inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: High school in the early '10s vs. now

Written By: ofkx on 06/03/18 at 2:49 pm

Inspired by Rainbowz's thread ("inspired" but really just a copy ;D)
Early 2010s
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/annistonstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/d3/3d32c908-5331-5461-b62d-528b307c1379/5398b1989784d.image.jpg
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/annistonstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/46/746c7ffb-5ec8-5508-863a-5486b49eac5b/5398b175b9cf7.image.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RI6I4hNesbU/TMx12pFMFFI/AAAAAAAAAVM/CaOoMlmZW4c/s1600/DSC03331.JPG
http://spanish360degrees.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Spanish-4-class-Spring-2011.jpg
https://onedublin.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/csssa-class-of-2011-students.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqHtHEwbluY
http://bookshow.blurb.com/bookshow/cache/P4627284/md/cover_2.jpeg

2017/2018
http://www.northcolonie.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SHS-Honor-Grads-2017-Photo-web.jpg
https://www.westonschools.org/high/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/09/IMG_4903-e1504801099361-1500x922.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/847911393592569856/DlRpvzqz.jpg
http://tworivertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/NEWS-RBR-9.5.jpg
https://oswegocountytoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/MHS-Top10.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f3qwKydPh4

The fashion is obviously WILDLY different. Also, phones are still not allowed in my school but they don't enforce it nearly as much as they did in the early 2010s. My brother went to the same school I'm in now, and his phone was taken away for around a week in 2011 because he was caught texting in class, but they don't care as much now. Lots of kids were caught using their phone in my class but they got a warning at most :o. What other differences do you notice?

Subject: Re: High school in the early '10s vs. now

Written By: ofkx on 06/03/18 at 2:54 pm

Early 2010's high schools looked more mature.

High schoolers now look more clean and hipster-ish.

It's weird that high schoolers looked more mature in the early 2010s than now but middle schoolers are the exact opposite ???.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/18 at 3:07 pm

I was in high school in the early 2010s! From 2010 - 2013 so I've pretty much lived it all. If anyone has any questions, let me know. I would be shocked if it changed much. I remember there were some mature kids but also some who acted like children still. This was also the worst period of my personal life, so I wasn't really into teen culture at all as I was very depressed for the most part.

Phones in my school were fully allowed but there was absolutely no texting allowed in class. Many people still did it though. I wonder if teachers are more relaxed these days. They were super strict in my high school in the early 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 3:12 pm

Was in high school in 2010. I'd be surprised if much has changed. Smartphones were already popular in the beginning of the decade. There wasn't Snapchat, Instagram or Netflix streaming though, but Facebook and Twitter were popular.

People talked about MLG/eSports, but it was in its relative infancy compared to today. Halo and Starcraft were the main games.

People didn't take selfies though. Taking a selfie on a wide-angle 0.2 MP camera? Over my dead body!

Written By: Wobo on 06/03/18 at 3:13 pm

My brother was in highschool in the Early 2010s, i'm going to highschool in September of this year which i'm pretty excited about btw high school in the Early 2010s pretty much looked different looked more mature maybe.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/03/18 at 3:18 pm

My brother was in highschool in the Early 2010s, i'm going to highschool in September of this year which i'm pretty excited about btw high school in the Early 2010s pretty much looked different looked more mature maybe.

What is the dominant subculture in high school these days?  When I was in high school it was the Abercrombie preppy style.  I graduated right as it was shifting to emo.  From there is went to scene then to hipster (though that was always more of a twenty-something fad than a teen fad.)  My perception is that it's kind of gone back to that Abercrombie preppy look that was popular in the early 2000s.  It seems like young guys these days are very clean cut compared to a few years ago.  Am I right on that?

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 3:19 pm

I was in high school in the early 2010s! From 2010 - 2013 so I've pretty much lived it all. If anyone has any questions, let me know. I would be shocked if it changed much. I remember there were some mature kids but also some who acted like children still. This was also the worst period of my personal life, so I wasn't really into teen culture at all as I was very depressed for the most part.

Phones in my school were fully allowed but there was absolutely no texting allowed in class. Many people still did it though. I wonder if teachers are more relaxed these days. They were super strict in my high school in the early 2010s.

Phones weren't allowed in my classes in the late 2000s (2006-2008ish) but by the time we were in Grade 12 we were allowed to do what we wanted including texting, browsing the Internet etc. as long as we weren't being disruptive. (of course it also largely depends on the teacher).

Written By: Wobo on 06/03/18 at 3:20 pm

What is the dominant subculture in high school these days?  When I was in high school it was the Abercrombie preppy style.  I graduated right as it was shifting to emo.  From there is went to scene then to hipster (though that was always more of a twenty-something fad than a teen fad.)  My perception is that it's kind of gone back to that Abercrombie preppy look that was popular in the early 2000s.  It seems like young guys these days are very clean cut compared to a few years ago.  Am I right on that?

I'm still in middle school so i honestly don't know.

