inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did this decade turn out how you expected it to?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/18 at 11:44 pm

Earlier in the decade, when you were thinking of what this decade would be like, did it go into the direction you expected? For me I thought this decade would have way more technological advancements and I thought the late 2010s would be like this futuristic era with so much new technology and I also thought the music would progress to a brand new sound much sooner. I was of course wrong about this. I didn't expect it to be so dark as well, I always pictured the decade being more bright and more 1980s-like similar to the early 2010s. I never expected Donald Trump to be the president too. It's crazy 2018 is already here. How about everyone else? Did this decade meet your expectations? Were some of your predictions correct?

Subject: Re: Did this decade turn out how you expected it to?

Written By: 97er on 05/27/18 at 12:13 am

I thought it was going to be much more like the early 2010s.

Agree with the technological advances. I feel like not much has changed.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 1:11 am

In 2009, I wasn't worried about what the future would look like, so I never really made any predictions. However, I never in a millions years would've thought Trump would be president. Even though it's been over a year since he was inaugurated, it's still difficult to believe.

This decade has been pretty good to me and that's all that matters on my part. I enjoyed the early 2010s (2010-2013) and the late 2010s (2016-2018) so far.

I guess I didn't expect this decade to be so consistent. I mean the early 2010s is different from the late but it's still pretty much the same at it's core.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/27/18 at 4:35 am

Earlier in the decade, when you were thinking of what this decade would be like, did it go into the direction you expected? For me I thought this decade would have way more technological advancements and I thought the late 2010s would be like this futuristic era with so much new technology and I also thought the music would progress to a brand new sound much sooner. I was of course wrong about this. I didn't expect it to be so dark as well, I always pictured the decade being more bright and more 1980s-like similar to the early 2010s. I never expected Donald Trump to be the president too. It's crazy 2018 is already here. How about everyone else? Did this decade meet your expectations? Were some of your predictions correct?

I didn't have expectations. I knew technology and the way the internet is would change, but I didn't expect it to be at the cost of our privacy and having to be more careful. I'm not holding my breath about the 2020 decade either.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:27 am

Yes and no. I knew some sort of cultural revolution on par with the late 60s was on the horizon as far back as 2008, but I never thought it would be as ugly as it is now. I also could never have predicted the rise of smartphones or Trump being President. I would say on the whole this decade is much worse than I expected it to be. Possibly the worst decade for the U.S. since the 1970s

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/27/18 at 7:33 am

Not at all. I was expecting this decade to be "the recovery" from the Bush years. I thought the '00s were the cultural revolution. I was not in a million years expecting Trump, even leading up to his very election. I also didn't expect social justice, BLM, ISIS, or most of the rest of politics as it ended up happening. I was expecting a return to normalcy, the growth of clean energy industries, and a world that more closely resembled my childhood in terms of geopolitical and societal stability.

All of this is probably much ado to the fact that I was a naïve college student as all of this was going on. As an adult, I'm almost surprised I didn't see this all coming.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 7:49 am

Not at all. I was expecting this decade to be "the recovery" from the Bush years. I thought the '00s were the cultural revolution. I was not in a million years expecting Trump, even leading up to his very election. I also didn't expect social justice, BLM, ISIS, or most of the rest of politics as it ended up happening. I was expecting a return to normalcy, the growth of clean energy industries, and a world that more closely resembled my childhood in terms of geopolitical and societal stability.

All of this is probably much ado to the fact that I was a naïve college student as all of this was going on. As an adult, I'm almost surprised I didn't see this all coming.

This could have happened if it weren't for a certain group of people :(.

I agree with your entire statement. The only difference is at the end of the 2000s and the beginning of the 2010s, I was a naïve elementary & middle school student.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 7:52 am

In 2009, I wasn't worried about what the future would look like, so I never really made any predictions. However, I never in a millions years would've thought Trump would be president. Even though it's been over a year since he was inaugurated, it's still difficult to believe.

Same here. It really is f*cked up.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 8:34 am

A lot of the problems we have today were easy to see. I saw right wrong lunacy bloom as early as 2009, with the Glenn Beck program. People forget how powerful he was at one time. His program forced the resignation of Van Jones, one of Obama's advisors and he was able to organize rallies which attracted over 100,000 people. He also perpetuated conspiracy theories which claimed that our nation has been led by (them) since TR, and that Obama was a Marxist who hated White people. In a lot of ways, Beck was the forerunner of the alt-right or the man who brought these people into the mainstream. Trump just capitalized on a movement that already existed.

Even on the left, if you go back to 2009 you have Occupy Wallstreet, which in some ways was a forerunner to the SJW movement, though OWS was focused more on economic justice and less on racial/gender politics. But you can see looking at them how the Berniecrat faction of the Democratic Party was formed from the ashes of OWS, which lacked organization and the pervasiveness of social media to truly succeed.

I was in college in 2009 and I remember feeling that something big socially was on the horizon, that a soft civil war, a non-violent civil war, would happen, because there we too much polarization. People on both sides were unhappy with Obama. He was viewed as a traitor to the left who sold out his popularism with "too big to fail" and by the right as the devil incarnate.

But I didn't picture the country being as toxic and as broken as it is now. It has steadily gotten worse and worse since 2009, and in 2016, the crazy train picked up a massive amount of speed.

Wherever it ends, we will not recognize this country anymore. No matter who wins - the far right or far left - America as we have known it, I feel, will no longer be.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/27/18 at 8:43 am

Same here. It really is f*cked up.

The thing is, when I realized the primary election was down to Trump and Hilary (especially when Trump won the primaries) I was really angry, mad, and frustrated, more upset than I was when Trump won the presidency because I was already prepared for the worse if possible. I wasn't confident Hilary could take on Trump (even though it seemed like Hilary was gonna win but I wasn't surprised she collapsed). Plus, I knew since Bill Clinton got in office it's been an 8 year cycle with the Democrat in office and the Republican in office in a back and forth pattern, and I knew the Democratic Party hadn't had a president in office for 12 years (or 3 terms) since Franklin D. Roosevelt, so I knew it was gonna be extremely difficult. Weeks before election day so many anti-Trump people didn't even want to vote at all and I was disappointed with them, especially the black community not realizing how much of an effect you have on who get's in office by being naive and complacent. Speaking of this, I've complained many times that the Democratic Party takes the black vote for granted way too much, we shouldn't rely on the Democratic Party to solve ALL of our problems every time. They sure didn't help us this past election that's for sure. Throughout election day I remember when Hilary was leading Florida then Trump made a comeback and won, from that point on I had a bad feeling. I wasn't even surprised anymore. When I first found out about Trump back in late 2015, I didn't think it was possible for him to get popular and I thought he was a complete joke worse than Rick Perry, but once he gained a lot of followers and he hijacked the Republican  Party I realized how dumb but true America's colors were. We know half of the Trump voters voted for him because they were angry about a black man being in office for 8 years, Trump's attitude was like their "revenge" emotionally.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/18 at 9:20 am

Nah. I had literally no predictions. I didn't know about Donald Trump until he wanted to be president. Only effortless prediction I had was the progression of technology.

