inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the 2020s will be the opposite of the 2010s?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/28/18 at 8:06 pm

Of course, not necessarily the exact opposite, but I mean in terms of the decade "vibe" (for example, a lot of people have called the 2010s a cynical decade - will the 2020s be a relatively "fun" decade?,) pop culture, fashion (I expect that the 2020s will start to have more notable 1990s-2000s throwback fashion,) etc. 

Subject: Re: Do you think the 2020s will be the opposite of the 2010s?

Written By: exodus08 on 06/28/18 at 8:11 pm

It might be different (hopefully)

Written By: mqg96 on 06/28/18 at 8:18 pm

I hate making cultural predictions about the future, but I believe 2024 will be an extremely important, vital year in America. I believe the peak of 2020's culture will be established post-2024. The next solar eclipse in America comes in 2024 too.  :o

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/28/18 at 9:53 pm

Of course, not necessarily the exact opposite, but I mean in terms of the decade "vibe" (for example, a lot of people have called the 2010s a cynical decade - will the 2020s be a relatively "fun" decade?,) pop culture, fashion (I expect that the 2020s will start to have more notable 1990s-2000s throwback fashion,) etc.

I wouldn't exactly call the 2010s cynical. That kind of implies that people feel like nothing can be done about the state of things but this decade has been defined by activism. It's like the 60s but no hippies to cheer us up or gawk at. 

I think if Trump is re-elected, it'll be more of the same or 3x of now until 2024. However, if we get a Dem president, I can see the US and the world calming down and things settling for a while.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/28/18 at 9:57 pm

I wouldn't exactly call the 2010s cynical exactly. That kind of implies that people feel like nothing can be done about the state of things but this decade has been defined by activism. It's like the 60s but no hippies to cheer us up or gawk at. 

I think if Trump is re-elected, it'll be more of the same or 3x of now until 2024. However, if we get a Dem president, I can see the US and the world calming down and things settling for a while.

I feel like it's been a full decade with Trump and we're only in are second year with him.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/28/18 at 10:24 pm

I hate making cultural predictions about the future, but I believe 2024 will be an extremely important, vital year in America. I believe the peak of 2020's culture will be established post-2024. The next solar eclipse in America comes in 2024 too.  :o

I have a feeling 2024 will be the most transitional year since 2008. I don't know why I have that feeling though.  :o

Written By: HeyJealousy on 06/28/18 at 11:14 pm

I wouldn't exactly call the 2010s cynical. That kind of implies that people feel like nothing can be done about the state of things but this decade has been defined by activism. It's like the 60s but no hippies to cheer us up or gawk at. 

Senator Jeff Merkley is reportedly considering a run for the Democratic nomination. I like him. He's a bit of an "outsider", if you will, but he is overly politically qualified unlike you-know-who.

He has a populist streak that may go over well with reluctant Trump voters. Here's to hoping

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 2:09 am

True!  I feel like there will be a continued amount of activism in the 2020s, though I'm kind of hoping that in the 2020s we get more fun/goofy pop culture.  Everything this decade seems so... I don't know, serious.  There seems to be a rise in dystopian films/novels, and even some of the pop music sounds a bit more drawn out and sad to me. 

If we get a Dem president, I'd love to see how things change!  The atmosphere/mood of a decade seems to change whenever a new president comes in.  I really am hoping that we start to feel a bit of a culture change around the 2022-2024 period. 

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 2:10 am

Just curious, do you believe this specifically because of the election, or do you just have a "feeling" about 2024?  Sadly, while I'd love to see 2020s culture come in soon, I feel like at best we'll start to see early signs of it around 2021-2022.  I really want the 2020s to be a 'fun' decade, but I don't think that things are leaning in that direction. 

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/29/18 at 12:09 pm

I really hope so. Pop culture needs a revival from this SJW driven culture. Trap needs to go back how it was in the 00s. Hopefully Netflix will bring back the golden era of TV from 2010 and prior. Cancel culture needs to die a fiery death, too. People need to learn to make informed opinions instead of knee-jerk reactions.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/18 at 12:33 pm

I think the 2020s is going to be a conservative, whitewashed decade where mainstream pop culture is aimed to be very non-offensive and family friendly.  Basically the opposite of the '10s.  Think of how the '80s contrasted to the 60s and 70s.  I think the '20s will be similar when contrasted to the '00s and '10s.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/18 at 12:42 pm

I really hope so. Pop culture needs a revival from this SJW driven culture. Trap needs to go back how it was in the 00s. Hopefully Netflix will bring back the golden era of TV from 2010 and prior. Cancel culture needs to die a fiery death, too. People need to learn to make informed opinions instead of knee-jerk reactions.

I think SJW-driven culture died in late 2016.  You wouldn't have a song like this in 2018.

b-eYbUVZedY

Written By: Dundee on 06/29/18 at 1:56 pm

Hopefully Netflix maintains the golden era of TV from 2010 and after.

Fixed

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 2:02 pm

I think the 2020s is going to be a conservative, whitewashed decade where mainstream pop culture is aimed to be very non-offensive and family friendly.  Basically the opposite of the '10s.  Think of how the '80s contrasted to the 60s and 70s.  I think the '20s will be similar when contrasted to the '00s and '10s.