Written By: Emman on 06/03/18 at 3:28 pm

Sorry I don't see any difference at all.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/03/18 at 3:31 pm

Teens at the time still liked rock music (as seen in the movie "Chronicle" at the time). Now it's not too popular anymore.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/03/18 at 3:56 pm

HS fashion for me was a mix of 2000s clothing (areo, A&F, etc), 90s influences styles  (bright colors, high top fades, parachute pants, spandex), and 2010s fashion (skinny jeans, snapbacks, fitted clothing, etc). You could pretty much where anything, it was awesome.

Written By: antidote on 06/03/18 at 4:24 pm

For a lot of guys, the whole "hypebeast" trend is pretty popular. If you want a general introduction to the type of fashion in hypebeast culture, I recommend going to Reddit and visiting r/streetwear. If you're a hypebeast, pretty much all you listen to is Soundcloud rap and maybe some other bigger rappers here and there. Younger hypebeasts are pretty into vaping, so it's like a huge meme and all to make fun of underclassmen hypebeasts who vape in the school bathrooms (yes, this actually happens). I'm pretty sure the term hypebeast itself is actually meant as an insult to these types of people but I have no idea what else to call them. Also, like 3/4 of them either part their hair in the middle or have the Meet Me at McDonald's haircut (I have no idea why it's called that).

For the "indie kids," it seems like going back to late 90s fashion is the current trend. Don't really know how to emphasize further on that since yeah, nearly everything about their fashion is just derivative of the late 90s. Also you'll find that Clairo, Tyler the Creator, Brockhampton, Rex Orange County, and a bunch of other random indie artists/bands are what these kids will listen to.

I'd say that both of these groups combined make up like 60% of my school overall. The other 40% still dress enough like it's the early 2010s to the point where they wouldn't stand out on a high school campus in 2011, although hairstyles are definitely different now and there's usually some overlapping of interests between the other 40% and the two groups I talked about above.

I do think it's a pretty cool time to be in high school right now. I started high school in the mid 2010s (I'm graduating a few weeks from now), and I feel like there was nothing really unique about that time period. No one in high school was actually acquainted with mid 2010s hipster culture, it seemed more to us like some college/young adult movement, so there weren't really any subcultures like the two I listed above that high schoolers felt like they could identify with. Nowadays the current culture seems to be tailored a lot more towards a high school aged audience. Many of the popular Soundcloud rappers are around 17-19 years old.

Written By: ofkx on 06/03/18 at 4:47 pm

Correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think vaping was that popular in the early 2010s? I think a third of my class vapes. They think it's edgy 😷

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 4:51 pm

Correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think vaping was that popular in the early 2010s? I think a third of my class vapes. They think it's edgy 😷

Oh yeah, e-cigarette technology as we called them back then were still in their infancy. I don't think it got popular until the middle of the decade.

Written By: antidote on 06/03/18 at 6:22 pm

I think I first heard about vaping around 2015. Wasn't until the 2017-18 school year that it really started to take off among mostly underclassmen. You won't catch class of '18 or '19 vaping in the school bathrooms, lol.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/03/18 at 7:26 pm

Vaping started to really catch on around 2013 or 2014 if I remember correctly but 2015 was the year it seemed like everybody was vaping.  I do know that back in the early '10s, cigarette smoking was a lot more popular.  I smoked back then myself.  It seems like the prevalence of cigarette smoking has dropped off significantly since around 2015, which coincides when vapes became popular.

One thing I was thinking of is it seems like people in the early '10s were a lot more carefree and less uptight about everything.

Written By: Dundee on 06/04/18 at 9:50 am

Oh yeah, e-cigarette technology as we called them back then were still in their infancy. I don't think it got popular until the middle of the decade.
They aren't called e-cigarettes anymore?  ???

Written By: wixness on 06/04/18 at 10:58 am

I tend not to think about high school too much, but I think in the early 2010s, emo would have still be around. Later on, it would go, and then, judging from online interactions, I believe that high school would now be a bit of a hostile place again in certain situations because of a backlash against political correctness. This may not be the case for other schools though.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 11:07 am

Vaping started to get big in my Junior year of high school, so circa Late 2012/Early 2013. It was everywhere by the time I was in college.

Vaping started to really catch on around 2013 or 2014 if I remember correctly but 2015 was the year it seemed like everybody was vaping.  I do know that back in the early '10s, cigarette smoking was a lot more popular.  I smoked back then myself.  It seems like the prevalence of cigarette smoking has dropped off significantly since around 2015, which coincides when vapes became popular.

One thing I was thinking of is it seems like people in the early '10s were a lot more carefree and less uptight about everything.

Yeah Pretty much this. I remember kids my age smoking cigarettes and crazier drugs mind you in early high school. The smokers/druggies in school would go to the local shopping plaza after classes to smoke.

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/18 at 11:12 am

They aren't called e-cigarettes anymore?  ???

