inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the 2010's more changeful than we say?

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 5:10 pm

A lot of people here say that the 2010's have been a consistent decade and that the difference between say 2012 vs. 2018 is not as big. However, I was reading some posts on inthe00s about how some people think the difference between 2011 to 2018 is bigger than the difference between 2001 and 2008.

Technology-wise, the 2010's have been somewhat changeful but mostly consistent IMO. We started off the decade with the release of the first iPad and Blackberries being very popular as well as iPhones. We still use iPhones today, but they are more upgraded, bigger, work faster, better quality, and have a more modern layout. However, in 2010, it was still pretty common to see people using digital cameras. They started fading after 2011.

Pop culturally, the 2010's have been a really transformative decade. We started off the decade at the peak of the electropop era. Hip-hop, while mostly sounding early 2010's, still had some late 2000's sound. A good example of this is "All I do is win" by DJ Khaled. The mid-2010's was when trap was gaining popularity, and when some early 2010's artists weren't popular anymore.

Even with fashion, I notice a difference.
I'm noticing a lot fewer hipsters this year now compared to say 2014. In 2014, hipsters were pretty much everywhere, but it seems like in 2018 they have faded and it's not the in thing anymore.

Here are some more changes that I've noticed between 2010 vs. now.

2010:
Blackberry phones are popular
Facebook is the most popular social media site among teens
Electropop era was at its peak
Scene fashion, while past its peak, was still quite relevant
Snapchat didn't exist yet, and Instagram wasn't out for the majority of 2010.
2010 was arguably late Y culture.
Digital cameras were still quite commonly used

2018:
Snapchat and Instagram are popular
Generation Z has started making an impact, especially after the Parkland shooting
Trap hip-hop is the most popular music genre in the United States
Trump is president
Hipsters (although this was more of a mid-2010's thing)
Digital cameras are mostly obsolete as well as Blackberry phones

Just take a look at these two selfies (both are not mine) one is from 2010, the other is from 2017.

https://img00.deviantart.net/2e2d/i/2010/224/3/a/get_your_grr_face_on_by_katekillssunshine.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2yzdXNWQAQqrYw.jpg

You definitely get two completely different vibes. The former is dressed mostly in Scene and using an old phone, whereas the latter is using a big iPhone and is mostly dressed as your typical Instagram girl. And let's not forget again that Instagram didn't even exist for most of 2010.

My point is, I definitely feel like the 2010's were more changeful than we say. I'd even go as far to say it's just as transformative as the 2000's, with the exception of the technology. Fashion-wise, I definitely feel as though the 2010's were more transformative than the 2000's.

Subject: Re: Are the 2010's more changeful than we say?

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 5:22 pm

These things are more obvious in retrospect. When I joined in 2015, I did not see a huge difference between 2009 and 2015, but over time 2013 became a new "late 2006 shift" of sorts where everything changed and the world was never the same again ;D

I think 2016 will get similar treatment. Honestly it was a more changeful year than 2013, definitely.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 5:28 pm

These things are more obvious in retrospect. When I joined in 2015, I did not see a huge difference between 2009 and 2015, but over time 2013 became a new "late 2006 shift" of sorts where everything changed and the world was never the same again ;D

I think 2016 will get similar treatment. Honestly it was a more changeful year than 2013, definitely.

I agree. I feel like the years divisible by 3 in the 2010’s (2013, 2016, maybe even 2019) are the transitional years. I predict 2019 might be transitional. But I don’t think it will be as big as 2013 and especially 2016.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/11/18 at 7:22 pm

I used to think the 2010s were a consistent decade but from the standpoint of 2018 they really aren't.  The "classic '10s" feel lasted through the first half of 2017 and then things really started to change in my opinion.  It's really hard to believe this is still the same decade as 2011.  2018 is much more different from 2011 in my opinion than 2008 was from 2001.  I also think this is a unique period in American and world history.  There are no parallels I can think of and there is no telling how everything is going to end up.

About the only thing that has really been consistent this decade is the technology, which evolved at a significantly slower rate than during the '00s.  Oh, and Nicki Minaj.

Written By: Dundee on 06/11/18 at 8:36 pm

About the only thing that has really been consistent this decade is the technology, which evolved at a significantly slower rate than during the '00s.  Oh, and Nicki Minaj.
She was putting hit-and-miss clubbing folder at the beginning of the decade, now she puts out full-on urban bangers 8)

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 8:50 pm

She was putting hit-and-miss clubbing folder at the beginning of the decade, now she puts out full-on urban bangers 8)

She only rocks with queens so she's making hits with Katy.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/11/18 at 8:51 pm

In terms of technology it's been pretty consistent with smartphones and HD televisions. With gaming it's pretty different because at the beginning of the decade we were halfway through the 7th generation and in 2013 that's when the 8th generation fully took off, now with the switch out I can say we are in Generation 8.5, not quite 9th gen but not quite 8th gen. With movies, it's been pretty consistent as well with Marvel movies and reboot releasing every year. The biggest change that has happened in this decade is with the music, at the start of the 2010s it was still that autotune swagg rap whereas the mid 10s is when you had the mumble rap wave came in and now in the late 10s you see more mumble rappers and rappers dying there hair.

Written By: Wobo on 06/11/18 at 9:30 pm

So the punk girl became lesbian 8 years later?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/12/18 at 7:24 am

I would say that the only way the 10s have been changeful is politically. We are in the most radical, divided, and politically hot time since the late 60s. Music, to me, has only seemed to change a very little between 2010 and present. Gaming has changed a little; in 2010 a 2D game like Undertale wouldn't have become a massive success; people crave a nostalgic 2D experience in gaming the last few years. You have social media culture becoming ever more present. Movies are dominated by superheroes but that's kind of been the case increasingly since The Dark Knight in 2008. Fashion is the same weird mix of hipster, urban, and 90s stuff that I saw in 2010. Only new thing is fun buns on women. Compare the rate of Pop cultural change from 2010 to now with say, 1990 to 1998, or 1960 to 1968, or even 2000 to 2008 to see how much this decade has stagnated.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 06/12/18 at 11:20 am

I would say that the only way the 10s have been changeful is politically. We are in the most radical, divided, and politically hot time since the late 60s. Music, to me, has only seemed to change a very little between 2010 and present. Gaming has changed a little; in 2010 a 2D game like Undertale wouldn't have become a massive success; people crave a nostalgic 2D experience in gaming the last few years. You have social media culture becoming ever more present. Movies are dominated by superheroes but that's kind of been the case increasingly since The Dark Knight in 2008. Fashion is the same weird mix of hipster, urban, and 90s stuff that I saw in 2010. Only new thing is fun buns on women. Compare the rate of Pop cultural change from 2010 to now with say, 1990 to 1998, or 1960 to 1968, or even 2000 to 2008 to see how much this decade has stagnated.

