inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How would you describe the 2017-2018 school year culturally?

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/14/18 at 8:39 am

I decided to make this thread because I'm on summer break, so the 2017-2018 school year for me is pretty much over. How would you describe this school year in terms of culture, music, technology, etc?

I feel as if this is the first full Generation Z school year. After the Parkland shooting in Florida, Generation Z has really been starting to make an impact. I also think this is easily the peak late 2010's school year. Music sounds different from the mid-2010's. Technology still hasn't changed though, but the iPhone X is starting to become popular at my school. A few kids in my class already have one. Hipsters are dying and are seen more as a mid-2010's thing. Instagram and Snapchat are still very popular as well as trap music.

Subject: Re: How would you describe the 2017-2018 school year culturally?

Written By: mqg96 on 06/14/18 at 8:59 am

K-12 has long been in Gen Z culture. I feel like the first full Gen Z school year for K-12 was 2013-2014 or 2014-2015. Since 1995 and 1996 born's are the guinea pigs of Gen Z even if we're still the tail end of Gen Y this makes sense because that was our senior year. We discussed this over a year ago, but go ahead. I feel my my time in high school was a hybrid of Gen Y culture and Gen Z culture. If Gen Y culture in high school started during the Y2K/millennium era which was 1998-1999 or 1999-2000 then there's no way it could have still been going on by the mid 2010's. The early 2010's was the last time high school felt like it was pure Gen Y. Twitter and Instagram has been at its peak since 2012 and Snapchat got big in 2013 (the craze started my senior year in 2013-14), even if it's more popular now. Shootings (or terrorist attacks), police brutality, riots, protests, the rise of the politically correct world on social media, etc. has been consistently going on since 2015, even before Trump came on the rise later that year. Even if music in the late 2010's sounds different, it's still been the Gen Z era of music since the mid 2010's including Gen Z music artists who have already been around. All of this is Gen Z culture. Now, A LOT of this Gen Z culture I'm bringing up late Gen Y members were apart of as college students as well. This is the TRUTH people. I know college fraternities and sororities that's been using Snapchat for groups going back to late 2013 and 2014.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/14/18 at 9:12 am

K-12 has long been in Gen Z culture. I feel like the first full Gen Z school year for K-12 was 2013-2014 or 2014-2015. Since 1995 and 1996 born's are the guinea pigs of Gen Z even if we're still the tail end of Gen Y this makes sense because that was our senior year. We discussed this over a year ago, but go ahead. I feel my my time in high school was a hybrid of Gen Y culture and Gen Z culture. If Gen Y culture in high school started during the Y2K/millennium era which was 1998-1999 or 1999-2000 then there's no way it could have still been going on by the mid 2010's. The early 2010's was the last time high school felt like it was pure Gen Y. Twitter and Instagram has been at its peak since 2012 and Snapchat got big in 2013 (the craze started my senior year in 2013-14), even if it's more popular now. Shootings (or terrorist attacks), police brutality, riots, protests, the rise of the politically correct world on social media, etc. has been consistently going on since 2015, even before Trump came on the rise later that year. Even if music in the late 2010's sounds different, it's still been the Gen Z era of music since the mid 2010's including Gen Z music artists who have already been around. All of this is Gen Z culture. Now, A LOT of this Gen Z culture I'm bringing up late Gen Y members were apart of as college students as well. This is the TRUTH people. I know college fraternities and sororities that's been using Snapchat for groups going back to late 2013 and 2014.

Dude, that's not what I was getting at. I didn't make my whole original post about Generation Y or Z culture. Music sounds different from the mid-2010's, which is my reason as to why I think we are in the peak late 2010's. It had nothing to do with Gen Z culture or whatever. The only reason why I said I think this is the first full Gen Z school year was that of the Parkland Shooting. Yeah, shootings have been happening a lot in this decade, but the Parkland shooting especially received a lot of reaction from high school students, which are firmly Gen Z.

The mid-2010's IMO was more Y/Z Cusp than full Gen Z.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/14/18 at 9:33 am

Dude, that's not what I was getting at. I didn't make my whole original post about Generation Y or Z culture. Music sounds different from the mid-2010's, which is my reason as to why I think we are in the peak late 2010's. It had nothing to do with Gen Z culture or whatever. The only reason why I said I think this is the first full Gen Z school year was that of the Parkland Shooting. Yeah, shootings have been happening a lot in this decade, but the Parkland shooting especially received a lot of reaction from high school students, which are firmly Gen Z.