I mean we didn't call it vaping.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 11:35 am

High School in the early 2010s from a technological standpoint wasn't really that different from the Late 2010s. In the early 2010s, especially by 2012, smartphones were already pretty common, texting in class wasn't as big as a taboo as it was in the Late 2000s (mainly because kids could easily finesse having their phones in class, the common excuse was "I was just searching up the answers in Google"), apps like Twitter and Instagram were already big, etc.

Snapchat just came out in my Junior year, but I don't remember it being very popular with my age group until College (around when they introduced stories). The main social media of my high school years were facebook, twitter, and instagram. Vine was big in my Senior year of high school, but it died down by the time I got to college (but I'm assuming high schoolers were still using it strongly).

However, culturally things were a lot more different. Artists like Lady Gaga, Kesha, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna dominated high school for girls. Guys, like myself, were heavily into Jay Z, Kanye (before he really fell off the deep end), Eminem (during his renaissance from 2009-2013), Kid Cudi, Drake, Two Chains, and 'The Carter IV Era' of Lil Wayne. Like Zelek said, Rock music was still prevalent, but mostly in the 2010-2011 timeframe, when Screamo and Emo music were on their last legs in popularity and notoriety. Thus the scene/emo subcultures lived on, I would say, till the Summer of 2012.

Many of those scene/emo kids became the forefront of the rising indie/hipster subcultures during the 2012-2013 timeframe due to the massive decline in the Late 2000s/Early 2010s era of Screamo and Emo styled Rock 'music' (you could tell I detested it ;D) and the simultaneous rise in popularity of the more indie styled rock music of the mid 2010s. By 2013-2014 everybody my age (including me) were heavily influenced by the hipster style; flannel shirts, Timberlakes, Chuck Taylors, Beards (especially with the Movember campaign), straight legged jeans (typically cuffed at the ankle) & Joggers for guys; high waisted jeans, 90s style 'Mom Jeans', crop tops, flannel shirts (as well), Nirvana shirts, and Yoga Pants for girls.

So in a sense, the major differences I notice between teens in the early 2010s and teens in the late 2010s are that the prevalence of subcultures were more entranced in the youth mindset in the early 2010s than it is now. Many of the stereotypical subcultures of the Late 2000s (Preppy, Urban, Emo, Skater, etc.) lived on for much of my high school years. The only difference was that from a technological standpoint, we were closer in relation to teenagers of today than we were to teenagers of the Late 2000s due to smartphones becoming standardized.

However, music in the early 2010s was in the electropop era, while nowadays seems to be a fusion of EDM (which was big in the mid 2010s, around when I graduated) and Hip-Hop music.

To give you a clearer example, I'll link videos describing the youth culture of 2012 and the youth culture of 2017:

2012:

Jc7THBTaiGc

2017:

mQJ9d69J2eI

Theres a notable difference in musical styles from just 5-6 years ago. The music of 2010-mid 2013 had more in common (stylistically & artistically and in relation to the popular artists at the time, etc.) to the Late 2000s than it does with the Late 2010s. Not to bring generationology into the mix, but you could say that the 2010-2013 era was like the last hurrah for Gen Y Era Pop Culture, especially in relation towards music.

So I'd say from a technological standpoint the early 2010s & late 2010s aren't that different. However, from a cultural standpoint (fashion, music, trends, etc.) it was pretty different.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/04/18 at 11:44 am

Before I graduated in 2010, people still noticeably had MP3 players. Even if I'm convinced they were non existent by 2011, I'm just trying to throw my 2 cents in.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/18 at 12:36 pm

So I'd say from a technological standpoint the early 2010s & late 2010s aren't that different. However, from a cultural standpoint (fashion, music, trends, etc.) it was pretty different.

I would say it's the opposite. The culture is very similar to me, however the technology has changed quite a bit. Try using a smartphone from 2011, it won't go very well when you have to squint your eyes on thr 640p display and wait 30 seconds for a page on an app to load. Not to mention no smartwatches and VR devices as well back then. The tech and politics have changed quite a bit, culture not so much. So many artists from the early '10s are still relevent today and fashion isn't even drastically different.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/04/18 at 12:50 pm

High School in the early 2010s from a technological standpoint wasn't that different from the Late 2010s. In the early 2010s, especially by 2012, smartphones were already pretty common. Texting in class wasn't as big as a taboo as it was in the Late 2000s (mainly because kids could easily finesse having their phones in class, the common excuse was "I was just searching up the answers in Google"), apps like Twitter and Instagram were already big, etc.

Snapchat just came out in my Junior year, but I don't remember it being very popular with my age group until College (around when they introduced stories). The leading social media of my high school years were facebook, twitter, and Instagram. Vine was big in my Senior year of high school, but it died down by the time I got to college (but I'm assuming high schoolers were still using it actively).