I mostly agree with this, except fashion. 2010 still had a lot of lingering 00's fashion. The "yupster" or "yuccie" look really gained traction after 2012. But even in terms of fashion, the rate of change was much much slower than from 1990 to 1998. We're literally staring into a cultural/political/social abyss right now. Technology has gone way beyond its purpose of "improving" society. It's now sucking the soul out of our relationships with others and our relationship with nature (A Brave New World, indeed). We're also in the middle of an emotional dark age. So many empty people are walking around right now and no amount of technology, political change, or pop culture is going to fill that void. We need to get back to connecting with others on a deeper level.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/12/18 at 12:36 pm

I mostly agree with this, except fashion. 2010 still had a lot of lingering 00's fashion. The "yupster" or "yuccie" look really gained traction after 2012. But even in terms of fashion, the rate of change was much much slower than from 1990 to 1998. We're literally staring into a cultural/political/social abyss right now. Technology has gone way beyond its purpose of "improving" society. It's now sucking the soul out of our relationships with others and our relationship with nature (A Brave New World, indeed). We're also in the middle of an emotional dark age. So many empty people are walking around right now and no amount of technology, political change, or pop culture is going to fill that void. We need to get back to connecting with others on a deeper level.

Yes. Some sort of awakening. Right now, we're zombies, staring down all day at our phones, going from meaningless meme to meaningless meme. There is nothing deep or profound, outside of political and racial division, in American cultural life right now. We are in some toxic stagnancy, w/ a sense of animosity that only seems to deepen. Drifting.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 12:58 pm

The most changeful year of the 2010's so far is 2016 without a question, but I would even argue that the transition started in 2015 with the rise of police brutality, more terrorist attacks across the world (not just ISIS), mass school shootings on the rise, black lives matter movement, SJW's, gay marriage being legalized across America, society becoming more and more politically correct where nobody can have their honest opinion anymore unless it pleases the majority of the crowd, etc. All of this led to the rise of Trump in late 2015.

Now despite all of this, 2008 still remains as the most changeful and transitional year of this entire 21st century. No year will ever top the changes that occurred throughout that time so far. I can't even think of a year in the 90's that was as transitional as 2008 either. Whoever thinks the difference between 2011 and 2018 is bigger than the difference between 2001 and 2008 either didn't live the whole 2000's, doesn't remember all of the 2000's, or has long term memory loss. Casuals who don't ever analyze decades agree with this too.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 1:16 pm

2010:

2018:
Generation Z has started making an impact, especially after the Parkland shooting
Trump is president

Sorry Rainbowz, but with the exception of the political world being totally different throughout this decade, these differences aren't that big. First of all, when it comes to 2010's social media in general, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat are the BIG 4. If you include YouTube in there then it's the BIG 5. It's just that back in 2010 it was only Facebook at its peak right after MySpace had just died, while Twitter was still coming on the rise while the others weren't either used regularly yet or not around. Twitter and Instagram have been very popular since 2012 while Snapchat has been very popular since 2013. Yes, more and more adults have been using Facebook but it's still just as popular as the others, even if young teens don't use it anymore. As for the generational stuff. I believe there's a misconception here about when Gen Y culture ends or when Gen Z culture begins. First of all, Boomer adults and Gen X adults look at all of us ate Y'ers and early Z'ers as simply "millennials". They really don't care. If we're all into social media, we're all considered as part of the same generation. The first 2000's borns are finally graduating this year, but from 2017 and earlier there were still all 90's born's graduating and still 90's borns in high school for most of the part. Polaroid cameras are actually making a comeback (if anyone hasn't already noticed). So to me, modernized Polaroid cameras have replaced digital cameras while cameras on phones have been used regularly since this decade began. Here in Atlanta what America's definition of trap hip hop is has been mainstream since 2 Chainz, Gucci Mane, Future got popular in 2011 and 2012, while Young Thug in 2013 started the mumble rap trend. I agree that 2010 was still part of the classic hip hop era that was post-crunk/snap. Overall I'm not saying there aren't any differences at all, there's definitely been a couple of cultural shifts that's for sure, but compared to the 2000's these weren't that big at all. I'm a homer. Go ahead and debate me I'm ready.

Written By: xenzue on 06/12/18 at 2:20 pm

Most underrated change in the 2010s is probably meme culture.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 2:23 pm

Sorry Rainbowz, but with the exception of the political world being totally different throughout this decade, these differences aren't that big. First of all, when it comes to 2010's social media in general, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat are the BIG 4. If you include YouTube in there then it's the BIG 5. It's just that back in 2010 it was only Facebook at its peak right after MySpace had just died, while Twitter was still coming on the rise while the others weren't either used regularly yet or not around. Twitter and Instagram have been very popular since 2012 while Snapchat has been very popular since 2013. Yes, more and more adults have been using Facebook but it's still just as popular as the others, even if young teens don't use it anymore. As for the generational stuff. I believe there's a misconception here about when Gen Y culture ends or when Gen Z culture begins. First of all, Boomer adults and Gen X adults look at all of us ate Y'ers and early Z'ers as simply "millennials". They really don't care. If we're all into social media, we're all considered as part of the same generation. The first 2000's borns are finally graduating this year, but from 2017 and earlier there were still all 90's born's graduating and still 90's borns in high school for most of the part. Polaroid cameras are actually making a comeback (if anyone hasn't already noticed). So to me, modernized Polaroid cameras have replaced digital cameras while cameras on phones have been used regularly since this decade began. Here in Atlanta what America's definition of trap hip hop is has been mainstream since 2 Chainz, Gucci Mane, Future got popular in 2011 and 2012, while Young Thug in 2013 started the mumble rap trend. I agree that 2010 was still part of the classic hip hop era that was post-crunk/snap. Overall I'm not saying there aren't any differences at all, there's definitely been a couple of cultural shifts that's for sure, but compared to the 2000's these weren't that big at all. I'm a homer. Go ahead and debate me I'm ready.