I agree to some extent, though I don't necessarily think that the 2020s will be conservative, as a lot of people (particularly young people,) seem to be pushing for a more Democratic party from what I've noticed.  I'm hoping for sure that the 2020s will be a more optimistic time in terms of pop culture, though I feel that a lot of people in the world are currently unhappy, and I think that that's something that tends to show in our pop culture, no matter what decade it is :(

Written By: ofkx on 06/29/18 at 2:50 pm

True!  I feel like there will be a continued amount of activism in the 2020s, though I'm kind of hoping that in the 2020s we get more fun/goofy pop culture.  Everything this decade seems so... I don't know, serious. There seems to be a rise in dystopian films/novels, and even some of the pop music sounds a bit more drawn out and sad to me. 

If we get a Dem president, I'd love to see how things change!  The atmosphere/mood of a decade seems to change whenever a new president comes in.  I really am hoping that we start to feel a bit of a culture change around the 2022-2024 period. 

Really? Dystopian movies have been on the way out since 2015. Last popular dystopia movie I remember is Divergent all the way back in 2014. Superhero (mainly Marvel) and animated (The Incredibles 2) movies are currently dominating and on the rise with no sign of stopping, and they're the exact opposite of dystopian movies. But I hope that we got more fun culture too.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/29/18 at 2:53 pm

Just curious, do you believe this specifically because of the election, or do you just have a "feeling" about 2024?  Sadly, while I'd love to see 2020s culture come in soon, I feel like at best we'll start to see early signs of it around 2021-2022.  I really want the 2020s to be a 'fun' decade, but I don't think that things are leaning in that direction.

Here's how I predict the 2020's will play out starting with 2020. Somehow someway Trump gets elected again then all hell breaks lose again and everyone is more angry and more divided than we are now. Trump makes a decision (it could be any) that leads to a bombing in an innocent country by another group that leads to possibly war or some allies we've had for decades start having a problem with us, then the Republicans finally regret that they made a mistake by allowing Trump to get in office but it's too late. Another recession happens again. SJW's and other crazy groups become more extreme and violent. The police is in the process of becoming more militarized due to all the hate on them. So what happens is come late 2023 and 2024 there will be an extreme liberal, all left wing candidate who comes out of no where and will be very popular/appealing to the Dem Party and liberals to save mankind (not) from all the damage Trump caused. This extreme liberal/left wing candidate gets elected in 2024 and the cultural shift is on like it's never been before. Even bigger than 2008. The Democrats will have full control in all positions of Congress like the Republicans currently do now. My whole point is, the anger of Trump being in office is going to make the country go all full out liberal and left wing post-2024. So to include my analysis. 2020-2023 will be an extension of late 10's culture. 2024 and after will be core 2020 vision.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/18 at 3:22 pm

I think the 2020 election is really still up in the air.  A lot of it depends on if the economy holds up.  If there is a downturn or recession between now and 2020 it's unlikely Trump gets re-elected.  If the status quo continues, as awful and stressful as it is, Trump will probably get re-elected.  Either way though, I expect significant riots as well as states attempting to secede.

I'm not sure the left will be able to handle Trump being re-elected and I'm not sure the right will be able to handle him losing.  I'm not sure which outcome is more dangerous to the survival of our country but I think 2020 is going to be the most pivotal election in US history since 1860.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/29/18 at 3:34 pm

There seems to be a rise in dystopian films/novels, and even some of the pop music sounds a bit more drawn out and sad to me. 

Can you give some examples? Because I don't see how today's pop music and films seem "sad".

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/18 at 3:48 pm

Can you give some examples? Because I don't see how today's pop music and films seem "sad".

I agree.  The dystopian film genre was bigger in the mid '10s.  Music was also heavier and more serious in the mid '10s than it is now.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 3:50 pm

Really? Dystopian movies have been on the way out since 2015. Last popular dystopia movie I remember is Divergent all the way back in 2014. Superhero (mainly Marvel) and animated (The Incredibles 2) movies are currently dominating and on the rise with no sign of stopping, and they're the exact opposite of dystopian movies. But I hope that we got more fun culture too.

This is actually true, now that I think about it!  Do you think superhero films will continue to dominate throughout the majority/entirety of the 2020s? 

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 3:54 pm

I agree.  The dystopian film genre was bigger in the mid '10s.  Music was also heavier and more serious in the mid '10s than it is now.

Now that I think about it, perhaps I am thinking more of the mid '10s.  I can't really remember a recent dystopian film, last one I recall came out around the 2014-2015 period.  I remember the pop music being more drawn out around 2016-early 2017 ish, though I'd like to think that pop culture seems to be leaning more toward being "fun."  Do you think the 2020s will be more "Fun?"