I was bound to be in favor of the 2000s.

Written By: J. Rob on 05/27/18 at 9:28 am

I "knew" there would be a reaction to Obama, so none of this truly surprises me to be honest

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/18 at 10:59 am

I "knew" there would be a reaction to Obama, so none of this truly surprises me to be honest

It's really hard to believe it's been this strong though.  I would say this is literally the most right-wing era in American history since the 1950s.  Most people cannot seem to accept a world where women, minorities, LGBT people, and non-Christians have the same rights and opportunities as white straight Christian men.  The Obama saw too much social progress too fast for them, starting with the election of a non-White President to the abolition of "don't ask don't tell" to legalized gay marriage to increased transgender acceptance.  This sent middle America into downright panic mode and now they are ruling as spiteful bullies with absolutely no remorse for all those whose lives they are ruining. The general attitude in this country now among conservatives is if it cannot be this idealized, 1950s utopia with white Christian men in all positions of power, women in the kitchen, gays in the closet, minorities on their side of town out of sight out of mind, and everyone in church on Sunday, they want to just burn it all down and make us all suffer. I'm concerned about the upcoming wedding cake supreme court ruling in June.  Either way it goes it's going to be nasty.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 11:18 am

It's really hard to believe it's been this strong though.  I would say this is literally the most right-wing era in American history since the 1950s.  Most people cannot seem to accept a world where women, minorities, LGBT people, and non-Christians have the same rights and opportunities as white straight Christian men.  The Obama saw too much social progress too fast for them, starting with the election of a non-White President to the abolition of "don't ask don't tell" to legalized gay marriage to increased transgender acceptance.  This sent middle America into downright panic mode and now they are ruling as spiteful bullies with absolutely no remorse for all those whose lives they are ruining. The general attitude in this country now among conservatives is if it cannot be this idealized, 1950s utopia with white Christian men in all positions of power, women in the kitchen, gays in the closet, minorities on their side of town out of sight out of mind, and everyone in church on Sunday, they want to just burn it all down and make us all suffer. I'm concerned about the upcoming wedding cake supreme court ruling in June.  Either way it goes it's going to be nasty.

THIS!

Written By: Wobo on 05/27/18 at 11:19 am

Never thought of what the 2010s were gonna be like since i was a toddler/child.

Written By: Early2002 on 05/27/18 at 11:25 am

2010 was the y2k prototype year I expected, with 2011 having some of those vibes
2012-2016 was a wash , Mid 2010s was way darker than I expected  and the decade did not even pick up until the last few months of 2016

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/18 at 12:45 pm

When I first found out about Trump back in late 2015, I didn't think it was possible for him to get popular and I thought he was a complete joke

Same here. I thought there was no way he was gonna win because the hispanic population in the US is so high and the whole thing just seemed like a big joke. Like for example Kanye West saying he is running for president, it kind of felt like that to me. In 2015 I couldn't imagine he would actually be the president.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/18 at 12:46 pm

I didn't know about Donald Trump until he wanted to be president.

You didn't know who Donald Trump was before he ran?  :o Well to be fair he wasn't on the media too much unless there was some scandal.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 1:02 pm

You didn't know who Donald Trump was before he ran?  :o Well to be fair he wasn't on the media too much unless there was some scandal.

Nah, Donald Trump has been famous since the 1980s.

In the 2000s, Donald Trump was the star of The Apprentice on NBC (2004-2015) which was a very popular show here in America.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/18 at 1:12 pm

Nah, Donald Trump has been famous since the 1980s.

In the 2000s, Donald Trump was the star of The Apprentice on NBC (2004-2015) which was a very popular show here in America.

Yeah that's why I was shocked he didn't know who he was before the election.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/27/18 at 1:31 pm

The 2010s always had been a pessimistic decade at least in my eyes because at the beginning of the decade people were still complaining about the Recession, Earthquake in Hati and you saw a bunch of 20 yr olds hating on 2000s on the internet. People today look at 2010 as optimistic, but trust me there was a lot of pessimism from the start of the decade.  I remember people were saying F Obama, F Lil Wayne, F Today's television. With that said the pessmisim really got bad around the mid-2010s because of all the police brutality, 2016 election and the rise of mumble rap.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/27/18 at 1:31 pm

Nobody thought Donald Trump would win. That's why he won, we didn't take him seriously. Tbh that just makes this whole decade feel weird.

Written By: Wobo on 05/27/18 at 1:42 pm

Nobody thought Donald Trump would win. That's why he won, we didn't take him seriously. Tbh that just makes this whole decade feel weird.

I knew he was going to win with the amount of votes he was getting and the amount of people who realize everything became or liberal and SJW over the years, and yeah it does make this decade feel weird.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/18 at 2:00 pm

Yeah that's why I was shocked he didn't know who he was before the election.

You can see a celebrity and don't realize its them until eventually. NBC was the LEAST channel I tuned in.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 2:26 pm

Trump's election was a combination of two things:

*Most people didn't take his candidacy seriously enough.

*Hillary Clinton was FIERCELY hated by people on both sides (most conservatives hated her and some liberals also hated her).

Written By: Henf89 on 05/27/18 at 3:02 pm

I pretty much agree with what you've said OP. The early 10's (09-14) were how I envisioned the 10's 'should be', basically really neon and campy with a futuristic element (smartphones, social media). I felt that this trend would simply amplify, with the late 10's being the peak of it. As its turned out, mid 2014 onwards era has been so damn dark, edgy, and divisive, which is definitely not something I expected 5-6 years ago.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/27/18 at 3:15 pm

*Hillary Clinton was FIERCELY hated by people on both sides (most conservatives hated her and some liberals also hated her).

