inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Drake ruined for you?

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/06/18 at 9:25 pm

As much as I realized I thought it wouldn't distract me, I find my self listening to Drake out of pure nostalgia now. This is why over confidence is such a terrible thing because ultimately, Drake did it to him self.

I'mma stick to early 2010s Drake since while I'm in that vibe, all of this has yet to happen at least.

Subject: Re: Is Drake ruined for you?

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/06/18 at 9:25 pm

Drake is still good to me.

Written By: Wobo on 06/06/18 at 9:25 pm

Early 2010s Drake is awesome.

Written By: 2001 on 06/06/18 at 10:03 pm

Why would he be ruined? His last song "Nice for What" was a bop.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/06/18 at 10:06 pm

I've always had mixed feelings about Drake. I didn't think this situation would effect my perspective of him but I won't lie, I've been feeling turned off lately. In the beginning of his career, it was very hard to defend Drake. And now in the present, it's hard to defend him, it's like things came full circle lol. Even if he does respond, it'll be too late tbh...I won't care by then.

He'll still sell well though because he has a huge pop fanbase who don't even care about rap beefs.

Written By: 2001 on 06/06/18 at 10:23 pm

I've always had mixed feelings about Drake. I didn't think this situation would effect my perspective of him but I won't lie, I've been feeling turned off lately. In the beginning of his career, it was very hard to defend Drake. And now in the present, it's hard to defend him, it's like things came full circle lol. Even if he does respond, it'll be too late tbh...I won't care by then.

He'll still sell well though because he has a huge pop fanbase who don't even care about rap beefs.

That's me lol. Always there for my Toronto homies.  :-X

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/06/18 at 10:54 pm

That's me lol. Always there for my Toronto homies.  :-X
Yeah most of Drake's fanbase aren't into hip-hop like that which is why he was able to stay afloat despite him being called out for having a ghost-writer. Hip-Hop heads will listen to Drake he's featured on a track or when he's featuring another artist which is why  he was able to appeal to large African-American hip-hop audience despite being from Canada and not growing up in a crime-ridden ghetto because of his connections with Cash Money and his Rnb influence keeps him relevant among general rap listeners.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/06/18 at 11:12 pm

Why do you have mixed feelings about Drake? Also, why was he so hard to defend early in his career? (just asking)

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/06/18 at 11:40 pm

Why do you have mixed feelings about Drake? Also, why was he so hard to defend early in his career? (just asking)

In the beginning of his career he was seen as really soft. The mainstream was just getting to know Drake as a rapper, so people were hearing about how he came from a previous acting career/played a guy in a wheel chair, how his real name was Aubrey, and how he didn't grow up poor and made music that showed vulnerability. Not that those things are problematic but they all added to his "soft" image. He also did a lot of cringy stuff like reading freestyles off of his BlackBerry, getting off beat while rapping, fracturing his ankle while skipping across stage, and getting whooped by P.Diddy.

It was hard for me defend all of this because imo he tried to hard to fit in with Young Money. His entire demeanor just seemed forced and you could tell he was trying to combat that soft image
However, he was not good at hiding it. That's why I've always had mixed feelings on him because I could tell his was putting on a front, he just got better at hiding it. I think he should just own up to who he is.
Like putting "I hear fairy tales ‘bout how they gon’ run up on me
Well, run up when you see me, then, and we gon’ see" in his lyrics. He ain't bout that life lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/07/18 at 12:01 am

In the beginning of his career he was seen as really soft. The mainstream was just getting to know Drake as a rapper, so people were hearing about how he came from a previous acting career/played a guy in a wheel chair, how his real name was Aubrey, and how he didn't grow up poor and made music that showed vulnerability. Not that those things are problematic but they all added to his "soft" image. He also did a lot of cringy stuff like reading freestyles off of his BlackBerry, getting off beat while rapping, fracturing his ankle while skipping across stage, and getting whooped by P.Diddy.

It was hard for me defend all of this because imo he tried to hard to fit in with Young Money. His entire demeanor just seemed forced and you could tell he was trying to combat that soft image
However, he was not good at hiding it. That's why I've always had mixed feelings on him because I could tell his was putting on a front, he just got better at hiding it. I think he should just own up to who he is.
Like putting "I hear fairy tales ‘bout how they gon’ run up on me
Well, run up when you see me, then, and we gon’ see" in his lyrics. He ain't bout that life lol.