Written By: xenzue on 06/29/18 at 4:23 pm

I really don't see this happening at all, and from a demographics standpoint it doesn't seem very likely. In the 80s, Baby Boomers were around 80% white whereas Gen Z is nearly minority-majority, and in urban areas (where most of pop culture is created) they're already overwhelmingly non-white. The 20s is when Gen Z will begin to dominate the pop culture scene like millennials did in the 00s-10s, and they don't seem any more socially conservative than millennials. Anything can happen though, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 4:29 pm

I really don't see this happening at all, and from a demographics standpoint it doesn't seem very likely. In the 80s, Baby Boomers were around 80% white whereas Gen Z is nearly minority-majority, and in urban areas (where most of pop culture is created) they're already overwhelmingly non-white. The 20s is when Gen Z will begin to dominate the pop culture scene like millennials did in the 00s-10s, and they don't seem any more socially conservative than millennials. Anything can happen though, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Yeah, I feel like there's been a lot of progress in the past two decades, and I feel like Millennials/Gen Z won't be leaning toward being conservative anytime soon.  I feel like the 2020s will be a "continuation" of the 2010s in some ways, and yet have a large amount of differences that will be noticeable around 2024-2025. 

Written By: ofkx on 06/29/18 at 5:59 pm

The current #1 song is literally called "Sad!"  ;D. Plus there's songs like "This Is America" and "no tears left to cry" which all handle more depressing subjects.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/29/18 at 7:27 pm

The current #1 song is literally called "Sad!"  ;D. Plus there's songs like "This Is America" and "no tears left to cry" which all handle more depressing subjects.

This is true!  A lot of hip-hop still sounds kind of happy and fun, but there are, of course, some more melancholic hip-hop songs.  In case I haven't asked you yet, what do you see for the 2020s? 

Written By: ofkx on 06/29/18 at 7:43 pm

This is true!  A lot of hip-hop still sounds kind of happy and fun, but there are, of course, some more melancholic hip-hop songs.  In case I haven't asked you yet, what do you see for the 2020s?

I'm hoping for a more futuristic aesthetic to become mainstream that is exact opposite of the hipster aesthetic that has been popular throughout this decade :D. Fashion and other stuff could be more techno and futuristic like the late 90s/early 00s instead of earthy and hipster-y.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/29/18 at 7:50 pm

Nobody knows. Tough to predict the future. Anything can happen but I don't believe the world will be improving in any way.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/18 at 2:54 pm

Nobody knows. Tough to predict the future. Anything can happen but I don't believe the world will be improving in any way.

I think the world will just stay the same as usual.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/18 at 3:04 pm

I was hoping to inform everyone, but there's something wrong with the space-time continuum.

Written By: Milk on 07/01/18 at 10:25 am

I honestly think the 2020s will be an antithesis to the 2010s

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/01/18 at 12:29 pm

I want sleek, bright, and futuristic vibes in the 2020s

Written By: bchris02 on 07/01/18 at 1:32 pm

It already is.  2017-Present is almost the complete opposite of 2010-2016.  2010-2016 was a progressive, optimistic era (though it became increasingly darker as the years wore on).  2017-Present has been almost the complete opposite. The current era is the most right-wing since at least the 1980s if not the 1950s. If you aren't white, heterosexual, cisgender, and Christian, there is a lot to fear right now in America.  Dark entertainment is falling out of favor because it hits too close to home in the current society.

I want sleek, bright, and futuristic vibes in the 2020s

I don't how that happens given were we currently are in society.  If you live in America, we have a nation that refuses to embrace the 21st century and wants to return to the 1950s and is willing to destroy every positive aspect of society in order to achieve that goal.  Our society is run by people who have no idea what the 1950s really entail because they only experienced them through reruns of feel-good sitcoms like Leave it to Beaver and The Andy Griffith Show.  Still, to most people today these shows portray the America they believe once existed and want to make a reality again.

I don't think there has ever been a more stressful time to live than this, at least in modern history.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/01/18 at 4:47 pm

In what particular ways?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/01/18 at 5:34 pm

Umm, you're replying to his post in his quote lmao.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/01/18 at 6:59 pm

Umm, you're replying to his post in his quote lmao.

Lol, thanks!  Just noticed I made that mistake, about to correct it :) Random question here, but do you feel that the 2020s will be incredibly different from the 2010s in terms of fashion?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/01/18 at 7:01 pm

Lol, thanks!  Just noticed I made that mistake, about to correct it :) Random question here, but do you feel that the 2020s will be incredibly different from the 2010s in terms of fashion?

I don't know. It may be different in some ways, like maybe the hairstyles or something. I do feel as if 2010's fashion is going to age horribly though.  ;D

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/01/18 at 7:07 pm

It already is.  2017-Present is almost the complete opposite of 2010-2016.  2010-2016 was a progressive, optimistic era (though it became increasingly darker as the years wore on).  2017-Present has been almost the complete opposite. The current era is the most right-wing since at least the 1980s if not the 1950s. If you aren't white, heterosexual, cisgender, and Christian, there is a lot to fear right now in America.  Dark entertainment is falling out of favor because it hits too close to home in the current society.

I don't how that happens given were we currently are in society.  If you live in America, we have a nation that refuses to embrace the 21st century and wants to return to the 1950s and is willing to destroy every positive aspect of society in order to achieve that goal.  Our society is run by people who have no idea what the 1950s really entail because they only experienced them through reruns of feel-good sitcoms like Leave it to Beaver and The Andy Griffith Show.  Still, to most people today these shows portray the America they believe once existed and want to make a reality again.

I don't think there has ever been a more stressful time to live than this, at least in modern history.