This isn't really about how transitional the 2010's are compared to the 2000's, it's only about how people tend to underestimate how transitional and big the difference is between 2010 to now. It's not just politics either (I don't even pay attention to politics) the difference in music between 2010 to now is huge. There's no way something like "California Girls", "Omg by Usher", and "Tik Tok" would fit in with 2018 songs. Songs from 2018 like "God's Plan", "Havana" and "No Tears Left To Cry" would definitely not fit in with 2010. Hell, the difference in music between 2010 and 2013 is already huge enough.

Also, I have never noticed Polaroid cameras making a comeback. Everybody these days is taking photos on their phones now. Back in 2010, it was still common to see people taking photos with digital cameras.

Also, trap may have already been popular in 2011 or 2012, but the trap songs in the early 2010's were still different from the trap in the late 2010's. Trap in the early 2010's was more electro influenced, whereas late 2010's trap has more heavy beats. It's honestly very hard to explain and unless you love trap and listen to a lot of hip-hop from this decade then you're most likely not going to understand what I'm trying to say, but I can say without a doubt that the trap songs in the early 2010's do not sound the same as trap from the late 2010's, and they are very different.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 2:27 pm

I used to think the 2010s were a consistent decade but from the standpoint of 2018 they really aren't.  The "classic '10s" feel lasted through the first half of 2017 and then things really started to change in my opinion.  It's really hard to believe this is still the same decade as 2011.  2018 is much more different from 2011 in my opinion than 2008 was from 2001.  I also think this is a unique period in American and world history.  There are no parallels I can think of and there is no telling how everything is going to end up.

The reason why a lot of people say not much has changed in this decade is mostly because we are still in it. 2010 did not seem dated in 2012 or 2013. But from a 2018 perspective, it's very dated. The early 2010's didn't seem very distant in 2014. From a late 2010's perspective, the early 2010's are a long time ago now and have noticeable differences.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/12/18 at 2:53 pm

I agree. The early 2010's (2010- 2012/13) just feel distant now. Looking back it was a totally different era of my life to where I am now. A lot has changed in this decade. Just the whole feel of the times has changed so much.

Written By: unicornic on 06/12/18 at 3:25 pm

Yeah the 2010s have changed a lot.  A lot has changed since we started this decade. I agree with Chris that technology has only been consistent in this decade but everything else, music, politics, and fashion have changed a lot.

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 3:39 pm

Yesssss. The early 2010s feel like a different decade than the late 2010s. I don't think there has been a decade with this much difference (culturally) between the early part and the late part since the '90s.
To think that this:
http://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/blackberry-bold-touch-9930110407150935.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&w=449&h=599
https://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2010/10/Android-PhonesMAIN.jpg.560x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6O2ncUKvlg&list=PLBE370CFB415B28A9&index=35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-dvTjK_07c

And this:
https://cdn2.macworld.co.uk/cmsdata/features/3646340/iphone_x_plus_idrop_render_1200.jpg
https://ss7.vzw.com/is/image/VerizonWireless/pdp-samsung-star2-feature1-d-0218?$pngalpha$&scl=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2n7VVGv_c&list=PL55713C70BA91BD6E&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTlNMmZKwpA&index=17&list=PL55713C70BA91BD6E

both existed in the same decade is really amazing IMO

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/12/18 at 3:44 pm

Yesssss. The early 2010s feel like a different decade than the late 2010s. I don't think there has been a decade with this much difference (culturally) between the early part and the late part since the '90s.

Actually there was, the '00s.
The '00s were far more transitional, pop culturally and technologically, even politically, than the '10s were, and possibly even the '90s. The '00s were quite possible the most transformative decade since the '60s.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 3:44 pm

Also, trap may have already been popular in 2011 or 2012, but the trap songs in the early 2010's were still different from the trap in the late 2010's. Trap in the early 2010's was more electro influenced, whereas late 2010's trap has more heavy beats. It's honestly very hard to explain and unless you love trap and listen to a lot of hip-hop from this decade then you're most likely not going to understand what I'm trying to say, but I can say without a doubt that the trap songs in the early 2010's do not sound the same as trap from the late 2010's, and they are very different.

Trap originated from where I live and it's pretty much been the main genre of hip hop and other styles of music throughout the 2010's. 2010 and maybe 2011 to a little extent were the only years trap didn't really hit the mainstream yet but it was already on the rise by 2011, and trap has definitely been popular since 2012 being in high school at the time. Trap isn't just "mumble" rap either as I've said many times before. Future, 2 Chainz, and Gucci Mane became mainstream by the early 2010's.

Like I said, when people talk about the changes to the 2010's decade it's mainly focused around politics which I call the Wild West (pow pow pow), Donald Trump, and the heavily political correctness era and those politics having an effect on social media, sports, and our everyday lives. When it comes to technology it hasn't changed much at all. Even if the electropop era craze of music has been over, it's still electronic music and dance music that's been consistently popular throughout this decade. There were already heavy beatz music earlier this decade too.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 3:46 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The '00s were far more transitional, pop culturally, technologically, even politically, than the '10s were, and possibly even the '90s. The '00s were quite possible the most transformative decade since the '60s.

AYE YI Captain!

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 3:49 pm

The '00s were far more transitional, pop culturally and technologically, even politically, than the '10s were, and possibly even the '90s. The '00s were quite possible the most transformative decade since the '60s.

I have no idea how to respond to that without turning this into a decadeology discussion lol

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/12/18 at 3:51 pm

I have no idea how to respond to that without turning this into a decadeology discussion lol

This is a decadeology-based thread. What's the problem?

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 3:52 pm

The reason why a lot of people say not much has changed in this decade is mostly because we are still in it. 2010 did not seem dated in 2012 or 2013. But from a 2018 perspective, it's very dated. The early 2010's didn't seem very distant in 2014. From a late 2010's perspective, the early 2010's are a long time ago now and have noticeable differences.