However, culturally things were a lot more different. Artists like Lady Gaga, Kesha, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna dominated high school for girls. Guys, like myself, were heavily into Jay Z, Kanye (before he fell off the deep end), Eminem (during his renaissance from 2009-2013), Kid Cudi, Drake, Two Chains, and 'The Carter IV Era' of Lil Wayne. As Zelek said, Rock music was still prevalent, but mostly in the 2010-2011 timeframe, when Screamo and Emo music were on their last legs in popularity and notoriety. Thus the scene/emo subcultures lived on, I would say, till the Summer of 2012.

Many of those scene/emo kids became the forefront of the rising indie/hipster subcultures during the 2012-2013 timeframe due to the massive decline in the Late 2000s/Early 2010s era of Screamo and Emo styled Rock 'music'. (you could tell I detested it ;D) And the simultaneous rise in popularity of the more indie styled rock music of the mid-2010s. By 2013-2014 everybody my age (including me) were heavily influenced by the hipster style; flannel shirts, Timberlake's, Chuck Taylors, Beards (especially with the Movember campaign), straight legged jeans (typically cuffed at the ankle) & Joggers for guys. Then you had high waisted jeans, 90s style 'Mom Jeans,' crop tops, flannel shirts (as well), Nirvana shirts, and Yoga Pants for girls.

So in a sense, the significant differences I notice between teens in the early 2010s and teens in the late 2010s are that the prevalence of subcultures was more entranced in the youth mindset in the early 2010s than it is now. Many of the stereotypical subcultures of the Late 2000s (Preppy, Urban, Emo, Skater, etc.) lived on for much of my high school years. The only difference was that from a technological standpoint, we were closer to teenagers of today than we were to teenagers of the Late 2000s due to smartphones becoming standardized.

However, music in the early 2010s was in the electropop era, while nowadays seems to be a fusion of EDM (which was prominent in the mid-2010s, around when I graduated) and Hip-Hop music.

To give you a clearer example, I'll link videos describing the youth culture of 2012 and the youth culture of 2017:

2012:

Jc7THBTaiGc

2017:

mQJ9d69J2eI

There's a notable difference in musical styles from just 5-6 years ago. The music of 2010-mid 2013 had more in common (stylistically & artistically and with the famous artists at the time, etc.) to the Late 2000s than it does with the Late 2010s. Not to bring generations into the mix, but you could say that the 2010-2013 era was like the last hurrah for Gen Y Era Pop Culture, especially in relation towards music.

So I'd say from a technological standpoint the early 2010s & late 2010s aren't that different. However, from a cultural perspective (fashion, music, trends, etc.) it was pretty distinct.
Damn! This post is an excellent essay on how high school was in the early 10s. You did good job man! The thing I wanted to point out though was the technological aspect. Smartphones may have become the standard, but other devices such as digital cameras and MP3s/iPods were still the norm during that time. Plus, the tablets, VR, and smartwatches weren't a phenomenon yet. I remember millions of people still using them and that considering the early smartphones weren't that advanced compared to the ones of today.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 1:07 pm

I would say it's the opposite. The culture is very similar to me, however the technology has changed quite a bit. Try using a smartphone from 2011, it won't go very well whwn you have to squint your eyes on thr 640p display and wait 30 seconds for a page on an app to load. Not to mention no smartwatches and VR devices as well back then. The tech and politics have changed quite a bit, culture not so much. So many artists from the early '10s are still relevent today and faahion isn't even drastically different.

Damn! This post is an excellent essay on how high school was in the early 10s. You did good job man! The thing I wanted to point out though was the technological aspect. Smartphones may have become the standard, but other devices such as digital cameras and MP3s/iPods were still the norm during that time. Plus, the tablets, VR, and smartwatches weren't a phenomenon yet. I remember millions of people still using them and that considering the early smartphones weren't that advanced compared to the ones of today.

I agree with both of you. I was just trying convey that smartphones were already pretty common by 2011-2012, but obviously smartphones have come a long way. In 2010, I remember Blackberrys still being very popular, with BBM being the iMessage of its day. The iPhone was rising in popularity due to the success of iPhone 4, but the operating systems of ios 4, 5, & 6 were still using the old school templates for their operating systems that were established by the original OS of the original iPhone, during 2010-2013:

ios 4
https://udger.com/pub/img/os_screenshots/iOS4.jpg

ios 5
http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Unified-iPod-for-iOS-5.png

ios 6
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/archive/7/7f/20130224034156%21IOS-6-Screenshot.jpg

Starting with ios 7, which debuted in the Fall of 2013, ios began to go in a more minimalist direction, due to the rising competition with Android with their more minimalist templates for their operating systems:

ios 7
https://gigaom.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1/2013/06/ios-7-on-iphone-4.jpg

Apple has been using the template established by ios 7 since. I'm actually streaming this year's WWDC right now (they just introduced the new Group Facetime feature, thats gonna make flirting with girls kinda.... awkward.... to say the least ;D), and it seems ios 12 is going to continue using the ios 7 template. Although they did introduce some new concepts for Augmented Reality for various apps.