If you're specifically talking about some of the older Boomer Republicans when you say that this is a time to feel fear in America as a minority, atheist, etc. I do see what you mean to some extent, though I actually believe that the 2010s as a whole are a much better time to be a minority, atheist, member of the LGBT community, etc.  And I wouldn't say that 2010-2016 was an optimistic era - optimistic in comparison to this era, sure, but certainly not an optimistic time.  What makes you feel that 2010-2016 was optimistic?

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/01/18 at 7:12 pm

I don't know. It may be different in some ways, like maybe the hairstyles or something. I do feel as if 2010's fashion is going to age horribly though.  ;D

Same, tbh.  A lot of people believe there will be a 2000s revival in terms of fashion during the 2020s, but some part of me urgently hopes not... a lot of 2000s fashion trends were kinda awful, lol.  So many people also think that the 2020s will be the "fun" decade, but I think there would need to be a few societal changes for people on a whole to think of it as a "fun" decade.  I mean, I wouldn't call this decade pessimistic, but I wonder what might have to happen for the world to change from being... not pessimistic, necessarily, right now, but leaning toward pessimistic, to there being a sea of optimism during the 2020s. 

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/01/18 at 7:21 pm

Same, tbh.  A lot of people believe there will be a 2000s revival in terms of fashion during the 2020s, but some part of me urgently hopes not... a lot of 2000s fashion trends were kinda awful, lol.  So many people also think that the 2020s will be the "fun" decade, but I think there would need to be a few societal changes for people on a whole to think of it as a "fun" decade.  I mean, I wouldn't call this decade pessimistic, but I wonder what might have to happen for the world to change from being... not pessimistic, necessarily, right now, but leaning toward pessimistic, to there being a sea of optimism during the 2020s.

Not only was a lot of it awful but the 2020's really doesn't need any sort of revival from past decades. It should be its own thing.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/01/18 at 7:32 pm

The 2010s is not conservative in culture at all, except for the fashion (minus the early '10s where the fashion/clothing was more liberal) For everything else this has been the most liberal decade in history, despite the divisions among Americans.

Written By: John Titor on 07/01/18 at 7:43 pm

There will be, its already happening now its just not mainstream enough yet

Written By: mqg96 on 07/01/18 at 8:00 pm

The 2010s is not conservative in culture at all, except for the fashion (minus the early '10s where the fashion/clothing was more liberal) For everything else this has been the most liberal decade in history, despite the divisions among Americans.

I completely agree, a lot of people from the old generation say "there's no moral values anymore" and "children get away with disrespecting parents more opposed to back then when parents gave children more boundaries" so if anything it's definitely gotten more liberal in America despite the huge divide that's going on especially with Trump being in office now including the Republicans having complete control of the White House and Congress for the first time in modern era. Heck, even someone pointed out on another thread that Hollywood used to be a lot more conservative back then, and we all know how liberal Hollywood has become in this day and time.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/01/18 at 8:49 pm

I completely agree, a lot of people from the old generation say "there's no moral values anymore" and "children get away with disrespecting parents more opposed to back then when parents gave children more boundaries" so if anything it's definitely gotten more liberal in America

Not taking away from your point but people have literally been saying this for decades lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/01/18 at 9:22 pm

Not taking away from your point but people have literally been saying this for decades lol.

Oh yeah I understand and it's annoying as hell TBH. People have too many definitions of what's "moral" and "not moral". It's an endless debate in real life.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/01/18 at 10:06 pm

I hope a more moderate culture will start to dominate the 2020s. In the 2010s, you see two sides of the extreme dominating. On one end you have the far-left SJWs, who push for identity politics and victimhood culture, and on the other end of the extreme, you have the Alt-right/neo-nazis who push for white supremacy. BOTH sides are bad and are detrimental to the future of the U.S. If either side were to get their way, it would mean chaos and instability for the country.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/01/18 at 10:09 pm

I hope a more moderate culture will start to dominate the 2020s. In the 2010s, you see two sides of the extreme dominating. On one end you have the far-left SJWs, who push for identity politics and victimhood culture, and on the other end of the extreme, you have the Alt-right/neo-nazis who push for white supremacy. BOTH sides are bad and are detrimental to the future of the U.S. If either side were to get their way, it would mean chaos and instability for the country.

They both push for identity politics and victimhood culture.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/01/18 at 10:14 pm

If you're specifically talking about some of the older Boomer Republicans when you say that this is a time to feel fear in America as a minority, atheist, etc. I do see what you mean to some extent, though I actually believe that the 2010s as a whole are a much better time to be a minority, atheist, member of the LGBT community, etc.  And I wouldn't say that 2010-2016 was an optimistic era - optimistic in comparison to this era, sure, but certainly not an optimistic time.  What makes you feel that 2010-2016 was optimistic?

2010-2013 were somewhat optimistic.

2014-present, not so much.

And this is probably why I view 2013 as being more like 2010-2012 than 2014-2016.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/01/18 at 10:31 pm

What makes you feel that 2010-2016 was optimistic?

