inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Random Observations about First half of 2010

Written By: John Titor on 06/21/18 at 11:05 am

- Nickelodeon was on fire with shows like Victorious  & VP, it seemed the channel was on a new upswing after the disastrous previous year.
- First year "Hipster" starts to dominate, bands like Passion Pit & MGMT start to really take over.
- Ipad was laughed at as a big iphone at first, but people were still excited for it.
- Last ever year with any EMO or Scene influences
- Peak year for Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz & Kesha
- Last year Blockbuster was a store for many towns
- Xbox 360 still leading the pack until the second half of the year when Ps3 slim gained momentum
- Despite being popular in late 2008, American Apparel & Urban Outfitters become the defacto standard for clothing.
- 80s Nostalgia starts to peak
- Final year Blackberrys would dominate over Iphone
- Toy Story 3 proves to be even more popular than Toy Story 2
- 3D TV's become a trend

-Sense of optimism was in the air despite the bad economy at the time

Subject: Re: Random Observations about First half of 2010

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 06/21/18 at 12:13 pm

Exactly how I remember the first half of 2010.  ;D

GJ

Written By: John Titor on 06/21/18 at 12:33 pm

Exactly how I remember the first half of 2010.  ;D

GJ

first half of 2010 was damn amazing

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/18 at 12:43 pm

This is basically how I remember early 2010.

Plus, I graduated from elementary school in June 2010.

Also, I consider the Summer of 2010 to be the "last summer of my childhood".

Written By: bchris02 on 06/21/18 at 12:44 pm

first half of 2010 was damn amazing

It was pretty much the peak of my life.  I miss that era so much.  What I would give to go back and do my life over again from that point.  Things would have turned out so much different.

Kk8eJh4i8Lo

uWWG75lLemA

4QxNgnGeczk

niqrrmev4mA

kdAj-dBNCi4

C4lzcvk7m9A

JqHliQijgvA

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/21/18 at 1:28 pm

Scene influences lasted until 2011 where I live. 2012 it was dying out, but a lot of the other things were the same for me!

Written By: ofkx on 06/21/18 at 2:02 pm

I feel like there were more emos than hipsters though ???, and the Blackberry dominated over iPhones until 2012 in my area.
Btw, I completely forgot about the 3D T.V trend ;D. I've only ever seen them in stores though, so I don't think anyone actually bought them

Written By: John Titor on 06/21/18 at 2:05 pm

At the time 3d tv was so lame, atleast I thought it was stupid and would not last & it didn't lol

Written By: bchris02 on 06/21/18 at 3:51 pm

I feel like there were more emos than hipsters though ???, and the Blackberry dominated over iPhones until 2012 in my area.
Btw, I completely forgot about the 3D T.V trend ;D. I've only ever seen them in stores though, so I don't think anyone actually bought them

Hipsters became an everyday topic around the second half of 2012 in my memory, when the song "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore was popular.  In my opinion, that was hipsterism's "coming out party" into the mainstream.  Prior to that, I would say emo/scene was more popular.

QK8mJJJvaes

From my memory, Blackberries were primarily a late '00s thing, kind of during that transition from dumb to smart phones.  They were also more popular for business than they were for personal use, though tech enthusiasts were also early adopters.  They quickly jumped off the Blackberry bandwagon and onto the iPhone between 2007 and 2010.  The 3D TV trend came and went pretty quickly.  I always thought it was much less practical than 3D movies.

Written By: John Titor on 06/21/18 at 3:56 pm

Hipsters became an everyday topic around the second half of 2012 in my memory, when the song "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore was popular.  In my opinion, that was hipsterism's "coming out party" into the mainstream.  Prior to that, I would say emo/scene was more popular.

QK8mJJJvaes

From my memory, Blackberries were primarily a late '00s thing, kind of during that transition from dumb to smart phones.  They were also more popular for business than they were for personal use, though tech enthusiasts were also early adopters.  They quickly jumped off the Blackberry bandwagon and onto the iPhone between 2007 and 2010.  The 3D TV trend came and went pretty quickly.  I always thought it was much less practical than 3D movies.

EMo on the north east was dead by late 2009

Written By: bchris02 on 06/21/18 at 3:58 pm

EMo on the north east was dead by late 2009

In North Carolina (where I lived at the time) it saw a noticeable decline towards the end of 2009 but emo/scene influenced fashion continued for a couple more years.  Scene lasted longer than pure emo did. A lot of guys still had long scene hair in early 2010.  My hair is naturally curly so I was never able to do that style the way I wanted to.