I hated Trump, but I wasn't a Hilary supporter either. I was anti-Trump so that was the only reason I voted for Hilary, and with SENSE in my head I knew somebody had to win no matter what unlike so many other liberals and blacks who were being so complacent and ignorant not wanting to vote. So many people who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 sat out for the 2016 election which was shameful. When Trump and Hilary won the primaries I had an epic meltdown for a week, preparing for what was about to come, but I had to adapt to the environment knowing one of them had to win no matter what. It was about the lesser of two evils for me.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/18 at 3:20 pm

While this is true.  Trump was easily beatable if Hillary hadn't been such a poor candidate.  However, Trump's win has empowered and emboldened the religious right.  In fact never in my life have I seen them as powerful as they are now.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/18 at 3:28 pm

I pretty much agree with what you've said OP. The early 10's (09-14) were how I envisioned the 10's 'should be', basically really neon and campy with a futuristic element (smartphones, social media). I felt that this trend would simply amplify, with the late 10's being the peak of it. As its turned out, mid 2014 onwards era has been so damn dark, edgy, and divisive, which is definitely not something I expected 5-6 years ago.

I agree with this.  There were a few turning points that I think brought us here.  The first was the Trayvon Martin incident which basically was the beginning of the racial tension we have today.  Prior to that, racial tension was either on the decline or stagnant, despite the Tea Party's success in flyover country.  The second was Bruce Jenner becoming Caitlyn Jenner.  This was a big deal because most reactionary social conservatives are old enough to remember Bruce Jenner when he was an Olympian.  He was a true man's man and for him to become Caitlyn Jenner was too much for a lot of people.

Here is a video that really shows the outrage over that.  Trigger warning as this may be offense to some.

wlZVyJZGowc

The last major event that caused America to lose its mind was the SCOTUS decision on same-sex marriage.  I had never seen as much outrage and hysteria as I did after the SSM decision.  If the anger and rage meter in America was 6/10 before that, when same-sex marriage was legalized, it amped up to a 9/10.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 3:34 pm

While this is true.  Trump was easily beatable if Hillary hadn't been such a poor candidate.  However, Trump's win has empowered and emboldened the religious right.  In fact never in my life have I seen them as powerful as they are now.

Hillary had some baggage and she made some mistakes but she wasn't a "poor candidate".

She was a good candidate that underestimated her opponent (like the rest of us) and underestimated the hate that was directed towards her (from people on both sides). So as a result, she made some critical mistakes like not visiting Wisconsin which cost her the election.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/27/18 at 3:35 pm

Hilary was terribly poor. Throughout her campaign she focused more on what Trump was doing wrong than her own plans, and once again, the Democratic Party was too complacent and took a lot of minorities voters (especially blacks) for granted.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/27/18 at 3:41 pm

She was a good candidate that underestimated her opponent (like the rest of us) and underestimated the hate that was directed towards her (from people on both sides). So as a result, she made some critical mistakes like not visiting Wisconsin which cost her the election.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how qualified Hillary was or if the hate she received was legitimate.  The right had been demonizing Hillary like no other person since the 1990s.  As somebody who was forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh back in those days, I remember the hysteria when she announced she was running for NY senator as many knew that was a first step towards an eventual Presidential run.  People started talking about how Hillary was the anti-Christ and was going to be the President that destroyed America.  Even in 2008, a lot of conservatives were hoping Obama would win the democratic primary because that would at least keep Hillary out.  It wasn't until after the primary that the real demonization of Obama began.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/27/18 at 4:04 pm

Hilary was terribly poor. Throughout her campaign she focused more on what Trump was doing wrong than her own plans, and once again, the Democratic Party was too complacent and took a lot of minorities voters (especially blacks) for granted.

I agree 100%. She was too caught up on being anti-Trump that she failed to inspire people to vote for her. While I have my personal grievances with Obama, he at least knew how to campaign and portray himself as a progressive. Hillary was unapologetically neo-liberal in both her policies and her overall attitude. When Trump was attacking trade deals and unfair geopolitical affairs the U.S was involved in, Hillary doubled down on those same decisions we made essentially by (unintentionally) as pro status quo, instead of actually trying to up Trump in being portrayed as a populist. I know some people are going to hate this, but screw it, It Should've Been Bernie....

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how qualified Hillary was or if the hate she received was legitimate.  The right had been demonizing Hillary like no other person since the 1990s.  As somebody who was forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh back in those days, I remember the hysteria when she announced she was running for NY senator as many knew that was a first step towards an eventual Presidential run.  People started talking about how Hillary was the anti-Christ and was going to be the President that destroyed America.  Even in 2008, a lot of conservatives were hoping Obama would win the democratic primary because that would at least keep Hillary out.  It wasn't until after the primary that the real demonization of Obama began.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that a lot of the hate Hillary received was unwarranted, especially from the rightwing. However, my issue with the things you brought up were that, during campaign the DNC would use those asinine criticisms she received from the GOP as cover for anybody who dared criticized her. Hence the whole "I'm With Her" slogan she used; she never really felt the need to address some of the genuine grievances of the American people pertaining to her campaign, her previous policy decisions, the corrupt nature of her family's organization, among other things because it was a way for her and her campaign to label anybody who criticized her as sexist.

This, IMO, was VERY disingenuous and led to many traditional democratic voters (particularly in the Midwest) to stay home or to vote for other candidates (be it Jill Stein for the Green Party, Gary Johnson for the Libertarian Party, or even Trump himself for the GOP). Make no mistake, Hillary could've beat Trump, heck she WON the popular vote, it wasn't that hard. She just at the very least had to appeal to what voters in Rust-Belt were craving for. Essentially, she should've moved more to the left after the convention out of respect for Sanders' movement in the primaries, to ensure that she retained the support from Millennials and disenchanted working-class people in the Midwest. If she could've done at least that, she would be the Commander in Chief today.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, that's what I said earlier. She was hated by people on both sides.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 4:17 pm

I agree 100%. She was too caught up on being anti-Trump that she failed to inspire people to vote for her. While I have my personal grievances with Obama, he at least knew how to campaign and portray himself as a progressive. Hillary was unapologetically neo-liberal in both her policies and her overall attitude. When Trump was attacking trade deals and unfair geopolitical affairs the U.S was involved in, Hillary doubled down on those same decisions we made essentially by (unintentionally) as pro status quo, instead of actually trying to up Trump in being portrayed as a populist. I know some people are going to hate this, but screw it, It Should've Been Bernie....

