inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else feel (hard) rock is extremely tired out?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/05/18 at 11:53 am

All my life I've been a major rock fan. I loved stuff like Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, etc. Today I think I finally understood why it went out of style.

In a car on the way to the city I asked the driver to put on Q104.3. The stationed played Van Halen and other late 70s, early 80s Rock. Loud, grating, not classy, not danceable, loud distorted guitars, soloing everywhere. No soul. No groove. Just noise to me. It seems like in the late 70s, early 80s somewhere rock became just louder and louder and more and more of a parody. Even with grunge you traded the banality for self hate and self pity. At least Nu Metal had a groove and some interesting sounds. But yeah I think something clicked and I kinda hate 80s-90s rock now, that hard rock sound (not even just hair metal). I'll always love Elvis and 60s rock and Queen but it seems like the genre really only had a twenty year shelf life (50s-70s) before it became tired out.

Anyone else tired of rock?

Subject: Re: Anyone else feel (hard) rock is extremely tired out?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/05/18 at 12:02 pm

It's been that way for a very long time. Probably since the late 90's.

However, I didn't think that it was completely dead until around 2011 or 2012.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/05/18 at 12:17 pm

It's not really the sound in my honest opinion. Though a lot of people may disagree with me here, I think that some people who were complete nuts may have been responsible for hard rock and metal voices being silent nowadays.

In the early 90's, several idiots from the black metal scene burned down churches and killed people (Varg Vikernes, Euronymous, Hendrik Mobus, Faust). In fact, some of these activities inspired criminals to do similar acts.

In the late 90's, the hard rock and metal scenes, in a way, became associated with school shootings (especially after the Columbine shooting).

Written By: bchris02 on 06/05/18 at 12:37 pm

I've heard people say that if it wasn't for grunge, rock would have died out in the '90s.  Hair metal was supposed to be the last hurrah.  Grunge (and the post-grunge that came afterwards) gave the genre another two decades that it otherwise would not have had.  I think right now, hip-hop is in its "hair metal" era.

Written By: musicguy93 on 06/05/18 at 12:55 pm

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree. I personally enjoy a lot of hard rock/metal. Pretty much every genre has its period in the mainstream, and then eventually fades away. However there are always bands in the underground who are influenced by these same bands. I personally am a fan of bands like Salem's Lott, Airbourne, etc. So what if they aren't popular? Mainstream radio is slowly becoming irrelevant  anyway, so what difference does it make?

Anyway, in my opinion, if anything is played out, it's modern rap/hip-hop. Between the sleazymumble/soundcloud rappers and trap artists (it sounds the same to me to be honest), today's hip hop makes my ears bleed. I can't stand the whole trashy, ghetto, vile, primitave, repetitive, homogeneous tone that it carries. Even the so-called "good" rappers nowadays (I.E., Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, etc.) sound mediocre to me.

I'll admit I quite like some of the rap from the 80s and early-mid 90s. At least back then, it had more of a fun vibe with the pop-rap going on at the time. Even the so-called "gangsta" rap was tolerable back then. But since about the late 90s, the genre has been slowly going downhill. And of course now, in the 2010s it's one of the most vile of things pervading today's culture.

What's worse are these idiots in my area who feel the need to blast that garbage through their phones. They don't have the common courtesey to use earphones. These types of people get really hostile/aggressive when you ask them to turn it down or use headphones. For example there was this one guy at the computer lab who was playing his stupid mumble/soundcloud/whatever rap without headphones. I told him to put on headphones but he ignored me. I was getting aggrivated at this point and asked him again, though I was obviously agitated. He reacted with hostility and I almost got into a fight. A second occurence happened when I used to work at a mall booth about a month ago. There was this store called "Fresh Society" which constantly blasts ghetto rap music. They were in the upper floor and I could hear them from the lower floor. No other store played their music this loudly, so I thought I'd ask them to turn it down. When I did, the workers reacted with hostility/aggressiveness. Before things escalated too far, I walked away. But those are some examples of why I hate modern hip hop music/culture.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/05/18 at 1:07 pm

I just noticed that it actually grated on me. Like, you listen to 50s-60s rock, there's texture. There's an actual roll to it. There's a little bit of country influence, a little soul. Even with the proto punk stuff of the mid 60s there's still a certain groove. The later you get into the 70s, and especially as you get into the 80s, I feel now, it just becomes louder for the sake of being loud, banal lyrically, and like what would've been called hard rock is just a slightly less distorted version of metal. That said, I don't find myself liking modern rap either. I like the synth stuff and stuff like Taylor Swift and Trainor or salsa and more reggaeton and such. Like Despacito, even though that features Bieber - or old Cuban style music. Jazz too. All these genres have a certain roll, a certain easiness to the ears, that early rock had and lost. Even modern rock (I mean traditional rock, not new style rock like Imagine Dragons) is all sludgy guitars.