I guess it just feels that way in comparison with 2017-Present.  Things definitely started to get a lot darker around 2013 and I wouldn't consider the mid '10s to be optimistic, especially 2016 which was a very dark year.  It's just the Obama era still had some optimism that is missing today.  I think 2010-2013 was a pretty optimistic time.  The worst of the recession had passed and we could rest in peace knowing that our entire society wasn't about to collapse (this was a big worry in 2008-09), but the stark polarization between the SJWs and the alt-right/religious right hadn't reached its peak yet.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/01/18 at 11:24 pm

If you're specifically talking about some of the older Boomer Republicans when you say that this is a time to feel fear in America as a minority, atheist, etc. I do see what you mean to some extent, though I actually believe that the 2010s as a whole are a much better time to be a minority, atheist, member of the LGBT community, etc. And I wouldn't say that 2010-2016 was an optimistic era - optimistic in comparison to this era, sure, but certainly not an optimistic time.  What makes you feel that 2010-2016 was optimistic?

The only one I might agree with is the LGBT part. As for being an atheist, I'd say it's been pretty okay from the 90s onward, depending on where you live. There's nothing special about the 2010s in this regard. As for being a minority, I would argue, if anything, race relations have gotten a bit worse in the 2010s. The rise of racial identity politics/collectivism, and the pigeonholing of groups of people into "privileged" and "marginalized" has caused quite a bit of division between races. It's become a sort of tribalism. Heck, even within specific racial groups there is division. If a person of a certain group/ethnicity does not behave, act, think in a certain way, or they do not actively practice their culture, they are considered by people of the same group to be "ashamed", or "trying to be white".

The whole notion that a person can be an individual with individual thoughts and experiences, does not seem to be present in the 2010s. It's all become about identity and collectivism. At least in the 90s and 00s, people were aiming to be  more colorblind and see people as individuals as opposed to just colors. But now we've taken a whole 180 and trying to make race matter. As I mentioned before, these identity politics are fueling both sides. There's the white identity politics of the right wing, and the non-white identity politics of the left. And people who just wish to be individuals, like myself, are chastised by both sides. I'm saying this all as a minority myself.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/01/18 at 11:26 pm

They both push for identity politics and victimhood culture.

That's what I meant. In any case, my point stands that both groups will run the country to the ground.

Written By: xenzue on 07/02/18 at 12:40 am

Social Justice has always existed... it's certainly not a 2010s thing, and people have been talking about "PC culture" since the late 80s. Social media just made it easier for SJ ideologies/ideas to spread and now mainstream America is largely divided on SJ issues. Also, I wouldn't say that the alt-right and SJWs are equivalents, it's not fair to compare a group of people who actively want to undermine certain people's human rights with another group of people who mostly want justice for social issues. Fighting for the poor is also social justice, is it not? Then why are the two always being compared? Honestly I think SJW is a buzzword at this point.

The whole notion that a person can be an individual with individual thoughts and experiences, does not seem to be present in the 2010s. It's all become about identity and collectivism. At least in the 90s and 00s, people were aiming to be  more colorblind and see people as individuals as opposed to just colors. But now we've taken a whole 180 and trying to make race matter. As I mentioned before, these identity politics are fueling both sides. There's the white identity politics of the right wing, and the non-white identity politics of the left. And people who just wish to be individuals, like myself, are chastised by both sides. I'm saying this all as a minority myself.

I definitely know what you're talking about, but this is more something you encounter online, I've literally never met someone blurt out anything like: "YOU ARE A STRAIGHT WHITE MALE, YOUR OPINION IS INVALID". Twitter is a whole nother thing, people are big hypocrites there. They care more about being right than actually helping people or hearing their experiences/thoughts. Everything is problematic and anything can get you "cancelled". It's all so dumb. Btw I think culture and identity is an integral part in someone's individuality, at least for many people.

SJWs aren't trying to make race matter, they're fighting against it, some with dumb Tumblr posts (mostly college and HS kids I guess) and others through policy and campaigning. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that racism and other forms of systematic discrimination exist. You could say that SJWs were the ones who got rid of segregation, started the LGBT rights movement, and gave birth the sexual revolution.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/02/18 at 1:28 am

Social Justice has always existed... it's certainly not a 2010s thing, and people have been talking about "PC culture" since the late 80s. Social media just made it easier for SJ ideologies/ideas to spread and now mainstream America is largely divided on SJ issues. Also, I wouldn't say that the alt-right and SJWs are equivalents, it's not fair to compare a group of people who actively want to undermine certain people's human rights with another group of people who mostly want justice for social issues. Fighting for the poor is also social justice, is it not? Then why are the two always being compared? Honestly I think SJW is a buzzword at this point.

I definitely know what you're talking about, but this is more something you encounter online, I've literally never met someone blurt out anything like: "YOU ARE A STRAIGHT WHITE MALE, YOUR OPINION IS INVALID". Twitter is a whole nother thing, people are big hypocrites there. They care more about being right than actually helping people or hearing their experiences/thoughts. Everything is problematic and anything can get you "cancelled". It's all so dumb. Btw I think culture and identity is an integral part in someone's individuality, at least for many people.

SJWs aren't trying to make race matter, they're fighting against it, some with dumb Tumblr posts (mostly college and HS kids I guess) and others through policy and campaigning. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that racism and other forms of systematic discrimination exist. You could say that SJWs were the ones who got rid of segregation, started the LGBT rights movement, and gave birth the sexual revolution.