WOAH! This time a decade ago when it was 2007 and 2008 when we were using sliding phones, Blackberry, YouTube, MySpace, watching CGI movies in the theater, were playing 7th gen games with online hyped with the XBOX 360 and Wii, etc. you thought people didn't realize the year was already distant and different than 2000 and 2001? Hahahaha!  ;)

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 4:01 pm

Here's my final post on this. The older you get, the faster time goes by. The younger you are, the slower time used to be. This happens to everyone in life, why, because throughout K-12 we're learning so much information for the basic English language, math, and eventually you expand into science and history. You become more open minded once you have gained all your knowledge to graduate high school then you pursue in your career in college, the military, or beyond. If you're under 18 right now the early 2010's probably feel like a long time ago to you, but for me it feels like yesterday because I had started high school in 2010, the first year of this decade and only Obama's 2nd year in office and it flew by fast to me. Outside of politics the technology hasn't changed much since 2009, that's just me personally, but if you're younger who grew up straight into this digital world then you might have a different perspective than mine and feel like the technology has changed a lot in your eyes.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 4:02 pm

WOAH! This time a decade ago when it was 2007 and 2008 when we were using sliding phones, Blackberry, YouTube, MySpace, watching CGI movies in the theater, were playing 7th gen games with online hyped with the XBOX 360 and Wii, etc. you thought people didn't realize the year was already distant and different than 2000 and 2001? Hahahaha!  ;)

Most cultural shifts aren't drastic. They are mostly slow and gradual and that is the case in the 2010's. A lot of people back in 2007 didn't think 2005 or even 2004 were different. Since we are in the 2010's, we can see a difference now.

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 4:05 pm

This is a decadeology-based thread. What's the problem?

Ok then :). The early 2000s and the late 2000s (up until 2009) don't seem too different to me culturally. There's definitely big differences like the fact that there was the whole Y2K thing going on in the early 2000s and other stuff but for the most part they're similar. If you took a song from 2001 and released it in 2008, it probably wouldn't look too out of place. The early 2010s and the late 2010s on the other hand are very different IMO. Barely anything from say 2011 can fit in 2018.

Yeah, the 2000s had a big difference technologically from start to beginning. It's amazing that the iPhone and the Nokia 3310 are barely 7 years apart ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 4:06 pm

I will say it again. I'm not trying to argue that the 2010's are more transitional than the 2000's, I'm trying to argue that the 2010's decade isn't really as consistent as we say it is. There are some aspects of 2010's culture that have remained consistent and some that have drastically changed. But since we are still in the decade and cultural shifts aren't usually a day/night difference, that is hard to do right now.

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 4:07 pm

I will say it again. I'm not trying to argue that the 2010's are more transitional than the 2000's, I'm trying to argue that the 2010's decade isn't really as consistent as we say it is. There are some aspects of 2010's culture that have remained consistent and some that have drastically changed. But since we are still in the decade and cultural shifts aren't usually a day/night difference, that is hard to do right now.

I agree. I think 5 years from now we'll definitely see how different every part is.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/12/18 at 4:08 pm

Most cultural shifts aren't drastic. They are mostly slow and gradual and that is the case in the 2010's. A lot of people back in 2007 didn't think 2005 or even 2004 were different. Since we are in the 2010's, we can see a difference now.

I would say in 2007 everybody thought 2000-2002 were very different. Even I did when I was younger than your age now. 2003-2006 people may have felt wasn't much of a difference as 2007 was going on.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 4:12 pm

If you took a song from 2001 and released it in 2008, it probably wouldn't look too out of place.

I don't really agree. I think in terms of music, 2001 and 2008 were worlds apart. 2008 was the start of the electropop era and when Lady Gaga became popular. None of that was popular in 2001.

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 4:18 pm

I don't really agree. I think in terms of music, 2001 and 2008 were worlds apart. 2008 was the start of the electropop era and when Lady Gaga became popular. None of that was popular in 2001.

To each to his own I guess. I don't really see them as being wildly different.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 4:19 pm

Anyway, sorry for breaking the topic. This thread is not about how transitional the 2000's were compared to the 2010's, and I agree that the difference between 2000 and 2009 is worlds apart. This thread is supposed to be about how we tend to underestimate how transformative the 2010's are.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 4:23 pm

Here's my final post on this. The older you get, the faster time goes by. The younger you are, the slower time used to be. This happens to everyone in life, why, because throughout K-12 we're learning so much information for the basic English language, math, and eventually you expand into science and history. You become more open minded once you have gained all your knowledge to graduate high school then you pursue in your career in college, the military, or beyond. If you're under 18 right now the early 2010's probably feel like a long time ago to you, but for me it feels like yesterday because I had started high school in 2010, the first year of this decade and only Obama's 2nd year in office and it flew by fast to me. Outside of politics the technology hasn't changed much since 2009, that's just me personally, but if you're younger who grew up straight into this digital world then you might have a different perspective than mine and feel like the technology has changed a lot in your eyes.

So I assume this is the case with you for the 2000's?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/12/18 at 4:26 pm

Ok then :). The early 2000s and the late 2000s (up until 2009) don't seem too different to me culturally. There's definitely big differences like the fact that there was the whole Y2K thing going on in the early 2000s and other stuff but for the most part they're similar. If you took a song from 2001 and released it in 2008, it probably wouldn't look too out of place. The early 2010s and the late 2010s on the other hand are very different IMO. Barely anything from say 2011 can fit in 2018.Yeah, the 2000s had a big difference technologically from start to beginning. It's amazing that the iPhone and the Nokia 3310 are barely 7 years apart ;D

What was popular in 2001;

https://www.ost.co/img/203260.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_3_Coverart.jpg/220px-Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_3_Coverart.jpg
http://www.ankit2world.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/3-4.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMX2lPum_pg

What was popular in 2008;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Ironmanposter.JPG
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/7940/header.jpg?t=1485220597
https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/v4/c4/7c/50/c47c50a3-81f0-e743-1798-643295af6f43/source/1200x630bb.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdB3Oyd5HtU

Written By: ofkx on 06/12/18 at 4:28 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2b/Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_3_Coverart.jpg/220px-Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_3_Coverart.jpg

https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/v4/c4/7c/50/c47c50a3-81f0-e743-1798-643295af6f43/source/1200x630bb.jpg

We're back to the original topic btw

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 4:28 pm

This thread is not about how transitional the 2000's were compared to the 2010's, and I agree that the difference between 2000 and 2009 is worlds apart. This thread is supposed to be about how we tend to underestimate how transformative the 2010's are.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/12/18 at 4:30 pm

I was typing up that reply before you posted that comment.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/12/18 at 4:41 pm

The 2000s was very changeful in terms of technology.  In fact I'm not sure what decade saw the most change on that front, the '90s or the '00s.  At the beginning of the '00s, it was still conceivable that people could get by without a computer and high-speed Internet definitely was not the norm yet.  By the end of the '00s, it was pretty much essential to be on-line and dial-up was dead.  In 2000, a lot of people still used landlines and not everyone had cell phones.  By 2009 landlines were on their way out, at least in residential settings.  Cell phones started the decade as simple phones with a snake game at the most and ended the decade as full-fledged smart devices.  In 2000, the N64 was still getting new games.  By 2009, the Xbox 360 and PS3 dominated.

