inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the "Mass Shooting" craze almost over?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/31/18 at 12:17 am

I thought about this a couple of weeks ago, after the tragedy in Texas. 10 people died in that massacre, but CNN practically dropped it from the headlines the very next day.

This is in sharp contrast to previous mass shootings in the past few years, even those with a lower death toll (i.e. Santa Barbara), in which mainstream media would cover those stories for DAYS on end. Hell, Vegas still makes the front headlines every now and then.

It seems as if the general public, as well as the press, has grown jaded with these types of stories where the ensuing conversation never seems to go anywhere. Lots of talk about gun-control legislation, some of which I wholeheartedly support, but hardly anything ever seems to materialize. Maybe the next big scare will be domestic homegrown terrorism via bombs and cars, or advanced serial killers, or narcoterrorism and drug-cartel turmoil within' US borders. America needs a bogeyman, apparently, but what will it be?

Perhaps this is a sign that the culture is beginning to shift. Throughout most of this decade, gun violence was the talk of the town and rightfully so because the current existing gun laws are ridden with loopholes and there's no reason that a high-risk schizophrenic 19-year-old should have the right to stock up on high-capacity weapons. Rigorous mental health evaluations are needed IMO, but I digress.

Subject: Re: Is the "Mass Shooting" craze almost over?

Written By: antidote on 05/31/18 at 2:29 am

There was definitely a lot less of a reaction to Santa Fe than with Stoneman Douglas, and I think it's because people don't even know how to react anymore. The same debates that happen after these shootings always go nowhere, and no real changes in the law can be seen. So after a while, the reaction goes from "oh my god this is so tragic," to "here we go again."

As someone still in high school, I've noticed how cautious a lot of people at school are now. There's no longer that feeling of school shootings being isolated incidents that could never possibly happen to you. Now it's just a part of our reality that we're never 100% safe inside of our own schools, which is pretty sad tbh.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/31/18 at 3:42 am

There was definitely a lot less of a reaction to Santa Fe than with Stoneman Douglas, and I think it's because people don't even know how to react anymore. The same debates that happen after these shootings always go nowhere, and no real changes in the law can be seen. So after a while, the reaction goes from "oh my god this is so tragic," to "here we go again."

As someone still in high school, I've noticed how cautious a lot of people at school are now. There's no longer that feeling of school shootings being isolated incidents that could never possibly happen to you. Now it's just a part of our reality that we're never 100% safe inside of our own schools, which is pretty sad tbh.

It’s sad indeed, and I do support at least SOME legislative reform. In the name of enacting universal background checks, raising the waiting time, EXTREMELY stringent mental-health evaluations, etc.

But by the same token, I know that there are various underlying factors at play here. For one, the family unit is not nearly as cohesive as it used to be. But okay, that can be solved, right? After all, some single parents do an excellent job at raising their children. But those that don’t REALLY don’t. And sometimes evil breeds evil.

Nik Cruz was indeed bullied vigorously, but in a subtle kind of way. He was ostracized. The Santa Fe shooter was too. You rarely hear about the popular, high functioning student from a relatively cohesive family, actually going out and shedding blood in his school halls. The Columbine Shooters seemed to be getting by, compared to most of their fellow school shooters. I will make an exception for them but even in their case, Eric & Dylan were regarded in a semi-negative light by some of their peers.

I am not arguing against stricter gun-control measures. But there’s a bigger picture at play here, and our f-ed up gun laws aren’t the SOLE reason why we hear about and see so much divisiveness, hatred, toxicity and violence in our streets today.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/18 at 7:31 am

I don't think IMO that this "mass shooting" craze is over or will be over anytime soon, you know that somewhere and somebody is going to shoot up some school, church or some type of building and that they'll go on a spree and later on they'll also blame for lack of building protection. ::)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/31/18 at 7:55 am

It's not really a craze anymore. Now, it's basically an "ingrained" part of society (sort of like how Oedipus is the "ingrained pollution" in Thebes).

Written By: karen on 05/31/18 at 10:46 am

I think the title of this post is not quite what the original poster meant it to be.  More they are asking if the media is tired of mass shootings and so not reporting them in quite the same way as they used to.  Instead of endless discussion and analysis most newspapers report the immediate story and then move on within a day or so.

Not living in the US I  can't say really if this is happening or not.  I wonder if there are any differences in circumstances between the most recent shootings which might explain the difference in reporting.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/31/18 at 10:48 am

This is the sad reality.  To most Americans, school shootings are a necessary sacrifice for completely unrestricted gun rights.  Like the Eminem song says "they love their guns more than our children."  That's where we are at in America today.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/31/18 at 12:21 pm

The OP must be one of those Communists™ that are being paid by (((Soros))) to take away our guns. Our guns are our freedoms as Americans. Advocating for any gun control is anti-American™ and is apart of the fear mongering propaganda by the Liberal Media™.