First off, I'm NOT saying that SJWs and the Alt-Right are equivalents. I'm just saying that both are bad for society. Anyway, you know what I'm referring to when I say SJW. Another term would be the identitarian left, or whatever you want to call them. More to the point, the progressives of the 1960s are of a different stock from the progressives today. The progressives from the 1960s were actually trying promote equal rights at a time when discrimination was protected by the law. I have nothing against actual social justice. The progressives today want to push this "privileged and marginalized" narrative and throw individual experience out the window. Yes, some individuals experience discrimination, and yes, it is a problem. But we shouldn't act like one person's experience represents their entire race. It's not a simple matter of "x race is privileged and y race is marginalized". It is possible that two people of the same race can have nothing in common with each other and have radically different experiences from each other.

Now, that being said, given the current state of affairs, if I had to pick a side in this current conflict, if just temporarily, I'd pick the so-called SJWs side. I do think that the Alt-Right is the more harmful group overall in that they want to essentially bring society back to the 1950s. And of course I wouldn't want that as a minority myself. But I will NEVER be convinced that the modern day, identitarian-left are "the good guys". The funny thing is, that I used to believe they were, when I was 19 or 20. I used to buy into all that victim-hood crap and I always felt powerless. But then I stopped and thought about it that I was never really discriminated due to my race. Sure I had problems growing up (who doesn't) but it was mostly because I was socially awkward. As I got older I realized how these ideas of innate privilege and innate marginalization were stupid. In my eyes, the people who are truly born privileged are people that are born rich.

Written By: Wobo on 07/02/18 at 10:25 am

The 2020s will hopefully be different not sure.

Written By: ofkx on 07/02/18 at 11:02 am

The only one I might agree with is the LGBT part. As for being an atheist, I'd say it's been pretty okay from the 90s onward, depending on where you live. There's nothing special about the 2010s in this regard. As for being a minority, I would argue, if anything, race relations have gotten a bit worse in the 2010s. The rise of racial identity politics/collectivism, and the pigeonholing of groups of people into "privileged" and "marginalized" has caused quite a bit of division between races. It's become a sort of tribalism. Heck, even within specific racial groups there is division. If a person of a certain group/ethnicity does not behave, act, think in a certain way, or they do not actively practice their culture, they are considered by people of the same group to be "ashamed", or "trying to be white".

The reason for that is because people realized that colorblindness doesn't work. Even if your intentions are good, colorblindness is usually just a way for majority groups to avoid discussing racism, and it undermines the problems minority groups have to face. It's also something that only white people can be, since race does affect poc's lives. White people can be colorblind since their race will rarely affect the opportunities and experiences they will have in their lives and they will probably never be judged by their race, but minority groups can't be colorblind since their race will and does affect their lives and how they're perceived. Perhaps someday in the future when racism is truly abolished, colorblindness can be good, but right now we have to acknowledge that yes, race does matter and it does play a major role in people's lives. It's the only way we can fix racism.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/02/18 at 11:39 am

The reason for that is because people realized that colorblindness doesn't work. Even if your intentions are good, colorblindness is usually just a way for majority groups to avoid discussing racism, and it undermines the problems minority groups have to face. It's also something that only white people can be, since race does affect poc's lives. White people can be colorblind since their race will rarely affect the opportunities and experiences they will have in their lives and they will probably never be judged by their race, but minority groups can't be colorblind since their race will and does affect their lives and how they're perceived. Perhaps someday in the future when racism is truly abolished, colorblindness can be good, but right now we have to acknowledge that yes, race does matter and it does play a major role in people's lives. It's the only way we can fix racism.

You don't know what you're talking about. If people were treated as individuals as opposed to colors, that would be the first step to fixing racism. You still seem to be buying into all this collectivist crap. For the last time ONE PERSON'S EXPERIENCE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE ENTIRE RACE! Just because someone of a certain race experience's racism, does not mean a person of the same race is doomed to have the same experience. There is no innate marginalization or privilege. Like I mentioned before I'm a minority myself, but I never considered myself marginalized. Yeah there are some minorities who struggle, and something should be done about that, but it should be on an INDIVIDUAL BASIS. Anyone of any race can be a victim of racism. Pushing for identity politics and the whole "marginalized/privileged" narrative will only cause more division and conflict.

And when I say division and conflict, I don't just mean between different races, but also between different people of the same race (surprise, surprise, they do exist). I see that you conveniently ignored the last two sentences of my first paragraph (as well as the entirety of my second paragraph), otherwise you would probably have a better understanding of where I'm coming from. Instead you just decided to react to one sentence without trying to understand the context behind it. Whenever somebody of a certain race has certain beliefs or opinions, or has specific tastes that are contrary to their supposed racial "group", then they are accused of trying to be "white", or being "ashamed of who they are". The second phrase is particularly ignorant because one's race does not necessary define "who" they are. It may be "what" they are, but "who" they are on an individual basis could be a whole different thing.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/02/18 at 11:46 am

First off, I'm NOT saying that SJWs and the Alt-Right are equivalents. I'm just saying that both are bad for society. Anyway, you know what I'm referring to when I say SJW. Another term would be the identitarian left, or whatever you want to call them. More to the point, the progressives of the 1960s are of a different stock from the progressives today. The progressives from the 1960s were actually trying promote equal rights at a time when discrimination was protected by the law. I have nothing against actual social justice. The progressives today want to push this "privileged and marginalized" narrative and throw individual experience out the window. Yes, some individuals experience discrimination, and yes, it is a problem. But we shouldn't act like one person's experience represents their entire race. It's not a simple matter of "x race is privileged and y race is marginalized". It is possible that two people of the same race can have nothing in common with each other and have radically different experiences from each other.