Other aspects of culture in the '00s changed more slowly in my opinion.  There were some differences in terms of music but those differences weren't really that drastic. This board likes to associate electropop with 2008 but it was bigger in 2009.  Politically, 2008 was more liberal than 2001 but the politics of both years were still decidedly Bush-era.  Fashion in 2008 was closer to 2001 than 2018 is to 2011.  I could still wear my clothes from 2001 in 2008 (and I did).  I wouldn't dress like I did in 2011 in 2018.  TV was still more '00s than '10s as were movies.

The 2010s have been the opposite, with technology evolving more slowly but culture at large changing pretty rapidly.

Lady Gaga wasn't super popular until the very end of 2008.  Just Dance actually struggled at first and became more popular later.  Electropop was bigger in 2009.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/12/18 at 5:34 pm

I know I said this thread wasn't about comparing the 2010's to the 2000's, so this post is going to go against me but I just wanted to say this:

I understand where you're coming from, however, pretty much everything you have listed is solely based on technology. Now, I will agree that the technology developments in the 2000's were much bigger than the 2010's. But I feel as if other aspects of culture such as the fashion and politics have changed a lot in this decade. With music, I'd say it was just as transitional as the 2000's. This is coming from somebody who has a playlist full of 2010's music. From the early, mid and late portion.

I think Chris pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Written By: Dundee on 06/12/18 at 5:38 pm

I wrote about a massive post about it in another thread

But I would say the biggest change this decade was the advent of streaming which revolutionized the way of media consumption like tv and music which previously hadn't changed much since the commercialization of vhs

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/12/18 at 6:15 pm

I bet by the end of the 2010s we'll be like "man remember 2010". It's crazy that the kids who were in elementary school in 2010 are now going through puberty, saying bad words, driving and going to college. I have nieces and a nephew born in the 00s and it's crazy seeing that almost all of them are teens. I still remember them watching nick jr, wetting the bed, holding there hands while crossing the street and having high pitched voices.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/12/18 at 6:55 pm

I agree mainstream music from today is drastically different than music from the early 2010s. However, I disagree with with fashion being drastically different. Technology is different but not maybe not drastically. It seems to me tech now has the same concept as tech in the early 2010s, it's just more advanced.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/12/18 at 7:53 pm

I agree mainstream music from today is drastically different than music from the early 2010s. However, I disagree with with fashion being drastically different. Technology is different but not maybe not drastically. It seems to me tech now has the same concept as tech in the early 2010s, it's just more advanced.
True, Smartphones had already become the norm in the early 10s, but it's still the same concept of having a phone as a computer. Music is probably change since Rnb was still charting, Lil wayne was the top rapper while Drake was still a Freshman and Trap music was less mainstream.

Written By: APDCR1990 on 06/13/18 at 10:33 am

I'm not sure about a drastic change in music. Music is obviously different today than in 2010, but not in a major way. I remember back in 2008 thinking that 2003/2004 felt incredibly dated. YouTube comments of '03/'04 videos in 2008 often described them as sounding "90's." If a song from 2013/2014 is played today, it doesn't feel *that* dated.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/13/18 at 10:57 am

I'm not sure about a drastic change in music. Music is obviously different today than in 2010, but not in a major way. I remember back in 2008 thinking that 2003/2004 felt incredibly dated. YouTube comments of '03/'04 videos in 2008 often described them as sounding "90's." If a song from 2013/2014 is played today, it doesn't feel *that* dated.

Yeah, I remember that. Even today,  if you go on YT, there are people who mistake songs from the early 2000s with songs from the 90s. I will say though, there are definitely songs from the early 2010s (esp. 2010 - 2012) that sound dated to me. It's sometimes even to the point where I can't enjoy the song as I once did.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/13/18 at 12:31 pm

If you pay attention to mainstream 2010’s music and listen to it a lot, then it would be a lot easier to tell the differences. If you’ve been paying attention to mainstream 2010’s music the entire decade, then I guarantee you can hear a difference between songs made in say 2015 and before and 2016-now. This is coming from somebody who is a core late 2010’s teen and was the quintessential mid-2010’s middle schooler. It has nothing to do with my personal life or age. I’ve been listening to trap songs since 2012 and even last year it was quite difficult for me to tell the differences between trap made in the late 2010’s vs. Mid-2010’s, but that was because I was so into the new trap I barely listened to the trap I used to listen to back in 2013-2015. I remember listening to some trap songs from the mid-2010’s and slowly noticing how different they sound compared to now. I made a thread about this when I guessed that a hip-hop song wasn’t from 2017 and I was right. It was from 2015. I know that is only one music genre, but still, it’s definitely something I’ve noticed. People who don’t like trap 2010’s music will likely not notice it.

Here’s an example. I can’t link it since I’m on my phone, but the song “679” by Fetty Wap sounds dated today and it was only made three years ago. My older sister who was born in late 1996 listened to it about a month ago and she said “This is such an old song”. Now, that’s saying something.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/13/18 at 2:51 pm

Here’s an example. I can’t link it since I’m on my phone, but the song “679” by Fetty Wap sounds dated today and it was only made three years ago. My older sister who was born in late 1996 listened to it about a month ago and she said “This is such an old song”. Now, that’s saying something.