The mid-2010's IMO was more Y/Z Cusp than full Gen Z.

So did Sandy Hook or the Umpqua Community College shooting in Oregon as well. I understand how big the Parkland shooting was but it didn't establish the fact that we are in Gen Z culture for school because we've already been in it. There have already been mass school shootings, terrorist attacks, and major brutality going across the U.S. throughout the mid 2010's well before that. Social media becoming more and more sensitive due to the politically correct world we live in is part of this as well. There's so many other factors that make Gen Z culture already fully established in schools since the mid 2010's. Instagram and Snapchat being fully established even before the mid 2010's began is evidence right there. Music sounding different from the mid 2010's has nothing to do with it because we've already been in the Gen Z era of music and there's already been Gen Z artists since the mid 2010's. No cusp or anything. Cusp only applies when we're talking about how long the people have been part of the culture. For an example, I could be on the cusp of Y & Z because I was in high school for most of Y culture and then Z culture by the end of it. We've been in Gen Z culture since the mid 2010's. 1999-2000 (the new millennium/Y2K) was the beginning of Gen Y culture. 2014-2015 (the first half of the teens onto the second half) was the beginning of Gen Z culture. Makes complete since. I've already given you enough evidence from my first post so I'll stop right there.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/14/18 at 9:40 am

So did Sandy Hook or the Umpqua Community College shooting in Oregon as well. I understand how big the Parkland shooting was but it didn't establish the fact that we are in Gen Z culture for school because we've already been in it. There have already been mass school shootings, terrorist attacks, and major brutality going across the U.S. throughout the mid 2010's well before that. Social media becoming more and more sensitive due to the politically correct world we live in is part of this as well. There's so many other factors that make Gen Z culture already fully established in schools since the mid 2010's. Instagram and Snapchat being fully established even before the mid 2010's began is evidence right there. Music sounding different from the mid 2010's has nothing to do with it because we've already been in the Gen Z era of music and there's already been Gen Z artists since the mid 2010's. No cusp or anything. Cusp only applies when we're talking about how long the people have been part of the culture. For an example, I could be on the cusp of Y & Z because I was in high school for most of Y culture and then Z culture by the end of it. We've been in Gen Z culture since the mid 2010's. 1999-2000 (the new millennium/Y2K) was the beginning of Gen Y culture. 2014-2015 (the first half of the teens onto the second half) was the beginning of Gen Z culture. Makes complete since. I've already given you enough evidence from my first post so I'll stop right there.

Wow, it’s as clear as day you didn’t understand my post.

I’m not arguing about this generational stuff anymore.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/14/18 at 10:00 am

This school year was crazy, Hurricane Harvey and Irma happened in the United States back to back, and also Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. The 2017 Las Vegas Shooting, Parkland Shooting, and the Santa Fe shooting. This is a school year I'll remember specifically because of these events. This was also the first full school year of Donald Trump's presidency.

Yeah, I agree. This was definitely an interesting school year culture-wise. This is the first school year people born in the 2000's are becoming adults. And by the 2018-2019 school year, there will be more 2020's graduates in high school than 2010's graduates.

Written By: Wobo on 06/14/18 at 1:48 pm

Another trap year, iPhone 8/X and Fortnite school year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fad of the '17-'18 school year: Fortnite
Fad of the '16-'17 school year: Fidget Spinners

Written By: Wobo on 06/14/18 at 1:58 pm

This school year was crazy, Hurricane Harvey and Irma happened in the United States back to back, and also Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. The 2017 Las Vegas Shooting, Parkland Shooting, and the Santa Fe shooting. This is a school year I'll remember specifically because of these events. This was also the first full school year of Donald Trump's presidency.

Yeah it was, maybe the defining school year of the 2010s?

Written By: Wobo on 06/14/18 at 1:59 pm

It was also my last school year of being in middle school.