In the relation to wearable technology, smartwatches have also rose immensely in popularity. Apple Watch actually rose in usage and popularity by around 60% in 2017 alone.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/04/18 at 1:21 pm

I agree with both of you. I was trying to convey that smartphones were already pretty common by 2011-2012, but obviously, smartphones have come a long way. In 2010, I remember Blackberrys still being very popular, with BBM being the iMessage of its day. The iPhone was rising in popularity due to the success of iPhone 4, but the operating systems of ios 4, 5, & 6 were still using the old school templates for their operating systems that were established by the original OS of the original iPhone, during 2010-2013:

Ios 4
https://udger.com/pub/img/os_screenshots/iOS4.jpg

ios 5
http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Unified-iPod-for-iOS-5.png

ios 6
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/archive/7/7f/20130224034156%21IOS-6-Screenshot.jpg

Starting with ios 7, which debuted in the Fall of 2013, ios began to go in a more minimalist direction, due to the rising competition with Android with their more minimalist templates for their operating systems:

ios 7
https://gigaom.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/1/2013/06/ios-7-on-iphone-4.jpg

Apple has been using the template established by ios 7 since late 2013. I'm streaming this year's WWDC right now (they just introduced the new Group Facetime feature, that's going to make flirting with girls kind of.... awkward.... saying the least, ;D). It seems ios 12 is going to continue using the ios 7 templates although they did introduce some new concepts for Augmented Reality for various apps.

In the relation to wearable technology, smartwatches have also risen immensely in popularity. Apple Watch rose in usage and popularity by around 60% in 2017 alone.
It's all good, but still you did a good job on your post. It's amazing how much has changed since 2010 especially in the tech world. It makes you wonder how advanced we will truly be in another ten years.

And when does that WWDC event take place?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 1:26 pm

It's all good, but still you did a good job on your post. It's amazing how much has changed since 2010 especially in the tech world. It makes you wonder how advanced we will truly be in another ten years.

And when does that WWDC event take place?

I agree and its going on NOW. Just go to the Apple website and you can easily stream it there.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 2:59 pm

Some highlights from the 2018 WWDC:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-wwdc-2018-smartly-sees-more-polish-than-jaw-dropping-changes-ios12-facetime-arkit-siri/

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/18 at 3:01 pm

Some highlights from the 2018 WWDC:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-wwdc-2018-smartly-sees-more-polish-than-jaw-dropping-changes-ios12-facetime-arkit-siri/

I've already watched Google I/O 2017 before but thanks for the link.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 3:15 pm

I've already watched Google I/O 2018 before but thanks for the link.

Fixed it for you ;).

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/18 at 3:28 pm

Fixed it for you ;).

The joke is Apple is one year behind :P

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/04/18 at 3:30 pm

The joke is Apple is one year behind :P

LOL. Yeah Apple has been playing catchup to Android for years now.

Written By: wixness on 06/04/18 at 3:57 pm

Teens at the time still liked rock music (as seen in the movie "Chronicle" at the time). Now it's not too popular anymore.

I miss those times.

Written By: Henf89 on 06/04/18 at 6:34 pm

One big difference is that Facebook was very much a social hub where all the social media interactions occured. Snapchat, Instagram, were in their absolute infancy and no one really used them much. Also social pics still being taken on digital cameras was quite normal as smartphone cameras weren't great like they are today. Its an incredibly nostalgic era for me (I was aged 14-18) from jan 2010 to december 2013.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/18 at 10:25 pm

Yeah I remember still using digital cameras and camcorders in the early 2010s and MP3 players/IPods. All of these things are combined into one on your smartphone now, and they are pretty high quality too. No need for portable gaming systems too, it can all be on your smartphone now.

Written By: 2001 on 06/04/18 at 10:35 pm

Yeah I remember still using digital cameras and camcorders in the early 2010s and MP3 players/IPods. All of these things are combined into one on your smartphone now, and they are pretty high quality too. No need for portable gaming systems too, it can all be on your smartphone now.

Delete this part of your post. Final warning. Thank you.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/18 at 11:12 pm

Lol I knew you'd hate that part.  ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 7:39 pm

Lmbo Slowpoke, I was saying the same thing 2013 when people were saying how mobile gaming will kill handheld gamming.Us Nintendo fans already know that as long as Nintendo is around there will always be a handheld market.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 7:51 pm

Bruh this post freaked me out I thought this was Chuckie or Catwoman about to perma ban somebody!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jM87u-eZ9F8/maxresdefault.jpg

https://orig00.deviantart.net/fb4a/f/2015/362/d/9/catwoman_special___razor_sharp_claws_by_overpower_3rd-d9lvn8w.png

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:01 pm

I'm glad I had it in the early 10s instead of the late 10s. It seems like the Wild Wild West now from what I've seen! :o ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:05 pm

I'm glad I had it in the early 10s instead of the late 10s. It seems like the Wild Wild West now from what I've seen! :o ;D
Ayee Easy E man. I know we probably haven't encountered each other yet, but i'm new here and I been reading your posts and you seem pretty cool.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:06 pm

Ayee Easy E man. I know we probably haven't encountered each other yet, but i'm new here and I been reading your posts and you seem pretty cool.