Here is a song from 2016 that sounds very dated by today's standards.

cq8GTZXzdLs

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/13/18 at 3:01 pm

cq8GTZXzdLs

I can definitely hear how it sounds dated. I can't put my finger exactly on it, but it just wouldn't sound in place compared to songs released in 2018.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/13/18 at 6:19 pm

cq8GTZXzdLs

Here are some more songs from the mid-2010's that sound dated from a 2018 perspective:
6vYnas6q3Sg
cZaJYDPY-YQ
wzMrK-aGCug
Pzz4Z-O7710
nsiN0W15w0U
i_kF4zLNKio
SYbh6ob_R9M

Now compare that to this:
hYc95vB-nT4
ToY6sjSV8h8
xpVfcZ0ZcFM
h3EJICKwITw
VYOjWnS4cMY
U4fErC9skHE

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/16/18 at 12:18 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, what was changeful about this decade is the political climate and atmosphere. Technology wise however, this whole decade had smartphones and overall haven't changed much except for a few upgrades and features. Facebook and Twitter were more popular in 2010 while Instagram and Snapchat are more popular now. Overall, 2010 and 2018 don't feel as different as 2000 and 2008, or even moreso 1990 and 1998. I think it also has to do with getting older, and our perspective of time changes (it seems to go by a lot faster). Remembering my childhood in the 80's, it seemed like each year was different and unique from one another.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/18 at 12:36 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, what was changeful about this decade is the political climate and atmosphere. Technology wise however, this whole decade had smartphones and overall haven't changed much except for a few upgrades and features. Facebook and Twitter were more popular in 2010 while Instagram and Snapchat are more popular now. Overall, 2010 and 2018 don't feel as different as 2000 and 2008, or even more so 1990 and 1998. I think it also has to do with getting older, and our perspective of time changes (it seems to go by a lot faster). Remembering my childhood in the 80's, it seemed like each year was different and unique from one another.

Twitter has been the quintessential social media platform of this decade. If anything I believe Twitter since 2012 has been more popular than 2010 and 2011. Whenever something major happens in the political world or sports world everybody goes to Twitter to see what's trending #hashtag. Everybody uses Twitter from what I know. Facebook on the other hand yeah I agree, Instagram and Snapchat have replaced that in terms of popularity by millennials and early Gen Z folks. Facebook is still being used but it's past its prime though. With everything else you're definitely spot on which we talked about on the other thread.  ;)

As for the second part I have in bold I had to bring this up to a lot of youngsters on here who don't remember all of the 2000's. Us older folks lived the 90's and/or 00's and understand how rapidly technology and music changed throughout the time. Technology has changed in the 2010's but not so much as the 90's and 00's. Photo comparisons will show you that attitude change too.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/18 at 9:32 pm

The 2010s decade was not super changeful. Music and pop culture is relatively similar from the start to 2018. The only big change this decade was the huge political divide and rise of populism and Trump becoming president. Tech has changed quite a bit as well. But pop-culture wise, it's really similar the entire decade even if you do divide it.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/16/18 at 9:39 pm

I actually think the opposite. I don't think there has been a decade with this much similarities in culturally all the way through. Maybe the 1980s, but the 2010s were even more consistent than it I believe.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/16/18 at 10:58 pm

I actually think the opposite. I don't think there has been a decade with this much similarities in culturally all the way through. Maybe the 1980s, but the 2010s were even more consistent than it I believe.

I would say this was the case up to about 2017.  It was a more slow evolution to get from the early '10s to the mid '10s.  Trump's election and Presidency has completely changed the entire zeitgeist.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/18 at 11:20 pm

I would say this was the case up to about 2017.  It was a more slow evolution to get from the early '10s to the mid '10s.  Trump's election and Presidency has completely changed the entire zeitgeist.

The political changes were going on before Trump got popular throughout 2015 and 2016. Like someone already mentioned Obama's 2nd term was a lot more dark, gloomy and divided than Obama's 1st term which had a bright light atmosphere despite the economy still recovering at the time. ISIS, police brutality, BLM movements, the LGBT stuff, violent protests, etc. were happening before Trump came on the rise, which weren't happening at all or not as often during the early 2010's.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/17/18 at 11:57 am

The political changes were going on before Trump got popular throughout 2015 and 2016. Like someone already mentioned Obama's 2nd term was a lot more dark, gloomy and divided than Obama's 1st term which had a bright light atmosphere despite the economy still recovering at the time. ISIS, police brutality, BLM movements, the LGBT stuff, violent protests, etc. were happening before Trump came on the rise, which weren't happening at all or not as often during the early 2010's.

I do agree here.  I moved back to Oklahoma in 2012 and did ex-gay conversion therapy in 2013-14 so I took the brunt of it.  I was reminded of it the other night when my dad started ranting about Obama.  People lost their minds about gay marriage and still haven't accepted it.  2013-2016 was very dark in this country and were probably the worst years of my life.  Donald Trump is everything that was wrong with the mid '10s personified.  All of the hate, the rage, the anger, the drive to make this a country for white heterosexual fundamentalist Christians only.  It's all personified in this one evil, despicable man who has complete and total control over the US.  I agree that the early '10s were a much brighter, more optimistic time.  I see little hope for the future as a society because we have about 30% of the US population who refuse to accept the social and cultural changes of the past half-century and will do anything, even if it means destroying our society, to bring back their 1950s white heterosexual Christian utopia.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/17/18 at 1:50 pm

I didn't realize how dated some of 2000s rock is until I heard the Zombie cover.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/17/18 at 4:15 pm

Speaking of this, I think the '00s struggled to establish their own identity until the second half of the decade.  It was a very slow transition from '90s to '00s, contrasted with the relatively quick transition from '00s to '10s.  The '10s identity was pretty much in place by 2012.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/18 at 4:41 pm

Speaking of this, I think the '00s struggled to establish their own identity until the second half of the decade.  It was a very slow transition from '90s to '00s, contrasted with the relatively quick transition from '00s to '10s.  The '10s identity was pretty much in place by 2012.

I disagree with this. The entire '00s identity actually started around 1999, and the main identity of the 2000s peaked in 2004. The early 2000s were as 2000s as you can get. 2006 and afterwards are not the main identity of the 2000s, they are part of the modern 2000s that started the transition into brand new culture. Yeah they are still part of the 2000s but not true 2000s culture, that would be from the first half.

As for the 2010s, the same happened. The identity started showing itself in 2009 and was established throughout the early 2010s. However 2010s culture is still going pretty strong right now.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/17/18 at 5:11 pm

I disagree with this. The entire '00s identity actually started around 1999, and the main identity of the 2000s peaked in 2004. The early 2000s were as 2000s as you can get. 2006 and afterwards are not the main identity of the 2000s, they are part of the modern 2000s that started the transition into brand new culture. Yeah they are still part of the 2000s but not true 2000s culture, that would be from the first half.