Now, that being said, given the current state of affairs, if I had to pick a side in this current conflict, if just temporarily, I'd pick the so-called SJWs side. I do think that the Alt-Right is the more harmful group overall in that they want to essentially bring society back to the 1950s. And of course I wouldn't want that as a minority myself. But I will NEVER be convinced that the modern day, identitarian-left are "the good guys". The funny thing is, that I used to believe they were, when I was 19 or 20. I used to buy into all that victim-hood crap and I always felt powerless. But then I stopped and thought about it that I was never really discriminated due to my race. Sure I had problems growing up (who doesn't) but it was mostly because I was socially awkward. As I got older I realized how these ideas of innate privilege and innate marginalization were stupid. In my eyes, the people who are truly born privileged are people that are born rich.

By what I have seen, the Alt-right wants to go back to medieval times (like women having as much children as they can and women basically following the idea of children, kitchen, church/pagan pantheon for example) and add fringe black metal (Absurd, Naer Mataron, Graveland, Peste Noire) as well as fashwave (Xurious, Cybernazi) to their ideal society.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence that privilege is a wealth thing and not a race thing.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/02/18 at 12:34 pm

By what I have seen, the Alt-right wants to go back to medieval times (like women having as much children as they can and women basically following the idea of children, kitchen, church/pagan pantheon for example) and add fringe black metal (Absurd, Naer Mataron, Graveland, Peste Noire) as well as fashwave (Xurious, Cybernazi) to their ideal society.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence that privilege is a wealth thing and not a race thing.

Don't get me wrong, I do not support the Alt-Right. Never have, never will. As much as I talk about SJWs, I do think the Alt-Right are worse.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/02/18 at 12:41 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do not support the Alt-Right. Never have, never will. As much as I talk about SJWs, I do think the Alt-Right are worse.

I never said that. I was just saying that most, by what I have observed, want to go back to medieval times rather than the 1950's.

Written By: Wobo on 07/02/18 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, I agree the Alt-Right and SJWs are both worse.

Written By: ofkx on 07/02/18 at 1:50 pm

You don't know what you're talking about. If people were treated as individuals as opposed to colors, that would be the first step to fixing racism. You still seem to be buying into all this collectivist crap. For the last time ONE PERSON'S EXPERIENCE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE ENTIRE RACE! Just because someone of a certain race experience's racism, does not mean a person of the same race is doomed to have the same experience. There is no innate marginalization or privilege. Like I mentioned before I'm a minority myself, but I never considered myself marginalized. Yeah there are some minorities who struggle, and something should be done about that, but it should be on an INDIVIDUAL BASIS. Anyone of any race can be a victim of racism. Pushing for identity politics and the whole "marginalized/privileged" narrative will only cause more division and conflict.

And when I say division and conflict, I don't just mean between different races, but also between different people of the same race (surprise, surprise, they do exist). I see that you conveniently ignored the last two sentences of my first paragraph (as well as the entirety of my second paragraph), otherwise you would probably have a better understanding of where I'm coming from. Instead you just decided to react to one sentence without trying to understand the context behind it. Whenever somebody of a certain race has certain beliefs or opinions, or has specific tastes that are contrary to their supposed racial "group", then they are accused of trying to be "white", or being "ashamed of who they are". The second phrase is particularly ignorant because one's race does not necessary define "who" they are. It may be "what" they are, but "who" they are on an individual basis could be a whole different thing.

Funny how you contradict yourself in the same paragraph. Just because you don't consider yourself marginalized doesn't mean others aren't. Just because you haven't been a victim of racism doesn't mean others haven't. Your experience does not represent your entire race. Pretending like racism doesn't exist and that there aren't people whose life are affected by their race and race doesn't matter is unrealistic.

White people are in fact somewhat privileged, that privilege being that they are unlikely to be judged or discriminated against due to their race (although there probably are some white people who have experienced racism). Yes, anyone of any race can be a victim of racism, but you're a lot more likely to experience racism if you're not white. We have to eliminate the differences between races so that we can treat people as individuals separate from their race. Now I'm not saying that we should treat people differently because of their race, but we shouldn't pretend that they don't have a race and treat race like a bad and taboo thing that shouldn't be talked about or discussed (which is what racial colorblindness does).

And no, I didn't "conveniently ignore" anything. I understand where you're coming from and I agree that people of your own race shouldn't accuse you of "trying to be white", and I acknowledge that that happens, and I agree that you should be able to do what you want and your race shouldn't define who you are and what you like. I just don't agree that colorblindness is the best solution.
(PS next time you want someone to respect your opinion, maybe don't start off by saying that they don't know what their talking about  :) )

Written By: xenzue on 07/02/18 at 1:55 pm

Whenever somebody of a certain race has certain beliefs or opinions, or has specific tastes that are contrary to their supposed racial "group", then they are accused of trying to be "white", or being "ashamed of who they are". The second phrase is particularly ignorant because one's race does not necessary define "who" they are. It may be "what" they are, but "who" they are on an individual basis could be a whole different thing.

