it as both the "top-ranked" and "best-reviewed major album" of 2012, as well as "one of the best-reviewed albums of the past decade.

Highlight Tracks: Crack Rock
Oz0L7NcHKdk

Pink Matter (feat. Andre 3000) 
CQsUNvYBch0

Gallant - Ology (2016)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/89/Ology_by_Gallant.jpg/220px-Ology_by_Gallant.jpg

1. First
2. Talking to Myself
3. Shotgun
4. Bourbon
5. Bone + issue
6. Oh, Universe
7. Weight in Gold
8. Episode
9. Miyazaki
10. Counting
11. Percogesic
12. Open Up
13. Skipping Stones (feat. Jhené Aiko)
14. Chandra
15. Last
16. Weight in Gold (Brasstracks Remix)

Released: April 6, 2016

The Guardian writer Lenre Bakare noted that "if this is what R&B’s future looks like it’s brighter than ever.

Highlighted Tracks: Weight in Gold
WoQ6wf--WMU

Miyazaki
x4vl70UXT6A

Anderson .Paak - Malibu (2016)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/01/Anderson-Park-Malibu-Cover-Billboard-650x650.jpg/220px-Anderson-Park-Malibu-Cover-Billboard-650x650.jpg

1. The Bird
2. Heart Don't Stand A Chance
3. The Waters (BJ The Chicago Kid)
4. The Season / Carry Me
5. Put Me Thru
6. Am I Wrong (feat. Schoolboy Q)
7. Without You (feat. Rapsody)
8. Parking Lot
9. Lite Weight (feat. The Free Nationals United Fellowship Choir)
10. Room In Here (feat. Sonyae Elise & The Game)
11. Water Fall (Interlude)
12. Your Prime
13. Come Down
14. Silicon Valley
15. Celebrate
16. The Dreamer (feat. Talib Kweli & The Timan Choir)

Released: January 15, 2016

"A rose from concrete, Malibu offers a sense of wonder that's carefully rooted in funk and soul, and presents a complete vision from a blossoming new artist that's not only fearless, but leading something of a sonic revolution."

Highlighted Tracks - Come Down
-OqrcUvrbRY

Without You (feat. Rapsody)
XcnggLK9WyQ

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid (2010)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Janelle_Monáe_-_The_ArchAndroid_album_cover.jpg/220px-Janelle_Monáe_-_The_ArchAndroid_album_cover.jpg

1. Suite II Overture
2. Dance Or Die
3. Faster
4. Locked Inside
5. Sir Greendown
6. Cold War
7. Tightrope
8. Neon Gumbo
9. Oh, Maker
10. Come Alive (The War Of The Roses)
11. Mushrooms & Roses
12. Suite III Overture
13. Neon Valley Street
14. Make The Bus
15. Wondaland
16. 57821
17. Say You'll Go
18. BabopbyeY

Released: January 21, 2010

One of 2010's best-reviewed releases, the album received praise for its Afrofuturistic concept and Monáe's eclectic musical range.Michael Cragg of The Guardian found its "sheer musical scope" "spellbinding".AllMusic writer Andy Kellman praised Monáe's creativity and called it "an extravagant 70-minute album involving more imagination, conceptual detail, and stylistic turnabouts than most gatefold prog rock epics".

Highlight Track: Locked Inside
e9MlBYgBVEI

Tightrope (feat. Big Boi)
pwnefUaKCbc

Jesse Boykins III - Love Aparatus (2014)

https://img.discogs.com/uFOroOzeNXhjjb4h86tR61f9MSk=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-6658834-1424033192-8241.jpeg.jpg

1. GreyScale
2. B4 The Night Is Thru
3. Created Beauty
4. I Wish
5. Tell Me
6. Show Me Who You Are
7. Live In Me
8. 4 U 2 B Free
9. The Wonder Years
10. Plain
11. A Matter Of The Heart
12. 4 Ever No More
13. Make Believe
14. Heavenly Eyes
15. Molly's Refuge
16. Our Tonight Is Mine

Love Apparatus is a warm, dreamy album that easily allows you to get lost in its glow.