I'm just doing a sarcastic parody of many conservatives/Republicans. Don't take it seriously :-X

Written By: Howard on 05/31/18 at 2:28 pm

It's not really a craze anymore. Now, it's basically an "ingrained" part of society (sort of like how Oedipus is the "ingrained pollution" in Thebes).

and you know that it's going to happen again and again. ::)

Written By: gibbo on 05/31/18 at 4:53 pm

Ummm ... I wouldn't ever call it a "craze". Yoyo's were a craze. Hoola Hoops were a craze.  Massacring our fellow humans is just messed up!  Mental illness and guns are a potent mix!

Written By: mqg96 on 05/31/18 at 5:00 pm

Hell no! A "craze"? "Craze" isn't the right term to use for tragedies, that's for an exciting trend (or toy) going on. The Parkland, Florida shooting was only 3 months ago! The Texas High School shooting was still less than 2 weeks ago. This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen! It's too obvious. Do I need to explain the endless cycle again? If this stuff keeps up along with the police brutality the police is only going to become more militarized one day.

https://pics.me.me/mass-shooting-thoughts-and-prayers-change-facebook-picture-wait-for-28081079.png

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5640fb47e4b0221a5e04c756/t/5a85b0168165f5a236a9048d/1519146136118/Screen+Shot+2018-02-15+at+11.04.50+AM.png

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/18 at 5:51 pm

Unfortunately, mass shootings are going to keep happening until something is done. What can be done?

-Universal background checks
-Three-day waiting period
-Ban of assault-style weapons (i.e. AR15)
-Ban bumpstocks
-End gun show loopholes
-Hold gun manufacturers & the NRA accountable
-End Citizens United*
-Increase funding for mental illness treatment
-Increase funding for education**
-The U.S. has to learn to love our children more than it loves our guns

*By ending Citizens United, you get $$$$ out of politics and therefore the NRA won't be able to own members of Congress.

**By increasing funding for education, maybe some of these would be killers won't fall through the cracks. 

These are just a few of the things that CAN be done. The question is WILL IT?? Until any or all of these happen, I'm afraid that there will be more mass shootings.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/18 at 6:16 pm

Unfortunately, mass shootings are going to keep happening until something is done. What can be done?

Don't know if you have seen a story about a lady in a town near me who was murdered in her mother's driveway on Mother's Day evening. Took 10 shots to the back. The town is Aliquippa, PA.

Aliquippa has amongst the highest per-student education spending in the Commonwealth of PA. In return there are only nine other school districts in the entire Commonwealth that rank lower. If money = better, da Quip would be an oasis instead of the violent backwater that it is.

All "more money" yields is "more money". Aliquippa is the murder capital of its county and no amount of school spending will solve that or the dismal achievement of its students.

Last year we had three school students convicted of a double murder in a dope deal over $140 worth of gange. Several national-level football and basketball players for the Quips are now in jail for various crimes ranging from murder to armed bank robbery (One of these brain surgeons bragged during the robbery that he was a pro basketball player from Quip). Another one lost his full scholarship ride to a prestigious NY College because he participated in an armed robbery with a BB gun.

Money does not fix stupid.

Written By: HeyJealousy on 05/31/18 at 11:28 pm

-Ban bumpstocks
-End gun show loopholes
-End Citizens United*

*By ending Citizens United, you get $$$$ out of politics and therefore the NRA won't be able to own members of Congress.

**By increasing funding for education, maybe some of these would be killers won't fall through the cracks. 

These are just a few of the things that CAN be done. The question is WILL IT?? Until any or all of these happen, I'm afraid that there will be more mass shootings.

Cat

Well, I support every one of those proposals except the third one.

We tried that once. A so-called “assault weapons ban” was enacted in 1994. It was repealed during the Bush Administration. During the time frame in which that law was in place, the Columbine Massacre happened.
Arguably, Columbine was one of the greatest milestones in the “gun debate”.

There were also the massacres in Jonesboro AR and Thurston OR, during that same time frame.

With universal background checks, unprecedentedly rigorous mental-health testing and an increase in the waiting time, we can get a lot accomplished. And as for the Citizens United proposal, that one is long overdue. With a Republican majority in Senate and Congress, it’s not feasible so we need to pressure the Democrats into nominating the best of the best. No more Wall Street-friendly neoliberal BS. Either purge that filth from the Democratic Party, or allow a genuinely progressive “third party” emerge from the grassroots.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/18 at 7:27 am

-Ban bumpstocks
-End gun show loopholes
-End Citizens United*

Cat

Someone needs to solve this dilemma.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/01/18 at 9:55 am

Don't know if you have seen a story about a lady in a town near me who was murdered in her mother's driveway on Mother's Day evening. Took 10 shots to the back. The town is Aliquippa, PA.