Written By: ofkx on 06/14/18 at 3:25 pm

I don't want to call it peak late-2010s cause we still have the 2018-2019 school year left but it definitely feels that way. The 2016-2017 school year had fads like fidget spinners and Overwatch, while 2017-2018 had Fortnite. There's also Twitch which wasn't as nearly as big in the 2016-2017 school year as it was in 2017-2018 and Google Trend shows that too.
https://i.imgur.com/JLilo64.png
Games like Fortnite and streamers like Ninja really helped push Twitch into the spotlight.
And tbh the iPhone X was uncommon at my school. I only know around 3 people that have bough it.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/14/18 at 5:50 pm

The 2016-2017 school year also had the Pokemon Go fad in the 2nd half of 2016.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/14/18 at 5:52 pm

Tbh I would agree this year was the peak late 2010s year. It was also the year I graduated High School (Late 2017).

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/14/18 at 6:42 pm

I'll say last school year was the first full gen z year with the fidget spinners and pokemon go, 2016 election and the arrival of the Nintendo Switch, but to mqg's point I feel that the 2012-13 year was the frist signs of gen z culture with the rise of trap music, Sandy hook, Chief Keef, Wii-U and the rise of Instagram.

Written By: Wobo on 06/14/18 at 7:16 pm

The 2016-2017 school year also had the Pokemon Go fad in the 2nd half of 2016.

Don't remember Pokemon Go still being big when i came back to school in 2016.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/14/18 at 7:17 pm

Don't remember Pokemon Go still being big when i came back to school in 2016.

Well where I was it was big around July-October.

Written By: Wobo on 06/14/18 at 7:20 pm

Well where I was it was big around July-October.

It's craze died down after summer ended where i live.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/14/18 at 7:36 pm

2016 was the 20th anniversary year of Pokemon worldwide. They did a Super Bowl commercial for that earlier in the year when the Panthers and Broncos played. The Pokemon Go craze during the summer was so huge to the point where even adults did it too who were never into Pokemon during the original craze back in the millennium era. The Pokemon Sun & Moon game came out including the series in Japan but it wasn't in the U.S. until 2017 though. 2016 was the final year Time Warner had rights to Pokemon before Disney bought it when it moved to Disney XD in 2017. So all those years it was on Kids WB and CN up until the end of 2016 Time Warner had rights to it. So 2016 was a very significant year for Pokemon in general.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/14/18 at 7:40 pm

2016 was the 20th anniversary year of Pokemon worldwide. They did a Super Bowl commercial for that earlier in the year when the Panthers and Broncos played. The Pokemon Go craze during the summer was so huge to the point where even adults did it too who were never into Pokemon during the original craze back in the millennium era. The Pokemon Sun & Moon game came out including the series in Japan but it wasn't in the U.S. until 2017 though. 2016 was the final year Time Warner had rights to Pokemon before Disney bought it when it moved to Disney XD in 2017. So all those years it was on Kids WB and CN up until the end of 2016 Time Warner had rights to it. So 2016 was a very significant year for Pokemon in general.
Sun and Moon actually came out in 2016 in the US becasue I got it when it lauched, it was Europe that got it in 2017.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/14/18 at 7:42 pm

Sun and Moon actually came out in 2016 in the US becasue I got it when it lauched, it was Europe that got it in 2017.

Yeah I know. I meant to say the Sun & Moon game came out worldwide in 2016 but the TV series came out in Japan in 2016 while the TV series didn't come out in the U.S. until 2017. Either way, 2016 was a HUGE year for Pokemon with the fact that it was its 20th anniversary. That will always be a memorable year for the franchise. Probably the biggest year for the franchise since it first exploded in the U.S. in 1999.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/14/18 at 7:51 pm

Yeah I know. I meant to say the Sun & Moon game came out worldwide in 2016 but the TV series came out in Japan in 2016 while the TV series didn't come out in the U.S. until 2017. Either way, 2016 was a HUGE year for Pokemon with the fact that it was its 20th anniversary. That will always be a memorable year for the franchise. Probably the biggest year for the franchise since it first exploded in the U.S. in 1999.
Yeah true. Pokemon is still trying keep the momentum going with the Pokemon Lets Go Pickachu and Lets Go Evee which has Pokemon Go intergration.

Written By: bluedust on 06/25/18 at 1:17 am

Really politically tense climate because of the school shootings. My school participated in the school walkout in March.
Fortnite everywhere.

Check for new replies or respond here...