Highlight Tracks: B4 The Night Is Thru
OqKwf3ohfrI

I Wish
Gt7uA73R66A

Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream (2012)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e8/Miguel-Kaleidoscope_Dream.jpg/220px-Miguel-Kaleidoscope_Dream.jpg

1. Adorn
2. Don't Look Back
3. Use Me
4. Do You...
5. Kaleidoscope Dream
6. The Thrill
7. How Many Drinks?
8. Where's The Fun In Forever
9. Arch & Point
10. P**** Is Mine
11.Candles In The Sun

Released: September 25, 2012

The music on Kaleidoscope Dream draws on R&B, pop, funk, rock and soul styles, as well as elements from electronic and psychedelic music. The album's producers incorporated dense bass lines, buzzing synthesizers, and hazy, reverbed sounds in the songs, which deal mostly with sex, romance, and existential ideas. Miguel titled Kaleidoscope Dream as a metaphor for life and wanted the songs to reflect his lifestyle and personality. Sean McCarthy from PopMatters wrote that, along with Frank Ocean's Channel Orange, it showed R&B as the innovative genre in mainstream music during 2012, while Los Angeles Times critic Randall Roberts said it "offers further evidence of a genre being reborn in 2012."

Highlight Tracks: Use Me
VAWDdcZqqSg

Kaleidoscope Dream
qb7tx90vXzY

BJ The Chicago Kid - In My Mind (2016)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/24/BJ_the_Chicago_Kid_In_My_Mind.jpg/220px-BJ_the_Chicago_Kid_In_My_Mind.jpg

1.Intro
2. Man Down
3. Church
4. Love Inside
5. The Resume
6. Shine
7. Wait 'Til The Morning
8. Heart Crush
9. Jeremiah/World Needs More Love
10. The New Cupid
11. Woman's World
12. Crazy
13. Home
14. Falling On My Face
15. Turnin' Me Up

Released: February 19, 2016

In a glowing review for Exclaim!, Michael J. Warren called In My Mind "the most earnest soul album in years," saying that the record is "the proof that his ascension is hardly luck, but rather the result of a 15-year grind and a tremendous work ethic."

Highlight Tracks: Church
b--HyqSWYNs

Turnin' Me Up
NZoR1bpCics

Daniel Casear - Freudian

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Freudian_by_Daniel_Caesar.jpg/220px-Freudian_by_Daniel_Caesar.jpg

1.Get You (feat. Kali Uchis)
2. Best Part (feat. H.E.R.)
3. Hold Me Down
4. Neu Roses (Transgressor's Song)
5. Loose
6. We Find Love
7. Blessed
8. Take Me Away (feat. Syd)
9. Transform (feat. Charlotte Day Wilson)
10. Freudian

Released: August 25, 2017

Briana Younger of Pitchfork complimented the gospel elements of the album, stating: "There’s much here that blends well into this 1990s-obsessed era, but Caesar’s gospel background is his not-so-secret weapon. While he’s surely not the only contemporary R&B singer who grew up in the church, he doesn’t shy away from bringing the full range of his influences to his music. Caesar’s willingness to use all of the tools at his disposal—to explore his own id and superego right alongside love’s heaven and hell—elevates his craft."