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that a lot of the hate Hillary received was unwarranted, especially from the rightwing. However, my issue with the things you brought up were that, during campaign the DNC would use those asinine criticisms she received from the GOP as cover for anybody who dared criticized her. Hence the whole "I'm With Her" slogan she used; she never really felt the need to address some of the genuine grievances of the American people pertaining to her campaign, her previous policy decisions, the corrupt nature of her family's organization, among other things because it was a way for her and her campaign to label anybody who criticized her as sexist.

This, IMO, was VERY disingenuous and led to many traditional democratic voters (particularly in the Midwest) to stay home or to vote for other candidates (be it Jill Stein for the Green Party, Gary Johnson for the Libertarian Party, or even Trump himself for the GOP). Make no mistake, Hillary could've beat Trump, heck she WON the popular vote, it wasn't that hard. She just at the very least had to appeal to what voters in Rust-Belt were craving for. Essentially, she should've moved more to the left after the convention out of respect for Sanders' movement in the primaries, to ensure that she retained the support from Millennials and disenchanted working-class people in the Midwest. If she could've done at least that, she would be the Commander in Chief today.

I agree with most of what you said.

However, Hillary multiple times tried to reach Rust Belt voters. She did say that she was going to retrain them and invest in renewable energy including "green manufacturing". Nonetheless, a lot of Rust Belt voters ignored that and only focused on the fact that she "hates coal and is going to continue Obama's war on coal". They also focused on her "deplorables" comment.

In addition, exit polls showed that 62% of the voters that said the economy was the biggest factor in the way they voted....voted for Hillary NOT Trump. It makes you wonder....

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 4:25 pm

Problem is she had a lot of gaffes and frankly, she lacks the charm and personal WARMTH her husband made people feel. Her husband, like him or not, connected with your average person (white and black). He was a silver tongued devil. He knew exactly what to say. He oozed this vibe - he could sell you anything. Hillary, all throughout her career, just never had charisma. She never had that common touch. She always seemed a remote, almost condescending figure, and the more hate was piled on her in the media, the worse and more distant she became. The American public likes a candidate they feel they can know. Hillary was cold and alien. Trump for all his craziness seemed like, well, your average ignorant relative.

A person can be a gifted public servant and still be a horrible politician.  Hillary would be a great cabinet person or something of that nature; or even a great legislator. But Presidential material she was not.

She, in my opinion, is in some ways the female Richard Nixon, and Trump was the deranged version of Richard Nixon.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/27/18 at 4:28 pm

I agree with most of what you said.

However, Hillary multiple times tried to reach Rust Belt voters. She did say that she was going to retrain them and invest in renewable energy including "green manufacturing". Nonetheless, a lot of Rust Belt voters ignored that and only focused on the fact that she "hates coal and is going to continue Obama's war on coal". They also focused on her "deplorables" comment.

In addition, exit polls showed that 62% of the voters that said the economy was the biggest factor in the way they voted....voted for Hillary NOT Trump. It makes you wonder....

Good points. It is important to note though that a lot of those same Rust-Belt voters that Hillary lost to Trump formerly voted for Obama, twice. And, I'd argue, that Obama was much more aggressively progressive in his political views (especially in economics) then Hillary ever was, in particular his policies on green energy. The 'War on Coal' was a thing for years, and it accelerated in usage when Obama was president when Fox News always tried to smear him. Nonetheless, Obama still won over those voters due to his cohesive plans that he envisioned that inspired millions to vote for him (or at the very least, make them less inclined to vote for Romney). In other words, even when Obama was running for re-election, he portrayed himself as the charismatic populist trying to continue to evoke 'change'.

In relation to the 2016 election, its not to say that Hillary didn't try at all, but I think that her overall attitude had a bit of smugness. Even when there were ways that she could've tried to get support she made comments like the 50% deplorables comment. Its not to say she was wrong to make that statement (I actually agree with that statement), its just that it was an immense political miscalculation, especially during the peak election season. Perhaps I'm overthinking things a bit, but I'm guessing statements like that (along with her laundry list of scandals and controversies) are what hurt her the most during the election, regardless of the efforts (no matter how big or small) she made in trying to retain rust-belt and Millennial voters.

Overall, public image is important, and if the public perceives you as 'corrupt', its hard to overcome those perceptions.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/27/18 at 4:33 pm

Problem is she had a lot of gaffes and frankly, she lacks the charm and personal WARMTH her husband made people feel. Her husband, like him or not, connected with your average person (white and black). He was a silver tongued devil. He knew exactly what to say. He oozed this vibe - he could sell you anything. Hillary, all throughout her career, just never had charisma. She never had that common touch. She always seemed a remote, almost condescending figure, and the more hate was piled on her in the media, the worse and more distant she became. The American public likes a candidate they feel they can know. Hillary was cold and alien. Trump for all his craziness seemed like, well, your average ignorant relative.

A person can be a gifted public servant and still be a horrible politician.  Hillary would be a great cabinet person or something of that nature; or even a great legislator. But Presidential material she was not.

She, in my opinion, is in some ways the female Richard Nixon, and Trump was the deranged version of Richard Nixon.

I agree.

Hillary Clinton was the condescending principle giving you detention for chewing gum in class.

Donald Trump was the crazy uncle spouting nonsense about illegal aliens on Thanksgiving.

;D.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 4:37 pm

Good points. It is important to note though that a lot of those same Rust-Belt voters that Hillary lost to Trump formerly voted for Obama, twice. And, I'd argue, that Obama was much more aggressively progressive in his political views (especially in economics) then Hillary ever was, in particular his policies on green energy. The 'War on Coal' was a thing for years, and it accelerated in usage when Obama was president when Fox News always tried to smear him. Nonetheless, Obama still won over those voters due to his cohesive plans that he envisioned that inspired millions to vote for him (or at the very least, make them less inclined to vote for Romney). In other words, even when Obama was running for re-election, he portrayed himself as the charismatic populist trying to continue to evoke 'change'.