As for the 2010s, the same happened. The identity started showing itself in 2009 and was established throughout the early 2010s. However 2010s culture is still going pretty strong right now.
lol will you quit over exaggerating the 2006 shift? The shifts in that year were nothing compared to the shifts in 2007-2009. In 2006 into early/mid 2007, CRT TVs were still standard, Call of Duty wasn't a juggernaut yet, pop-punk was still in peak popularity, TeenNick was still in its Golden Age (pre-iCarly), and there was no Recession. It also wasn't until 2007 when the Harry Potter book series concluded, when Transformers debuted in theaters, when auto-tune became popular (T-Pain), and when Obama and Hillary began campaigning for the 2008 election. I'm not saying there were no breakthroughs in 2006, but the whole "2006 shift" is grossly over exaggerated, even John Titor admitted so. 2006 and 2007 should definitely be part of the core 00s identity, 2004-2007 culturally were the heart of the 00s, more specifically the 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007 seasons. After broadband was standard (mid 2004), but before LCD TVs were standard (late 2007), when goth-emo was at its peak popularity (post Green Day's "American Idiot", pre Paramore's "Riot"), during the Golden Age of TeenNick (Drake & Josh, Unfabulous, Ned's Declassified), around and after World of Warcraft came out, but before Modern Warfare came out and COD-mania took over, and with the great tech shift in cell phones, starting with the Razr and ending with the iPhone.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/17/18 at 6:28 pm

lol will you quit over exaggerating the 2006 shift? The shifts in that year were nothing compared to 2007-2009. In 2006 into early/mid 2007, CRT TVs were still standard, Call of Duty wasn't a juggernaut yet, pop-punk was still in peak popularity, TeenNick was still in its Golden Age (pre-iCarly), and there was no Recession. It also wasn't until 2007 when the Harry Potter book series concluded, when Transformers debuted in theaters, when auto-tune became popular (T-Pain), and when Obama and Hillary began campaigning for the 2008 election. I'm not saying there were no breakthroughs in 2006, but the whole "2006 shift" is grossly over exaggerated. 2006 and 2007 should definitely be part of the core 00s identity, 2004-2007 culturally were the heart of the 00s, more specifically the 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007 seasons. After broadband was standard (mid 2004), but before LCD TVs were standard (late 2007), when goth-emo was at its peak popularity (post Green Day's "American Idiot", pre Paramore's "Riot"), during the Golden Age of TeenNick (Drake & Josh, Unfabulous, Ned's Declassified), around and after World of Warcraft came out, before Modern Warfare came out and COD-mania took over, and with the great tech shift in cell phones, starting with the Razr and ending with the iPhone.

I kind of agree with Slim when he says the 2000s began in 99 although a good argument can be made that it began in 98. I really, really wouldn't say 2006 was a great shift. It was more of a waning. A waning of the core 2000s. 2007 was the real shift and right on time because it was the late 00s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/17/18 at 6:29 pm

Guys, this isn't about transitions of the 2000's. This is solely about the 2010's. This thread was posted in the 2010's section for a reason.

Talk about this somewhere else because this thread is unrelated to it.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/17/18 at 6:39 pm

I kind of agree with Slim when he says the 2000s began in 99 although a good argument can be made that it began in 98. I really, really wouldn't say 2006 was a great shift. It was more of a waning. A waning of the core 2000s. 2007 was the real shift and right on time because it was the late 00s.

I agree with everything you said here. I do agree with Slim on 1999 being the start of '00s culture, more specifically the 1998-1999 season. I also like the way you put it for the late '00s shift, and can certainly agree with it. 2006 being when it just started to wane, but 2007 being when the shift came in full swing.

Anyways, if anyone wants to talk to me any more about '00s shifts, reply to me on my post about '00s shifts and transitions.
www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=58137.0

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/17/18 at 6:40 pm

I agree with everything you said here. I do agree with Slim on 1999 being the start of '00s culture. I also like the way you put it for the late '00s shift. I'm fine and can certainly agree with late 2006 being when core '00s culture started to wane a bit, but with 2007 being when the shift came in full swing.

Anyways, if anyone wants to talk to me any more about '00s shifts, reply to me on my post about '00s shifts and transitions.

Guys, this isn't about transitions of the 2000's. This is solely about the 2010's. This thread was posted in the 2010's section for a reason.

Talk about this somewhere else because this thread is unrelated to it.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/17/18 at 6:42 pm

I redirected any conversation about this topic to my thread.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 06/17/18 at 6:44 pm

I would say politics and music now is different than it was in 2010, maybe fashion to a certain extent. Scene fashion wasn’t really popular anymore in 2010, but the full identity of the 2010s style didn’t establish itself until about 2012.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/17/18 at 6:45 pm

I redirected any conversation about this topic to my thread.

Thanks. I don't want this thread to be Crop Tops for Guysified.  ;D ;D

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/17/18 at 6:55 pm

FINE!!!

Are the 2010's more changeful than we say? I dunno. This decade isn't over. I'm sure it has been very changeful. Changes don't really make their impressions known until later.

But from my vantage point, the late 00s/ early 10s was an era and it has kinda felt like we've been in the same era since 2016 although I definitely detect changes but I can't really pin them down.

In terms of history, I'm just not seeing it right now. Besides the early 2010s, for all the good things here and there, this decade has seemed very stagnant and near forgettable to an extent. But I know that can't be completely true because so many people here say the 2010s will not age well, and what decade that has aged well is memorable?

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 06/18/18 at 12:01 am

Pretty agreeable, I think we started leaning towards the 2000s somewhere in 1999 though, there was some 2000s culture as early as 1997. Also, whenever I think of the 2000s, I immediately think of the early 2000s (especially 2002 - 2004), I just think the early 2000s had a much stronger identity than the later half of the 2000s did.

For the original topic, I do think people underrate the change for the 2010s, especially in the political department. Pop Culture is different compared to 2010 but, not drastically, the same also applies to technology. I do believe that the 1990s and 2000s were alot more changeful than this decade has been though.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/28/20 at 8:59 am

It’s 2020 and I still firmly believe the 2010’s were more transitional than people give credit for. But of course some people completely missed the point  ;D

Written By: rapplepop on 01/28/20 at 8:13 pm

It’s 2020 and I still firmly believe the 2010’s were more transitional than people give credit for. But of course some people completely missed the point  ;D

I've watched a couple movies from 2009 recently and they actually seem kind of old. A lot of the culture is dated (especially sexual jokes that would be considered too offensive now), people on landlines, the lack of smartphones.

I think the world changed a lot between 2010 and 2020.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/29/20 at 1:18 am

Yes, but the feeling sank in slowly for me. In early 2016 I was thinking culture was still in the shadow of 2009 (as did others on here).

But then big changes began happening during the Late 2016 shift (srsly lol) to 2017, and the early 2010s were showing their age, but I still didn't think they were FOREVER ago yet.