Highlight Tracks: Get You (feat. Kali Uchis)
EQWKdwvXh-o

Best Part (feat. H.E.R.)
1jbp5mb6AUU

Subject: Re: 2010s R&B Appreciation Thread (Content Heavy).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/18 at 9:57 pm

It's terrific how R&B has been off the charts throughout this decade. It's honestly a shame though today's scene didn't become mainstream until sometime last year. It would have made the current music arena much better. I will say, however, I began tuning in to today's R&B as it was changing starting with Miguel, Frank Ocean, Jeremih and Janelle Monae. It was like a breath of fresh air. I remember when I heard "Thinking About You" and "Sure Thing" back in 2011-12, they sounded different from the typical R&B. Now today, it has achieved a ton of success to the point where it could be either the next music standard of the 2020s or one of the defining genres. Either way, Alt-R&B has been the bomb :)

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/24/18 at 10:22 pm

It's terrific how R&B has been off the charts throughout this decade. It's honestly a shame though today's scene didn't become mainstream until sometime last year. It would have made the current music arena much better. I will say, however, I began tuning in to today's R&B as it was changing starting with Miguel, Frank Ocean, Jeremih and Janelle Monae. It was like a breath of fresh air. I remember when I heard "Thinking About You" and "Sure Thing" back in 2011-12, they sounded different from the typical R&B. Now today, it has achieved a ton of success to the point where it could be either the next music standard of the 2020s or one of the defining genres. Either way, Alt-R&B has been the bomb :)

Back in 2010 - 2014, I complained about R&B not being mainstream. And the "R&B" that was mainstream was heavily influenced by that techno sound. I remembers celebs like Erykah Badu, saying that R&B was turning into "cornball" techno music as well.

However, looking back maybe it was a good thing that R&B took the backseat for a while. Perhaps that is what allowed it to flourish and evolve into what we have today. I attribute a lot to platforms like Soundcloud and Tumblr for allowing R&B artists to share their craft and create large fanbases in online communities. But I would also say Frank, Miguel, and Janelle were among the first to release experimental R&B projects into the mainstream. I don't like calling it alternative r&b so I just call it experimental lol.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/24/18 at 10:31 pm

I remember when I heard "Thinking About You" and "Sure Thing" back in 2011-12, they sounded different from the typical R&B.

Damn, you beat me to it. Haha I have found memories listening to Sure Thing.

I first heard Tray Songz's Say Ahh recent and its a fun tune also.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/24/18 at 10:37 pm

Y'all have no idea how many great memories I have listening to Frank and Miguel in 2012 and how much they mean to me. They both dropped game-changing albums that year, only several months apart from each other. It was my 2nd/3rd semester of college too. Such great memories lol. The first two albums I bought with my own money.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/24/18 at 11:18 pm

Back in 2010 - 2014, I complained about R&B not being mainstream. And the "R&B" that was mainstream was heavily influenced by that techno sound. I remember celebs like Erykah Badu, saying that R&B was turning into "cornball" techno music as well.

However, looking back maybe it was a good thing that R&B took the backseat for a while. Perhaps that is what allowed it to flourish and evolve into what we have today. I attribute a lot to platforms like Soundcloud and Tumblr for allowing R&B artists to share their craft and create large fanbases in online communities. But I would also say Frank, Miguel, and Janelle was among the first to release experimental R&B projects into the mainstream. I don't like calling it alternative r&b, so I call it experimental lol.

You all have no idea how many great memories I had listened to Frank and Miguel in 2012 and how much they mean to me. They both dropped game-changing albums that year, only several months apart from each other. It was my 2nd/3rd semester of college too. Such great memories lol. The first two albums I bought with my own money.
Yeah, I remember the transformation of R&B during that time. In 2010, Usher had two albums called Raymond V. Raymond which were traditional R&B and another one where it featured the song "DJ Got us falling in love," and it was a dance-techno track out of nowhere. That was a sudden change. Then in 2011, I heard Motivation by Kelly which sounded different from anything she released over the years. Chris also changed his sound where while he did have some that were R&B, others were a different genre such as Yeah 3x, Look at Me Now, Fine China and Loyal.

I guess R&B with leaving the mainstream gave us the best thing we needed by fusing old genres and creating something brand new. Just imagine had it continued, it would have gotten stale and most likely reusing the beats and lyrics over and over.