Aliquippa has amongst the highest per-student education spending in the Commonwealth of PA. In return there are only nine other school districts in the entire Commonwealth that rank lower. If money = better, da Quip would be an oasis instead of the violent backwater that it is.

All "more money" yields is "more money". Aliquippa is the murder capital of its county and no amount of school spending will solve that or the dismal achievement of its students.

Last year we had three school students convicted of a double murder in a dope deal over $140 worth of gange. Several national-level football and basketball players for the Quips are now in jail for various crimes ranging from murder to armed bank robbery (One of these brain surgeons bragged during the robbery that he was a pro basketball player from Quip). Another one lost his full scholarship ride to a prestigious NY College because he participated in an armed robbery with a BB gun.

Once again you use anecdotal evidence to argue a broad issue.  Going from specific cases to broad generalities is not persuasive argumentation 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/18 at 1:58 pm

Increasing education funding is just ONE of the things that need to be done. If only ONE of what I listed happens, it is not going to solve the problem. It will take a lot on my list for things to change.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/18 at 2:11 pm

Well, I support every one of those proposals except the third one.

We tried that once. A so-called “assault weapons ban” was enacted in 1994. It was repealed during the Bush Administration. During the time frame in which that law was in place, the Columbine Massacre happened.
Arguably, Columbine was one of the greatest milestones in the “gun debate”.

There were also the massacres in Jonesboro AR and Thurston OR, during that same time frame.

With universal background checks, unprecedentedly rigorous mental-health testing and an increase in the waiting time, we can get a lot accomplished. And as for the Citizens United proposal, that one is long overdue. With a Republican majority in Senate and Congress, it’s not feasible so we need to pressure the Democrats into nominating the best of the best. No more Wall Street-friendly neoliberal BS. Either purge that filth from the Democratic Party, or allow a genuinely progressive “third party” emerge from the grassroots.

Yes, there were mass/school shootings that happened during the years but there were LESS of them. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-a-tures/did-the-assault-weapons-b_b_9740352.html

I know these these on my list will not stop ALL of them, but they would stop a few of them-and stopping even ONE is well worth it in my book.

And why does the American public need weapons used in war? Why not allow people to have grenade or missile launchers?

Cat

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/01/18 at 3:03 pm

Yes, there were mass/school shootings that happened during the years but there were LESS of them. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-a-tures/did-the-assault-weapons-b_b_9740352.html

I know these these on my list will not stop ALL of them, but they would stop a few of them-and stopping even ONE is well worth it in my book.

And why does the American public need weapons used in war? Why not allow people to have grenade or missile launchers?

Cat

And like I said, I wholeheartedly support almost every one of those proposals.
But I’m not a single-issue voter and I think it is highly possible to multitask.
Pass sensible gun-control legislation, but we have more crap on our plate to fry. Climate change is a priority too. Criminal justice reform, curbing the mass incarceration problem.
What good is passing one law after another gonna do, when the legal system itself is crooked to the core?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/18 at 3:41 pm

And like I said, I wholeheartedly support almost every one of those proposals.
But I’m not a single-issue voter and I think it is highly possible to multitask.
Pass sensible gun-control legislation, but we have more crap on our plate to fry. Climate change is a priority too. Criminal justice reform, curbing the mass incarceration problem.
What good is passing one law after another gonna do, when the legal system itself is crooked to the core?

There are so many things that are wrong with our country-as you have mentioned climate change, the criminal justice system along with health care, livable wages, voting suppression, campaign finance, etc. etc. But, in order to change things, we have to start somewhere.

Cat

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/01/18 at 5:52 pm

There are so many things that are wrong with our country-as you have mentioned climate change, the criminal justice system along with health care, livable wages, voting suppression, campaign finance, etc. etc. But, in order to change things, we have to start somewhere.

Cat

Well I agree with you there. Even incremental baby steps will do, one by one, if it means addressing and fixing the most pressing problems of this day and age.

Subject: Is the "Mass Shooting" craze almost over?

Written By: Dude111 on 06/01/18 at 7:25 pm

I thought about this a couple of weeks ago, after the tragedy in Texas. 10 people died in that massacre, but CNN practically dropped it from the headlines the very next day.

I wonder if they are getting ready to launch thier NWO plans?

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/02/18 at 9:59 pm

I wonder if they are getting ready to launch thier NWO plans?

LOL. I may not particularly trust the government, but neither am I a delusional Alex Jones follower who swallows up that paranoid psychobabble about "reptilians" and "globalist conspiracies" or what have you.
Mostly because I think that the government, esp. our "elected officials", aren't smart enough to get away with it. Not even close.

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 1:47 am

LF6pU3tLg1I

Check for new replies or respond here...