inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you feel you will survive the next decade?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/05/18 at 11:27 pm

I am 27. Last December I lost the first girl I ever fell in love with, unrequited. A friend. The first person I ever shared a smoke with, had pot with, drank with, had many adventures with. She was an amazing human being, taken away from us by heroin, at age 26. Seeing her lying there in that coffin changed me. This entire year I have felt a fragility I guess, a heaviness of the spirit. I almost feel like death is shadowing me. I am not suicidal but I do not feel like I have a long life ahead in all honesty. Seeing the death of a girl I followed also on Youtube - she was a cancer sufferer who kept a VLog and for eight long years fought with dignity, humor and vibrancy against it. Emily Hayward was her name, look her up - has added to this. I watched in the last month as the light drained from her eyes slowly and she was then take away. I do not and have never used heroin or any hard drugs; I do not believe I have cancer although I am at risk in the future. But nonetheless, I feel it following me, just like I felt there was a social revolution on the horizon in the next decade back in 2009 (I have often been called an empath). I don't know when or where or how but I rate my odds of making it to 40 as slim; perhaps sometime early next decade. I just feel it in me.

Anyone else looking on the 2020s gloomily?

Subject: Re: Do you feel you will survive the next decade?

Written By: Elor on 07/06/18 at 4:51 am

Warning: Insensitive rant ahead, don't read if you're feeling down.

Why do people do drugs? I don't get it. Don't they teach you at home or in school what that stuff does to you? It's not just that those people destroy their own lives but they often take their family and friends with them and with drugs comes crime and once you're hooked it's pretty much game over and an almost unstoppable downwards spiral that often leads to prison and/or death. Why on earth do people even start doing that stuff??? >:(

I'm sorry 90s guy but I had to get that off my chest. You see drugs are a form of self chosen enslavement. No one forces people to start doing drugs (to my knowledge). They start voluntarily and then the drugs take over and enslave the person (and those people should be smart enough to know that that will happen for crying out loud! I already knew that before I turned 10). As tragic as your friends death was it was chosen by her. You don't have to make the same mistake and if you're smart you'll never be in that place and can cancel out this type of death for you.

As to the girl dying of cancer I can only say that live isn't always fair. Some good people don't get to live while some real turds live for over 100 years. That's the risk of being alive. There is no 100% safety for non of us. Even if you treat your body right there is always a risk but it is up to us to keep that risk as low as possible. Statistics show that you have a good chance of becoming old these days. Use the life you have left. It's easier said than done and I'm struggling myself with that but there's no point in feeling miserable all the time over things that haven't even happened yet and might actually never happen.

Written By: Wobo on 07/06/18 at 6:54 am

I will survive if i eat, get my own house, pay my rent, you know that stuff.

Written By: graciee on 07/06/18 at 9:40 am

I will survive the 2020s. I will be 17-26. I will be a teenager and an adult.

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/18 at 10:05 am

I had a friend die recently at the age of 26 from pneumonia + resulting colon/blood problems. Anything can happen.  :\'(

However, I plan on being alive, seeing as I'll be 27-36 the next decade and mortality rates are minimal. Knowing myself though, I could probably die testing a self-driving car, skydiving, or eating from a sketchy food stall in China. IDK.

I don't do drugs (with the exception of caffeine). Gave up alcohol earlier this year too. I want to try marijuana once, though, once it's legal here in October, but I definitely do not want to make it a habit.

Written By: prodanny288 on 07/06/18 at 2:50 pm

MAYBE.......... MAYBE NOT........

Written By: Howard on 07/06/18 at 3:07 pm

I certainly hope so, I would like to see me in my old age.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/06/18 at 3:09 pm

I'm 13, so I'd hope that I'll survive through the 2020s.  Think that I will, but with the state of the economy, it might be a bit difficult.