Fair enough, I understand. Thanks for explaining.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/18 at 4:31 am

Everybody loves The Drake.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/07/18 at 9:29 am

Drake got exposed by Pusha T so badly I don't know if he'll ever recover from his debacle. Just like Kanye West, what matters is what good music Drakes gives to me. Everything outside of him being a musical artist is completely irrelevant to me including his time on Degrassi too.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/07/18 at 9:34 am

Drake got exposed by Pusha T so badly I don't know if he'll ever recover from his debacle. Just like Kanye West, what matters is what good music Drakes gives to me. Everything outside of him being a musical artist is completely irrelevant to me including his time on Degrassi too.
Which is exactly why Drake's career will still live on. Drake's fanbase is mostly under 25 so our generation is used to rappers being "soft". As long as he's able to appeal towards his core fanbase then his career will likely live on.

Written By: 2001 on 06/08/18 at 4:18 pm

Which is exactly why Drake's career will still live on. Drake's fanbase is mostly under 25 so our generation is used to rappers being "soft". As long as he's able to appeal towards his core fanbase then his career will likely live on.

Nah, Drake has been around for a long time now. He was big in 2008/2009 with Best I Ever Had.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/08/18 at 4:52 pm

Nah, Drake has been around for a long time now. He was big in 2008/2009 with Best I Ever Had.
I'm mainly talking about people our age and younger since we were listing to Drake in his early carrer when we were in middle/high school and stuck with him ever since, and you got younger kids who are just getting into hip hop that listens to Drake.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/08/18 at 8:45 pm

mqg96 just raised me hope. Haha As long as I have his older hits, I'm good. I was never really found of Drake's newer hits to begin with, plus. I just realized I don't f with any artist after their peak anyway.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/09/18 at 8:15 pm

I think Drake is past his prime but I've always defended him. I've always hated gangsta rap and black machismo. I never understood the black community's bullcrap when it came to blaming everything but the worthless drama between black people in the stifling of the black community.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/29/18 at 1:41 pm

Who's interested in Drake's Scorpion album?

I watched a YouTube upload of a fan reading out specific lyrics and I'm interested again.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/29/18 at 2:12 pm

I watched a YouTube upload of a fan reading out specific lyrics and I'm interested again.

I'm listening to "That's How You Feel" right now. It's my favorite song from the album. His new album is absolute fire.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/29/18 at 4:21 pm

I'm listening to "That's How You Feel" right now. It's my favorite song from the album. His new album is absolute fire.

I'm probably just going to listen to the tracks that are the most highlighted right now if that make sense.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/29/18 at 7:27 pm

I heard the album was boring and it has too many songs.

Written By: Dundee on 06/29/18 at 7:54 pm

His new album apparently sucks so maybe :P

Written By: xenzue on 06/29/18 at 9:04 pm

Scorpion was kinda trash lmao ;D I mean there were some good tracks, but a big chunk of it is filler. It's going to break lots of records though... as of right now Scorpion is averaging at around 10 MILLION streams per hour on Spotify alone. That's absurd.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/30/18 at 6:16 pm

I heard the album was boring and it has too many songs.

I'll probably listen to it and never return to it if that's really the case. Take Care is really all I need from Drake.

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/18 at 3:24 am

I see nothing wrong with Drake's music today.  I was never a big rap fan, but I respect anyone from Canada who can make it work.  There isn't enough Canadian rappers in the popular mainstream outside of Canada, but Drake and others like Tory Lanez and PartyNextDoor are doing pretty good!

Written By: ofkx on 07/01/18 at 7:29 am

This guy’s face is on every playlist on Spotify 8-P. It’s really annoying. This is how you get people to hate you 8-P.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/01/18 at 8:20 am

He's just ok, although I don't really care to be honest.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/02/18 at 8:31 pm

Its that time now. I believe Drake's reign is over. There is no way Drake can come back after Scorpion. I don't see his future works being exciting. He needs a break, he's a veteran. What else can he really do?

I would only be hyped for a Take Care part 2 for nostalgia reasons.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/02/18 at 8:48 pm

The problem is he cares more about selling than about putting out quality music. He's been doing that for a while now and of course he well...got ethered. He will still continue to sell well though, his fanbase is too big.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/03/18 at 12:48 pm

The problem is he cares more about selling than about putting out quality music. He's been doing that for a while now and of course he well...got ethered. He will still continue to sell well though, his fanbase is too big.

Its not even just about quality music anymore. Drake generally won't be fun to listen to anymore. His legacy is established. If Drake isn't careful, he'll fall into the cheesy category.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/04/18 at 4:49 pm

I listened to a gap portion of Scorpion and its kind of.. off. The lyrics have that Drake quality but the beats are unusual. That's what kills the album for me and I doubt I'm listening to the R&B side. Its truly what it sounds like, a gap in the album sounds like filler. Its kind of disappointing to since the album has a hype worth name around it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/18 at 5:12 pm

Drake has redeemed himself after his elegant shout-out to Smoke Dawg.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/18 at 1:00 pm

He was always ruined for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/18 at 1:03 pm

I have kept well away!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/18 at 1:39 pm

To be truthful I can't stand Drake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/18 at 1:57 pm

I prefer the state of innocence on this matter.