Obama was more likable. Obama was cool. Obama was inspirational. He was different, and not simply because he was a black man, but because he was idealistic; he was a man of a new generation, for a new generation. He spoke of lofty dreams of a better future. In many ways, he was our generation's JFK. He inspired hopes and dreams and optimism in a way unparalleled in decades. He was also possibly either most gifted, or second most gifted, or at worst, third gifted orator of the last century. Only Reagan, FDR, and Kennedy come close to or surpass Obama's rhetorical skill and power. He was also a warm, devoted family man. He had a cool wife who was reminiscent in some ways of Jackie O while having the stately class of Nancy Reagan and the activism of Eleanor Roosevelt. He had a cute family, two adorable daughters. He was a nice guy.

Hillary was closer to Mitt Romney or John McCain than Obama. Aloof, a bit haughty, condescending. There was baggage from Bill and his affairs and Hillary standing by him, which many people felt made her seem disingenuous. There was baggage from the 90s and the right wing attacks on her herself. There was baggage with her own personality going back to the 90s. Politics, 90% of the time, comes down less to politics and more to personality. And that's what this election came down to, I feel.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 4:41 pm

I agree.

Hillary Clinton was the condescending principle giving you detention for chewing gum in class.

Donald Trump was the crazy uncle spouting nonsense about illegal aliens on Thanksgiving.

;D.

Exactly right. Who wants the teacher/principal/angry mom nagging at you when you could have the fun, crazy uncle? The 2016 election was sort of a dare: "Are we gonna elect a guy we know is nuts? Why the hell not?!" I think after 8 years of stability with Obama, there was a sense on the part of some that Trump's insanity - which came off, to many, as him being GENUINE - not a BSer - not a "politician" - was refreshing. Obama had become America's dad. He was safe. He was a little awkward and goofy (mom jeans anyone)? He wasn't "macho." Certain segments of the public wanted a guy who was more like them, who spoke like them, who they could in some way relate to even if they didn't necessarily agree with him.

2016 was basically 2000 all over again. Bush vs. Gore. The guy people could have a beer with versus the aloof nerd.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 4:52 pm

I agree that Hillary wasn't very charismatic but Trump was even worse when it comes to that category.

Trump sounds so ignorant, brash and insincere anytime that he opens his mouth 8-P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 4:53 pm

In relation to the 2016 election, its not to say that Hillary didn't try at all, but I think that her overall attitude had a bit of smugness. Even when there were ways that she could've tried to get support she made comments like the 50% deplorables comment. Its not to say she was wrong to make that statement (I actually agree with that statement), its just that it was an immense political miscalculation, especially during the peak election season. Perhaps I'm overthinking things a bit, but I'm guessing statements like that (along with her laundry list of scandals and controversies) are what hurt her the most during the election, regardless of the efforts (no matter how big or small) she made in trying to retain rust-belt and Millennial voters.

Overall, public image is important, and if the public perceives you as 'corrupt', its hard to overcome those perceptions.

Fair enough. I agree.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 4:56 pm

I have to disagree on that point. I think Trump rolled an 18 in charisma. It's not about WHAT you say, it's about how you say it, the presentation. Yes, he's brash, he's crude, he's ignorant, but he radiates an almost undefeatable confidence in whatever he is saying. He is a showman, which is no surprise since he was a reality TV star, he knows how to rope in a crowd. He is clueless, but he is also an ace populist and able to work up the masses like few others. Separate your personal dislike of the man from who he is. There's a reason he has a cult following that dwarfs even Reagan's. It's not merely what he says, so much as how he says it. Trump could say ANYTHING - He could reverse course, and welcome in Mexican immigrants by the millions - and people who support him would support it because he'd be able to sell it.

Trump is a horrible businessman but he is terrific at presenting an image and a brand and getting people to follow him.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 5:09 pm

I have to disagree on that point. I think Trump rolled an 18 in charisma. It's not about WHAT you say, it's about how you say it, the presentation. Yes, he's brash, he's crude, he's ignorant, but he radiates an almost undefeatable confidence in whatever he is saying. He is a showman, which is no surprise since he was a reality TV star, he knows how to rope in a crowd. He is clueless, but he is also an ace populist and able to work up the masses like few others. Separate your personal dislike of the man from who he is. There's a reason he has a cult following that dwarfs even Reagan's. It's not merely what he says, so much as how he says it. Trump could say ANYTHING - He could reverse course, and welcome in Mexican immigrants by the millions - and people who support him would support it because he'd be able to sell it.

Trump is a horrible businessman but he is terrific at presenting an image and a brand and getting people to follow him.

Confidence =/= Charisma

Unless, you consider being a proud bigot to be charismatic which a lot of his voters did ::).

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/18 at 5:10 pm

I feel bad for Hilary because there was a clear bias that really prevented her from being elected. From me personality tho, I don't trust her. Something she did. Hilary come off as that "savior" gimmick to me while at least Trump is honest.

That smiled. She's just in it for the power.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:15 pm

Confidence =/= Charisma

Unless, you consider being a proud bigot to be charismatic which a lot of his voters did ::).

I think confidence and charisma go hand in hand, whatever the message is. Trump's strength is that he is like the Shroedinger's cat of politics. He simulatenously believes, and doesn't believe, what he is saying at any given moment, which makes his consistent 180's palpable to his fans; they think of it as some high level chess game on his part. In the moment, he believes, wholeheartedly, in whatever he is saying - and then the next day will wholeheartedly believe in the exact opposite. He is confident in his sense of reality, more than most, to the point that his incoherence becomes a form of charisma. He is a cartoon. He is characters like Tony Soprano made real. That's what his supporters like about him. He is larger than life in that way.

Like I said, I don't think most of his supporters even really support what he says. I bet you a million bucks he could turn around and say we're gonna open up our borders and pardon every illegal immigrant currently in the country and his supporters would lap it up.

Massive confidence + hyperinflated ego + rapidfire speaking style + popularism = charisma.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:19 pm

I feel bad for Hilary because there was a clear bias that really prevented her from being elected. From me personality tho, I don't trust her. Something she did. Hilary come off as that "savior" gimmick to me while at least Trump is honest.

Also, it was Clinton fatigue. Hillary was ALWAYS disliked - even by non-right wingers. Even by progressives. Going back to the 1990s, she was a divisive figure. It's not because she was an outspoken woman - Eleanor Roosevelt was pretty well respected. Amelia Earthart was a national treasure. You ever meet someone who just has something "off' about them? Something slimy that turns you off? They might be the nicest person in the world, with the best intentions, but there's just something you can't put your finger on. That's a big part of what Hillary's problem was. She is just, generally, not a very likable person.