Then early 10s nostalgia exploded online in 2018-2019 and that's when I finally budged and went "Yep, they WERE forever ago." Lol

Written By: Slim95 on 01/29/20 at 3:58 pm

Things have just been slowly changing and progressing it's not as if there were zero changes it's just it feels that way when you compare it to the changes of the 1990s and 2000s. Anyone who grew up during either of those decades know what I mean. The differences between '00 and '09 were waaaaay more profound than this decade.

Written By: CarCar on 01/31/20 at 2:22 am

A lot of people here say that the 2010's have been a consistent decade and that the difference between say 2012 vs. 2018 is not as big. However, I was reading some posts on inthe00s about how some people think the difference between 2011 to 2018 is bigger than the difference between 2001 and 2008.

Technology-wise, the 2010's have been somewhat changeful but mostly consistent IMO. We started off the decade with the release of the first iPad and Blackberries being very popular as well as iPhones. We still use iPhones today, but they are more upgraded, bigger, work faster, better quality, and have a more modern layout. However, in 2010, it was still pretty common to see people using digital cameras. They started fading after 2011.

Pop culturally, the 2010's have been a really transformative decade. We started off the decade at the peak of the electropop era. Hip-hop, while mostly sounding early 2010's, still had some late 2000's sound. A good example of this is "All I do is win" by DJ Khaled. The mid-2010's was when trap was gaining popularity, and when some early 2010's artists weren't popular anymore.

Even with fashion, I notice a difference.
I'm noticing a lot fewer hipsters this year now compared to say 2014. In 2014, hipsters were pretty much everywhere, but it seems like in 2018 they have faded and it's not the in thing anymore.

Here are some more changes that I've noticed between 2010 vs. now.

2010:

2018:
Trump is president

Just take a look at these two selfies (both are not mine) one is from 2010, the other is from 2017.

https://img00.deviantart.net/2e2d/i/2010/224/3/a/get_your_grr_face_on_by_katekillssunshine.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2yzdXNWQAQqrYw.jpg

You definitely get two completely different vibes. The former is dressed mostly in Scene and using an old phone, whereas the latter is using a big iPhone and is mostly dressed as your typical Instagram girl. And let's not forget again that Instagram didn't even exist for most of 2010.

My point is, I definitely feel like the 2010's were more changeful than we say. I'd even go as far to say it's just as transformative as the 2000's, with the exception of the technology. Fashion-wise, I definitely feel as though the 2010's were more transformative than the 2000's.

I actually don’t think Gen Z has made any impact as much as they like to Belice they do specifically in the 2010s. I actually think Millennials made way more of an impact during the decade since they had a head start and were in they’re 20s and early 30s during the decade, in fact your average 25 year old in 2015 was born in 1990/1989. Gen Z will start making small impacts in 2020s as they head off into young adulthood

Written By: Sman12 on 01/31/20 at 1:17 pm

I actually don’t think Gen Z has made any impact as much as they like to Belice they do specifically in the 2010s. I actually think Millennials made way more of an impact during the decade since they had a head start and were in they’re 20s and early 30s during the decade, in fact your average 25 year old in 2015 was born in 1990/1989. Gen Z will start making small impacts in 2020s as they head off into young adulthood

Mostly, you'd be right, but I would say the years of 2018 and 2019 in particular had hints of Gen Z's impact with events like the March for Our Lives, climate strike, and popular Gen Z artists like Billie Eilish.

Written By: CarCar on 01/31/20 at 2:39 pm

Mostly, you'd be right, but I would say the years of 2018 and 2019 in particular had hints of Gen Z's impact with events like the March for Our Lives, climate strike, and popular Gen Z artists like Billie Eilish.

Only as Teenagers and Kids not as Young Adults like Millennials really tbh, Millennials were still in they’re 20s and very much in the spotlight, in fact I think the late 2010s is when Millennial celebrities got the most recognition in comparison to the early part of the decade since they had just entered young adulthood and hadn’t accomplished half the things they did like in 2018-2019. Like Rihanna with her cosmetic company(fenty) or Drake and Taylor Swift teaching new heights in music in 2017-2019, i just think the late 2010s is when Gen Z came into the picture but didn’t really make any major strides or impactful major changes considering the decade was practically almost finished by then

Written By: Sman12 on 02/01/20 at 9:54 am

Only as Teenagers and Kids not as Young Adults like Millennials really tbh, Millennials were still in they’re 20s and very much in the spotlight, in fact I think the late 2010s is when Millennial celebrities got the most recognition in comparison to the early part of the decade since they had just entered young adulthood and hadn’t accomplished half the things they did like in 2018-2019. Like Rihanna with her cosmetic company(fenty) or Drake and Taylor Swift teaching new heights in music in 2017-2019, i just think the late 2010s is when Gen Z came into the picture but didn’t really make any major strides or impactful major changes considering the decade was practically almost finished by then

I honestly just view the 2010s decade as a transition from millenials to Gen Z, because the 2000s also had popular millenial celebrities like Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Beyoncé, and even Rihanna was hitting it big in the late 2000s.

Written By: CarCar on 02/01/20 at 5:04 pm

I honestly just view the 2010s decade as a transition from millenials to Gen Z, because the 2000s also had popular millenial celebrities like Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Beyoncé, and even Rihanna was hitting it big in the late 2000s.

I don’t know or think if I consider Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé and Britney Millennials since they were born in 1981. Rihanna was hitting it big in the 2010s as well when she achieved major stardom unlike in the 2000s when she was just in her beginnings

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/01/20 at 5:58 pm

I don’t know or think if I consider Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé and Britney Millennials since they were born in 1981. Rihanna was hitting it big in the 2010s as well when she achieved major stardom unlike in the 2000s when she was just in her beginnings

She became a household name in 2007. I remember someone calling "Good Girl Gone Bad" her "Dangerously in Love." I agree with them.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 02/06/20 at 11:32 am

I agree, the 2000s are what the 80s were to Gen Xers. Millenials were kids, teens and Young Adults in the 00s where as the 10s they were only teens and adults since tge youngest millenial was in high school by that point.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 02/07/20 at 9:53 am

I agree, the 2000s are what the 80s were to Gen Xers. Millenials were kids, teens and Young Adults in the 00s where as the 10s they were only teens and adults since tge youngest millenial was in high school by that point.

Makes sense, since the youngest millennial were only 13-14 years old when 2010 started.

Check for new replies or respond here...