inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Microsoft pulls the plug on plans for VR (virtual reality) for Xbox One X

Written By: 2001 on 06/21/18 at 6:45 pm

He ded

Microsoft has completely pulled back on plans to support virtual reality headsets on the Xbox. In an interview with Gamesindustry.biz, Microsoft’s chief marketing officer of gaming Mike Nichols said that “we don’t have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality.” Nichols goes on to say that the PC is “probably the best platform” for virtual and mixed reality, and that for the Xbox, “our focus is primarily on experiences you would play on your TV.”

Spencer described an “over-exuberance” in Microsoft’s early VR plans, and the market has definitely grown more slowly than many imagined. However, Microsoft’s competitor Sony has done reasonably well with its PlayStation VR headset, and Microsoft has gone forward with several PC VR headsets alongside partners like Samsung and Acer. Microsoft is still trying to shore up the Xbox One’s shaky position, though, in part because it overemphasized selling the Kinect motion controller early on. It’s not surprising to see the company’s Xbox VR plans slip away — especially since it’s largely focusing on business uses for its mixed reality headsets.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/20/17485852/microsoft-xbox-one-no-vr-headset-support-windows-mixed-reality-e3-2018

Subject: Re: Microsoft pulls the plug on plans for VR (virtual reality) for Xbox One X

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/18 at 1:24 am

I'm not a big fan of VR.  While it looks cool and is fun, it's just an added cost and takes up a lot of room.  For a game collector like me, between all my Guitar Hero/Rock Band and DDR stuff, I just don't have the space for something that won't fit on a shelf below my TV lol

Subject: Re: Microsoft pulls the plug on plans for VR (virtual reality) for Xbox One X

Written By: Slim95 on 06/22/18 at 1:54 pm

Who cares about Microsoft, VR certainly go along fine without them lol. If they went along with it I bet it would have zero impact on the VR market, nobody would buy Microsoft's implementation of it. They should stick to focusing on the Hololens.

Check for new replies or respond here...