inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sweatpants replacing jeans?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/25/18 at 3:51 pm

I don't really see jeans (outside of shorts and at times ripped jeans) as much as I used to. A lot of women wear leggings and sweatpants; and as of late, at least here, guys are wearing more and more sweatpants (usually name brand). Is it just a local thing or are sweatpants/leggings slowly taking the place of jeans? I know lately I feel old when I wear my jeans, like jeans are a "dad" thing.

Subject: Re: Sweatpants replacing jeans?

Written By: 2001 on 06/25/18 at 3:59 pm

I still wear jeans. Get skinnies, no way you'll look old in them :P But even regular jeans shouldn't make you look old.

As for sweatpants, the athleisure trend has been going strong since 2014 and it's one of the best trends ever! Sweatpants are very comfortable, and the skinny "jogger" variety can look very fitting and not sloppy/lazy. They're also much warmer in winter than jeans (which are terrible insulation tbh), another plus.

Written By: wixness on 06/25/18 at 5:37 pm

I still want jeans to be in - emos don't really wear tracks, for one.

Written By: 2001 on 06/25/18 at 5:44 pm

I still want jeans to be in - emos don't really wear tracks, for one.

My joggers look tighter than my skinny jeans though.

Written By: wixness on 06/25/18 at 5:48 pm

My joggers look tighter than my skinny jeans though.

I know but joggers just don't do it for me I guess. I really don't like the gendered 2010s aesthetic. Even if the fashion got more gender neutral like with this one, it don't mean anything when the guys look more like guys again.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/25/18 at 6:23 pm

I'm not a fan of the sweatpants look, honestly. However stylized, tight or name brand they may be, people just don't look "dressed" in sweatpants. I don't mean they don't look "dressy", I mean they don't look DRESSED. They look like they are hanging around the house or just got out of bed (which sweatpants are fine for).

Written By: 2001 on 06/25/18 at 6:38 pm

I'm not a fan of the sweatpants look, honestly. However stylized, tight or name brand they may be, people just don't look "dressed" in sweatpants. I don't mean they don't look "dressy", I mean they don't look DRESSED. They look like they are hanging around the house or just got out of bed (which sweatpants are fine for).

I think it just depends on the style and the whole ensemble (that's the gayest word I'll ever use). I think the baggy ones can look a bit sloppy, but the tighter ones and the classier looking ones look better than, say, cargo shorts.

https://www.tillys.com/dw/image/v2/BBLQ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog/default/dw8ae1c987/tillys/images/catalog/1000x1000/233785100.jpg?sw=539&sh=693&sm=fit
http://www.outfittrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/3.jpg

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/25/18 at 9:47 pm

Lol where have you been? I chucked all my jeans out years ago and almost only wear sweatpants now :P

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/25/18 at 9:57 pm

Lol where have you been? I chucked all my jeans out years ago and almost only wear sweatpants now :P

Well, definitely not in New Zealand. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/18 at 5:24 am

I don't really see jeans (outside of shorts and at times ripped jeans) as much as I used to. A lot of women wear leggings and sweatpants; and as of late, at least here, guys are wearing more and more sweatpants (usually name brand). Is it just a local thing or are sweatpants/leggings slowly taking the place of jeans? I know lately I feel old when I wear my jeans, like jeans are a "dad" thing.

I see more and more people wear their pajama bottoms walking down the  street and less sweatpants, perhaps they want to feel as comfortable as possible.

Written By: aja675 on 06/26/18 at 9:09 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7aTDMj1zvUElI4TK/giphy.gif

Written By: xenzue on 06/26/18 at 11:45 pm

I think it just depends on the style and the whole ensemble (that's the gayest word I'll ever use). I think the baggy ones can look a bit sloppy, but the tighter ones and the classier looking ones look better than, say, cargo shorts.

We say the fit in my community/age group.

Subject: Sweatpants replacing jeans?

Written By: Dude111 on 06/27/18 at 4:15 am

I wear sweatpants alot :)

Written By: ofkx on 06/27/18 at 1:16 pm

Sweatpants have replaced jeans since 2014.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/18 at 2:10 pm

What about pajama bottoms? I see people wear them a lot, it makes them feel comfortable.

Check for new replies or respond here...