Compare Hillary to say, Queen Elizabeth, or Princess Di, or Kirsten Gillibrand or Jackie O. All women, past and present, in politics. All powerful women. All very much beloved. Hillary doesn't have that "it" factor those women did/do.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/27/18 at 5:25 pm

You also can't underestimate the machismo factor with Trump. He is a fake tough guy. But his tough guy act is real enough for white, rural America. He has a New York accent. He says crazy things. That makes him dangerous, in an interesting way, to people in flyover America who've never been to New York. This is a man who said awful things about Mexican immigrants yet managed to get 33% of Latino men and 26% of Latino women.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 5:41 pm

You didn't trust Hillary but you trust Trump? ???

Trump both during the campaign and during his Presidency has told the most lies more than any other candidate and president in modern history.

Also, you honestly think that Trump wasn't in it for the power? ???

HAHA, that's hilarious ;D.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 5:43 pm

I think confidence and charisma go hand in hand, whatever the message is. Trump's strength is that he is like the Shroedinger's cat of politics. He simulatenously believes, and doesn't believe, what he is saying at any given moment, which makes his consistent 180's palpable to his fans; they think of it as some high level chess game on his part. In the moment, he believes, wholeheartedly, in whatever he is saying - and then the next day will wholeheartedly believe in the exact opposite. He is confident in his sense of reality, more than most, to the point that his incoherence becomes a form of charisma. He is a cartoon. He is characters like Tony Soprano made real. That's what his supporters like about him. He is larger than life in that way.

Like I said, I don't think most of his supporters even really support what he says. I bet you a million bucks he could turn around and say we're gonna open up our borders and pardon every illegal immigrant currently in the country and his supporters would lap it up.

Massive confidence + hyperinflated ego + rapidfire speaking style + popularism = charisma.

You type way too much lol :-X.

You write mini-dissertations with almost every post ;D.

Don't take offense. Just an observation.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/27/18 at 6:18 pm

Also, it was Clinton fatigue. Hillary was ALWAYS disliked - even by non-right wingers. Even by progressives. Going back to the 1990s, she was a divisive figure. It's not because she was an outspoken woman - Eleanor Roosevelt was pretty well respected. Amelia Earthart was a national treasure. You ever meet someone who just has something "off' about them? Something slimy that turns you off? They might be the nicest person in the world, with the best intentions, but there's just something you can't put your finger on. That's a big part of what Hillary's problem was. She is just, generally, not a very likable person.

Compare Hillary to say, Queen Elizabeth, or Princess Di, or Kirsten Gillibrand or Jackie O. All women, past and present, in politics. All powerful women. All very much beloved. Hillary doesn't have that "it" factor those women did/do.

Perfect analyze. You written a spectacularly accurate description. It can't be explain but your sixth sense will tell you.
You didn't trust Hillary but you trust Trump? ???

Trump both during the campaign and during his Presidency has told the most lies more than any other candidate and president in modern history.

Also, you honestly think that Trump wasn't in it for the power? ???

HAHA, that's hilarious ;D.

Trump makes it obvious. For Hilary, its different. Its a strange feeling.

Written By: kingofthetemple on 05/27/18 at 6:24 pm

I knew by  like 2012 the 2010s would be somewhat like this now but still not as bad :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/27/18 at 6:32 pm

Trump makes it obvious. For Hilary, its different. Its a strange feeling.

OK.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/28/18 at 2:04 am

I didn't have any expectations for this decade, because I didn't really care about decades at all when I was 10/11.

Written By: wixness on 05/28/18 at 9:25 am

No. I don't like how the music has changed and how the fashion and general aesthetic has changed as well.

This was how music used to sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSHFaxsxFc

The music we have today sounds too incoherent and bland, like it's trying to sound grown up.

This is the awful stuff we get from the 2010s that sounds incoherent, bland and trying to sound like it's grown up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybo4QvKVHoE

It was seen as cool for guys to wear their hair longer and to look androgynous. I hate how we no longer have that with us.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34700000/emo-emo-boys-34733755-1842-2000.jpg

Even on something non-emo the 2000s aesthetic can be seen here in a video from as late as 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZnvAtxb2qQ

I want the 2010s to be forgotten about until the day I die, if the 2020s are any better.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/28/18 at 1:02 pm

I agree with this 100%.  If there is one thing I would give Trump credit for it's that he always knows what buttons to push, when to push them, and how hard to push them to keep his base happy.  That's why he could pretty much get away with anything and 35-40% of the country would still worship him.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/28/18 at 1:50 pm

I agree with this 100%.  If there is one thing I would give Trump credit for it's that he always knows what buttons to push, when to push them, and how hard to push them to keep his base happy.  That's why he could pretty much get away with anything and 35-40% of the country would still worship him.

Being a con man counts as charisma? I thought it was just being duped or being gullible. Trump is not charismatic AT ALL.

People like JFK, MLK, Bill Clinton, BO, RFK, and so on had actual charisma not President Orange.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/18 at 2:51 pm

I didn't think he was going to win either, now we're pretty much stuck with him. ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/18 at 2:56 pm

No. I don't like how the music has changed and how the fashion and general aesthetic has changed as well.

This was how music used to sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSHFaxsxFc

The music we have today sounds too incoherent and bland, like it's trying to sound grown up.

This is the awful stuff we get from the 2010s that sounds incoherent, bland and trying to sound like it's grown up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybo4QvKVHoE

It was seen as cool for guys to wear their hair longer and to look androgynous. I hate how we no longer have that with us.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34700000/emo-emo-boys-34733755-1842-2000.jpg

Even on something non-emo the 2000s aesthetic can be seen here in a video from as late as 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZnvAtxb2qQ

I want the 2010s to be forgotten about until the day I die, if the 2020s are any better.

The music I can remember liking is from the 1980's.

Written By: wixness on 05/28/18 at 3:27 pm

The music I can remember liking is from the 1980's.