The name's Eric, and thank you for acknowledging my greatness. ;) ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:21 pm

The name's Eric, and thank you for acknowledging my greatness. ;) ;D
You welcome, I see you must be an Easy E fan. Easy E is a legend, it's sad he died. It's interesting that you were born the same year he passed away.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:22 pm

You welcome, I see you must be an Easy E fan. Easy E is a legend, it's sad he died. It's interesting that you were born the same year he passed away.

That's why I chose the name. ;)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:26 pm

That's why I chose the name. ;)
I was born the same day the N64 came out in Japan.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:38 pm

I was born the same day the N64 came out in Japan.

Mindblown! :o

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:39 pm

Mindblown! :o
And my name is Mario, so I'm a Nintendo baby thru and thru.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:41 pm

And my name is Mario, so I'm a Nintendo baby thru and thru.

yeah I saw your YouTube username!

I myself was a Nintendo baby until the almighty PS2 came along.  8)

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/05/18 at 8:43 pm

What's up Eazy. I haven't seen you in a while.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:45 pm

What's up Eazy. I haven't seen you in a while.

You can still call me Eric, Max.  ::) ;D
and yeah, I've been battling health issues the past month. :(

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:48 pm

You can still call me Eric, Max.  ::) ;D
and yeah, I've been battling health issues the past month. :(
Oh wow, hope your feeling better Eric :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:49 pm

Oh wow, hope your feeling better Eric :)

I fell MUCH better now, but my allergies have been out of control this year.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:54 pm

That's good to hear, hope to have you on a hangout someday.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 8:55 pm

Black Panther's older brother y'all hahaha!

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 8:58 pm

Oh really, that's cool. An East coast dude with a west coast rapper username.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 8:59 pm

Oh really, that's cool. An East coast dude with a west coast rapper username.

Actually a mid westerner. I identify slightly as a southerner due to my family heritage and the way I was raised. ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 9:02 pm

You think I resemble kilmonger a little bit, wow that's a new one. ??? ;D

I was actually talking about the user on this site. You remember TheReignMan99? His username is "Black Panther" now and his posts always remind me of a younger version of you! I created a thread awhile ago about the users on this site who'd seem like siblings or cousins. It was a lot of fun  ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 9:03 pm

Actually a mid westerner. I identify slightly as a southerner due to my family heritage and the way I was raised. ;)
Ok lol, I thought you and Black panther were actual brothers since there are quite a few legitimate siblings I see on the forum sites. What state you live in?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:04 pm

I was actually talking about the user on this site. You remember TheReignMan99? His username is "Black Panther" now and his posts always remind me of a younger version of you! I created a thread awhile ago about the users on this site who'd seem like siblings or cousins. It was a lot of fun  ;D

Aww I see. Shawn did kinda remind me a bit. ;D

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:04 pm

Ok lol, I thought you and Black panther were actual brothers since there are quite a few legitimate siblings I see on the forum sites. What state you live in?

Missouri. Reason I identify as a mid west and partial southerner is because of how southern Missouri is. :o ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 9:07 pm

Missouri. Reason I identify as a mid west and partial southerner is because of how southern Missouri is. :o ;D
Oh nice, I guess you live in the St Louis area.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:08 pm

Oh nice, I guess you live in the St Louis area.

Yea in a suburb. I'm obviously a big Cardinals and Blues fan.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 9:11 pm

Yea St Louis have an intresting way of talking, Nelly definitely put yall city on the map.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 9:11 pm

Yeah, I know you were pissed that the Rams moved from St. Louis to LA which was wrong, but I do give that franchise credit for finally making the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and y'all are a young team on the rise in the NFC West, but our Falcons beat you again just like the 2004-05 divisional round lol.

Also, are you also tired of Golden State and Cleveland in the NBA finals every year!  8-P

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:14 pm

Yeah, I know you were pissed that the Rams moved from St. Louis to LA which was wrong, but I do give that franchise credit for finally making the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and y'all are a young team on the rise in the NFC West, but our Falcons beat you again just like the 2004-05 divisional round lol.

Also, are you also tired of Golden State and Cleveland in the NBA finals every year! 8-P

Yes, Yes I am. At least the NHL has different guys in there. I don't want the NBA to revert back to the 60s when it was the same franchises every year. I've been more excited watching hockey this year than basketball. Even though my Blues didn't make the cut. >:( >:( >:(

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 9:18 pm

Yes, Yes I am. At least the NHL has different guys in there. I don't want the NBA to revert back to the 60s when it was the same franchises every year. I've been more excited watching hockey this year than basketball. Even though my Blues didn't make the cut. >:( >:( >:(

the Celtics and Lakers faced 4 times in the 80's but that was every OTHER year, different than the Warriors and Cavs going FOUR YEARS in a row I mean damn lol.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 9:24 pm

Ane the rapper Chingy.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:25 pm

the Celtics and Lakers faced 4 times in the 80's but that was every OTHER year, different than the Warriors and Cavs going FOUR YEARS in a row I mean damn lol.