This is true lol... Little off topic but it pisses me off that people consider Rock and Electronic music white people music, and if it is who cares? I can listen to whatever I want, it don't mean hate myself. This is a big reason why pop culture is so stagnant today

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/02/18 at 2:29 pm

Funny how you contradict yourself in the same paragraph. Just because you don't consider yourself marginalized doesn't mean others aren't. Just because you haven't been a victim of racism doesn't mean others haven't. Your experience does not represent your entire race. Pretending like racism doesn't exist and that there aren't people whose life are affected by their race and race doesn't matter is unrealistic.

White people are in fact somewhat privileged, that privilege being that they are unlikely to be judged or discriminated against due to their race (although there probably are some white people who have experienced racism). Yes, anyone of any race can be a victim of racism, but you're a lot more likely to experience racism if you're not white. We have to eliminate the differences between races so that we can treat people as individuals separate from their race. Now I'm not saying that we should treat people differently because of their race, but we shouldn't pretend that they don't have a race and treat race like a bad and taboo thing that shouldn't be talked about or discussed (which is what racial colorblindness does).

And no, I didn't "conveniently ignore" anything. I understand where you're coming from and I agree that people of your own race shouldn't accuse you of "trying to be white", and I acknowledge that that happens, and I agree that you should be able to do what you want and your race shouldn't define who you are and what you like. I just don't agree that colorblindness is the best solution.
(PS next time you want someone to respect your opinion, maybe don't start off by saying that they don't know what their talking about  :) )

That wasn't a contradiction. I was giving an example of individual experience. I was NOT claiming that my personal experience represents everyone in my "group". Quite the opposite, in fact. I was giving myself as an example of individual experience. It was to counter this idea of default privilege/disadvantage based on race. NOWHERE in my post did I claim that my experience reflects everyone in my group. I'm not saying we should pretend that racism doesn't exist. If someone experiences racism, then yes people should speak up about it. But we shouldn't pretend that based on that one individual's experience that the entire race is marginalized. Essentially, I don't believe groups are marginalized or privileged, but I do think individuals can be.

How do you know that there aren't at least some white people being judged or discriminated for their race? Do you know every single white person? No. The same way you do not know every single minority. Therefore you cannot say for sure that whites as a whole a privileged and non-whites as a whole are not privileged.

Colorblindness does not treat race as a taboo. It's just a means of treating people as individuals with individual experiences, which is closer to reality than the idea that everyone's experiences are tied to their collective group. If an individual has experienced racism they should be allowed to talk about it. But they shouldn't claim to represent their group or claim that it's their "group's experience". If a certain individual wants to actively practice their culture, that's also fine, but they shouldn't try to shame those who do not do so.

I appreciate that you respect my choice to not be defined by my race, but I think you and I have very different ideas of what colorblindness is.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/02/18 at 2:47 pm

I hope so. We need to have a period where most of the culture is cheerful and not bleak. The 2010s since 2014-15 has been nothing, but a pessimist era. I honestly thought it would be the best decade and all, but unfortunately, it didn't deliver like the early 10s.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/04/18 at 3:49 pm

I hope so. We need to have a period where most of the culture is cheerful and not bleak. The 2010s since 2014-15 has been nothing, but a pessimist era. I honestly thought it would be the best decade and all, but unfortunately, it didn't deliver like the early 10s.

Yeah, the early 10s were a great time in my personal life, and I felt that they were a great time for pop culture.  Things weren't necessarily 100% optimistic, but I will admit that it felt a more cheery time than the 2014-2018 period as of far has felt.  Do you have any particular predictions for the 2020s?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/04/18 at 4:13 pm

Yeah, the early 10s were a great time in my personal life, and I felt that they were a great time for pop culture.  Things weren't necessarily 100% optimistic, but I will admit that it felt a more pleasant time than the 2014-2018 period as of far has felt.  Do you have any particular predictions for the 2020s?
Yeah. We will most likely have a new president in 2021. I don't think Trump will win again due to his approval ratings. I also think tech will get better, and I say there will be a new face in the beauty industry replacing the Kardashians.

Written By: ofkx on 07/04/18 at 6:00 pm

Yeah. We will most likely have a new president in 2021. I don't think Trump will win again due to his approval ratings. I also think tech will get better, and I say there will be a new face in the beauty industry replacing the Kardashians.

I really hope that difference in tech between the 2010s and the 2020s will be as big as the one between the 1990s and the 2000s, or even at least the one between the 2000s and the 2010s. I can't wait for self-driving cars to become normal and I really hope robots actually become common and good 😍.

Written By: Wobo on 07/04/18 at 6:33 pm

I rather have a new president to start off the new decade because i want a president to represent the 2020s, like how Bush represented the 2000s and Clinton representing 90s and Reagan with the 80s.

Written By: CarCar on 05/15/21 at 9:24 am

LMFAOOOOO

Written By: deloresthegreat on 06/09/21 at 5:47 pm

Lol, I assume you're saying that bc of the pandemic n all?

Written By: CarCar on 06/09/21 at 6:42 pm

Lol, I assume you're saying that bc of the pandemic n all?

Well they weren’t wrong about the 90s and 2000s throwback

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 06/22/21 at 7:19 am

Here's to hoping.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 7:27 am

Yes,

2010s going out

2020s staying in

Check for new replies or respond here...