inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the Mall making a comeback for the 2020s ?

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/18 at 12:36 pm

Slowpoke was recently commenting how his mall was Packed just like it was in the 2000's and I am going to have to overthink this,
the last few times I was at the  (A type performance malls) it was indeed packed , now I don't know if this is because of the summer or what
but the last 4 times I have gone in May/June the mall was completely packed.  This is of course ignoring the Dying malls that are not getting any traffic.

Subject: Re: Is the Mall making a comeback for the 2020s ?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/18 at 12:49 pm

Slowpoke was recently commenting how his mall was Packed just like it was in the 2000's and I am going to have to overthink this,
the last few times I was at the  (A type performance malls) it was indeed packed , now I don't know if this is because of the summer or what
but the last 4 times I have gone in May/June the mall was completely packed.  This is of course ignoring the Dying malls that are not getting any traffic.

People have overstated the "death of the mall" in my opinion.  All decade the Class A malls that typically have upscale, trendy stores have been doing very well.  It's the malls that are still stuck in the late 90s and haven't been updated since then that are struggling.  They appeal to a demographic that by and large doesn't go to the mall anymore. The mall near where I live falls into that category.  It's a pretty depressing place.

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/18 at 1:01 pm

People have overstated the "death of the mall" in my opinion.  All decade the Class A malls that typically have upscale, trendy stores have been doing very well.  It's the malls that are still stuck in the late 90s and haven't been updated since then that are struggling.  They appeal to a demographic that by and large doesn't go to the mall anymore. The mall near where I live falls into that category.  It's a pretty depressing place.

Those B type malls are slowly deteriorating  from the inside, but yes the A malls are doing good and getting even more stores, Even the outdoor malls that are now getting more popular on east coast are getting bowling alleys and movie theaters, in fact the one near me just got an AMC

Written By: bchris02 on 06/29/18 at 1:19 pm

Those B type malls are slowly deteriorating  from the inside, but yes the A malls are doing good and getting even more stores, Even the outdoor malls that are now getting more popular on east coast are getting bowling alleys and movie theaters, in fact the one near me just got an AMC

I really wish the movie theater at my mall would get an update.  It's also straight out of the 90s and is really showing its age.  I think that malls simply have lifespans and they run their course if they aren't updated from time to time to adjust to current trends.  People who lived through the 80s and 90s probably remember the older-style malls that were built during the 60s and 70s.  Typically they are much smaller than a modern Class A mall and have only one level.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/34/db/7634db1d5727e6d62c8b785db7bb670d.jpg

Not many of these malls are left and most of them are in smaller towns that never could support a super-regional, two-level mall.  Most of them didn't even make it into this decade.  I think we are currently seeing the same thing happen to malls built in the 80s and 90s that haven't been updated.

Written By: John Titor on 06/29/18 at 1:46 pm

Looks like it , its funny how 90s mall's without an update seemed somewhat decent for so long , now those 80s manufactured mall's are going the way of the dinosaur , I remember those 70s mall's being around in the early 90s they seemed very dead even then . complete nightmare that those ones survied even into the eArly 2000s

Written By: ofkx on 06/29/18 at 2:37 pm

Shopping centers aren't dead to begin with. The only ones that are dying in my area are the ones that haven't updated since the 80s/90s and still expect people to come to shop.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/29/18 at 3:20 pm

Shopping centers aren't dead to begin with. The only ones that are dying in my area are the ones that haven't updated since the 80s/90s and still expect people to come to shop.

Yeah, I agree.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/18 at 3:45 pm

That's because more and more people are shopping online rather than shopping in store.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/18 at 4:07 am

Shopping centers aren't dead to begin with. .
The ones here are doing good business, always busy, and have never faded away.

In fact, I was in one a few days ago, and will be again one day next next.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/30/18 at 2:36 pm

Shopping centers aren't dead, to begin with. The only ones that are dying in my area are the ones that haven't updated since the 80s/90s and still expect people to come to shop.

Mine is.  There's practically nothing in there.  All of the stores big name box stores have either left the mall or they've gone out of business.  Zellers actually went out of business 4 years ago and our mall's store contract was never picked up by Target.  8-P 8-P
Cotton Ginny also went out of business, for what reason I don't know, but that was one of my favourite places to shop.

Written By: Milk on 06/30/18 at 2:38 pm

I don't why people say shopping malls are dead. They're always packed where I live in fact they just built a new one recently.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/18 at 2:48 pm

The ones here are doing good business, always busy, and have never faded away.

In fact, I was in one a few days ago, and will be again one day next next.

The Queens Mall is doing good business, they're always opening new stores.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/01/18 at 10:23 pm

I WISH

https://hobbydb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/processed_uploads/subject_photo/subject_photo/image/29351/1502220555-24261-8795/WISH_large.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 07/01/18 at 10:35 pm

I don't why people say shopping malls are dead. They're always packed where I live in fact they just built a new one recently.

Depends on where you live.

I wish the mall here would come back but I don't see it.  The town is too small to attract the kind of mall stores doing well right now.  You won't see an Urban Outfitters or Nordstrom here.  Middle class families have left the mall and probably aren't coming back.  That doesn't bode well for the lower-end malls.

The city I moved from in 2012 had 5 malls and they were all doing very well.

Written By: musicguy93 on 07/02/18 at 1:33 am

Are malls making a comeback? I have no clue. The mall near where I live is going through some renovations which will be complete sometime in 2019. I think in order for malls to make a comeback, there needs to be more variety. Not just boring hipster clothing shops, and crappy hip-hop/trap attire, and the usual overpriced clothing stores. They need to have stuff that will bring people in.

Written By: Wobo on 07/02/18 at 12:00 pm

I can imagine a futuristic cyber mall in the 2020s.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/03/18 at 5:24 am

I can imagine a futuristic cyber mall in the 2020s.  ;D

What would that look like? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/18 at 9:15 pm

They are not dead, but they have been declining ever since the popularity of online shopping. I'm sure there are stats somewhere on the inter webs to back up what I'm saying, but I'm too lazy to check. Someone can do the honours.

Check for new replies or respond here...