For me, it's mostly from the 2000s. I would really like to know what it is that makes 2000s music sound good to me, so then I won't have to worry about them being lost or whatever (even though I've bought copies of some of the music I like already). I've asked on Reddit and based on someone's recommendation from there, I found these:

https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/boys-like-girls/the-great-escape
https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/avril-lavigne/girlfriend
https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/tatu/all-the-things-she-said
https://www.hooktheory.com/theorytab/view/the-all-american-rejects/dirty-little-secret

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 05/28/18 at 6:03 pm

Nope, I thought the 2010s were going to be this sleek techno decade that had a 2000s vibe. Little did I know that it was only the Early 2010s that would be like that (at least for me). How? 2014 came along xD

Written By: wixness on 05/28/18 at 6:33 pm

Nope, I thought the 2010s were going to be this sleek techno decade that had a 2000s vibe. Little did I know that it was only the Early 2010s that would be like that (at least for me). How? 2014 came along xD

Yeah, I thought the 2010s were gonna be some genderless and technologically advanced future that still kept its 2000s feel. The fashion only became more gendered, and the 2000s aesthetic vaporized.

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/28/18 at 6:39 pm

Yeah, I thought the 2010s were gonna be some genderless and technologically advanced future that still kept its 2000s feel. The fashion only became more gendered, and the 2000s aesthetic vaporized.

Can you give examples of what you mean, when you say fashion became more gendered? Besides hairstyles?

Written By: Dundee on 05/29/18 at 4:26 am

Never really gave a thought on the decade stuff tbh. I remember I was a big fan of the Back to Future saga in the late 2000s (I had the DVD + a dvd player on the road https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31eAl7ZbDfL.jpg ;D) and even back then I was already sure 2015 wouldn't turn like that. So I didn't have "expectations" from the get-go.

That being said technology-wise I remember really being impressed by the technological wonders in 2010-2011, from the ultra flat LED 3d-tvs (we still had a chunky plasma tv and, even worse, a crt tv :o) to the personal assistent SIRI being revealed which blew my mind.
And I also already noticed big changes around 2013 when I started really being into pop culture mind you. So as you can see "the transitional period" was very exciting to follow and definitely delivered :D.

Written By: BornIn86 on 05/29/18 at 8:19 am

Yep. For me, 2013 ended that awesome period.

Written By: wixness on 05/29/18 at 3:30 pm

Can you give examples of what you mean, when you say fashion became more gendered? Besides hairstyles?

Good point, but I think it's generally on there as well. I can also say make up as well, and also outfits somewhat. I'll provide examples below:

https://imgur.com/a/wBEcf5P

I'm not seeing many guys looking like this today, and I hate it so much that I've even made a meme about it and blogged about it:

https://imgur.com/a/fYgKzMV

Written By: ofkx on 05/29/18 at 4:01 pm

I fully expected there to be flying cars by the end of the decade. There was even an article in my English book back in grade school about a flying car that was being tested. I looked it up a couple of years back though and found out that they scrapped the whole project :/.
But hey, at least we have cool self-driving cars now.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 05/30/18 at 5:38 pm

I thought for sure that we would have colonies on Mars by the end of this decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/30/18 at 8:53 pm

I fully expected there to be flying cars by the end of the decade. There was even an article in my English book back in grade school about a flying car that was being tested. I looked it up a couple of years back though and found out that they scrapped the whole project :/.
But hey, at least we have cool self-driving cars now.

Yeah I really thought technology in general would hugely change. I thought we would be all walking around with google glasses today and smartphones would look completely different with rollable displays and James Bond type gadgets. I thought we would have all new technology all around us. There have been major developments this decade such as self driving cars, but nothing notable hit the mainstream. VR is pretty cool, but besides that no huge technological inventions happened that I expected this decade.

I know 2020 is still a year and a half away, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft got it dead wrong as well.  ;D

ozLaklIFWUI

Written By: bchris02 on 05/30/18 at 10:53 pm

ozLaklIFWUI

When you look at who is in the White House, there's no question why that vision of 2020 didn't become a reality.  Most of America wants to go back to 1950.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/18 at 7:47 am

Yeah I really thought technology in general would hugely change. I thought we would be all walking around with google glasses today and smartphones would look completely different with rollable displays and James Bond type gadgets. I thought we would have all new technology all around us. There have been major developments this decade such as self driving cars, but nothing notable hit the mainstream. VR is pretty cool, but besides that no huge technological inventions happened that I expected this decade.

I know 2020 is still a year and a half away, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft got it dead wrong as well.  ;D

ozLaklIFWUI

So Microsoft thinks 2020 will be all "touch screens"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/18 at 7:55 am

2020 will see clearer vision on the screens too!

Written By: bchris02 on 05/31/18 at 10:38 am

That video came out in 2013, when they were desperately trying to promote Windows 8.

Written By: xenzue on 05/31/18 at 9:59 pm

I agree, I hope androgyny goes mainstream in the 20s. I like gendered fashion too (not as much as genderless tho), but almost overkill at this point.

Written By: LooseBolt on 05/31/18 at 10:57 pm

Perfect analyze. You written a spectacularly accurate description. It can't be explain but your sixth sense will tell you.

You mean that she was more than a mere ornament.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/01/18 at 2:02 am

I thought one of the following things would happen at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000:

1. Instant Jetsons
2. Stuff's Gonna 'Splode!/Y2K

So I didn't make too many predictions, but here goes.

I hated the 2000s decade with a passion. HATED it. Hated Bush (or at least since Iraq). Hated the pop/Top 40 music (with the tiniest exceptions such as Britney, Green Day, and Gnarls Barkley).  Hated what Nickelodeon, MTV, and other channels had become. (Oddly enough, VH1 took the longest to decay for me.) It was the polar opposite of the 90s. I was a rock snob, and had just gotten into music in earnest. I listened to classic rock predominantly.

I knew Obama would win (and I voted for him both times) because Bush was such a disaster.

With the vast improvement of pop music from the sorry state it was in during the previous decade, and with the beginning of 90s nostalgia (but let's be honest, I was nostalgic for the 90s in the 2000s), I thought that the 2010s would harken back to a pre-9/11 era of eternal optimism and prosperity, the 90s II.

We're in a golden age of pop music (the best it's been since the 90s), though I still don't like Bieber or the ex-1D guys. BTS already evokes Beatlemania. I don't know if they'll stand the test of time, but the girls are crazy for them, and their "Fake Love" song is pretty catchy. Could they be the Fab Seven? Only time will tell. Halsey is one of my favorite new artists. Bruno gives me Michael vibes. I wish there were more rock, but the Bad Wolves cover of "Zombie" is a good start.