Written By: Dundee on 07/06/18 at 5:34 pm

Sorry for your loss 90s Guy :(
But overall I don't think this is a good mindset for anyone to have. Life has its hardships regardless of the time period set in. Like said, a lifetime is limited and the worst would be to waste with nihilism and/or pessimism. In hard times, it can brighten you to always look forward to better times and not on the bad as with that it's always a mindtrap you're putting yourself in.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/06/18 at 7:57 pm

"Whom the gods love die young"
I am not one of them and will likely live to old age, to decrepitude; there will not be 100 mourners for me.

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/18 at 8:11 pm

"Whom the gods love die young"
I am not one of them and will likely live to old age, to decrepitude; there will not be 100 mourners for me.

What's with all the sad posts??  :(

Written By: aja675 on 07/06/18 at 8:36 pm

Sometimes I have edgy thoughts like, maybe life without your innocence is not life at all and maybe child murderers did their victims a favor. But of course, everybody knows that most of the time, when a thought of yours is driven by edge and anger, it's most likely probably wrong. I only think this way because my childhood, while good in itself, made me an emotional cripple. (I think studying in a preppy school made me out of touch compared to everyone else later on.)

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/06/18 at 10:45 pm

What's with all the sad posts??  :(

The death of the one woman I probably ever truly loved, who ironically was a lesbian (nothing wrong with that, but it is ironic) and the fact that I have an incredibly dysfunctional family and feel pretty empty inside.

Written By: Elor on 07/07/18 at 4:28 am

The death of the one woman I probably ever truly loved, who ironically was a lesbian (nothing wrong with that, but it is ironic) and the fact that I have an incredibly dysfunctional family and feel pretty empty inside.
Maybe you need some external help. If the negative thoughts start to become the dominating part of your life then you should seek help. If you continue to think negatively you'll end up in depression and that will destroy you even more as you can't function normally when you have it. My depression wasn't diagnosed until after I had lost my job because of it and losing my job drove my mindset down even further and the inner critic took over and made everything even worse ("you're a looser, you're unemployed garbage, you'll never amount to anything in your life, no one loves you"...etc). Don't let it come to that.

If you have symptoms like:
- being tired all day long regardless how long you sleep
- short term memory problems
- not being able to focus on what you're doing no matter how hard you try
- feeling empty inside for several weeks in a row
then you should see a doctor and check whether you're suffering from depression.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/18 at 7:22 am

What did she die from?

Written By: Elor on 07/07/18 at 8:28 am

What did she die from?

First post...
She was an amazing human being, taken away from us by heroin, at age 26.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/18 at 12:54 pm

When will the next decade be?

Written By: Elor on 07/07/18 at 3:36 pm

When will the next decade be?
:o
2020 -2029. (though there are people who say 2021-2030)

Written By: Wobo on 07/07/18 at 3:47 pm

2021-2030 is cultural, 2020-2029 is numerical.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/18 at 4:42 pm

I certainly hope so, I would like to see me in my old age.

Same here.

My plans include making it through the 2020s and beyond, kicking butt and taking names.  8)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/08/18 at 1:54 pm

I plan on living my life to the fullest.  Making sure to help take care of myself and my family.  :) I'm 42 in September and I've developed a brand new attitude towards "aging" that I never had before I turned 40. 

Written By: Howard on 07/08/18 at 2:48 pm

I don't think My Parents will but I'm pretty sure that I will live to see it.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/18 at 2:48 pm

Same here.

My plans include making it through the 2020s and beyond, kicking butt and taking names.  8)

and not taking any crap from anyone.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/18 at 3:35 pm

and not taking any crap from anyone.

You got that right, Howard.

Written By: Wobo on 07/08/18 at 8:50 pm

MAYBE.......... MAYBE NOT........

Dang it i accidentally gave you a karma. Oh well.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/08/18 at 8:53 pm

For those who don't know, I've been on this site for THREE years and I just recently (a couple days ago) discovered this karma/fudge system. Like wow, I'm archiving all the pluses and few minuses I've gotten on this site throughout the 3 years I've been on here LOL, and I wish I had given other users pluses from years past who aren't on this site often anymore.