Yup and you also had the Rockets and Bad Boy Pistons in there as well during the 80s.  But instead of a trilogy, we get the fourth bout that honestly I DID NOT WANT! >:(
I wish the Rockets hadn't choked. Despite the postseason issue, I've actually enjoyed the NBA MUCH more than NFL. I also enjoy  MLB, NHL, NCCA  more than NFL now.It's ridiculous, it isn't the same league that I fell in love with nearly 20 years ago. :\'(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:26 pm

Yea St Louis have an intresting way of talking, Nelly definitely put yall city on the map.

Yes I myself has a bit of a southern accent when I speak. ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 9:28 pm

Yes I myself has a bit of a southern accent when I speak. ;D
Yea I can see, the word hair is pronounced Here. I always found yall accent pretty country. Even Nelly agrees with me Y5qKNlcUwKs

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:32 pm

Yea I can see, the word hair is pronounced Here. I always found yall accent pretty country. Even Nelly agrees with me
Y5qKNlcUwKs

Yup he was THE man during my formative years.  :) Nelly pretty much defined what it was like to be from these parts.  ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 9:34 pm

Yup and you also had the Rockets and Bad Boy Pistons in there as well during the 80s.  But instead of a trilogy, we get the fourth bout that honestly I DID NOT WANT! >:(
I wish the Rockets hadn't choked. Despite the postseason issue, I've actually enjoyed the NBA MUCH more than NFL. I also enjoy  MLB, NHL, NCCA  more than NFL now.It's ridiculous, it isn't the same league that I fell in love with nearly 20 years ago. :\'(

I'm glad the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl this year and RAN the ball in field goal range unlike the Falcons did last year, but yeah, the anthem protest controversy is so annoying. How about the vets who suffer PTSD everyday or the vets who commit suicide? Are we really honoring vets just because of standing up for the flag? It doesn't matter if we're not taking action. The flag is just symbolism. One nation under GOD is the most important part to me, and if America represents equality and a chunk of America isn't being equal towards each other, then people have the right to protest or kneel. Tim Tebow kneeled during the anthem in 2011 for abortions and everybody was praising him then. Hmmmm America  ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/05/18 at 9:38 pm

I'm glad the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl this year and RAN the ball in field goal range unlike the Falcons did last year, but yeah, the anthem protest controversy is so annoying. How about the vets who suffer PTSD everyday or the vets who shoot themselves. Are we really honoring vets just because of standing up for the flag? It doesn't matter if we're not taking action. The flag is just symbolism. One nation under GOD is the most important to me, and if America represents equality and a chunk of America isn't being equal towards each other, then people have the right to protest or kneel. Tim Tebow kneeled during the anthem in 2011 for abortions and everybody was praising him then. Hmmmm America  ???

I agree 100% about the anthem the whole point of it had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or anthem, it was about making a point.
But the anthem isn't the reason for the decline of the product, it's because of the over saturation, commercialization, and watering down of the league. The games now are just like baseball games, but a little worse cause it's FREAKING FOOTBALL. It's not the fun, testosterone filled, cutting edge sport that a fell in love with.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 9:43 pm

I agree 100% about the anthem the whole point of it had nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or anthem, it was about making a point.
But the anthem isn't the reason for the decline of the product, it's because of the over saturation, commercialization, and watering down of the league. The games now are just like baseball games, but a little worse cause it's FREAKING FOOTBALL. It's not the fun, testosterone filled, cutting edge sport that a fell in love with.

and now coming into 2018 they're gonna start the process of eliminating kickoffs by changing the kickoff rule and you'll have to tackle differently too by not using your helmet. I see what you're saying though and I agree. I will always be a college football and NFL fan first. That's my favorite sport, and the best football recruits and NFL draft picks come straight out of Georgia too.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/18 at 9:48 pm

and college football was way better than the NFL the past season too.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 9:54 pm

Yup he was THE man during my formative years.  :) Nelly pretty much defined what it was like to be from these parts.  ;D
I bet, Nelly was a big part of hip hop in the early 2000s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/06/18 at 1:03 pm

LMFAO

I thought I was the only one seen the resemblance.

Written By: wixness on 06/06/18 at 6:47 pm

I'm not sure if this has been widely reported on Western media, but I think something like this could have been the final nail in emo's coffin: https://web.archive.org/web/20120430073527/http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/03/10/199751.html

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/06/18 at 6:53 pm

I'm glad the Patriots beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl this year and RAN the ball in field goal range unlike the Falcons did last year.

I thought the Eagles won the super bowl this year. ???

