inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Suburbs making a comeback

Written By: John Titor on 07/02/18 at 11:58 am

https://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/2018/07/02/nj-suburbs-cool-again-millennials-others-return-affordable-homes/717281002/

Suburbs were popping back in the 2000s until around 2007 (some say on this website) thats when people moved to the city,
but now it seems like we are going back !

Subject: Re: Suburbs making a comeback

Written By: Milk on 07/02/18 at 12:41 pm

interesting

Written By: ofkx on 07/02/18 at 1:53 pm

Ah, yes, the Great Migration of 2007 when everyone left the suburbs.
This is getting ridiculous. First malls, now this? lol

Written By: xenzue on 07/02/18 at 2:09 pm

The average millennial is in their early 30s, so this is not too surprising. I don't know if this is a nationwide trend tho. Anyways... this is really bad for the environment, but what can you expect with NIMBYism being so rampant across the US?  If US cities began to build new cheap and dense housing, I'd guarantee you the cities would boom again. I wouldn't have a problem with suburbs if they weren't so car-oriented. I would like if US developers imitate European or Japanese suburbs, but building/zoning laws wouldn't allow that. Oh well.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/02/18 at 2:19 pm

Interesting, I thought the move to cites would last another few decades since most of the move to the suburbs was a mid-late 20th ceuntry thing. I guess Gen Z will keep urban development alive once they get old enough to buy homes. I think it also depends on the area as well, the tri-state area is pretty large and densely populated so it will be more practical to live in cities like Newark or Jersey City than to New York City.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/02/18 at 2:29 pm

I was the one who linked that article in my thread.....

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56023.180

There's no need for multiple threads topics.

Written By: John Titor on 07/02/18 at 2:51 pm

I was the one who linked that article in my thread.....

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56023.180

There's no need for multiple threads topics.

I actually saw the topic while browsing the website, had no clue you even linked it and if I saw it in a thread I didn't click the lick

Written By: whistledog on 07/02/18 at 2:55 pm

I hear pavements are making a comeback.  Say goodbye to cement

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/02/18 at 9:06 pm

Ah yes, because suburbs totally vanished during the 2010s. Must have been as a result of the Late 2008 shift.

Written By: Dundee on 07/03/18 at 12:44 pm

Ah yes, because suburbs totally vanished during the 2010s. Must have been as a result of the Late 2008 shift.
Nah it happened sooner, in the late-2006-shift-that-changed-everything

Written By: John Titor on 01/04/19 at 10:05 pm

bump

Written By: Dundee on 01/10/19 at 8:23 pm

Didn't know entire parts of cities could vanish for a decade, glad they're back then!
lol

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/19 at 11:03 pm

I've been living in the suburbs since the day I was born. I never even knew they left.  ???

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/19 at 11:31 pm

"Inner city" used to be synonymous with dirty, drug and crime-ridden. That image changed with trend of gentrification of many inner city neighbours. It started in the late 1990s and really picked up steam after the recession.

In contrast, suburbs—which provide the vast chunk of affordable housing—have poor access to public transport and public services. With the heroin epidemic and manufacturing exodus, many suburbs have earned reputations that was once characteristic of inner cities. Of course this isn't true for most suburbs, but it is true for many.

Seeing as its mostly people who can't afford to live in the big city that are being talked about in the article, I don't see any signs that a new trend is emerging. It was always rich millennials crowding into the big cities.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/10/19 at 11:42 pm

It was always rich millennials crowding into the big cities.

I hate big cities. Even if I were rich I wouldn't choose to live there.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/19 at 11:49 pm

I hate big cities. Even if I were rich I wouldn't choose to live there.

I loved living in downtown Toronto, but I love living close to nature more. I'm happier in my suburb that's surrounded by some rural landscapes :D

Check for new replies or respond here...