Written By: Wobo on 07/08/18 at 8:59 pm

For those who don't know, I've been on this site for THREE years and I just recently (a couple days ago) discovered this karma/fudge system. Like wow, I'm archiving all the pluses and few minuses I've gotten on this site throughout the 3 years I've been on here LOL, and I wish I had given other users pluses from years past who aren't on this site often anymore.

I joined in September 2017 and didn't find out until March 2018 lol.

Written By: wixness on 07/09/18 at 9:12 am

If the 2020s ends up being crappy then I don't think I'd survive it. Even then I just feel like my youth's been wasted because of how the 2010s turned out.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/09/18 at 12:45 pm

;D ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/10/18 at 12:17 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/10/18 at 2:54 am

I hope so, but you never know what's around the corner...

Written By: Howard on 07/10/18 at 7:14 am

I hope so, but you never know what's around the corner...

What's around the corner? :o

Written By: Howard on 07/10/18 at 7:14 am

If I try to take care of myself then hopefully I'll survive.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/10/18 at 9:35 pm

If I try to take care of myself then hopefully I'll survive.

I think you're doing a pretty good job of taking care of yourself Howard.

Written By: Wobo on 07/10/18 at 9:37 pm

I'll probably won't, i can't believe in the next decade i'll have to pay the bills and do all that stuff..

Written By: Howard on 07/11/18 at 7:28 am

At least I try to, paying some of my bills, doing food and/or clothes shopping, taking public transportation by myself and going to and from work.

Written By: Elor on 07/11/18 at 8:43 am

I'll probably won't, i can't believe in the next decade i'll have to pay the bills and do all that stuff..
Don't worry so much. The guy in the next decade will be a lot more competent in that than the guy who you are now. You're still at an age where your skills aren't 100% developed yet and you'll still become better at pretty much everything for the next 10 years or so. Look forward to it. :)

Written By: Wobo on 07/11/18 at 11:26 am

Don't worry so much. The guy in the next decade will be a lot more competent in that than the guy who you are now. You're still at an age where your skills aren't 100% developed yet and you'll still become better at pretty much everything for the next 10 years or so. Look forward to it. :)

Lol yep, i'll just probably laugh at my 14 year old self in the next decade.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/11/18 at 2:08 pm

good advice Elor. :)

Written By: Elor on 07/11/18 at 2:38 pm

Lol yep, i'll just probably laugh at my 14 year old self in the next decade.  ;D
We all laughed at our 14 year old self at 24...and at the 24 year old at 34...
Ah...young and naive... ;D
Now I'm old (sorta) and naive.... :-X

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/11/18 at 3:02 pm

My 14 - 21 year old self is so cringe  8-P

Written By: violet_shy on 07/11/18 at 3:59 pm

I'll survive. I'll be in my 40s. Won't get that far in life because I know how to sew, lol. I can survive any decade.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/11/18 at 10:09 pm

I'll survive. I'll be in my 40s. Won't get that far in life because I know how to sew, lol. I can survive any decade.

I'm already in my 40s.  I'm just hoping that when I turn 45 in a few years, I'll be 42 in September, I'll be able to live by myself.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/12/18 at 5:27 am

and you can cook too, right? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/12/18 at 5:28 am

I'm already in my 40s.  I'm just hoping that when I turn 45 in a few years, I'll be 42 in September, I'll be able to live by myself.  :)

I might be able to live by myself even though I may need help in some areas.

Written By: Wobo on 07/12/18 at 11:29 am

I'll be in my 20s in the next decade, but i'll be 16-19 from 2020-2023.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/12/18 at 10:10 pm

I"ll be 44-50 in the next decade 2020-2026 and I plan on living my life to the fullest as I said previously.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/13/18 at 12:39 am

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...