No denying that. I had great memories listening to them during that time too. I downloaded a ton of songs from Channel Orange, and it was a blast!

Damn, you beat me to it. Haha, I have fond memories listening to Sure Thing.

I first heard Trey Songz's Say Ahh recent and it's a fun tune also.
Same here! I had that track on repeat for days as well as "Thinking About You." :)

Yeah, it was, but it seems more like a club song rather than R&B.

Written By: J. Rob on 05/25/18 at 5:21 am

Man....I heard ArchAndroid in 2010 and desperately searched for similar artists. That album lead to me discovering Miguel about a month or two later....which lead to Frank Ocean...which lead to The Internet.....they were exactly what I was searching for.

Other artists I followed during the early to mid 2010:

SZA, Rochelle Jordan, Kelela, Ro James, BJ The zChicago Kid, Tinashe, Jhene Aiko, Elle Varner, KING, Yuna, Anderson Paak, NAO, Ella Mai, H.E.R., Dornik, R.Lum.R

I could go on and on. Some of these artists lost their buzz and faded away, some grinded it out and are finally getting their props after almost a decade of being overlooked.

R&B never died, it just went underground to get away from the commercial tactics of the industry. (What happened to Tinashe is the perfect example of what they mostly tried to avoid). SZA kicked the door in 2017 down and the floodgate is wide open now...I'd love for this to be the new sound of mainstream R&B and it looks like that's happening.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/25/18 at 8:49 am

Same here! I had that track on repeat for days as well as "Thinking About You." :)

Yeah, it was, but it seems more like a club song rather than R&B.

I was desperate. The statics is saying Trey Songz's Say Ahh was released in both 2009 and 2010. I almost went with How To Love by Lil Wayne but it sounds nothing like R&B to me.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/25/18 at 9:03 am

I was desperate. The statics is saying Trey Songz's Say Ahh was released in both 2009 and 2010. I almost went with How To Love by Lil Wayne but it sounds nothing like R&B to me.

Say Ahh is from his from his album "Ready" which came out in 2009. So people were already listening to it by then but it was still popular in 2010. Ready was his ' true' breakthrough album and his best one imo. It's what took him from average R&B singer to a force to be reckon with.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/25/18 at 11:29 am

R&B being blended with Hip-Hop kinda killed it, R&B catered too much towards teens which made it more manufactured and auto-tune. R&B lost that slow-jam feel it had from the 70s,80s,90s and early 00s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/25/18 at 12:48 pm

R&B being blended with Hip-Hop kinda killed it, R&B catered too much towards teens which made it more manufactured and auto-tune. R&B lost that slow-jam feel it had from the 70s,80s,90s and early 00s.

That only applies to mainstream though. I made this thread so we could focus less on mainstream R&B, because of course, mainstream has too much trap and ambient influence.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/25/18 at 1:51 pm

R&B is in a similar position as Rock, whereas they're both are considered dead by 2018 standards, both genres were influenced by blues music and teens aren't as into them like they were 5-10 years ago; on the flipside Rock was a genre that meant to be rebellious while R&B was meant to be danced to. R&B was the established genre that deemed accepted by mainstream America once you get past a certain age (particularly by Blacks when they felt they outgrown hip-hop) whereas Rock while Rock definitely has an older crowd most teens either listen to hard metal or classic rock.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 2:29 pm

Jon Vinyl
9e9gSdd5Rik

avPfkgNpoUU
This guy reminds me of Frank in some ways.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/27/18 at 4:44 pm

This is the song I was telling NerdyGamer about y6j4BYmSgaE

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/18 at 4:57 pm

I don't know. I want Mariah Carey to make a comeback. It'd be interesting.

Written By: Dundee on 05/27/18 at 7:40 pm

Yassss, this thread slays. Alternative R&B is definitely the genre to not sleep on

PALMMqZLAQk

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 7:47 pm

Yassss, this thread slays.

Thaaanks lol

Check for new replies or respond here...