Written By: John Titor on 06/21/18 at 4:02 pm

In North Carolina (where I lived at the time) it saw a noticeable decline towards the end of 2009 but emo/scene influenced fashion continued for a couple more years.  Scene lasted longer than pure emo did. A lot of guys still had long scene hair in early 2010.  My hair is naturally curly so I was never able to do that style the way I wanted to.

NC is super late on everything lol

Usually trends go in faster in NY, LA, Miami etc

Written By: bchris02 on 06/21/18 at 4:11 pm

NC is super late on everything lol

Usually trends go in faster in NY, LA, Miami etc

It's weird thinking about NC being late when it comes to trends when I am currently living in a small town in Oklahoma where it might as well still be the 1980s or at least the 90s.  NC seemed very modern in comparison.

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/18 at 4:20 pm

Emo is popular now than it was in 2010 lol. Emo peaked in 2006/early 2007 and was in decline throughout the late 2000s. Hipster was already big by 2008/2009. In 2010 there were a plethora of articles calling hipsters dead (like how the beard died in 2014 and manbun died in 2016), which just goes to show it was exploding at the time :P

Written By: bchris02 on 06/21/18 at 4:23 pm

Here is a Shane Dawson video from 2010.  That hairstyle was everywhere back then.

9Lg4WM1U3hc

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/18 at 4:32 pm

Here is a Shane Dawson video from 2010.  That hairstyle was everywhere back then.

9Lg4WM1U3hc

I remember a lot of people at my school used to call him tranny/gay and I think his hair had a lot to do with it.  :-X

I mean he did come out as bisexual and non-binary gender later on, but I think that was most people's impression of the hairstyle back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/21/18 at 4:38 pm

I remember a lot of people at my school used to call him tranny/gay and I think his hair had a lot to do with it.  :-X

I mean he did come out as bisexual and non-binary gender later on, but I think that was most people's impression of the hairstyle back then.

But that was a very popular hairstyle among the popular YouTube vloggers of the era.  Interesting that most of them have since come out gay/bi since then.  Also interesting is that neither Smosh guy ever came out. I would be surprised if they didn't fool around with each other.

CdESFYgwxNk

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/18 at 4:47 pm

It's weird thinking about NC being late when it comes to trends when I am currently living in a small town in Oklahoma where it might as well still be the 1980s or at least the 90s.  NC seemed very modern in comparison.

What's the name of the town you live in?

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/18 at 4:56 pm

But that was a very popular hairstyle among the popular YouTube vloggers of the era.  Interesting that most of them have since come out gay/bi since then.  Also interesting is that neither Smosh guy ever came out. I would be surprised if they didn't fool around with each other.

CdESFYgwxNk

I remember you linking that video before ;D

Also yeah it is pretty interesting 🤔

Another interesting part of it is the "do these jeans make my butt look fat?" part. Most people would consider these days thanks to Kim Kardashian. :P

Written By: mqg96 on 06/21/18 at 5:27 pm

CdESFYgwxNk

For a straight/heterosexual guy that thumbnail tried to fool me hahaha.

(NO OFFENSE TO ANYBODY WHO'S GAY JUST MY OPINION AND PERSPECTIVE!)

Written By: Dundee on 06/21/18 at 7:08 pm

2010 was also the start of a big animation upswing with Disney releasing Tangled and Cartoon Network starting to air Adventure Time.

Written By: Wobo on 06/21/18 at 7:11 pm

I was in kindergarten going to the first grade, i miss 2010.

Written By: aja675 on 06/21/18 at 8:13 pm

BTW, he has a lookalike in the album.  :D

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/18 at 8:47 pm

For a straight/heterosexual guy that thumbnail tried to fool me hahaha.

(NO OFFENSE TO ANYBODY WHO'S GAY JUST MY OPINION AND PERSPECTIVE!)

LOL

BTW, he has a lookalike in the album.  :D

Hew?

Written By: aja675 on 06/21/18 at 10:58 pm

Mother Superior.  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 06/22/18 at 1:49 pm

Early 2010 felt like 2009. Late 2010 felt quite different though, but that's because I started high school (grade 10) in late 2010. And then when 2011 came along everything changed so much again. I'd say early 2010 was the last time before my long depression and dark phase started (the early 2010s era of my personal life). I could respect early 2010 a little though the pop culture and music at that time was very awful though.

Written By: wixness on 06/22/18 at 2:49 pm

9Lg4WM1U3hc

I miss that hairstyle. Now I hate being a guy more because I likely shame the same body parts as other people who are now choosing to wear their hair in a short and ugly style.

Check for new replies or respond here...