Written By: Howard on 07/13/18 at 7:28 am

I"ll be 44-50 in the next decade 2020-2026 and I plan on living my life to the fullest as I said previously.

I agree with you.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/13/18 at 11:12 am

Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side. But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong...

Written By: Howard on 07/13/18 at 1:39 pm

Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side. But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong...

I will survive!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/13/18 at 3:54 pm

Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side
but then I spent so many nights just thinking
how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
and I knew how to get along

Written By: aja675 on 07/14/18 at 8:07 pm

Sometimes I have edgy thoughts like, maybe life without your innocence is not life at all and maybe child murderers did their victims a favor. But of course, everybody knows that most of the time, when a thought of yours is driven by edge and anger, it's most likely probably wrong. I only think this way because my childhood, while good in itself, made me an emotional cripple. (I think studying in a preppy school made me out of touch compared to everyone else later on.)
Note to self: next time, go easy on the edge while asking questions on Quora. Because I just framed that as a question there and got BNBR'd again. BTW, I believe that I had a bad childhood in the sense that it was too good. (Not ratchet enough.)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/18 at 12:05 am

We all have to pay our bills.  Think about the interest rates and late penalties if we didn't pay our bills.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/18 at 12:24 am

I would love to, but age does catch on.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/18 at 12:59 pm

I hope that I do survive the next decade because I've been taking care of myself.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/15/18 at 3:13 pm

We all have to pay our bills.  Think about the interest rates and late penalties if we didn't pay our bills.

I pay bills.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/18 at 3:36 pm

Unless you are a hot chick with a sugar daddy. Then he pays all the bills!  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/15/18 at 3:41 pm

;D Okay! I was trying to avoid saying that! Not all of us have what it takes to attract a much older man! But I do pay my own bills or whatever I owe to my dentist or whatever bills need to be paid. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/15/18 at 3:55 pm

I'll let the hot chick pay the bills! :P

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/18 at 3:58 pm

Or a hot guy with a sugar daddy. I got two such propositions the other month  :-X :-X One was a guy who claimed to be 47 but looked 67 and the other was a 37-year old who wouldn't show his face. I told them 'no', with no further explanation.  8-P

Written By: John Titor on 07/15/18 at 4:48 pm

Or a hot guy with a sugar daddy. I got two such propositions the other month  :-X :-X One was a guy who claimed to be 47 but looked 67 and the other was a 37-year old who wouldn't show his face. I told them 'no', with no further explanation.  8-P

go on one of those Sugar Daddy websites and type in your zip code, you will see your whole block on there lol ITs scary!

Written By: 2001 on 07/15/18 at 5:59 pm

go on one of those Sugar Daddy websites and type in your zip code, you will see your whole block on there lol ITs scary!

I just checked and the sugar baby to sugar daddy ratio was 20:1. Looks like it's a buyer's market.  :-X But 90% of the profiles were blank lol.

Written By: aja675 on 07/17/18 at 10:03 pm

Note to self: next time, go easy on the edge while asking questions on Quora. Because I just framed that as a question there and got BNBR'd again. BTW, I believe that I had a bad childhood in the sense that it was too good. (Not ratchet enough.)
It went something like, "Do you sometimes wonder if maybe, child murderers did their victims a favor by not letting them grow old and angsty?"

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/18 at 11:23 am

I won't just survive
Oh you will see me thrive
So I call on my angels
They say
Oh ye of so little faith

Don't doubt it, don't doubt it
Victory is in my veins
You know it, you know it
And I will not negotiate
I'll fight it, I'll fight it
I will transform!

When the fire's at my feet again
And all the vultures all start circling
They're whispering: you're out of time
But still, I rise!
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in
Think again!
Don't be surprised, I will still rise!

Written By: Howard on 07/18/18 at 2:47 pm

What about Sugar Mommies?

Check for new replies or respond here...