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/18 at 5:23 pm

Why?

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/16/18 at 10:01 am

I got Take Care confused with Thank Me Later until recent. Thank Me Later is so overlooked, its truly a phenomenon. Its actually the perfect Drake album with endless charm. Its a classic in its own right.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/16/18 at 11:16 am

Why?

His music is as bad, if not, worse than Bieber's music.

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/18 at 6:04 pm

His music is as bad, if not, worse than Bieber's music.

But... Bieber's last album was awesome ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/16/18 at 10:13 pm

I give Drake a pass if he may not have written the majority of Thank Me Later or the like. Drake had the right voice that interpreted and matched the style of the lyrics and hook you wouldn't have imagine any other artist rapping over.

Artists write for other artists all the time.

Written By: Dundee on 08/03/18 at 3:12 pm

People in this thread talking about how it was the beginning of the end for him a few months back, yet he's right now as big as ever

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l8qEkQmf6m5DG/200w.gif

Written By: ofkx on 08/04/18 at 11:05 am

People in this thread talking about how it was the beginning of the end for him a few months back, yet he's right now as big as ever

yeah lol. i wouldn't be surprised if people actually do lose interest in him a short while from now due to overexposure tho. it's really annoying how he's literally everywhere.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/04/18 at 11:40 am

yeah lol. i wouldn't be surprised if people actually do lose interest in him a short while from now due to overexposure tho. it's really annoying how he's literally everywhere.

I said a similar notion. That's what I like about early 2010s Drake because he felt like a personal artist you would listen to. No one is going to want to hear anything from him by 2020.

Written By: xenzue on 08/04/18 at 1:26 pm

I think 2018 has surpassed Summer 16 as his career's peak. He's been at #1 for almost half the year so far.

Written By: 2001 on 08/04/18 at 9:15 pm

Started from the bottom now we're here~

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/04/18 at 11:52 pm

Yeah he's ruined for me now OP.

Written By: J. Rob on 08/05/18 at 9:33 pm

Drake's been extremely stagnant since 2015 but his fans are pretty much a religious cult

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/05/18 at 10:06 pm

Yeah he's ruined for me now OP.

Why's that? Although I haven't been much a Drake fan since the early 10s, I've always understood his popularity throughout his entire career. Why did he sour on you now?

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/05/18 at 10:29 pm

Why's that? Although I haven't been much a Drake fan since the early 10s, I've always understood his popularity throughout his entire career. Why did he sour on you now?

1.) Music has deteriorated / Puts out a 20+ album for streams/sales
2). Telling (not asking or trying to negotiate with) his son's mother to get an abortion
3.) Calling himself a single father & co-parent although he's only seen his son once
4.) He's a culture vulture (one day he's Jamaican and the next he's British)
5.) Pretending to be gangster in a song and then playing victim in another
6.) Repulsive fanbase

Yup. Can't take this guy seriously.

Written By: BornIn86 on 08/06/18 at 9:22 am

1.) Music has deteriorated / Puts out a 20+ album for streams/sales
2). Telling (not asking or trying to negotiate with) his son's mother to get an abortion
3.) Calling himself a single father & co-parent although he's only seen his son once
4.) He's a culture vulture (one day he's Jamaican and the next he's British)
5.) Pretending to be gangster in a song and then playing victim in another
6.) Repulsive fanbase

Yup. Can't take this guy seriously.

1. I think this actually might be overall current pop cultures fault but I agree.
2,3. Yep. This is awful
4. Ehhh...I think this is more of a sign of pop culture today.
5. haha. This is kind of raps MO tho.
6. I don't deal with Drakes fanbase but I'll take your word for it.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/30/18 at 10:45 am

Chris Brown has received an OVO gift from Drake, a starter to positivity. As whats been said, we Need! a Drake and Chris Brown collab. It make too much sense.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/21/19 at 8:12 pm

So Far Gone isn't for me but Best I Ever Had is a quality introduction to it. It may also play a role that I didn't hear So Far Gone when it was hot. What's been said, Thank Me Later is a slept on classic.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/21/19 at 9:14 pm

So Far Gone isn't for me but Best I Ever Had is a quality introduction to it. It may also play a role that I didn't hear So Far Gone when it was hot. What's been said, Thank Me Later is a slept on classic.

Hands Down.

Check for new replies or respond here...