We've got pop artists who exist below the radar/mainstream and aren't afraid to experiment. Eden xo could be huge ne day. Bahari is a 60s/70s-inspired pop-rock girl band with Siren harmonies and excellent musicianship and songwriting. Ruth B had one hit with "Lost Boy," but her other tunes are worth checking out, too.

We're obviously in a golden age of TV. There's so much on TV that I didn't even know existed and is probably long in the tooth already, which makes it frustrating finding a new show to start watching. The Walking Dead will probably end by the time I finish the second season!  ;D I'm looking forward to Better Call Saul and the (supposed) final season of Face Off.

I never thought horror would be in the renaissance it's in right now. I pretty much always knew we'd get the Halloween movie we're getting in October, especially with the whole Rob Zombie backlash.

I would never in a million years have predicted that Donald Trump, Mr. "You're fired!" from "duh Tee-Vee," would be sitting in the Oval Office. I still can't comprehend it, even though I know Russia rigged the election. Nothing adds up, Nothing has been normal since November 9, 2016. I proudly voted for Hillary, and will never understand the hate she still gets. Bernie was cool (though his "Bernie or Bust" fanbase is why we have Trump), but Hillary was a much more realistic candidate, and more likely to still be alive in 4-8 years. I feel she had the best ideas (and the most experience) of the three candidates. If she ran again in 2020, I would proudly vote for her again.

So to answer your question, "Did this decade turn out how you expected it to?," I'd say... Not quite.

Written By: wixness on 06/01/18 at 6:57 am

I thought one of the following things would happen at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000:

1. Instant Jetsons
2. Stuff's Gonna 'Splode!/Y2K

So I didn't make too many predictions, but here goes.

I hated the 2000s decade with a passion. HATED it. Hated Bush (or at least since Iraq). Hated the pop/Top 40 music (with the tiniest exceptions such as Britney, Green Day, and Gnarls Barkley).  Hated what Nickelodeon, MTV, and other channels had become. (Oddly enough, VH1 took the longest to decay for me.) It was the polar opposite of the 90s. I was a rock snob, and had just gotten into music in earnest. I listened to classic rock predominantly.

I knew Obama would win (and I voted for him both times) because Bush was such a disaster.

The politics of the 2000s were more conservative compared to that of the 2010s. I think only a handful of US states had same sex marriage legalized by the end of 2009. I prefer the politics that Obama gave to the US. I don't like 2010s culture much since 2013 because of how it is compared to 2000s culture - one of the only good things about it in my opinion is that racism, homophobia and transphobia are actively being fought against. I didn't like 2000s mainstream music because I felt like that no one was listening to rock, but I hated the 2010s more because rock seemed to have died. The opening music for CNN even changed from not having a rock-like song any more (I generally never really watched the news though).

With the vast improvement of pop music from the sorry state it was in during the previous decade, and with the beginning of 90s nostalgia (but let's be honest, I was nostalgic for the 90s in the 2000s), I thought that the 2010s would harken back to a pre-9/11 era of eternal optimism and prosperity, the 90s II.

We're in a golden age of pop music (the best it's been since the 90s), though I still don't like Bieber or the ex-1D guys. BTS already evokes Beatlemania. I don't know if they'll stand the test of time, but the girls are crazy for them, and their "Fake Love" song is pretty catchy. Could they be the Fab Seven? Only time will tell. Halsey is one of my favorite new artists. Bruno gives me Michael vibes. I wish there were more rock, but the Bad Wolves cover of "Zombie" is a good start.

We've got pop artists who exist below the radar/mainstream and aren't afraid to experiment. Eden xo could be huge ne day. Bahari is a 60s/70s-inspired pop-rock girl band with Siren harmonies and excellent musicianship and songwriting. Ruth B had one hit with "Lost Boy," but her other tunes are worth checking out, too.

I don't like pop music from this decade because it tries to make itself sound grown up, thus sounding bland as a result to me. I can provide you examples if you want. However, I try not to get into new music as much because I'm worried about it getting taken down from digital download sites (Google Play Music, Amazon, iTunes) or streaming sites before I can buy it. I hate how streaming is more popular than digital downloads this decade, but people would rather take advantage of their high speed internet for that than spend time organizing their music collection.

I would never in a million years have predicted that Donald Trump, Mr. "You're fired!" from "duh Tee-Vee," would be sitting in the Oval Office. I still can't comprehend it, even though I know Russia rigged the election. Nothing adds up, Nothing has been normal since November 9, 2016. I proudly voted for Hillary, and will never understand the hate she still gets. Bernie was cool (though his "Bernie or Bust" fanbase is why we have Trump), but Hillary was a much more realistic candidate, and more likely to still be alive in 4-8 years. I feel she had the best ideas (and the most experience) of the three candidates. If she ran again in 2020, I would proudly vote for her again.

So to answer your question, "Did this decade turn out how you expected it to?," I'd say... Not quite.

I would have voted for Bernie (I don't live in the US) because I thought he was the guy that was the most willing to destroy corporate cronyism in America. Sadly he ended up endorsing Hillary. I dislike Trump because he's bowing down to pressure from religious fundamentalists and companies who want to destroy the world for everyone else and make their workers live through hell.

Written By: 2001 on 06/01/18 at 1:39 pm

You mean technologically? Yes. I expected smartphones to largely replace computers, and they did, at least for me. :P

Everything else, no. I'm not sure I had many predictions for how the near future would be like.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/01/18 at 1:53 pm

You mean technologically? Yes. I expected smartphones to largely replace computers, and they did, at least for me. :P

Everything else, no. I'm not sure I had many predictions for how the near future would be like.

Yeah its crazy to think how much faster my smartphone (I have an iPhone 6S) is compared to my MacBook Pro ;D. However, one thing that did catch me by surprise technologically was the advancements made in autonomous vehicles. I remember seeing ads for commercials back in 2007-2008 when luxury cars began to utilize autonomous parallel parking and concept videos of what autonomous vehicles would be like in the early 2010s. So it is pretty bizarre that the technology is already becoming sort of normalized in society. It has a long way to go until it is standardized in the public, but the breakthroughs that have been made in the last 5-6 years have been pretty incredible

But overall, I agree that technological advancements made in this decade weren't as riveting as they were in the 90s or 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...