Written By: ofkx on 06/06/18 at 7:30 pm

You know, my school still has a "no emo hairstyles" rule (yes, it literally says that) in the annual rules list they hand out even though emo's dead. Actually, no long hair is allowed for boys. I had this hairstyle when I was around 10 till I was 12ish and they used to tell me cut it but I ignored them till they threatened to suspend me ;D
http://hairstylesforone.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/13-4.jpg

Written By: ofkx on 06/06/18 at 7:35 pm

Another thing that's different from early 2010s high school is that the most popular phones during 2010-2011 were Blackberrys, and iPhones were not as common as they are now.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 06/06/18 at 7:35 pm

You know, my school still has a "no emo hairstyles" rule (yes, it literally says that) in the annual rules list they hand out even though emo's dead. Actually, no long hair is allowed for boys. I had this hairstyle when I was around 10 till I was 12ish and they used to tell me cut it but I ignored them till they threatened to suspend me ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Written By: ofkx on 06/06/18 at 7:37 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Yep ;D. It's a private school and they REALLY care about appearance (but they're not as strict now).

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/10/18 at 7:53 pm

Also red hair among girls was popular during my high school+ years in the early 2010s.

Written By: xenzue on 06/10/18 at 8:08 pm

Does 2013 count as the early 2010s? That was my first year of High School. I remember the Harlem Shake being big, something like that wouldn't happen nowadays. Our school video did one and it was so cringe lmao.

I also remember Vine being huge, while snapchat was growing. We used to do dances like the do it like me challenge or hit the quan, though that's definitely more a mid 2010s thing.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/18 at 8:15 pm

Does 2013 count as the early 2010s?

Yes it does. The early 2010s lasted until April 30th, 2013. May 1st, 2013 was the first day of the mid 2010s. So 2013 is very well still considered an early 2010s year. Culturally it is definitely more early than mid imo but still quite a transitional year and a very unique year as well.

I always think pop culturally the mid 2010s began in around September/October of 2013. That's when you already saw a few trap songs pop up and music change from its unique 2013 sound (dominated by disco, electropop, and sounds that were only popular that year) to a mid 2010s sound that we are familiar with in 2014 and 2015.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/10/18 at 8:27 pm

That's when you already saw a few trap songs pop up

How do you "see" songs?

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/10/18 at 8:50 pm

Does 2013 count as the early 2010s? That was my first year of High School.

Yes, 2013 is early 2010s.

Written By: ofkx on 06/10/18 at 9:04 pm

How do you "see" songs?

Echolocation maybe? lol

Written By: wixness on 06/10/18 at 9:08 pm

Your school sucks. Why would they make such a rule? Gender cops. Tell them that I will not send my children to that school. Unless you are being taught in military school or maybe even private school, I want it to be made illegal for them to do that.

Written By: 2001 on 06/10/18 at 10:31 pm

Your school sucks. Why would they make such a rule? Gender cops. Tell them that I will not send my children to that school. Unless you are being taught in military school or maybe even private school, I want it to be made illegal for them to do that.

You'd probably prefer my school: they banned facial hair (and this was in the 2000s) ;D

My middle school in the mid-2000s banned hair gel (basically a stop gap on the spikey hair trend at the time) and trousers that hung below the waist (against the low-rise jeans trend of the time). Nobody listened to any of those rules though.

Written By: Encoder319 on 06/11/18 at 12:47 am

Kids no longer using Facebook?

Written By: duenas8 on 06/11/18 at 1:58 am

High school in the early 2010’s be like
0sqb_C0x_Xo

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/18 at 5:24 am

Kids should not be on FB, there is a minimum age of 13 years old!

Written By: ofkx on 06/11/18 at 11:35 am

51% of 13-17 year olds use Facebook, down from 71% in 2015. 72% use Instagram and 69% use Snapchat, so yeah, Facebook is the least popular one. And if the trend continues, it'll be dead (for teens) by 2023.

Written By: ofkx on 06/11/18 at 11:40 am

Eh, it's not really that big a deal :P. They're not as strict now as they were then, and they let stuff like undercuts slide.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/11/18 at 1:35 pm

0sqb_C0x_Xo

Yeah Project X was huge with my generation (arguably our cohort's Mean Girls, in terms of popularity and cult status). The movie essentially set the precedent on how wild high school parties should be ;D.

Written By: wixness on 06/11/18 at 1:37 pm

Eh, it's not really that big a deal :P . They're not as strict now as they were then, and they let stuff like undercuts slide.

I still hate that barely any guys these days are wearing their hair long. The last time I saw this was back in the early 2010s. Now, most guys have a stupid haircut that looks like this or some variation of it:

https://exsecratus.com/wp-content/uploads/parser/short-back-and-sides-long-on-top-hairstyles-1.png

Written By: Wobo on 06/11/18 at 2:02 pm

0sqb_C0x_Xo

I remember Project X  ;D.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/11/18 at 4:09 pm

Yeah Project X was huge with my generation (arguably our cohort's Mean Girls, in terms of popularity and cult status). The movie essentially set the precedent on how wild high school parties should be ;D.

Project X is one of those movies you wish you could have played a role every time you watch it. Its brilliant at everything it tries to do and has a deep message to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...