inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What urban styles are in (controversial thread don't read if easily offend)

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/03/18 at 6:04 pm

So I been watching and reading up on some of my fictional and non-fictional idols - the gangsters, the dealers, etc. For the last year I've grown my hair long and maybe I'll do it some more but long hair unless you got an undercut and you tie it in a big ass bun strikes me as being very white. I wanna get the styles that the Italian, Latino and Arabic tough guys in Brooklyn got going. I don't wanna look like some shaggyhaired white person. So give me some suggestions as to cuts. I been wearing goddamn denim on denim since 1994 and that too is time go to. I wanna dress more "urban"

What would the modern day Tony Montana wear out on the street if he was real? What's the replacement for the sleazy Tony Manero leisure suit? What's the 2018 of a wide collared dress shirt? That maschimo sorta look.

I'm talking about Italian, Latino and Arabic subcultures here, like the boys who used to duke it out on 13th avenue.

And yes, I did warn you this would be a controversial thread, so you don't say I'm purposely creating drama

Subject: Re: What urban styles are in (controversial thread don't read if easily offend)

Written By: 2001 on 06/03/18 at 6:42 pm

Blank leather jacket and leather shoes (brown or black), with dress shirt underneath and dark blue or black skinny jeans.

As for hair, keep the sides short (the same length as your beard). Basically an undercut.

With that I think you'd be 90% of the way there. Maybe some earnings or tattoos too or something ;D

Subject: Re: What urban styles are in (controversial thread don't read if easily offend)

Written By: xenzue on 06/05/18 at 3:19 am

Blank leather jacket and leather shoes (brown or black), with dress shirt underneath and dark blue or black skinny jeans.

As for hair, keep the sides short (the same length as your beard). Basically an undercut.

With that I think you'd be 90% of the way there. Maybe some earnings or tattoos too or something ;D

That look is too middle America for what Bones is looking for, I think he's looking for something different.

If you want to cut your hair short, look for a Dominican or Black-owned barbershop and get your hair cut there. Medium/shoudler length curtained hair or shaved sides near the temple and ear (medium-length everywhere else) is in right now, so you don't have to change your hair drastically. Avoid a typical undercut unless if you're planning to texturize your hair (curly). If you really want an undercut, follow @barbershopconnect on Instagram and look for styles you like. Beard length should not reach your collar bone, make sure it's clean and maintained.

Clothes is easy, first follow @sneakerhead_com and look for shoes you like. The key to the look you're looking for is to spend money on good shoes and everything else (except for a few important brand items) can be bought at Goodwill. Thrift at Goodwill or the likes, not at some overpriced hipster second-hand store. Use the discovery feature on instagram to look for pages similar to @sneakerhead_com or @barbershopconnect.

Btw I don't get how this thread can be controversial lol, y'all don't have to tip-toe around imaginary mines.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/18 at 4:33 am

Why would anybody be offended by asking what styles are preferred by city dwellers? ???

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 5:52 pm

So I been watching and reading up on some of my fictional and non-fictional idols - the gangsters, the dealers, etc. For the last year I've grown my hair long and maybe I'll do it some more but long hair unless you got an undercut and you tie it in a big ass bun strikes me as being very white. I wanna get the styles that the Italian, Latino and Arabic tough guys in Brooklyn got going. I don't wanna look like some shaggyhaired white person. So give me some suggestions as to cuts. I been wearing goddamn denim on denim since 1994 and that too is time go to. I wanna dress more "urban"

What would the modern day Tony Montana wear out on the street if he was real? What's the replacement for the sleazy Tony Manero leisure suit? What's the 2018 of a wide collared dress shirt? That maschimo sorta look.

I'm talking about Italian, Latino and Arabic subcultures here, like the boys who used to duke it out on 13th avenue.

And yes, I did warn you this would be a controversial thread, so you don't say I'm purposely creating drama
Intresting, that you said you wanna look urban. I was gonna say get a du-rag and some jordans, but since your talking from an Italian and Arab perspective then Idk.  It just shows how the demographics of brooklyn immediately shift once you cross Prospect Park.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/05/18 at 5:59 pm

Intresting, that you said you wanna look urban. I was gonna say get a du-rag and some jordans, but since your talking from an Italian and Arab perspective then Idk.  It just shows how the demographics of brooklyn immediately shift once you cross Prospect Park.

Which side? I live in Bay Ridge

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/05/18 at 6:12 pm

Neighborhoods west of the park till the Veraszono Bridge tends to be mostly white, and Arab while neighborhoods east of the park till about the Queens border is usually African Americans/West Indians, Jews and Hispanics.  Downtown Brooklyn you'll see both sides of Brooklyn merge since the neighborhood is served by every major subway line, the coropreate jobs in Brooklyn and the Barclay Center.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/05/18 at 7:21 pm

Are there any urban long hairstyles ?

Written By: 2001 on 06/05/18 at 10:42 pm

That look is too middle America for what Bones is looking for, I think he's looking for something different.

If you want to cut your hair short, look for a Dominican or Black-owned barbershop and get your hair cut there. Medium/shoudler length curtained hair or shaved sides near the temple and ear (medium-length everywhere else) is in right now, so you don't have to change your hair drastically. Avoid a typical undercut unless if you're planning to texturize your hair (curly). If you really want an undercut, follow @barbershopconnect on Instagram and look for styles you like. Beard length should not reach your collar bone, make sure it's clean and maintained.

Clothes is easy, first follow @sneakerhead_com and look for shoes you like. The key to the look you're looking for is to spend money on good shoes and everything else (except for a few important brand items) can be bought at Goodwill. Thrift at Goodwill or the likes, not at some overpriced hipster second-hand store. Use the discovery feature on instagram to look for pages similar to @sneakerhead_com or @barbershopconnect.

Btw I don't get how this thread can be controversial lol, y'all don't have to tip-toe around imaginary mines.

Middle America wears leather jackets? Is that with cargo shorts? ;D Just kidding :P

I don't know about Brooklyn, but I live in a Toronto suburb with a heavy Italian/Iranian/Jewish presence and that's how I see the bois dress. It is an upper-middle class area though, I'm not sure about Brooklyn.

Written By: xenzue on 06/06/18 at 12:56 am

Middle America wears leather jackets? Is that with cargo shorts? ;D Just kidding :P

I don't know about Brooklyn, but I live in a Toronto suburb with a heavy Italian/Iranian/Jewish presence and that's how I see the bois dress. It is an upper-middle class area though, I'm not sure about Brooklyn.

I meant middle America as in Suburban America, not Walmart America in Mobile, Alabama  ;D Italians/Iranian ppl in GTA dress mad different compared to immigrants in other urban areas. I think class is probably the biggest factor.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/06/18 at 8:56 am

I meant middle America as in Suburban America, not Walmart America in Mobile, Alabama  ;D Italians/Iranian ppl in GTA dress mad different compared to immigrants in other urban areas. I think class is probably the biggest factor.
Which is why I don't like the term middle amaerica because it's pretty generic and inacurate whe  referring to the US in between the coasts. Chicago is in the midwest but yet nobody thinks of it as Middle America, heck I live in North Carolina  which is technically an east coast state, but because it's also a southern state it's automatcally classified as Middle America. I think people should say suburban america when referring to mainstream White America as opposed to just Middle America since there places in midwest and the south that can be pretty urban.

Check for new replies or respond here...