It's just weird. Going your whole life liking one genre and then suddenly not wanting to hear it. I'll always love the Stones, Queen, Clash, Elvis, The Doors but I don't think I'll ever wanna listen to Led Zeppelin outside of their soft stuff or Deep Purple or any of that kind of sound again. Prog like early Yes is still okay.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/18 at 2:57 pm

All my life I've been a major rock fan. I loved stuff like Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, etc. Today I think I finally understood why it went out of style.

In a car on the way to the city I asked the driver to put on Q104.3. The stationed played Van Halen and other late 70s, early 80s Rock. Loud, grating, not classy, not danceable, loud distorted guitars, soloing everywhere. No soul. No groove. Just noise to me. It seems like in the late 70s, early 80s somewhere rock became just louder and louder and more and more of a parody. Even with grunge you traded the banality for self hate and self pity. At least Nu Metal had a groove and some interesting sounds. But yeah I think something clicked and I kinda hate 80s-90s rock now, that hard rock sound (not even just hair metal). I'll always love Elvis and 60s rock and Queen but it seems like the genre really only had a twenty year shelf life (50s-70s) before it became tired out.

No, I'm not really tired of rock, a long time ago, I liked to listen to rock from the 1970's and 80's.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/05/18 at 3:34 pm

I'll tell you exactly what happened with those hard rock and heavy metal guys. The original wave of these people like Led Zeppelin were 1960s people. With all the wide ranging interests (musical and otherwise) that 1960s people had. Led Zeppelin, for example, were seriously interested in folk music, blues, country and many other musics. I mean, they got "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" from a Joan Baez record.  Alice Cooper loved people like the great Donovan, whom he eventually sang a duet with on "Billion Dollar Babies". So there were all these amazing influences going on, plus a great finesse in the playing. The subsequent generations of hard rock/heavy metal players were white suburban boys who had all of the posturing but none of the "cosmic-ness", if you will, of the 60s guys. It was all riffs and posturing and macho-ness and made up lyrics with none of the depth and searching. Some of the post 60s generation of players like Eddie Van Halen were excellent players, but again, none of the far reaching searching or intellect and literarate-ness of the 60s and early 70s players.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/05/18 at 8:56 pm

I've heard people say that if it wasn't for grunge, rock would have died out in the '90s.  Hair metal was supposed to be the last hurrah.  Grunge (and the post-grunge that came afterwards) gave the genre another two decades that it otherwise would not have had.  I think right now, hip-hop is in its "hair metal" era.

I generally agree with that. The interest in rock still would have remained, but it's presence on the charts likely would have diminished over the course of the '90s (at least in the US, anyway. I think it still would have survived in the UK and Australia).

Written By: Dundee on 06/07/18 at 8:10 am

Not at all, the alt rock scene as a whole was burgeoning in the late 80s to early 90s and bands like R.E.M. were putting out hits regardless of the presence or not of Grunge. Grunge was just promoted as the anti-christ of Hair Metal despite the fact that genre was already naturally declining. Other genres like Shoegaze were also gaining popularity around the same time (with only Britpop being a reaction against Grunge). Pop Punk and Nu-Metal were both gaining in popularity at the end of the 90s regardless of the presence of Post-Grunge as well. Especially Nu-Metal was very appealing to the youth of back then with its edge, the more modern sensibilities in production and cool use of rapping.

Hate this view of Grunge as the messiah pandering ugh.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 06/07/18 at 9:17 am

Regardless, there's 0 soul in today's music. At least the early 10's were a little bit fun, but it's just so dried up and awful now in ALL genres. With all the crap going on nowadays, there's literally nothing to turn to. Never thought I would miss the pop punk/emo days of the 00's. At least there was something to express your angst then.

Check for new replies or respond here...